Do you WANT to see LeBron become a Laker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want LeBron to become a Laker?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 100 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 141 ]
Undecided
11%
 11%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 271

av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers were some how able to pull off

C - Randle
PF - Bron
SF - BI
SG - PG
PG - Ball

I can easily see Bron and the lakers being a dominate force. If he came here I think it would be because he likes what we have (assuming another FA is able to come along as well)....Bron could also get a lot of rest on that team as well as Randle obviously can eat up PF minutes in the regular season.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:
These poll results are insane. The majority of Laker fans don’t want arguably the greatest basketball player, if not a top 5 player ever, who still is the best player in the league to join this team?

A lot of it stems from Lebron challenging and surpassing Kobe’s legacy, but Lebron immediately makes us a title contender.

Right. The bold is probably the primary reason. So many fans have grown accustomed to hating LeBron passionately and minimizing/downplaying his greatness to make Kobe come out on top in the Kobe vs LeBron debate. For them, cheering for LeBron in a Lakers uniform is like cheering for Hitler or something.

But if LeBron leads the Lakers to two titles, causing the org to finally pass Boston, he gets his jersey retired and a statue outside of Staples at absolute minimum. When you combine that with the CLE championship, that might be enough to finally put him over Jordan, even if he ends his career with one less title.

Some don't see the path to two titles and all the glory you are fantasizing about. There are multiple counter-arguments against him being able to build a Laker roster capable of winning a incredibly competitive West title in the next couple years.

Some of us "foolish" fans are willing to acknowledge the downsides of James joining the Lakers. And all the places for the risky plan to fall apart. Window for a win is short with James. Risky to to think he/Lakers can accomplish it only to leave the Lakers in a worse situation.

Current roster and coaches are developing together in a positive trend. Why not continue building on that combination of talent, chemistry and style instead of changing the path again.

Now go wash your hands!
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

^ This.
Couldn't have stated it any better.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:
These poll results are insane. The majority of Laker fans don’t want arguably the greatest basketball player, if not a top 5 player ever, who still is the best player in the league to join this team?

A lot of it stems from Lebron challenging and surpassing Kobe’s legacy, but Lebron immediately makes us a title contender.

Right. The bold is probably the primary reason. So many fans have grown accustomed to hating LeBron passionately and minimizing/downplaying his greatness to make Kobe come out on top in the Kobe vs LeBron debate. For them, cheering for LeBron in a Lakers uniform is like cheering for Hitler or something.

But if LeBron leads the Lakers to two titles, causing the org to finally pass Boston, he gets his jersey retired and a statue outside of Staples at absolute minimum. When you combine that with the CLE championship, that might be enough to finally put him over Jordan, even if he ends his career with one less title.

Not for me. No player coming here and having any amount of success would alter Kobe’s legacy for me. And even if someone came here and lead the team to 7 titles, why would I not want that because of a retired legend??

The main reason Lebron makes me nervous is because for me he is too old to trade our youth away and currently too good not to if it is necessary.

We would be the dumbest team in the league to sign Lebron and then not make the necessary roster changes to win during his time here for the sake of the future. Lebron is a win now at all costs move. Costs for me, which are too great to incur.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

YES!

This franchise is bigger than LBJ. We've had superstar mercenaries before (Shaq and Wilt and I guess Mailman for example), I don't think the worries outweigh the benefit. We'd be contending for rings. Consider how the young guys are, are you truly worried that James will stunt their growth or mislead them? Lonzo puts up with a pompous dad and is a class act, Ingram is a humble beast, Kuzma has been through true adversity, Randle has crazy work eithic...and these guys play the right way.

I think too many actually believe that James will actually manipulate the FO to deal two of them to get 3-4 yrs out of some aging All-Star. Consider how much the Lakers value their talent and what LBJ's other options are. If he truly wants to go to Houston and they can somehow make it happen, he goes there. If his heart is truly in Cleveland regardless of the talent, he stays. The only real team to get into a surrounding piece bidding war with is Philly, and I don't even think they'll do that.

If getting an ideal Robin in PG13, getting a bunch of motivated kids that are already doing the dirty work, a coach that has them playing the right way (like GS and SA do) isn't enough then it isn't enough. I don't see the nightmare of total desperation to mortgage the future that some do. I can't see James being okay with dealing Ball and Ingram right now if he wants to win AND continue to win. If you don't like his attitude that's one thing, and if you're worried about looking foolish for pining for James that's nonsense. In any event, he's the right plan A (with George) as a FREE agent.

Take the talent, trust the franchise and hot front office and enjoy.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

If it's the ONLY way PG comes, then sure.
bum2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

The 53% is lower than I thought. I think there are many who get attached to what they have and don't like the idea of disruption...which Lebron absolutely is but in a good way.

Once it happens, if it happens, most would be on board. Reminds me of warrior fans who would ouff out their chests and talk about who they didn't need KD when Woj reported it months before it happened.
They got on board quickly because, KD!
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Some don't see the path to two titles and all the glory you are fantasizing about. There are multiple counter-arguments against him being able to build a Laker roster capable of winning a incredibly competitive West title in the next couple years.

Some of us "foolish" fans are willing to acknowledge the downsides of James joining the Lakers. And all the places for the risky plan to fall apart. Window for a win is short with James. Risky to to think he/Lakers can accomplish it only to leave the Lakers in a worse situation.

Current roster and coaches are developing together in a positive trend. Why not continue building on that combination of talent, chemistry and style instead of changing the path again.

Now go wash your hands!

What are the downsides? How could James leave the Lakers in a worse situation when the future (Ball, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, and Hart) are already on the roster?

Even if Ingram or Ball are relegated to the bench for the next few years (like Aaron Rodgers with Favre), when it’s time for James to move on they will have been properly groomed (like Rodgers) to hit the ground running as soon as the old guy is not around anymore.

I just think the idea that James will somehow destroy the youngsters and leave this team after three to four years as a tattered and bruised franchise is severely misguided.

Unless the Lakers start selling off cornerstone youngsters to appease James, there is no problem, and I just don’t see that happening. And please don’t mention Russell, Clarkson, and Nance as cornerstone youngsters — they weren’t and aren’t.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of Wilt joining the Lakers. And he was accepted into Lakers pantheon.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

I want him but only if he comes with PG and a re-signed Randle. I don't think we win a title otherwise while Lebron is still good enough to make a significant difference. If we aren't contending for a title with Lebron, I don't see the point of him being here.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

The question is whether a team with lbj keeps the youth. Especially with his biological clock ticking like mad. He does have a history of leaving every team spent behind him, and the question of whether he’d go to war with the youngsters or want another vet or three is legitimate.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

bum2 wrote:
The 53% is lower than I thought. I think there are many who get attached to what they have and don't like the idea of disruption...which Lebron absolutely is but in a good way.

Once it happens, if it happens, most would be on board. Reminds me of warrior fans who would ouff out their chests and talk about who they didn't need KD when Woj reported it months before it happened.
They got on board quickly because, KD!

"in a good way" is an opinion. There are two sides to the coin in trying to balance out the decision.

For all the positives there are real and tangible negatives. The scales balance out differently depending on how you choose to assign importance.

For me James is a desperation move. It looks good in the headlines. It validates the FO plan but IMO a bad basketball move.

A James window for success is a couple years... at best! Can the Lakers make the necessary moves and build the chemistry needed to challenge for a Championship over the next two seasons? IMO they can't.

James a few years ago would have been wonderful. Now, wrong timeline and wrong plan. Lakers endured all those bad seasons to draft and rebuild. Now that they are getting close is the wrong time to abandon the gains for a short term fix that undermines many of the positives they have gained.

I do not see the same blending of young and old as some seem to. I envision the developing Lakers becoming the Lebrons on offense and slipping on defense. Lets be realistic. Is James adjusting to the Lakers pace and style or are the Lakers adjusting to James'?

When they get mediocre results and some chemistry issues whose fault will it be? Walton's? The inexperienced players? Certainly not James' fault. Even if it is (arguably the Cavs defensive woes can be put on James) there is no way to call out the King. Who gets moved at the trade deadline or if after the first year the James led Lakers exits the playoffs early? For who? What is left when he retires in a couple seasons?

Other side of the coin is not so shiny IMO. Maybe I'm wrong and the James led Lakers are the next SuperTeam and win multiple Championships. Just my opinion they won't be.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The question is whether a team with lbj keeps the youth. Especially with his biological clock ticking like mad. He does have a history of leaving every team spent behind him, and the question of whether he’d go to war with the youngsters or want another vet or three is legitimate.

He’s never had a stable of talented youth like this before ... and he’s never been this old before. He understands, especially after his experience this year with that old-ass Cavs squad that he needs talented youth around him, young guys with immense skill and exuberance.

I feel your point, but contextually, James would not sign up to come here if he wasn’t all in on Ball and Ingram and Hart and Kuzma as guys he’d be willing to go to war with (I left off Randle because I see the Lakers swapping him out for a cheaper Nerlens Noel).

We all have opinions here, as we should, but mine is that James would VALUE the youngsters, not want them replaced in favor of his old banana buddies.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Now go wash your hands!

What are the downsides? How could James leave the Lakers in a worse situation when the future (Ball, Ingram, Randle, Kuzma, and Hart) are already on the roster?

Even if Ingram or Ball are relegated to the bench for the next few years (like Aaron Rodgers with Favre), when it’s time for James to move on they will have been properly groomed (like Rodgers) to hit the ground running as soon as the old guy is not around anymore.

I just think the idea that James will somehow destroy the youngsters and leave this team after three to four years as a tattered and bruised franchise is severely misguided.

Unless the Lakers start selling off cornerstone youngsters to appease James, there is no problem, and I just don’t see that happening. And please don’t mention Russell, Clarkson, and Nance as cornerstone youngsters — they weren’t and aren’t.

I'm happy to have a non meddling LeBron but there are a few things that cause worry... though perhaps they might be nothing.

We signed one of LeBron's agents clients (KCP)

Cleveland traded half their team to make him happy, yet immediately after he wouldn't commit to them (could have been unilateral... but still...)

Magic and Rob are unproven in their leadership positions. Riley couldn't control him or his management team... why should they be able to?

I'm not concerned about his play even at his age... I'm only concerned that the young management team might sell their souls to secure his services... and I'm sure they'd leave the core intact at the beginning, but if anything went wrong... would Magic be able to stand up to him and keep his future players if LeBron demanded that he trade some? And then as he declines would they let him run the show like Kobe, or would they force him to take a smaller role and bow out gracefully? If LBJ wins us a couple championships
sure, I don't mind keeping him a year longer than we should out of gratitude... but these are the things that give me pause.

If Magic and Rob can make those hard decisions, then LeBron will be an asset for at least three years if he doesn't get injured... but if they can't I really fear a repeat of the chaotic Kobe farewell tour situation.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

I think as he gets older he may want a stable of talented young guys to prolong his run. And I think Lonzo is safe and likely BI. I also think he would want jules bc he knocks heads and is a multi positional defender.

It’s one thing to push around dan Gilbert and another to push around Magic who is bigger than LBJ in LA.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject:

We can do a lot around here, but please don’t compare Magic & Co. to Dan effin’ Gilbert.

Gilbert’s case is remarkably extreme. He’s always been Bron’s two-dollar whore. Magic & Co. are much closer to Riley than Gilbert. They’re not bending over for him.

James, if he comes, will come to play with one other guy in his prime (George) and a talented stable of young horses. If he doesn’t understand and accept those logistics, he won’t come ... and he shouldn’t.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think as he gets older he may want a stable of talented young guys to prolong his run. And I think Lonzo is safe and likely BI. I also think he would want jules bc he knocks heads and is a multi positional defender.

It’s one thing to push around dan Gilbert and another to push around Magic who is bigger than LBJ in LA.

A-alike ... B-alike ... C-alike.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
We can do a lot around here, but please don’t compare Magic & Co. to Dan effin’ Gilbert.

Gilbert’s case is remarkably extreme. He’s always been Bron’s two-dollar whore. Magic & Co. are much closer to Riley than Gilbert. They’re not bending over for him.

James, if he comes, will come to play with one other guy in his prime (George) and a talented stable of young horses. If he doesn’t understand and accept those logistics, he won’t come ... and he shouldn’t.

If he doesn’t want to join talented utes then (bleep) him.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

The story about LeBron vs. Riley

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19233570/why-miami-heat-president-pat-riley-leave-nba

Riley is tough... but so is LeBron and his team... I only hope Magic and Rob are up for the challenge should they decide to accept it.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Finally tried a pg/lbj/jules/Brook team on nba 2k. My goodness it’s a fun team with so much versatility on both sides of the ball.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19233570/why-miami-heat-president-pat-riley-leave-nba

Riley is tough... but so is LeBron and his team... I only hope Magic and Rob are up for the challenge should they decide to accept it.

Riley’s ego is bigger than Magic’s. Also, the Heat were getting OLD and fast.

One could argue though that if the Heat had young talent on their roster on the level of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, and Hart, he may have never left, even with Riley and James’ clash of egos.

Magic is different though. He knows how to be amenable yet maintain authority. James and Magic would be a healthy marriage. Riley could never deal with Lavar Ball. Magic can. Riley couldn’t deal with James’ requests. Magic can.

Magic’s a leader. He knows how to rule over people without them feeling like their being ruled over. Riley not so much.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

One could argue though that if the Heat had young talent on their roster on the level of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, and Hart, he may have never left, even with Riley and James’ clash of egos.

Magic is different though. He knows how to be amenable yet maintain authority. James and Magic would be a healthy marriage. Riley could never deal with Lavar Ball. Magic can. Riley couldn’t deal with James’ requests. Magic can.

Magic’s a leader. He knows how to rule over people without them feeling like their being ruled over. Riley not so much.

Magic is my favorite player of all time... so I have a lot of respect for him... and what you say about the psychology of the situation makes sense.

However, you are assuming a lot to say an untested management team is definitely better than a man who ran three successful franchises.

Hope you are right.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Magic is my favorite player of all time... so I have a lot of respect for him... and what you say about the psychology of the situation makes sense.

However, you are assuming a lot to say an untested management team is definitely better than a man who ran three successful franchises.

Hope you are right.

Thanks, but I’m not saying Magic & Co. are “better” than Riley as overall basketball administrators. I’m saying that when it comes to being an amenable leader, Magic has more of those qualities than Riley.

Like I said, Riley could never manage Lavar Ball.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I want him but only if he comes with PG and a re-signed Randle. I don't think we win a title otherwise while Lebron is still good enough to make a significant difference. If we aren't contending for a title with Lebron, I don't see the point of him being here.

Is that even possible? Setting aside the fairy dust scenarios being pushed by people like Pincus, I don't see how we would ever have enough cap room.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Is that even possible? Setting aside the fairy dust scenarios being pushed by people like Pincus, I don't see how we would ever have enough cap room.

Yes, it’s possible.

Three words: Trade Luol Deng.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11
Jump to: