ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
IT’s favorite player here is Tyler Ennis....

Of course he picks the worst player as his FAVORITE. A player he’s only played with recently these last two games.

Of course he is IT, of course.

i think they were teammates in phoenix.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

kobe_4_mvp wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Of course he picks the worst player as his FAVORITE. A player he’s only played with recently these last two games.

Indeed they were teammates in PHX. Coincidentally both got moved from PHX in the same trade that sent Dragic to Miami and our future pick to Philly.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/grade-the-trade-the-suns-sixers-and-bucks-traded-everybody/
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
kobe_4_mvp wrote:
Megaton wrote:

Indeed they were teammates in PHX. Coincidentally both got moved from PHX in the same trade that sent Dragic to Miami and our future pick to Philly.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/grade-the-trade-the-suns-sixers-and-bucks-traded-everybody/

So that's a good sign for those worried that the more time people spend with him that the more they dislike him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

29 year old season - 11 PPG / 3 RPG / 9 APG
30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

29 year old season - 12 PPG / 2 RPG / 6 APG
30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

29 year old season - 10 PPG / 2 RPG / 3 APG
30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

I don't think there's something magical that causes a short guy to lose a step at age 30.

-- The two seasons you mention for Webb he was 30 and 31 years old. His performance on a per minute basis really didn't change; he just got traded and became a backup but it's not like he suddenly fell off a cliff.

-- Starting at age 25, Nate Robinson was pretty much traded every year (he played for 8 teams in 10 years). He was a 20-minute-a-game backup for most of his career, and his stats went up and down depending on his role.

-- Muggsy was also 30 and 31 in those two seasons you mention. He only played 6 games the second season because of injury, but he came back the next season and played fine. So it's not like he suddenly dropped off a cliff at age 30 and was never heard from again either.

Agree AV... adkindo cherry picked his stats for maximum effect.

listen guy...do not make direct claims about me that you have no clue if true....I based their ages on estimating from the college years....guy plays 2 years, I assumed his first NBA season was age 20....played 4, assumed it was 22. I am not surprised that I was off 1-10 months....but check out the formula, and you will see it is consistent and not to mislead....and I forgot about Mighty Mouse, but Murphy retired before I began watching NBA basketball....and I honestly had no idea how tall he was. Again, I did not cherry pick (bleep)....I used the most well known "short" players that most think of in recent decades.

and activeverb, I can't...or would not take the time to prove it....but it has long been considered a truth in the NBA that guards under 6' tall decline in effectiveness after 30 more drastically than the average player.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Isaiah Thomas on Receiving Mentoring from Kobe Bryant

Quote:
When Isaiah Thomas caught fire in a seven-game playoff series against Washington last year, he did so with a Lakers legend in his ear.

Thomas was playing for the Boston Celtics at the time, making it all the stranger that Kobe Bryant was giving him constant advice throughout the postseason.

“We’d be on FaceTime watching film together on speakerphone,” Thomas said

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/180306-isaiah-thomas-kobe-bryant?ls=recent_news?ls=recent_news
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

dude is thirsty for that Laker cap space.

Rule #1 - after bad game.....do not acknowledge and talk to the media about your connection to Mamba....even though it is irrelevant to anything going on now.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

Redemption game tonight.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Redemption game tonight.

is redemption possible against the Magic?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

I don't think there's something magical that causes a short guy to lose a step at age 30.

-- The two seasons you mention for Webb he was 30 and 31 years old. His performance on a per minute basis really didn't change; he just got traded and became a backup but it's not like he suddenly fell off a cliff.

-- Starting at age 25, Nate Robinson was pretty much traded every year (he played for 8 teams in 10 years). He was a 20-minute-a-game backup for most of his career, and his stats went up and down depending on his role.

-- Muggsy was also 30 and 31 in those two seasons you mention. He only played 6 games the second season because of injury, but he came back the next season and played fine. So it's not like he suddenly dropped off a cliff at age 30 and was never heard from again either.

listen guy...do not make direct claims about me that you have no clue if true....I based their ages on estimating from the college years....guy plays 2 years, I assumed his first NBA season was age 20....played 4, assumed it was 22. I am not surprised that I was off 1-10 months....but check out the formula, and you will see it is consistent and not to mislead....and I forgot about Mighty Mouse, but Murphy retired before I began watching NBA basketball....and I honestly had no idea how tall he was. Again, I did not cherry pick (bleep)....I used the most well known "short" players that most think of in recent decades.

and activeverb, I can't...or would not take the time to prove it....but it has long been considered a truth in the NBA that guards under 6' tall decline in effectiveness after 30 more drastically than the average player.

Picking Muggsy Bogues at 5' 3" is as unfair as if I picked Iverson or Tiny Archibald at 6' 1"

You are a tenacious debater and you are very effective at spinning your message. PR firms pay enormous amounts of money for your skill set.

Cherry picking isn't this insidious moral crime... and I think all of us will choose something that stands out that will support our personal biases.

But all I was saying that instead of pointing out something that has limited statistical value... why not focus on the Portland game and future lapses should they occur? He already has the world and physics against him... he doesn't need specious narratives added on top of it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Actually, you're off in age by up to 30 months (Webb wasn't 30 in the second season you site; when the season ended he was a few months from age 33),.

You don't have "a formula" -- you just randomly selected three short players, and then randomly selected two years in the middle of each of their careers where there was a decline in their ppg.-rpg-apg.

I have no idea if there actually is a correlation between player's height, and the age at which they decline, but if so, this doesn't demonstrate it.

Anyway, stats are fun, at least until someone checks your math huh?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Actually, you're off in age by up to 30 months (Webb wasn't 30 in the second season you site; when the season ended he was a few months from age 33),.

You don't have "a formula" -- you just randomly selected three short players, and then randomly selected two years in the middle of each of their careers where there was a decline in their ppg.-rpg-apg.

I have no idea if there actually is a correlation between player's height, and the age at which they decline, but if so, this doesn't demonstrate it.

Thanks for that clarification... that's not cherry picking... that's at minimum transposing incorrect information.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Some examples....

Muggsy Bogues

30 year old season -
2 PPG / 1 RPG / 3 APG

Spud Webb

30 year old season -
7 PPG / 1 RPG / 4 APG

Nate Robinson

30 year old season -
6 PPG / 1 RPG / 2 APG

Thanks for that clarification... that's not cherry picking... that's at minimum transposing incorrect information.

I think he just wanted to slap some numbers down along with his theory, but he was lazy and didn't look at the numbers very closely, in part because he didn't actually care whether or not they supported his theory
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Dude looks sleepy in post game
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

I prefer IT the playmaker.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

IT was fine... though he did blow some plays at the end when he's supposed to be the stabilizing veteran. I think Luke left him in to help him get over his choke last game and it kind of backfired. But I think he'll continue to improve.

I'm amazed how many of our own fans seem to almost be rooting for him to fail. Do they want to see this situation break him mentally? If IT can get back to form he gives a puncher's chance of beating Denver or Cleveland.

Do not understand the mentality of waiting for him to choke his chance at redemption.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

IT had a couple of plays that almost killed us late but his six assists in the 4th quarter were huge!
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

IT had a couple of plays that almost killed us late but his six assists in the 4th quarter were huge!

Yep.

Last edited by epak on Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:45 am; edited 1 time in total
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject:

We wouldn't have had the lead we did toward the end of the 4th Q if IT wasn't in the game. His 6 assists in that quarter were terrific and much needed to have the cushion we had. It's amazing where all he does great is ignored here and a couple bad plays are blown way out of proportion.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
We wouldn't have had the lead we did toward the end of the 4th Q if IT wasn't in the game. His 6 assists in that quarter were terrific and much needed to have the cushion we had. It's amazing where all he does great is ignored here and a couple bad plays are blown way out of proportion.

Good game by 29 year old IT today.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject:

I thought IT played a great game until the last three minutes or so. It looked hero ball but maybe he was the only one that was trying to still do stuff while his teammates relaxed.
Capt.Skyhook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm wondering why IT is handling the ball so much with Zo in there. I'd think they would split those duties a bit more.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:
I'm wondering why IT is handling the ball so much with Zo in there. I'd think they would split those duties a bit more.

Probably so, IMO Zo needs to be a little more assertive at times.
IT plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays with passion. I'm sure that Zo will learn from IT's approach and be inspired to continue to elevate his game.
He's young and it's a learning process.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

Capt.Skyhook wrote:

Zo doesn't seem as aggressive driving to the paint and kicking out. But definitely they should split ball handling duties together.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

If they have IT handling the ball so Zo can work on his shot... I'm fine with that.

Zo doesn't need any work on his passing, and IT seemed to be distributing the ball well, looking to feed others before shooting himself last night.

Zo also isn't as comfortable driving into the paint and passing out as Isaiah is.
Maybe Luke wants Zo to learn from seeing a veteran do it in person.

But I agree, in general our priorities must be to continue Lonzo's growth, even if we end up keeping IT.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

It would be nice for IT's attacking mentality to rub off on Zo. In that and a couple other ways, Thomas has the opportunity to be a mentor to Ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 56 of 102
Jump to: