Do you WANT to see LeBron become a Laker?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want LeBron to become a Laker?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 100 ]
No
52%
 52%  [ 141 ]
Undecided
11%
 11%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 271

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Sounds like you don’t know you’re history.

Right. You should at least run a Google search before you start accusing someone else of not knowing their history. I started with the first of your examples.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-acquires-biedrins-jefferson-rush-and-five-future-draft-picks-three-team-trade/

It had nothing to do with Kevin Durant, it was not for a draft pick or two, and Golden State got Iguodala as part of the deal.

Anyway, I've explained my point pretty clearly. You either get it, or else more words will accomplish nothing. Other teams act in their own best interests, not the best interests of the Lakers. Fairy dust is fairy dust, no matter how much we want it to be otherwise.

I stand corrected. It was Bogut who was traded to make room for Durant. He was traded to Dallas. Sue me. I operate off memory when I’m on here.

Are my other examples incorrect too, or are you just cherry picking.

The fact remains the same: There is precedent for teams sending high-priced players to teams with capspace in exchange for draft picks.

I just picked the first one and stopped there because it was wrong. But what the heck. The second one was Demarre Carroll, who has started 60 games for the Nets this season. The third one was Peeler and Lynch, 32 years ago. Their combined salary was $3.5M, and combined they started 84 games for the Grizzlies that year. The salary cap was about $24M, so Peeler and Lynch were making around the average for starters.

None of that sounds much like some team eating a $35M salary cap hit for a couple late first round picks and a washed up 33 year old player.

Again, I've explained my point pretty clearly. If you choose not to believe it, throwing more words at you will accomplish nothing.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject:

It would be sweet to take him away from the Cavs owner after that idiot celebrated our team not getting Chris Paul. I’m surprised so many people voted no to a guy that gets comparisons to MJ. Lebron still looks like he has a few years left of elite basketball. It would make the Clippers jealous. What’s not to like?
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:

Sure I do if he comes with PG. We'd be contenders right away. If that coasts us Randle, as much as I like him and aswell as he's played this season, that's a fair price.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah I really respect what Randle was able to do this year...but if he is essentially the "cost" for bringing in Bron and PG I really don't see anyway the FO passes on that.

I'm sure the Lakers would try and see if they can do a sign and trade with Randle

C - ?/Zubac/Bryant
PF - Bron/Kuzma
SF - BI/PG
SG - PG/Hart
PG - Ball/?

That team is definitely in the hunt in year 1 and depending on what that final roster might look like and growth curve of the young guys they could easily be in the finals...
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Right. You should at least run a Google search before you start accusing someone else of not knowing their history. I started with the first of your examples.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/news/jazz-acquires-biedrins-jefferson-rush-and-five-future-draft-picks-three-team-trade/

It had nothing to do with Kevin Durant, it was not for a draft pick or two, and Golden State got Iguodala as part of the deal.

Anyway, I've explained my point pretty clearly. You either get it, or else more words will accomplish nothing. Other teams act in their own best interests, not the best interests of the Lakers. Fairy dust is fairy dust, no matter how much we want it to be otherwise.

I stand corrected. It was Bogut who was traded to make room for Durant. He was traded to Dallas. Sue me. I operate off memory when I’m on here.

The fact remains the same: There is precedent for teams sending high-priced players to teams with capspace in exchange for draft picks.

I just picked the first one and stopped there because it was wrong. But what the heck. The second one was Demarre Carroll, who has started 60 games for the Nets this season. The third one was Peeler and Lynch, 32 years ago. Their combined salary was $3.5M, and combined they started 84 games for the Grizzlies that year. The salary cap was about $24M, so Peeler and Lynch were making around the average for starters.

None of that sounds much like some team eating a $35M salary cap hit for a couple late first round picks and a washed up 33 year old player.

Again, I've explained my point pretty clearly. If you choose not to believe it, throwing more words at you will accomplish nothing.

It's highly unlikely that it would happen, but it's not completely unreasonable. If a team that can't attract free agents and is rebuilding looks at Deng as basically 2 first rounders plus any other potential assets when dealt as an ending contract, they'd have to entertain the notion. The problem is reality. Deng even as an ending contract isn't worth the paper the contract was printed on. Heck, the team would probably have to give up the first rounders just to get rid of his ending contract, basically making the deal a net zero gain. Why would any team make that move? The only way it'd make sense for any other team would be if Deng were to have shown that he's still a solid productive player, but fat chance of that happening with the Lakers right now and the foreseeable future. An equivalent situation is Matt Kemp with the Dodgers, and he's actually productive as a potential DH and teams still won't look at him as a trade candidate. That's the new reality of sports - the salary cap rules the day.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I contend that there is some precedent for a high-priced guy going to another team with space with draft picks, but, if you’re looking for an example that is EXACTLY like that Deng situation, I concede that there isn’t one.

Without doing any research, Carroll is the best example I can think of, and it works for me.

Even though he starts and plays probably thirty minutes a game, do you think Brooklyn really wanted Carroll on their team?

Were they really interested in his skillset, or were they PRIMARILY interested in the first round pick?

If the answer here is that Brooklyn was driven to make that trade with Toronto for the pick, then, to me, there is precedent for a team with space being willing to take on a high-priced guy into their space for a first round draft picks.

Deng is probably worse than Carroll as a player, so a team with space (like Atlanta) would demand more than Brooklyn demanded for Carroll.

Based on everything I’ve shared, if Atlanta does, in fact, have no intention of using their space, if the Lakers call and offer them two firsts to take on Deng, I think they consider it. It’d be prudent if they don’t intend to use the space.

Atlanta (or Chicago) taking on Deng for two firsts would be quite practical for them. They may be able to squeeze out a second round pick or two and money from the Lakers as well.

I know you don’t accept the Carroll trade as a reasonable comparison, but, like I stated, if Brooklyn was primarily interested in the first round pick, as far as I’m concerned, there is clear precedence here.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

Here's a thought:

Anyone think LeBron could help the Lakers when they need a go-to guy to close out games?

After another pitiful end-of-game collapse last night in Denver, I think LeBron is exactly what they need...
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I contend that there is some precedent for a high-priced guy going to another team with space with draft picks, but, if you’re looking for an example that is EXACTLY like that Deng situation, I concede that there isn’t one.

Without doing any research, Carroll is the best example I can think of, and it works for me.

Even though he starts and plays probably thirty minutes a game, do you think Brooklyn really wanted Carroll on their team?

Were they really interested in his skillset, or were they PRIMARILY interested in the first round pick?

If the answer here is that Brooklyn was driven to make that trade with Toronto for the pick, then, to me, there is precedent for a team with space being willing to take on a high-priced guy into their space for a first round draft picks.

Deng is probably worse than Carroll as a player, so a team with space (like Atlanta) would demand more than Brooklyn demanded for Carroll.

Based on everything I’ve shared, if Atlanta does, in fact, have no intention of using their space, if the Lakers call and offer them two firsts to take on Deng, I think they consider it. It’d be prudent if they don’t intend to use the space.

Atlanta (or Chicago) taking on Deng for two firsts would be quite practical for them. They may be able to squeeze out a second round pick or two and money from the Lakers as well.

I know you don’t accept the Carroll trade as a reasonable comparison, but, like I stated, if Brooklyn was primarily interested in the first round pick, as far as I’m concerned, there is clear precedence here.

The Carroll analogy isn't a great one, but it's not awful either. There's a couple of differences.

First, Carroll was a serviceable player at the time he was acquired. Deng isn't.

Second, I believe Brooklyn had no picks in the 2017 draft and so the value of the incoming pick was much greater than when you don't have one at all.

But me, I'd grant you that your example at least highlights that it is feasible. However, it is highly unlikely given that Deng has negative player value in the sense that he burns a roster spot with giving anything back on the court.

So I think a better analogy, would be to find a situation where a team moved a high-priced player with picks, in exchange for essentially nothing, where the team acquiring that high-priced player had no intentions or expectations of playing said player.

That particular scenario, is extremely rare if not non-existent.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Here's a thought:

Anyone think LeBron could help the Lakers when they need a go-to guy to close out games?

After another pitiful end-of-game collapse last night in Denver, I think LeBron is exactly what they need...

Absolutely. He may get criticized by ESPN for not forcing up the last shot but Lebron's teams have always been efficient late-game because Lebron's willing to pass the ball to the open man.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
Here's a thought:

Absolutely. He may get criticized by ESPN for not forcing up the last shot but Lebron's teams have always been efficient late-game because Lebron's willing to pass the ball to the open man.

Any team with LBJ will get the benefit of him drawing the team’s entire defense. Guys like Pg13/Lonzo/bi etc will be open like never before.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
But me, I'd grant you that your example at least highlights that it is feasible. However, it is highly unlikely given that Deng has negative player value in the sense that he burns a roster spot with giving anything back on the court.

So I think a better analogy, would be to find a situation where a team moved a high-priced player with picks, in exchange for essentially nothing, where the team acquiring that high-priced player had no intentions or expectations of playing said player.

To some extent, we’ve forced ourselves into that scenario by not playing Deng at all. No one has any reason to believe that Deng could provide serviceable minutes. If you acquired him, he would just be a hole in your cap space for two to five years, depending on whether you stretched him.

It is not literally impossible that another team would make this sort of deal, or that some other team would think that Deng still has something in the tank. Instead, my beef with Eric Pincus and the starry eyed posters in Eric’s threads is that they have a blind spot for the dynamics of the business world. The other side to a transaction is not passive or helpless. The question is not whether Team A might consider doing something. The question is how much Team A could extract from the Lakers to do it, and whether Team A’s other options are better.

Suppose that Team A has $17M in cap space. In theory, we could essentially rent that cap space for a couple draft picks plus cash. That is what a Deng trade would be, in economic substance. But what if another team pops up and offers better draft picks or a young player who can contribute, if Team A will eat some bad contract? What if Team A says, screw this, and uses the $17M on an offer sheet for Julius Randle? We could come up with dozens of scenarios like this.

If we pull off one of these wet dream scenarios this summer, our draft picks would be expected to be 25th or later. Those are not valuable, coveted assets. Some years you can literally buy a draft pick in the 25-30 range. The early second round picks are more valuable because they are not subject to the rookie scale. So, outside the realm of fairy dust, why is any team making that deal?

Having said all of that, I’ll give you one possible scenario that might work. There might be some GM out there who has bought into the Kuzma hype and who might be suckered into making a deal for Kuzma and a couple draft picks. It would need to be a GM who doesn’t believe in analytics, but there might still be one out there. If Magic managed to pull off a better deal than that, I would be impressed.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Deng/1st for Asik is the more realistic idea IMO.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Here's a thought:

Here’s another thought. If Ingram and Hart were available to defend Denver’s guards the collapse may not have happened either. Also Ingram has shown confidence to make plays down the stretch on offense too. I’m guessing another year of NBA seasoning changes the decisions of all the rookies and young players on the floor too.

Once again. In isolated incidents it is easy to insert James and get excited.

But adding James is not so simple an issue. It is committing everything to the James circus for a couple of years for his Farewell Tour Cost in salary, players, style of play, defense, mpg totals, front office and media concerns all have to be entered into the equation.

Adding James is not like any other FA. Both good and bad.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

We win with Ingram and Hart as well. This young core has great defensive talent.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject:

IF (Big IF), LeBron does sign here, I would think it would a 3-year no-trade contract with a Player-Option after each year, which would help the Lakers too in case he wants to leave before the full three years.

I also SURE wish the Lakers had Jerry West in their corner to talk to LeBron. Magic might do OK talking with him, but I would not let Kobe near him...
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

To some extent, we’ve forced ourselves into that scenario by not playing Deng at all. No one has any reason to believe that Deng could provide serviceable minutes. If you acquired him, he would just be a hole in your cap space for two to five years, depending on whether you stretched him.

It is not literally impossible that another team would make this sort of deal, or that some other team would think that Deng still has something in the tank. Instead, my beef with Eric Pincus and the starry eyed posters in Eric’s threads is that they have a blind spot for the dynamics of the business world. The other side to a transaction is not passive or helpless. The question is not whether Team A might consider doing something. The question is how much Team A could extract from the Lakers to do it, and whether Team A’s other options are better.

Suppose that Team A has $17M in cap space. In theory, we could essentially rent that cap space for a couple draft picks plus cash. That is what a Deng trade would be, in economic substance. But what if another team pops up and offers better draft picks or a young player who can contribute, if Team A will eat some bad contract? What if Team A says, screw this, and uses the $17M on an offer sheet for Julius Randle? We could come up with dozens of scenarios like this.

If we pull off one of these wet dream scenarios this summer, our draft picks would be expected to be 25th or later. Those are not valuable, coveted assets. Some years you can literally buy a draft pick in the 25-30 range. The early second round picks are more valuable because they are not subject to the rookie scale. So, outside the realm of fairy dust, why is any team making that deal?

Having said all of that, I’ll give you one possible scenario that might work. There might be some GM out there who has bought into the Kuzma hype and who might be suckered into making a deal for Kuzma and a couple draft picks. It would need to be a GM who doesn’t believe in analytics, but there might still be one out there. If Magic managed to pull off a better deal than that, I would be impressed.

If you asked me two or three years ago to if the Lakers could trade for Deng and receive 2 first rounders I would have said yes. We were tanking and we needed draft picks.

The Hawks may very well want to be actively bad next year. Signing Randle doesn't help with that. There is also a salary floor they need to hit. Will they get a better deal somewhere? Yeah maybe, I don't know enough about other teams wanting/willing to unload for draft picks.

Kuzma was a late first round pick, as was Hart. There is value in late first rounders for a rebuilding team that trusts their scouting.

I think Carrol is a decent example. He was coming off an awful season where he only played 26 games. There was plenty of doubt whether he could provide any value going forward, Toronto gave him up for a reason.
He's playing better this year, but last year he averaged 9pts, 4rebounds, 1 assist. I think Deng can do that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Deng and a first/2nd for Asik.

Stretch Asik and I think we can do 2 max and keep Jules.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

If you asked me two or three years ago to if the Lakers could trade for Deng and receive 2 first rounders I would have said yes. We were tanking and we needed draft picks.

The Hawks may very well want to be actively bad next year. Signing Randle doesn't help with that. There is also a salary floor they need to hit. Will they get a better deal somewhere? Yeah maybe, I don't know enough about other teams wanting/willing to unload for draft picks.

Kuzma was a late first round pick, as was Hart. There is value in late first rounders for a rebuilding team that trusts their scouting.

I think Carrol is a decent example. He was coming off an awful season where he only played 26 games. There was plenty of doubt whether he could provide any value going forward, Toronto gave him up for a reason.
He's playing better this year, but last year he averaged 9pts, 4rebounds, 1 assist. I think Deng can do that.

Thank you. People act like they know Deng is done, and they act like the evidence that he is done is that the Lakers don’t play him.

The reality is that no one here knows if he can play or not. The fact that the Lakers refuse to play him means nothing as to his actual playing ability. Nothing.

Regardless though, any team that would take him wouldn’t do it because they need Deng but because they want the extra stash of picks ... which is the ONLY reason Brooklyn took on Carroll.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

130 saying no to LeBron... the clear cut best player on the planet?
Codyb1010
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Is lebron really that good of a teammate or closer? I dont watch much of anyone but Lakers. You can add a player and throw chemistry way off, even if its the so called best player in the league.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

The real question is, does Julius want LeBron as a teammate?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if Lebron wants to be a Laker but his body language tonight said he doesn't want to be a Cav.
L.A.T.W
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I don't know if Lebron wants to be a Laker but his body language tonight said he doesn't want to be a Cav.

The real question is, do diehard Laker fans really want a guy who kind of zones out in games even if he is "The Best Player in the league" because he has a history of doing this?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

He's dreaming of feasting on the weak ass East with that young Sixers team. I'd be surprised and impressed if he chose to go up against the big boys out West.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

He's dreaming of feasting on the weak ass East with that young Sixers team. I'd be surprised and impressed if he chose to go up against the big boys out West.

Philly is sooooo risky though - with the Simmons compatibility issue, and Embiid
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: