Players Only on TNT: Do you support it?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Players Only on TNT: Do you support it?

So the network made a new theme for calling games, they bring a bunch of former players to do the commentating, a lot of knowledge to gain but it seems like most of them sleepwalk through games.... just curious how fans view it, seems like a lot of them don’t like it, I much rather have real commentators like Harlan and Albert calling the games.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Players Only on TNT: Do you support it?

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So the network made a new theme for calling games, they bring a bunch of former players to do the commentating, a lot of knowledge to gain but it seems like most of them sleepwalk through games.... just curious how fans view it, seems like a lot of them don’t like it, I much rather have real commentators like Harlan and Albert calling the games.

Same. Guys like Harlan and Marv are pros who know how to pump up the audience. The players-only guys on TNT are all pretty bland. They need real personalities like JVG, Shaq or Chuck.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I like it, but not in such big doses. A players-only game every now and then would be fun. Doing multiple players-only games every week is tedious, for exactly the reason you state.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I like it, but not in such big doses. A players-only game every now and then would be fun. Doing multiple players-only games every week is tedious, for exactly the reason you state.

My thoughts exactly, it’s good knowledge to see guys like Greg Anthony call the game, but it becomes pretty cheesy and dumb when they do it every other week
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I heard Chris Webber do a game last week. I'm fine with his commentary in the studio, but he's awful during the game. Players tend to want to constantly reference back to their playing days.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't want ex-professional announcers to play basketball. I don't want ex-professional basketball players to announce.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I like it as others have said once in a while to change it up but in limited doses.

One thing it does make you realize is the regular broadcasters really are professionals, though some are certainly better than others.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

It's gimmicky and they do it too frequently.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject:

It's garbage.

Same as Garnett's show. Complete garbage. There are experts in all fields. We should use them.

Not all former players translate into the booth and some try to replicate the chuckster.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject:

We live in some fantastic times, yet we still can’t choose the camera angle, style, or commentary to games.

At least as we please like changing a channel or volume.

It should be an option on modern cable boxes we should be able to switch from standard audio to ex-player audio to no audio and just arena sounds.

Same with views, sideline, front row, cheerleader view.

There is no creativity with standard hdtv options like that.

Nobody wants to log on to the internet to view it like that because that’s another tedious step.

Bye.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't this only happen around March Madness since they send their best professional broadcasters to do the NCAA games? Theres way more games than available competent staff so they end up with ex-players filling in to do the NBA games in between the first couple of weeks of the tournament.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I heard Chris Webber do a game last week. I'm fine with his commentary in the studio, but he's awful during the game. Players tend to want to constantly reference back to their playing days.

Yeah. Pretty much this. Webber’s great in the studio but not hot during games. And he’s a bright guy. Plus he’s responsible for this fantasticness. Breakfast and lunch! Darko is manna from heaven!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: