Hollywood Hoops: Digging Into the Math on Julius Randle and the Los Angeles Lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Hollywood Hoops: Digging Into the Math on Julius Randle and the Los Angeles Lakers

Hey all,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 73: Digging Into the Math on Julius Randle and the Los Angeles Lakers w/@JoshMartinNBA
presented by @HighfiveHQ https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-73-digging-into-the-math-on-julius-randle-and-the-los-angeles-lakers/

also short video version:

Latest @hollywood_hoops Laid Back Reaction: Hollywood Hoops: Time for the Lakers to Consider Julius Randle a Core Piece? presented by @HighfiveHQ w/@JoshMartinNBA and guest appearance from "Bailey"

Cheers,

Eric
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hollywood Hoops: Digging Into the Math on Julius Randle and the Los Angeles Lakers

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 73: Digging Into the Math on Julius Randle and the Los Angeles Lakers w/@JoshMartinNBA
presented by @HighfiveHQ https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-73-digging-into-the-math-on-julius-randle-and-the-los-angeles-lakers/

also short video version:

Latest @hollywood_hoops Laid Back Reaction: Hollywood Hoops: Time for the Lakers to Consider Julius Randle a Core Piece? presented by @HighfiveHQ w/@JoshMartinNBA and guest appearance from "Bailey"

Cheers,

Eric
Great information! Where would Randle fit with James and George? Starting center? I say that because we would still have Kuzma and Ingram on our roster. They would have to both play the 3/4 along with Lebron, so only so many minutes to go around at forward, leaving Randle to only play center. He has his defensive short comings in terms of rim protection, but hes better then a lot of free agent centers that we could get with the room exception.
Doc JC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Nice article Eric. What kind of 1 year contract can the Lakers offer IT if they were to sign PG and match a max offer for Randle?

That seems to be the most likely scenario for me and would give them flexibility for next offseason. IT IMO will need a year to rehab his value and seems to want to remain in LA.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

yaassss trade picks to dump deng and keep Ju

easy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

So if we accomplish this scenario then no IT unless he wants to take the room exception or QO
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Doc JC wrote:
Nice article Eric. What kind of 1 year contract can the Lakers offer IT if they were to sign PG and match a max offer for Randle?

That seems to be the most likely scenario for me and would give them flexibility for next offseason. IT IMO will need a year to rehab his value and seems to want to remain in LA.
Doesnt Lebron not get along with IT? F---en politics.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

E, nice pod. Technical note: You mentioned that Jules can't sign an offer sheet during the moratorium. I think that changed in the last CBA meaning that such a contract could be signed during that period.

Maybe it's a distinction without a difference because the match period doesn't start until after the moratorium, also assuming the cap hit to the Lakers doesn't change from his $12+ million cap hold until they make their match decision giving them moratorium + 48 hours to leverage their cap and then make the decision on Randle.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

right meant the clock
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
right meant the clock

Thanks. BTW, was listening while in 'code mode' which makes one prone to minutia. Don't mean to look picky .
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

It's crazy to think that the Lakers, by simply bringing in two super stars will lead to a title, look at OKC, who gutted their depth to get PG and Carmelo, they now have three stars and are still not a Top-5 Team in the NBA.

Lakers need to figure out how to keep the vital role players on this team, period!

And if it means bringing in only one star, then so be it..

(your opinions may vary...)
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
It's crazy to think that the Lakers, by simply bringing in two super stars will lead to a title, look at OKC, who gutted their depth to get PG and Carmelo, they now have three stars and are still not a Top-5 Team in the NBA.

Lakers need to figure out how to keep the vital role players on this team, period!

They were built to be giant killers. We need to see how they do in the playoffs. Getting hosed pretty badly by GS the other week made them look pretty bad, but leading up to that point they had a pretty impressive record against the top teams this year. That being said, I still agree, it takes more than just getting a few stars, especially with GS and HOU playing the way they are with nothing but good years ahead for them, seemingly.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

The difference is we aren’t gonna gut our team we are gonna bring in players via FA, we might let a few role players walk but we have the money to bring in depth players like Seth Curry
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

melo is more of a borderline star scorer than an actual star. so they now have 2 stars and we see now that PG13 is just an allstar. not a superstar. so you have one superstar, another allstar and a offensive sometime allstar.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Any chance you guys can occasionally write an article rather than force us to sit through a podcast to get to the bottom line?
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Any chance you guys can occasionally write an article rather than force us to sit through a podcast to get to the bottom line?

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject:

Magic and Rob will just have to do what ever of the scenarios they can make happen. My guess is they will get most of these things accomplished but may not be able to get all of them accomplished due to timing issues or nobody willing to help the Lakers out.

I guess what I am wondering right now is, if we can get Lebron and George, then how long will they play for us and be better than Randle. I think Lebron may be one of those guys who can play until he is into his 40's like Jabbar did. In fact I think he may go even longer. Dude has an amazing NBA body and from what I understand, has rarely been injured in his whole career.

So will Lebron stick around for 5+ years and be effective. Then the same goes with George, though he is younger. I would like to see both these guys, if they come here, stay and complete their careers here.

The other thing I wonder about is, lets say we sign Randle and George, and hold onto our money for a second star the following year. Will we have enough money to go after Kawhi or someone similar? Or will signing Randle give us less cash to go after another star?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Magic and Rob will just have to do what ever of the scenarios they can make happen. My guess is they will get most of these things accomplished but may not be able to get all of them accomplished due to timing issues or nobody willing to help the Lakers out.

I guess what I am wondering right now is, if we can get Lebron and George, then how long will they play for us and be better than Randle. I think Lebron may be one of those guys who can play until he is into his 40's like Jabbar did. In fact I think he may go even longer. Dude has an amazing NBA body and from what I understand, has rarely been injured in his whole career.

So will Lebron stick around for 5+ years and be effective. Then the same goes with George, though he is younger. I would like to see both these guys, if they come here, stay and complete their careers here.

The other thing I wonder about is, lets say we sign Randle and George, and hold onto our money for a second star the following year. Will we have enough money to go after Kawhi or someone similar? Or will signing Randle give us less cash to go after another star?

What are you projecting Randle's salary to be for the 2019 - 20 season?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Wino wrote:

Not really sure, somewhere between 12-18 million. He is a steal at 12, and probably deserving of 18 though I am not sure whether he will get offers that high.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The thing with aging players is that there is just no way to accurately know when and how quickly the decline happens. If you look closely, you can see it is already starting with LeBron. Is it a gentle slope or a cliff? Who knows?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
Wino wrote:

Not really sure, somewhere between 12-18 million. He is a steal at 12, and probably deserving of 18 though I am not sure whether he will get offers that high.

It is doable, but the roster gets stripped in other areas to accomplish that goal.

* Randle at $15 million

* 2018 Cleveland first or 2019 LA first sent out as part of incentive package to facilitate moving Deng with no 2019 - 20 monetary charge against team salary

2019-20

$32,400,000......2019 Mid Tier Max (1)
$31,815,000......Paul George (2)

$15,000,000......Julius Randle (3)

$8,719,320........Lonzo Ball (4)
$7,265,485........Brandon Ingram (5)
$1,974,600........Kyle Kuzma (6)
$1,934,160........Josh Hart (7)

$2,200,000........2019 First Round Pick or 2018 Cleveland First (8)

$888,927...........Min Salary (9)
$888,927...........Min Salary (10)
$888,927...........Min Salary (11)
$888,927...........Min Salary (12)

$0.....................Lopez
$0.....................Luol Deng
$0.....................Ivica Zubac
$0.....................Thomas Bryant
$0.....................IT
Codyb1010
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

People are really downplaying age. Yes lebrons body is great and he hasnt been all that injured. As you get older your body wears down. I am only 29 and have worked out a lot. My body isnt like it used to be, Is Lebron really worth the risk? He doesnt close like Kobe, I didnt see him talking to his teammates at all or giving guidance. I just think keeping Randle on this team and keeping the youth core could eventually turn this team into a dynasty.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Codyb1010 wrote:
People are really downplaying age. Yes lebrons body is great and he hasnt been all that injured. As you get older your body wears down. I am only 29 and have worked out a lot. My body isnt like it used to be, Is Lebron really worth the risk? He doesnt close like Kobe, I didnt see him talking to his teammates at all or giving guidance. I just think keeping Randle on this team and keeping the youth core could eventually turn this team into a dynasty.

Lebron doesn’t sign more than a 1+1 these days anyways so it’s a moot point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: