The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1368, 1369, 1370 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

^Let’s hope GMs are as dumb as ESPN.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ESPN came out with another top 25 under 25 list. Kuzma was 23... Randle wasn't on the list. They are relatively the same age. People don't get that Randle has arguably been our best player this year. He continues to be underrated. I hope that continues into the summer so we can keep him on a below market deal.

Randle was put into the starting lineup against the Clippers on 12/29/17 and has been in it since. Since then, as a starter, he's averaged 29 MPG, 18.1 PPG (56.6%), 8.9 RPG and 3.2 APG, while arguably being our best defender and helping the Lakers achieve a 17-13 record. If we kept up that same pace for an entire season, we'd win 46-47 games.

I don't think even think there's an argument to make. Randle HAS been our best player this year.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

I’m here for healthy discussion. That being said, as much as I love Randle, if his asking price goes north of 14-15 million, signing Nerlens Noel and resigning Pope for that same 15 mill seems, to me, to be a more efficient use of money spent — especially since Noel is the better fit (at Center) next to Ingram, James, Ball, George, Kuzma, Pope, and Hart.

It’s a risk, but, to me, a risk worth taking, a risk I’d be willing to take.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Nice stats-heavy write-up here on Hashtag Basketball re: Randle's impact.

On Julius' offense:

Quote:
...Randle is such a physical behemoth attacking the rim and crashing the offensive glass. He has been one of the best finishers at the rim this season based on his FG% (73.6%) within 3 feet from the rim.

In terms of spacing, this elite level of finishing collapses defenses, which Randle has made the adjustment of passing to open shooters and occasionally cutters. ...

On Julius' defense:

Quote:
With his ability to protect the paint well enough and switch onto smaller players on the perimeter, Randle puts himself in rare company. That is highly valuable in today's NBA because very few elite defenders have that combination. We are talking Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, Paul Millsap, Draymond Green, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and maybe one or two other guys. That is about it. While Randle is not quite elite at both skill sets, he is very good at them and that alone makes him highly valuable. Sometimes it is better to be a B+ at every aspect instead of an A+ at a couple and a D+ at others.

LINK
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

The way randle can switch defensively onto perimeter players is elite. He's one of the best in the league at that
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
ESPN came out with another top 25 under 25 list. Kuzma was 23... Randle wasn't on the list. They are relatively the same age. People don't get that Randle has arguably been our best player this year. He continues to be underrated. I hope that continues into the summer so we can keep him on a below market deal.

Randle was put into the starting lineup against the Clippers on 12/29/17 and has been in it since. Since then, as a starter, he's averaged 29 MPG, 18.1 PPG (56.6%), 8.9 RPG and 3.2 APG, while arguably being our best defender and helping the Lakers achieve a 17-13 record. If we kept up that same pace for an entire season, we'd win 46-47 games.

ESPN is all hype
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I’m here for healthy discussion. That being said, as much as I love Randle, if his asking price goes north of 14-15 million, signing Nerlens Noel and resigning Pope for that same 15 mill seems, to me, to be a more efficient use of money spent — especially since Noel is the better fit (at Center) next to Ingram, James, Ball, George, Kuzma, Pope, and Hart.

Noel sure looks good in a suit
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Funny as hell.

Question though: Randle for 15 mill per or Noel/Pope for 15 mill per combined?

I’m a cheap bastard, so I can’t get past the cost efficiency.
DK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

One thing that I think hurts Randle's narrative and hype in the league, especially compared to Kuz, is how his game looks stylistically. Simply put, it's brutal and kind of ugly but very effective. Compare that to Kuz who has a very appealing, finesse driven game. The numbers speak for themselves but Jules just doesn't have the type of playing style that fits with current aesthetics, which is a shame because he's been awesome this year.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Funny as hell.

Can Noel do what Randle has done? Cause we have Hart that can do KCP’s. I’d rather have the single superior player than 2 lesser players
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

DK wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

One thing that I think hurts Randle's narrative and hype in the league, especially compared to Kuz, is how his game looks stylistically. Simply put, it's brutal and kind of ugly but very effective. Compare that to Kuz who has a very appealing, finesse driven game. The numbers speak for themselves but Jules just doesn't have the type of playing style that fits with current aesthetics, which is a shame because he's been awesome this year.

It’s brutal and beautiful, not ugly. This guy is all muscle and hustle (on both ends)
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Funny as hell.

I'd rather spend the extra money on a guy giving me surefire borderline all-star production than throw away half of that money.

Noel's injury history also gives me major pause. Seems to have the body type that injures easily. Randle OTOH is a bull. Bodies bounce off of him. Aside from his freak bone break (which i totally believe was a Vitamin D deficiency as Tim DiFrancesco theorized), he's been an iron man.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Noel isn't half the player Randle is.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Funny as hell.

Can Noel do what Randle has done? Cause we have Hart that can do KCP’s. I’d rather have the single superior player than 2 lesser players

No, Noel cannot do what Randle has done offensively ... but defensively yes, maybe even more actually.

Noel, if healthy (big “if”), is a better fit (at Center) next to this potential team of perpetual 6’6-6’9 guys (Hart, Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, James, George, and Pope)

And yes, Hart is better than Pope, but they’ll still have a need for Pope in the 8-9 man rotation. Depth will be very important if they’re trying to contend (with George and James).
Truck Turner
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

DK wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

The reason the narrative on Randle has been what it is is because most of the people that talk about him don't watch the Lakers play very often. The fact that so many people are acting as if Randle just suddenly became a different player after being added to the starting lineup shows how little people have actually watched him. There are still people that think Randle was benched because he wasn't playing well even though Luke said on a few occasions that it was about "fit".

All the things that Randle is doing now are things that he shown flashes of being capable of doing since day one. If you look at Randle's career solely through advanced stats it's easy to focus on what he can't do and totally miss the things he can do that few players in the league can.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

It’s absolutely fantastic for the Lakers (financially) that Randle might still be possibly flying underneath the radar.
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

It's quite impressive that he's averaging Pau-like numbers while playing considerably less minutes than he did.
JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

D. Sharp wrote:

It's quite impressive that he's averaging Pau-like numbers while playing considerably less minutes than he did.

Without a gumshoe and at 23 years of age to boot.

Lakers are not stupid and will do whatever it takes to maintain Randle boy here.

Randle is looking more and more like a perennial All Star Power Forward.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Funny as hell.

I don’t have a problem spending to win. Even if we don’t sign any FAs we don’t need KCP, though another one year contract makes sense. I like Noel’s defense but with 29 games being the high point of the past 3 years, I don’t prioritize that over a player who can do it offensively and defensively.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
It’s absolutely fantastic for the Lakers (financially) that Randle might still be possibly flying underneath the radar.

I don't think he will. Here are the stats he put up against his home town team, Dallas this year in the three times we have faced them:

FG%: .64, .71, .60
Rebounds: 13, 8, 15
Assists: 10, 7, 2
Turnovers: 3, 5, 7

The one saving grace is that he turned the ball over a lot in those games.

They are going to throw money at him just to screw us over.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

We need to hope Dwight Powell continues to play well and the Mavs draft somewhere between 3-6. That way aim pretty sure Randle won’t get overpaid by Dallas if at all. Powell has been playing very well lately and is a restricted free agent.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Tania Ganguli tweeted that Luke said Randle was feeling under the weather today, according to 710am. Explains a lot, from his lackluster play on D and his lack of enthusiasm on the bench when we were making our runs.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Tania Ganguli tweeted that Luke said Randle was feeling under the weather today, according to 710am. Explains a lot, from his lackluster play on D and his lack of enthusiasm on the bench when we were making our runs.

Yup.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject:

It also answered the repeated question in the game thread..."Where was Randle in the 4Q"? Hope he feels better by Friday.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:

Under the weather saw a dip in his usual energy tonight. Still put up the 12/11/3 on a 'bad night'. But hope he gets well soon.

Other people stepped up as well which was great to see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1368, 1369, 1370 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1369 of 1536
Jump to: