Julius Randle Fans/Critics Study
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has Julius Randle won you over this season?
Didn't have to. I've always been a believer!
29%
 29%  [ 40 ]
I was cautiously optimistic. And he's done it!
33%
 33%  [ 45 ]
I wasn't a fan at first, but dammit I'm on board now!
17%
 17%  [ 24 ]
I like what I'm seeing. Almost there!
13%
 13%  [ 18 ]
Not a fan. Still waiting to change my mind on him.
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Don't like his game. Let him walk!
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 135

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

His "daddy" posts on the LG too.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

"Almost there" for me. The lack of shooting is a big concern for me because it requires that he play with a stretch 5. For the right price you definitely want to keep him. But I don't see the Lakers sacrificing one of the 2 max slots for him, so it depends on what sort of offers he gets.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Surprised to see so many "always a believer" votes. They sure weren't as vocal last year
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Surprised to see so many "always a believer" votes. They sure weren't as vocal last year

I think a lot of guys have selective memory of the ten minutes they were happy with him in 2015... and somehow remember it as always being that way...lol
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

"Cautiously optimistic". He's always had the talent, but the predictable offensive fouls, TO's, and other bone headed mistakes were mind numbing, and he deserves tons of credits for greatly eliminating most of those from his game.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Still cautiously optimistic but his upside is highly intriguing . Hes already making an impact and there’s still a lot of holes in his game from shooting and footwork.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

They were plenty vocal, it's just that they were on the 'let him walk' side last year
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I was pretty done with him coming into the season. I did not see the improvement in defense/inside scoring efficiency coming. I hope we keep him, he's been a huge part of the turnaround lately.
singlecamVTEC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Was cautiously optimistic..

Tbh, was tired of dude driving to his left, spin and then get stripped or just losing the ball altogether on a simple drive.

Now he's just bullying, and passing when he needs to.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
"Almost there" for me. The lack of shooting is a big concern for me because it requires that he play with a stretch 5. For the right price you definitely want to keep him. But I don't see the Lakers sacrificing one of the 2 max slots for him, so it depends on what sort of offers he gets.

Same for me. His finishing on the pick and roll is what I like about his game the most.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject:

looking at the results of this poll.....some y'all not honest
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I disliked him coming into the season and the first half of this season...I thought he was low IQ and didn’t bring the things to the table I liked..shooting, defense, good decision making.

Since he came back into the starting lineup, I have been moderately impressed. He has played less out of control and is finishing better around the basket and his defense is now average.

I wouldn’t say I’m a fan or that he’s won me over, but if this type of effort and intelligence is sustainable then I’m excited about extending him for 10-14 million. I don’t think he’s an all star type talent, but he has been contributing and impressing.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

He's proven me wrong.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

He has grown as much as any other player on this team this year, especially in the last couple months. Hope we can keep him for the next few years.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Mine is the third option, I jumped on board about 2 months ago. Randle the first couple of years reminded me of all the bad parts about Andrew Bynum. Talented guy, not a lot of college, hurt very early, didn't know how to play with other men, especially more than a layup distance away from the basket. HORRIBLE outside shot, maybe one of the worst of the last 10 years in the NBA. Kind of sulky, not getting handed things like he did at Kentucky. Players like Randle are one of my major dislikes of the high school to NBA or 1 and done players. Haven't really had enough training and are not ready for the big time. Randle made some NBA bust lists in some blogs the last year, so yeah I wasn't on board.

I've been a sucker for the later bloomers, the scrappy-doo guys, who lacked some talent or particular skills, but really gave it all in practice and when they played on the floor. Guys who played 3-4 years in college like Clarkson, Nance, Kuzma are really just more ready to play, they actually understand the game of basketball better.

To be fair, it takes these guys awhile to figure things out and start reaching their potential. BI seems to be well on his way in his second year. Lonzo is already starting to adjust and will be better next year. Randle lost a year and its taken him 2 1/2 years to start putting his game together. If he learns to shoot, he can a very very good player.

I got on board when Randle started playing that good defense, especially on switches. I think like Scoobs said too, when Clarkson and Nance were traded out, it really opened things up for Randle offensively. The market may be as high as $18 million, but I'm hoping that the lack of cap space around the league will keep Randle to around $12-15 million a year.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Game against the Suns I think a year or two back when Randle was going against Chandler in a really chippy way and was doing all kinds of things to him. Randle gets the ball, does a dance like he's gonna drive (crowd is HOT for him watching the show) and passes it off for the assist with a smile (and put away the game I believe). It was than that I knew Randle could be something. That game showed me he's got something most NBA players today are missing: competitive spirit/hunger. So I've been a fan ever since (that and his totally enthusiastic but illegal screens for Kobe in his last game showed me something)
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
he's turning into a very good player BUT I'm definitely not sold on us handing him out a huge contract which in return kills our ability to sign FAs that could be even better help.
I think history has proven time and again that the traditional PF position is about the last position you should invest big $$$ at. Just look at how rare a high scoring PF has lead a team to a championship?

The notable exceptions where the PF was highest paid or best player on a championship team?
Dirk - extremely good shooter, played more like a wing player
Duncan - extremely good defender and rebounder, played more like a center
KG - extremely good defender and rebounder, was never really a high scorer and had 3.5 all star level players around him

Teams are much better off having their talent at other positions and having a more role player type PF who has very high "off the ball value" with traits like extremely good defense, rebounding, and/or perimeter shooting... something Julius is not
thats not the reason why those guys aside from timmy D. did not win a lot of rings.

KG would get in his own way when it came time for him to just be a scorer and kill his man. he would be too passive. to this day he left the lakers off the hook in that minny series. he was more of an aggressive rebounder/defender than he was an aggressive scorer. Dirk was a shooter scorer but who was soft and suspect on defense. dirk could pass ok.

barkley didnt play defense. Karl malone needed stockton to be as effective as he was his entire career. not knocking the mail man. but the mail man didnt have the handles of a Randle to get by his man in 1 on 1 situations without a stockton to perfectly set him up for 50 to 60% of his points.

Randle is a different beast. He's starting to look like Sir charles with actual defense. what the heck is that? If charles played real defense. he would've been a champion.

Randle is not a normal PF from the old days either. He's new school. he's a tweener. PF/SF, who can also play a little C.

If by some miracle he ever gets a money david west mid range jumper and a 3 ball. He's going to become a superstar barring injury of course. He is a middle class version of lebron james right now. If you have noticed bron has won a few ships too. now we also know bron hasnt won a thing without a lot of help. So i'm not saying Randle could do it alone like say hakeem the dream did it. randle will need just as much as help as LBJ.

You give me a prime randle with a jumper and more precise bully ball and made ft's. add on two other allstars. and we will win some rings. you can count on it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Sojo wrote:
Game against the Suns I think a year or two back when Randle was going against Chandler in a really chippy way and was doing all kinds of things to him. Randle gets the ball, does a dance like he's gonna drive (crowd is HOT for him watching the show) and passes it off for the assist with a smile (and put away the game I believe). It was than that I knew Randle could be something. That game showed me he's got something most NBA players today are missing: competitive spirit/hunger. So I've been a fan ever since (that and his totally enthusiastic but illegal screens for Kobe in his last game showed me something)

i agree with this post especially the bolded. those illegal screens wins championships. ask KG, ask the warriors.
This is why i stated in my above post. he's a middle class version of lebron. even though he bullies people like charles off the dribble. i dont recall peak charles intentionally setting up his teammates and being so happy for them to hit. not saying charles didnt like his teammates making shots. I'm just saying chuck was about putting that ball in the basket 1st 2nd and 3rd priority. randle really likes to get his guys involved, even when he's rolling.
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

A physical force that can go coast to coast in a blink and passes? Sign me up!!

Maybe Lakers can get him for around 15-16 mil? But every game he starts his value is rising fast.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

I went with the second option. I've been up and down with him the last 4 years, but the boy's been balling out these last few months and definitely playing the best basketball of his young career.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Julius will be worth the money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
looking at the results of this poll.....some y'all not honest
i was thinking the same thing
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Randle is having a good season. He's not anyone's idea of an ideal big in the modern era, but he's worth keeping if the conditions are right. It will be interesting to see what offers he gets and what Magic and company will bite on. Ultimately, I think what happens with Randle will depend on what other people do -- ie, what happens with free agents and whether Cuban comes in with an over-the-top offer. Cuban, being Cuban, I could see him offering $25 million at the opening deadline with a take-it-or-leave-it now deadline to keep the Lakers from waiting for other free agents.
WestwoodWizard
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

Was cautiously optimistic but he has won me over mostly due to the improvement in his decision making, especially regarding when to pass instead of forcing up a bad shot. The fact that he still untapped potential makes resigning him a very intriguing prospect indeed.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Randle is having a good season. He's not anyone's idea of an ideal big in the modern era, but he's worth keeping if the conditions are right. It will be interesting to see what offers he gets and what Magic and company will bite on. Ultimately, I think what happens with Randle will depend on what other people do -- ie, what happens with free agents and whether Cuban comes in with an over-the-top offer. Cuban, being Cuban, I could see him offering $25 million at the opening deadline with a take-it-or-leave-it now deadline to keep the Lakers from waiting for other free agents.

The must Cuban can go is $20 million and we will match. Sign PG, sign 1&1 2/$24 million deal with IT and conclude looking for our strech 5.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: