ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I've been a big supporter of IT on this board and I'll admit he seems arrogant and can see how he'd rub people the wrong way. But then I see all the crap directed at him on Twitter even by fans of his own team and I can see how he'd become angry and bitter.

Imagine thousands of people on social media and the stands telling you every day that you have no business playing, even though you are more skilled than 95% of the players in the league.

It's true that he made the decision to try to excel in a tall man's sport... which is in a way like a deaf person trying to become a singer... but I get why he has a chip on his shoulder. If he didn't... he'd never have lasted this long.

I'm fine with him being prickly as long as it isn't bringing the team down... If I see that, I'm out in terms of supporting him. But in the same way I wanted Rondo or Boogie, I'll take the chance if the skills are better and I don't see proof that the player is causing damage. Jordan and Kobe were assh*les too remember... Isaiah isn't at their level but many great players are unpleasant.

It's amazing how he's made it that far. But as stated numerous times, it's less cute/plaudit worthy when you're approaching 30 and you don't want to accept a lesser role. That grit got him into the NBA and a good career. But at a certain point, he has to understand that he's likely a 6th man scorer off the bench.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
I've been a big supporter of IT on this board and I'll admit he seems arrogant and can see how he'd rub people the wrong way. But then I see all the crap directed at him on Twitter even by fans of his own team and I can see how he'd become angry and bitter.

Imagine thousands of people on social media and the stands telling you every day that you have no business playing, even though you are more skilled than 95% of the players in the league.

It's true that he made the decision to try to excel in a tall man's sport... which is in a way like a deaf person trying to become a singer... but I get why he has a chip on his shoulder. If he didn't... he'd never have lasted this long.

I'm fine with him being prickly as long as it isn't bringing the team down... If I see that, I'm out in terms of supporting him. But in the same way I wanted Rondo or Boogie, I'll take the chance if the skills are better and I don't see proof that the player is causing damage. Jordan and Kobe were assh*les too remember... Isaiah isn't at their level but many great players are unpleasant.

It's amazing how he's made it that far. But as stated numerous times, it's less cute/plaudit worthy when you're approaching 30 and you don't want to accept a lesser role. That grit got him into the NBA and a good career. But at a certain point, he has to understand that he's likely a 6th man scorer off the bench.

It all depends on whether winning or playing matters more to him. I can see him being a 6th man on a championship team or a starter on a bad team in a small market. For me it doesn't matter whether he starts or comes off the bench as long as we use him wisely. If we need defense we'd play Hart or Lonzo... if we needed scoring... then maybe we'd play him to make up a big deficit. If he shoots like old IT he's going to be a valuable asset to someone... but if he wants to play everyday without restriction then he will probably need to go to another Sacramento situation.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
laker50 wrote:
If the Celtics and Cavs don't want him why should the Lakers?

We don't want to take their leftovers.

The Celtics traded IT because they had a chance to get Irving...not because they didn't want him.

maybe...maybe not...maybe a little of both....I am not claiming I know one way or the other, but there were reports after he exited Boston that not all of his teammates were fans, and the FO knew there was some smoke in the locker room. Again, maybe those reports (I think Chris Broussard was one of the guys reporting) were total bs, but not sure anyone would be shocked if they were true.

I don't want to judge his personality after a few weeks, but it definitely wouldn't shock me if that was true. He comes across as very "me first" in his post-game interviews, except when things go wrong (even when it's his fault), then it becomes "we" all of a sudden. I respect his ability to come this far in the NBA at 5'8", and I'm sure that has a lot to do with his proud/defensive nature, with all the (bleep) he must've had to deal with over the years. But I personally don't want that type of ego in our locker room beyond this season, especially given the great chemistry we already have among our young guys and our goal of adding more stars and the egos that come with them in the next couple of years...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

^^^we have had an unreal locker room this season....even with the media drumming up some of the Lavar stuff....the group never seemed bothered or annoyed.....from the outside it has seemed like every single guy in there has been genuinely liked by his teammates.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

It all depends on whether winning or playing matters more to him.

I think money matters more to him. He'll go to whatever team pays the most, and winning/role will be secondary to $$.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
But as stated numerous times, it's less cute/plaudit worthy when you're approaching 30 and you don't want to accept a lesser role.

30 isn't old. (He's younger than about a third of the guys who made the all-star team this year.) The question is less about his age than his health. If he wasn't injured, no one would be talking about him needing to accept a lesser role because of his age.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It all depends on whether winning or playing matters more to him.

I think money matters more to him. He'll go to whatever team pays the most, and winning/role will be secondary to $$.

Yeah I don't see him taking 6th man money or a 6th man role unless he has no choice. As it looks right now, he may not get any huge offers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
But as stated numerous times, it's less cute/plaudit worthy when you're approaching 30 and you don't want to accept a lesser role.

30 isn't old. (He's younger than about a third of the guys who made the all-star team this year.) The question is less about his age than his health. If he wasn't injured, no one would be talking about him needing to accept a lesser role because of his age.

For a 5’9 player who relies on his athleticism (never mind the hip injury) I don’t want to pay for his age 30-33 years.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

For a 5’9 player who relies on his athleticism (never mind the hip injury) I don’t want to pay for his age 30-33 years.

From watching his play... he's perfectly capable of running the offense in an unathletic Steve Nash way... He should be able to shoot and pass and serve the role of a backup point guard. As we've discussed before... the elite two way players should be first in line... but if two are not realistic I think if we go with one elite and IT/rim protector as a plan B... it should be fine. Obviously we wouldn't pay him an elite salary if he doesn't have the explosiveness anymore... but I do think of him as a viable option even without as much speed assuming his shot is still falling.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

why don't we ever see IT standing next to Trudell???
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree....also, how do we know that the hip is still causing him issues? Everyone keeps pointing to this magical day that he overcomes his hip injury.....but from what I have read, his injury is not one that always gets better. Similar to losing a finger, the actual wound will heal, but the limitations from not having a finger on day 100 are basically the same as they are on day 500. From watching him, he looks less like an injured player in comparison to last season....but more like a guy approaching 30 and has lost a step. Losing a step @ 5'8" is often much more obvious than losing a step @ 6'6".

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

29 year old season - 11 PPG / 3 RPG / 9 APG
30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

29 year old season - 12 PPG / 2 RPG / 6 APG
30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

29 year old season - 10 PPG / 2 RPG / 3 APG
30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree....also, how do we know that the hip is still causing him issues? Everyone keeps pointing to this magical day that he overcomes his hip injury.....but from what I have read, his injury is not one that always gets better. Similar to losing a finger, the actual wound will heal, but the limitations from not having a finger on day 100 are basically the same as they are on day 500. From watching him, he looks less like an injured player in comparison to last season....but more like a guy approaching 30 and has lost a step. Losing a step @ 5'8" is often much more obvious than losing a step @ 6'6".

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Jeez. I remember when people here were calling Tarik Black a midget... 🙄
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I agree....also, how do we know that the hip is still causing him issues? Everyone keeps pointing to this magical day that he overcomes his hip injury.....but from what I have read, his injury is not one that always gets better.

There's no guarantee he will ever be what he was before. At his size, he doesn't need to lose much to lose what made him worth having. Even if he turned the corner, and finished off the last 20 games strong, I wouldn't gamble a big contract on him.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Calvin Murphy 5' 9" member of the Hall of Fame

30 year old season 20 PPG/ 2 RPG / 4 APG
31 year old season 20 PPG/ 2 RPG/ 4 APG
32 year old season 17 PPG/ 1 RPG/ 3 APG

Damon Stoudamire 5' 10"

30 year old season 13 PPG/ 4 RPG/ 6 APG
31 year old season 16 PPG/ 4 RPG/ 6 APG
32 year old season 12 PPG/ 4 RPG/ 6 APG

Spud and Muggsy are much shorter than Nate, Calvin, or IT and none of these players ever achieved the levels that IT did

So the only true analogy in terms of height and age would be Calvin or Nate
and Damon is closer in height to IT than Spud or Muggsy so clearly we can see there is precedent for success even with the tiny (no pun intended) sampling.

It is a risk... but simply following scientific method... the samplings are too small to determine... and IT is the outlier that achieved beyond his short peers so we should slightly skew upwards our expectations.

Last edited by Sentient Meat on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

I don't think there's something magical that causes a short guy to lose a step at age 30.

-- The two seasons you mention for Webb he was 30 and 31 years old. His performance on a per minute basis really didn't change; he just got traded and became a backup but it's not like he suddenly fell off a cliff.

-- Starting at age 25, Nate Robinson was pretty much traded every year (he played for 8 teams in 10 years). He was a 20-minute-a-game backup for most of his career, and his stats went up and down depending on his role.

-- Muggsy was also 30 and 31 in those two seasons you mention. He only played 6 games the second season because of injury, but he came back the next season and played fine. So it's not like he suddenly dropped off a cliff at age 30 and was never heard from again either.

So I don't see that these guys provide some generalization that apply to all short players, nor do I think any is a good example of a player dropping off because they reached a certain age.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

I don't think there's something magical that causes a short guy to lose a step at age 30.

-- The two seasons you mention for Webb he was 30 and 31 years old. His performance on a per minute basis really didn't change; he just got traded and became a backup but it's not like he suddenly fell off a cliff.

-- Starting at age 25, Nate Robinson was pretty much traded every year (he played for 8 teams in 10 years). He was a 20-minute-a-game backup for most of his career, and his stats went up and down depending on his role.

-- Muggsy was also 30 and 31 in those two seasons you mention. He only played 6 games the second season because of injury, but he came back the next season and played fine. So it's not like he suddenly dropped off a cliff at age 30 and was never heard from again either.

Agree AV... adkindo cherry picked his stats for maximum effect.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

I'd rather pay money to keep Brook and/or KCP than sign IT beyond this season, if we strike out in free agency.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
I'd rather pay money to keep Brook and/or KCP than sign IT beyond this season, if we strike out in free agency.

If we sign LeBron that deal may already in place... very afraid of LeBron bringing his cronies. Obviously it wouldn't be the worst scenario... but I was hoping for a little better than KCP.

I do admit that KCP's shooting has impressed me of late... but his inability to run anything other than a breakaway fast break... his careless mistakes, sometimes really frustrates me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Damon Stoudamire 5' 10"

Spud and Muggsy are much shorter than Nate, Calvin, or IT and none of these players ever achieved the levels that IT did

and Damon is closer in height to IT than Spud or Muggsy so clearly we can see there is precedent for success even with the tiny (no pun intended) sampling.

It is a risk... but simply following scientific method... the samplings are too small to determine... and IT is the outlier that achieved beyond his short peers so we should slightly skew upwards our expectations.

How were their hips?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Damon Stoudamire 5' 10"

How were their hips?

Isaiah took a huge step backwards in his quest to endear himself to doubters last game. I'm still annoyed he cost us that crucial game.

But all I ask from everyone is a fair assessment. If he keeps shooting like that... we don't keep him... simple. But if he does shoot well and we don't get both FAs, then we have a decision to make. A one year contract is ideal for the team... but that might not get the job done... A larger contract that might be tradeable could be a happy medium. But what no one wants is another albatross of a contract... and another season without a competent back up for Lonzo. Seth is another option all would be happy with... myself included... but we have no evidence that we can sign him.

Anyway... let's let IT's play make the decision... and the 2 elite FA situation.

But to make bleak scenarios that in my opinion aren't really fair does a disservice to our team who could use a good version of him at the right price.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject:

Man
I actually caught the end of the Blazers game, right after Dame tied it up with b2b 3s. IT was so bad.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Man
I actually caught the end of the Blazers game, right after Dame tied it up with b2b 3s. IT was so bad.

You know you’re not supposed to be watching games, right?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
tox wrote:
Man

You know you’re not supposed to be watching games, right?

Jaysis...so now we've figured out the reason for the loss. Of course...!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Man

I knew you watched that game. I knew it.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

IT’s favorite player here is Tyler Ennis....

Of course he picks the worst player as his FAVORITE. A player he’s only played with recently these last two games.

Of course he is IT, of course.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 55 of 102
Jump to: