OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1218, 1219, 1220 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirTupac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
People like you act like if the Lakers don't get these big FA's this season that those moves were a waste. I'm arguing they weren't. We weren't going anywhere with those players. Magic agrees with me.

Magic said they are bringing in 2 max FA stars. Not doing so is failure.

I was of this opinion for a while. But if they use that cap space to get some good values at bargain (i.e. moveable) deals (Barton and Hezonja) and/or rent out their cap space for assets, it greatly mitigates the "failure." They can make a run again at 2019 guys like Klay and Kawhi (or PG again if he 1+1s with OKC), while shrewdly growing our young guys for another year, like we always hoped they would.

In a weird way, i'd be massively in favor of the F.O. just flat out lying to us about future FAs and leveraging our faith/optimism in the new regime with just growing our young guys and adding good pieces like we always wished we could, but seemingly couldn't under the win-now expectations of Jeanie.

+1

Even the second part is well said.

Either way, the Lakers for me literally turned this sinking ship pretty quickly with the firing of Jim and getting Pelinka + Magic. The good days are coming I can only imagine how pissed everyone would be here with DLO's play this season.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Hart is going to be better than Kuzma. Kuzma is on another level.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
^ But IT isn't taking a cheap 3 year deal. Probably at minimum 10m/year is what he's looking for. No thanks.

I think he's a steal at 10 Mill per
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
^ But IT isn't taking a cheap 3 year deal. Probably at minimum 10m/year is what he's looking for. No thanks.

1 year deal ok, assuming we miss our top FAs. Anything longer is a bad use of cap space.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I read that IT can sign a 3 year 24M deal with us similar to what Lou got, that still gives us the chance to sign PG and LeBron depending on how we dump Deng and renounce contracts.

That means choosing IT over Jules. Um no.

First of all IG there is no IT with Lebron
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

With IT at 8 mill, you might still have space for a max contract in 2019 with PG this summer. That really depends on what Randle gets but it wouldn't be a bad Plan B at all. Though I'm skeptical IT would take that and be willing to come off the bench as well.

Last edited by PRLakeShow on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I read that IT can sign a 3 year 24M deal with us similar to what Lou got, that still gives us the chance to sign PG and LeBron depending on how we dump Deng and renounce contracts.

LeBron left Wade, then they came back together then they parted again...
We don't know what the vibe with IT was... It could have been a general frustration with the team... or maybe he really dislikes IT. I'm not saying there was anywhere near the same bond as a long time friend with whom he won championships, but we don't know unless there's an interview where he said he wants no part of him again.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We don't know what the vibe with IT was... It could have been a general frustration with the team... or maybe he really dislikes IT. I'm not saying there was anywhere near the same bond as a long time friend with whom he won championships, but we don't know unless there's an interview where he said he wants no part of him again.

The two guys dont like eachother after being on the same team.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

1 year deal ok, assuming we miss our top FAs. Anything longer is a bad use of cap space.

Why is it bad use of cap space?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Age. Hip. Height. Attitude. Bet that he wants to be a starter. No thanks. 1 year punt deal as a Plan C/D ok.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

The two guys dont like eachother after being on the same team.

After Lebron hit that game winner and ran right past IT like he wasn't even there, it was pretty obvious to me.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
The irony of the whole "Russell got us Kuzma" argument is that, in the end, Hart could actually end up as the better long term player for us. If so, people will be celebrating how trading Russell got us Hart (making no mention of Bryant).

i think Hart will be better then DLO but thats for another time, another thread

Kuzma and Hart could be better than Dlo.

Kuz maybe but DLO>>>>Hart
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Age. Hip. Height. Attitude. Bet that he wants to be a starter. No thanks. 1 year punt deal as a Plan C/D ok.

So Now players are done at 29? You're better than that Yinoma
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I don’t think he’s saying IT will be done. Just that it isn’t the best use of space (particularly if our end goal is a championship).
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He doesn't take over the top. We did these trades, so we can sign elite FA.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So you're suggesting punting until a star takes the money instead of Building around our guys?
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

I don't trust Curry's ankle to be stable next 3/4 years.

Lakers need to act now and get it going. They are just another contender without him and messed up cap situation
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So you're suggesting punting until a star takes the money instead of Building around our guys?

I think what he is suggesting is that NBA championships are built around Hall of Fame-type of players. One would probably need to go back to the 2004 Detroit team to find an NBA champion without a Hall of Fame player on the squad. The first goal of the front office needs to be to get the Lakers back to a point where an elite free agent future Hall of Famer could potentially sign. The second goal is to get such a player to actually sign. Does signing IT--a player who has the reputation of being a poor defensive player and needing to be the center of the offensive scheme--help or hurt in the hunt for that elite free agent? If it hurts, it is a bad use of cap space. If it helps, it is a good use of cap space.

By the way, two teams with championship aspirations--Boston and Cleveland--both decided in the last twelve months that IT needed to go.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Whiteside just bust Embiids ass tonight.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think what he is suggesting is that NBA championships are built around Hall of Fame-type of players. One would probably need to go back to the 2004 Detroit team to find an NBA champion without a Hall of Fame player on the squad. The first goal of the front office needs to be to get the Lakers back to a point where an elite free agent future Hall of Famer could potentially sign. The second goal is to get such a player to actually sign. Does signing IT--a player who has the reputation of being a poor defensive player and needing to be the center of the offensive scheme--help or hurt in the hunt for that elite free agent? If it hurts, it is a bad use of cap space. If it helps, it is a good use of cap space. Two teams with championship aspirations--Boston and Cleveland--both voted in the last twelve months that IT needed to go.

Mugsy was a hall of famer so im sure IT could make it there. Signing IT isnt a means of building around IT its a means of Building around Lonzo and Ingram etc...So if we dont believe we have any potential hall of famers on the roster then we should be trading for some instead of trading for cap space.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think what he is suggesting is that NBA championships are built around Hall of Fame-type of players. One would probably need to go back to the 2004 Detroit team to find an NBA champion without a Hall of Fame player on the squad. The first goal of the front office needs to be to get the Lakers back to a point where an elite free agent future Hall of Famer could potentially sign. The second goal is to get such a player to actually sign. Does signing IT--a player who has the reputation of being a poor defensive player and needing to be the center of the offensive scheme--help or hurt in the hunt for that elite free agent? If it hurts, it is a bad use of cap space. If it helps, it is a good use of cap space. Two teams with championship aspirations--Boston and Cleveland--both voted in the last twelve months that IT needed to go.

Mugsy was a hall of famer so im sure IT could make it there. Signing IT isnt a means of building around IT its a means of Building around Lonzo and Ingram etc...So if we dont believe we have any potential hall of famers on the roster then we should be trading for some instead of trading for cap space.

Then value deals would be better (eg. Evans this year, LouWill when we had him, etc) so those become trade assets. I doubt IT can be had at an easily tradeable ‘value’ deal.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yes . This team could win in the mid 30's this season. The only guy we need to sign long-term is Randle, and we can do it after we use our capspace. We have 47-48 million we can split on Lopez , KCP and Thomas on one year deals. If Randle contract is reasonable, we can still chase max guys in 2019.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

As of this exact moment, I don't expect IT to make it to the Hall of Fame. I could be wrong. He certainly won't make it as the sixth man coming off of the bench for the Lakers.

Not too many teams are currently open to trading future Hall of Famers--especially those that are still in their prime. Trading for one is hard; trading for "some" is next to impossible.

--Anonymous

Last edited by Annihilator on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Daphanabe wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Then value deals would be better (eg. Evans this year, LouWill when we had him, etc) so those become trade assets. I doubt IT can be had at an easily tradeable ‘value’ deal.

Those two guys avg 20+ this season what makes you think IT value around the league which has limited teams with cap space would be higher than those guys coming off a hip injury? Wouldnt mind having thoaw guys but a back up PG is a need.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah let’s disregard his hip injury and the fact that most under 5’9 guys do not age well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1218, 1219, 1220 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1219 of 2680
Jump to: