Do you WANT to see LeBron become a Laker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want LeBron to become a Laker?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 100 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 141 ]
Undecided
11%
 11%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 271

cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I want him but only if he comes with PG and a re-signed Randle. I don't think we win a title otherwise while Lebron is still good enough to make a significant difference. If we aren't contending for a title with Lebron, I don't see the point of him being here.

Is that even possible? Setting aside the fairy dust scenarios being pushed by people like Pincus, I don't see how we would ever have enough cap room.

Yes, it’s possible.

Three words: Trade Luol Deng.

Signing LeBron as a FA and then trading him with Deng for Anthony Davis you mean?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
The story about LeBron vs. Riley

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19233570/why-miami-heat-president-pat-riley-leave-nba

Riley is tough... but so is LeBron and his team... I only hope Magic and Rob are up for the challenge should they decide to accept it.

Riley’s ego is bigger than Magic’s. Also, the Heat were getting OLD and fast.

One could argue though that if the Heat had young talent on their roster on the level of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, and Hart, he may have never left, even with Riley and James’ clash of egos.

Magic is different though. He knows how to be amenable yet maintain authority. James and Magic would be a healthy marriage. Riley could never deal with Lavar Ball. Magic can. Riley couldn’t deal with James’ requests. Magic can.

Magic’s a leader. He knows how to rule over people without them feeling like their being ruled over. Riley not so much.

Magic is my favorite player of all time... so I have a lot of respect for him... and what you say about the psychology of the situation makes sense.

However, you are assuming a lot to say an untested management team is definitely better than a man who ran three successful franchises.

Hope you are right.

Thanks, but I’m not saying Magic & Co. are “better” than Riley as overall basketball administrators. I’m saying that when it comes to being an amenable leader, Magic has more of those qualities than Riley.

Like I said, Riley could never manage Lavar Ball.

I think that's more a function of LaVar allowing Magic to manage him... his position as an icon of the African American community would carry a lot of influence that Riley wouldn't have. I could be wrong... but that's my take on that situation.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19233570/why-miami-heat-president-pat-riley-leave-nba

Riley is tough... but so is LeBron and his team... I only hope Magic and Rob are up for the challenge should they decide to accept it.

One could argue though that if the Heat had young talent on their roster on the level of Ball, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle, and Hart, he may have never left, even with Riley and James’ clash of egos.

Magic is different though. He knows how to be amenable yet maintain authority. James and Magic would be a healthy marriage. Riley could never deal with Lavar Ball. Magic can. Riley couldn’t deal with James’ requests. Magic can.

Magic’s a leader. He knows how to rule over people without them feeling like their being ruled over. Riley not so much.

Magic is my favorite player of all time... so I have a lot of respect for him... and what you say about the psychology of the situation makes sense.

However, you are assuming a lot to say an untested management team is definitely better than a man who ran three successful franchises.

Hope you are right.

Thanks, but I’m not saying Magic & Co. are “better” than Riley as overall basketball administrators. I’m saying that when it comes to being an amenable leader, Magic has more of those qualities than Riley.

I think that's more a function of LaVar allowing Magic to manage him... his position as an icon of the African American community would carry a lot of influence that Riley wouldn't have. I could be wrong... but that's my take on that situation.

No, you’re probably right.

Add Magic’s big-ass smile and gregarious giggle and it only adds to my point that he is much more of an amenable leader than Pat Riley. Magic’s cache as a respected “Black” member of the Los Angeles community is a tremendous help with Lavar Ball (and potentially James as well); I agree with you.

Magic is far from Dan Gilbert though — he’s not greasing up his booty hole for LBJ — but he’s not the military minded, fall in line type that Riley is either. He leans more toward Riley but, again, more amenable and flexible as a leader, IMO.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Hope you are right.

No, you’re probably right.

Add Magic’s big-ass smile and gregarious giggle and it only adds to my point that he is much more of an amenable leader than Pat Riley. Magic’s cache as a respected “Black” member of the Los Angeles community is a tremendous help with Lavar Ball (and potentially James as well); I agree with you.

Magic is far from Dan Gilbert though — he’s not greasing up his booty hole for LBJ — but he’s not the military minded, fall in line type that Riley is either. He leans more toward Riley but, again, more amenable and flexible as a leader, IMO.

Yep agree that Magic's softer demeanor wouldn't threaten the alphas as much and I also agree that LeBron would have more respect for him than Gilbert for sure and maybe even Riley.

As I've said... I'm not against it... I'm just cautious about the move.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I want him but only if he comes with PG and a re-signed Randle. I don't think we win a title otherwise while Lebron is still good enough to make a significant difference. If we aren't contending for a title with Lebron, I don't see the point of him being here.

Is that even possible? Setting aside the fairy dust scenarios being pushed by people like Pincus, I don't see how we would ever have enough cap room.

Yes, it’s possible.

I specified that I was not considering fairy dust scenarios. But even if we got someone to take Deng for a draft pick, the scenario still doesn't work unless you double down on the fairy dust and assume that Randle would sign with us for cheap.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Yes, it’s possible.

I specified that I was not considering fairy dust scenarios. But even if we got someone to take Deng for a draft pick, the scenario still doesn't work unless you double down on the fairy dust and assume that Randle would sign with us for cheap.

It’s not fairy dust dude.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Lakers would have 66 million dollars available if they trade Deng and DO NOT renounce Randle’s caphold.

That’d be just enough to sign both James and George (James-35 per/George-30 per).

After George and James are signed, they can sign Randle to damn near anything they like (up to 25 mill or so).

Again, not fairy dust.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:
These poll results are insane. The majority of Laker fans don’t want arguably the greatest basketball player, if not a top 5 player ever, who still is the best player in the league to join this team?

A lot of it stems from Lebron challenging and surpassing Kobe’s legacy, but Lebron immediately makes us a title contender.

Right. The bold is probably the primary reason. So many fans have grown accustomed to hating LeBron passionately and minimizing/downplaying his greatness to make Kobe come out on top in the Kobe vs LeBron debate. For them, cheering for LeBron in a Lakers uniform is like cheering for Hitler or something.

But if LeBron leads the Lakers to two titles, causing the org to finally pass Boston, he gets his jersey retired and a statue outside of Staples at absolute minimum. When you combine that with the CLE championship, that might be enough to finally put him over Jordan, even if he ends his career with one less title.

Some don't see the path to two titles and all the glory you are fantasizing about. There are multiple counter-arguments against him being able to build a Laker roster capable of winning a incredibly competitive West title in the next couple years.

Some of us "foolish" fans are willing to acknowledge the downsides of James joining the Lakers. And all the places for the risky plan to fall apart. Window for a win is short with James. Risky to to think he/Lakers can accomplish it only to leave the Lakers in a worse situation.

Current roster and coaches are developing together in a positive trend. Why not continue building on that combination of talent, chemistry and style instead of changing the path again.

Now go wash your hands! :D

Beautiful!!!!!

Coach Wooden
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:
These poll results are insane. The majority of Laker fans don’t want arguably the greatest basketball player, if not a top 5 player ever, who still is the best player in the league to join this team?

A lot of it stems from Lebron challenging and surpassing Kobe’s legacy, but Lebron immediately makes us a title contender.

Right. The bold is probably the primary reason. So many fans have grown accustomed to hating LeBron passionately and minimizing/downplaying his greatness to make Kobe come out on top in the Kobe vs LeBron debate. For them, cheering for LeBron in a Lakers uniform is like cheering for Hitler or something.

But if LeBron leads the Lakers to two titles, causing the org to finally pass Boston, he gets his jersey retired and a statue outside of Staples at absolute minimum. When you combine that with the CLE championship, that might be enough to finally put him over Jordan, even if he ends his career with one less title.

Some don't see the path to two titles and all the glory you are fantasizing about. There are multiple counter-arguments against him being able to build a Laker roster capable of winning a incredibly competitive West title in the next couple years.

Some of us "foolish" fans are willing to acknowledge the downsides of James joining the Lakers. And all the places for the risky plan to fall apart. Window for a win is short with James. Risky to to think he/Lakers can accomplish it only to leave the Lakers in a worse situation.

Current roster and coaches are developing together in a positive trend. Why not continue building on that combination of talent, chemistry and style instead of changing the path again.

Now go wash your hands!

Beautiful!!!!!

Folks acknowledge though that Magic's unabashed plan is to sign 2 max level FAs in 2018 and or through 2019. The whole “organic rebuild” is a part of the plan and not the ends though.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Now go wash your hands! :D

Beautiful!!!!!

Folks acknowledge though that Magic's unabashed plan is to sign 2 max level FAs in 2018 and or through 2019. The whole “organic rebuild” is a part of the plan and not the ends though.

True, My point of contention is the "LeBron at all cost crowd". There are legitimate reasons not to want LeBron and they have noting to do with diminishing legacy of others.

Coach Wooden
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but the Lakers would have 66 million dollars available if they trade Deng and DO NOT renounce Randle’s caphold.

That’d be just enough to sign both James and George (James-35 per/George-30 per).

After George and James are signed, they can sign Randle to damn near anything they like (up to 25 mill or so).

Again, not fairy dust.

No, that's wrong. Your assumption that we can trade Deng without getting any salary back is one of Eric's fairy dust theories. Yeah, some team is going to take a late first round draft pick or two in exchange for the privilege of eating Deng's contract. Sure thing.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Again, not fairy dust.

No, that's wrong. Your assumption that we can trade Deng without getting any salary back is one of Eric's fairy dust theories. Yeah, some team is going to take a late first round draft pick or two in exchange for the privilege of eating Deng's contract. Sure thing.

I hear you. Call me Tinklebell then homie, because I believe that Atlanta or Chicago would gladly take Deng for two picks.

I take it you, as a Laker GM, would never do that deal?
NYClakerguy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

yo're right. I just (bleep) hate lebron james as a person and a player. I think I just don't want him on the team because I can't stomach him in purple and gold.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I hear you. Call me Tinklebell then homie, because I believe that Atlanta or Chicago would gladly take Deng for two picks.

Hell no, Tinklebell. Why would a team rent out its cap space for a couple late first round picks? You seem to have the same problem as Eric. You see things purely from the Lakers' point of view and not from the point of view of the other team. The first thing that Atlanta or Chicago would say is "Toss in Ingram, and we'll talk." They can use the cap space to sign a real flesh and blood player, or they can turn themselves into a parking lot for the Lakers. It's not a tough choice.

That's why it's fairy dust. The other teams in the league are not sitting around wondering how they can get a couple lousy draft picks from the Lakers. These sorts of fairy dust deals make sense only to bloggers like Eric and people who have never worked in the business world.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Hell no, Tinklebell. Why would a team rent out its cap space for a couple late first round picks? You seem to have the same problem as Eric. You see things purely from the Lakers' point of view and not from the point of view of the other team. The first thing that Atlanta or Chicago would say is "Toss in Ingram, and we'll talk." They can use the cap space to sign a real flesh and blood player, or they can turn themselves into a parking lot for the Lakers. It's not a tough choice.

That's why it's fairy dust. The other teams in the league are not sitting around wondering how they can get a couple lousy draft picks from the Lakers. These sorts of fairy dust deals make sense only to bloggers like Eric and people who have never worked in the business world.

You very well could be right, but it’s not without precedent.

Utah “helped” the Warriors clear space to sign Durant by taking on (I believe) Richard Jefferson and Biedrins with a draft pick or two.
Brooklyn took on Demarre Carrol’s contract for a first rounder from Toronto.
The Vancouver Grizzlies “helped” the Lakers clear space to sign Shaq by taking on Anthony Peeler, George Lynch, and a couple of picks.
There are more examples that I just can’t recall at the moment.

Hard to call something fairy dust when it’s happened several times before.

Sounds like you don’t know you’re history.

Atlanta is a prime candidate (as is Chicago) to collect lousy draft picks from the Lakers to park Deng for two years. Why? Because, like Brooklyn this summer, they’ll have absolutely no intention of using their space. They’d rather have the two picks and lose their space that they won’t use than to keep the space (without the draft picks) as if they’re gaining some type of moral victory.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
The question is whether a team with lbj keeps the youth. Especially with his biological clock ticking like mad. He does have a history of leaving every team spent behind him, and the question of whether he’d go to war with the youngsters or want another vet or three is legitimate.

He’s never had a stable of talented youth like this before ... and he’s never been this old before. He understands, especially after his experience this year with that old-ass Cavs squad that he needs talented youth around him, young guys with immense skill and exuberance.

I feel your point, but contextually, James would not sign up to come here if he wasn’t all in on Ball and Ingram and Hart and Kuzma as guys he’d be willing to go to war with (I left off Randle because I see the Lakers swapping him out for a cheaper Nerlens Noel).

We all have opinions here, as we should, but mine is that James would VALUE the youngsters, not want them replaced in favor of his old banana buddies.

I voted no because I don't want to sacrifice what we have going on here with our young core. I would rather continue with what we have and add PG who is a much better fit age wise.

BUT- if the bolded is true and he would be willing to/able to play with the young guys and help them grow and not want to trade half the roster then my vote would be a yes. It is hard to say what his motivations will be.

My thoughts are that he will not want to come to the Lakers and deal with all the youth. I think he either stays with the Land or goes to a team like Philly that has an older young core who are closer to competing for a title at this time.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

You very well could be right, but it’s not without precedent.

Utah “helped” the Warriors clear space to sign Durant by taking on (I believe) Richard Jefferson and Biedrins with a draft pick or two.
Brooklyn took on Demarre Carrol’s contract for a first rounder from Toronto.
The Vancouver Grizzlies “helped” the Lakers clear space to sign Shaq by taking on Anthony Peeler, George Lynch, and a couple of picks.
There are more examples that I just can’t recall at the moment.

Hard to call something fairy dust when it’s happened several times before.

Atlanta is a prime candidate (as is Chicago) to collect lousy draft picks from the Lakers to park Deng for two years. Why? Because, like Brooklyn this summer, they’ll have absolutely no intention of using their space. They’d rather have the two picks and lose their space that they won’t use than to keep the space (without the draft picks) as if they’re gaining some type of moral victory.

Agree that it is not impossible to find a taker for just 2 years of Deng in return for 2 first round draft picks. 2 first round picks are worth a lot and a team that got Deng may be able to move him the very next year as an ending contract. Not as far fetched as it seems.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I was kind of anti early on because i thought it would require us to unload all of our young guys to get him some win-now vets and what the hell would i be left to root for other than laundry? You want to watch at least some of your guys grow into winners. That's why Kobe inspired the greatest zealotry of the Shaq/kobe Lakers--he was OURS. A homegrown Laker.

Ingram and Ball and i think even Randle have proved they can be ready sooner than later and I think Lebron would give them a chance to show it.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

If James wanted to play with a bunch of veterans, he would not come to the Lakers. Period.

There is NO possibility that he comes here, praising this young core, then demands that they’re all traded for vets.

That’s irrational, emotional thinking.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

Right. You should at least run a Google search before you start accusing someone else of not knowing their history. I started with the first of your examples.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-acquires-biedrins-jefferson-rush-and-five-future-draft-picks-three-team-trade/

It had nothing to do with Kevin Durant, it was not for a draft pick or two, and Golden State got Iguodala as part of the deal.

Anyway, I've explained my point pretty clearly. You either get it, or else more words will accomplish nothing. Other teams act in their own best interests, not the best interests of the Lakers. Fairy dust is fairy dust, no matter how much we want it to be otherwise.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject:

You’re all getting too worked up in this..

He ain’t coming.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Not really becaise i know hes gonna change the offense.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Right. You should at least run a Google search before you start accusing someone else of not knowing their history. I started with the first of your examples.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-acquires-biedrins-jefferson-rush-and-five-future-draft-picks-three-team-trade/

It had nothing to do with Kevin Durant, it was not for a draft pick or two, and Golden State got Iguodala as part of the deal.

Anyway, I've explained my point pretty clearly. You either get it, or else more words will accomplish nothing. Other teams act in their own best interests, not the best interests of the Lakers. Fairy dust is fairy dust, no matter how much we want it to be otherwise.

I stand corrected. It was Bogut who was traded to make room for Durant. He was traded to Dallas. Sue me. I operate off memory when I’m on here.

Are my other examples incorrect too, or are you just cherry picking.

The fact remains the same: There is precedent for teams sending high-priced players to teams with capspace in exchange for draft picks.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

I will honestly feel bad for JC and Larry if Lebron dips to their former team and returns us to glory
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Lmao LBJ is not coming fam.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
akk7 wrote:

Now go wash your hands!

I wasn't "fantasizing" about the potential success of the franchise if LeBron comes any more than you "fantasize" of the potential success if he doesn't come. We're all "fantasizing" about these things to a certain degree, aren't we? How could we have these discussions without doing that? We envision what we want to see happen, the path to get there, etc. Envisioning the young players growing together over the next several years and believing that's the best path to take in order to win titles is just as much of a "fantasy." It's just a fantasy of a different type. Besides, the point I was making there wasn't a prediction of what I expect to happen if LeBron comes. I was making a specific point about how signing with the Lakers would impact his legacy, if successful. You could at least try to make those distinctions instead of clumping two posts together that were addressing different aspects of this. That was just clumsy reasoning on your part.

Yes, I'm aware that people who don't want LeBron to come have counter-arguments. It's not like the idea of signing LeBron is some brand new topic that hasn't been debated on LG for the last nine months. I know what the counter-arguments are, but people such as myself have counter-arguments for those counter-arguments. It goes both ways. Again, this has been dissected relentlessly on this forum for nine months now. By now, we've all pondered the best arguments from both sides, presumably anyway.

And for the record, not once have I ever stated that I want LeBron to come to the Lakers at any and all costs. If he's going to make demands (which I don't expect him to do since Magic Johnson would be his boss), I don't want him. I would hope that the FO doesn't fire Luke to appease him, whether before he signs or afterward. I would also hope that the young core remains intact (which only includes Lonzo, BI, Kuzma, and Josh Hart anyways). I'm pretty sure he wants to play with Lonzo and Kuzma, and would probably love having a guy like Josh Hart off the bench as well. The only real question mark is BI. LeBron has dished out high praise for him in the past, so I'd like to think he'd enjoy playing with him, even if the fit is a bit of a question mark. But the FO has been extremely high on BI and he's proven their evaluation right this year, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they (primarily Magic) could sell LeBron on playing with him, if necessary.

Also, you should probably reread my last post in this thread, and try to do so with a little less of that clumsiness of yours. I never referred to anyone who opposes the idea of signing LeBron as foolish. But then again, hit dogs holler, don't they?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: