The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

I’m a fit guy, so here are my top two fits for James:

If he wants to play with at least one all-star veteran and, the rest, a full team of seasoned veterans, the best fit for him is San Antonio.

If he isn’t averse to playing with only one all-star veteran and, the rest, a team of very talented up and coming youngsters, the best fit for him is the Lakers.

It’s that simple.

If I were in his position, I’d almost most surely go with San Antonio if they could create the space while also leaving me with a competitive team, but if San Antonio’s roster were to become decimated by acquiring me, I’d roll the dice with the Lakers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A couple of millions per home playoff game goes a long way

They went to the FINALS and lost a ton of money. So if they’re not getting to the Finals they stand to lose even more money if they remain a repeater tax team.

In VLF’s world of math, revenue from a couple of home playoff games magically offsets massive repeater tax bills, but the magic only works in OKC and Cleveland.

Oh it works here, Dr. Buss was big on the home playoff games. Of course you knew that and are just being an ass. Yet the teams you guys cry won’t spend continue to spend.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They went to the FINALS and lost a ton of money. So if they’re not getting to the Finals they stand to lose even more money if they remain a repeater tax team.

In VLF’s world of math, revenue from a couple of home playoff games magically offsets massive repeater tax bills, but the magic only works in OKC and Cleveland.

Correction: It works for every organization except the Lakers.

Only the Lakers have never paid the luxury tax, or had a home playoff game in a half dozen seasons so if they will spend TBD.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

If he wants to play with at least one all-star veteran and, the rest, a full team of seasoned veterans, the best fit for him is San Antonio.

If he isn’t averse to playing with only one all-star veteran and, the rest, a team of very talented up and coming youngsters, the best fit for him is the Lakers.

It’s that simple.

If I were in his position, I’d almost most surely go with San Antonio if they could create the space while also leaving me with a competitive team, but if San Antonio’s roster were to become decimated by acquiring me, I’d roll the dice with the Lakers.

It depends on his objective. If it is a path to ownership, Cleveland makes sense. If it is to get to the Finals for a shot at a title, staying in the East makes sense. If it is just to make a lot of money, the Lakers or Clippers make sense. The Spurs would be a good destination but like the Rockets, it would take some creativity. It really wouldn’t surprise me if CP took a small one year deal to get him to Houston.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Only the Lakers have never paid the luxury tax, or had a home playoff game in a half dozen seasons so if they will spend TBD.

It can be argued that organizations in LA or NY, for example, are or have been dysfunctional. However, to say that flagship franchises in big markets like that are cheap and will not pay tax is completely wrong and inaccurate, especially since those teams have ridiculous local TV deals on top of the national TV deals. This is not the stone age where teams were dependent on ticket sales.

Big markets will always be able to pay the luxury tax.

To say that the Lakers would not pay the luxury tax, but then saying 100% that Cleveland or Oklahoma City will pay the luxury tax is a delusional argument tbh.

Sports business and finance doesn't work that way...if it did, there would be no need for a salary cap or luxury tax.

There are and always will be market inequities and every league has taken measures to rectify that reality...with MLB still being in the stone age somewhat with no cap and just revenue sharing and that's why the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. make the playoffs essentially every year.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

blatant false statement

1 google search gives you this:

Quote:

Marc Stein
ESPN Senior Writer
Jul 10, 2013

The Lakers will be forced to pay more than $29 million in luxury tax
for a team that -- thanks to a steady stream of injuries and L.A.'s well-chronicled chemistry problems -- barely squeaked into the playoffs and will go down as one of the biggest underachievers in league history.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9465225/los-angeles-lakers-hit-luxury-tax-29-million

Quote:
BY ERIC PINCUS
JUL 09, 2014 | 3:59 PM

Lakers charged $9 million in luxury tax for last year's 27-win season

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-9-million-luxury-taxes-27-wins-20140709-story.html

smh

Last edited by Jesusdelonla on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Oh it works here, Dr. Buss was big on the home playoff games. Of course you knew that and are just being an ass. Yet the teams you guys cry won’t spend continue to spend.

No- you’re the one being an ass, as you’re doing your usual deflect/change the argument routine when called out on your BS. But whatever it takes to make it seem like the Lakers have no shot at James or PG because it would destroy your constant “Jeanie, Magic and Rob suck” agenda trolling.

Home playoff games are important revenue sources for any team, but that’s not what you’ve been claiming. You have consistently made it sound like extra playoff games would offset the massive repeater tax bills that OKC and the Cavs would be facing next year, and the math has shown over and over that your assertion is false. The fact that you keep making it is either blissful ignorance or a disingenuous lie. So who’s being the ass ?
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The Cavs lost $30M despite getting home playoff revenue all the way through the Finals. It's basic math.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Lakeshow1843 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

They lost 40 mil when they won and lost money last year during their 3rd straight finals. I highly doubt 2 home playoff games is worth the price of the luxury tax bill they would get.

The tax write off might.

I won't even pretend to know how guys with that much money write taxes off. I do know that in league where revenue is shared I'd be pretty ticked off with other owners tanking money for their own gains like that.
Purp 32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

VLF vomiting contrarian b.s. again? Shocking.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

It’s that simple.

It depends on his objective. If it is a path to ownership, Cleveland makes sense. If it is to get to the Finals for a shot at a title, staying in the East makes sense. If it is just to make a lot of money, the Lakers or Clippers make sense. The Spurs would be a good destination but like the Rockets, it would take some creativity. It really wouldn’t surprise me if CP took a small one year deal to get him to Houston.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a foregone conclusion that the playoff seedings will change. The NBA powers that be will make that happen for Mr. James. Guaranteed.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

LAbron got a nice ovation tonight.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

LBJ come home (to your two 20m+ mansions).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

It can be argued that organizations in LA or NY, for example, are or have been dysfunctional. However, to say that flagship franchises in big markets like that are cheap and will not pay tax is completely wrong and inaccurate, especially since those teams have ridiculous local TV deals on top of the national TV deals. This is not the stone age where teams were dependent on ticket sales.

Big markets will always be able to pay the luxury tax.

To say that the Lakers would not pay the luxury tax, but then saying 100% that Cleveland or Oklahoma City will pay the luxury tax is a delusional argument tbh.

Sports business and finance doesn't work that way...if it did, there would be no need for a salary cap or luxury tax.

There are and always will be market inequities and every league has taken measures to rectify that reality...with MLB still being in the stone age somewhat with no cap and just revenue sharing and that's why the Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, etc. make the playoffs essentially every year.

That should have read repeater tax. And OKC and Cleveland are paying tax so that isn’t a question, this ownership group never has. It isn’t a question of “can”, it is a question of “will they”.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

It’s that simple.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a foregone conclusion that the playoff seedings will change. The NBA powers that be will make that happen for Mr. James. Guaranteed.

So the season schedule would have to change, the amount that teams spend on travel would have to change and arena availability would have to change. Not that it won’t happen but there are a lot of adjustments that have to be made first.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure Jack Nicholson, the greatest Laker ever, had some nice words to LeBron during the game
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

It’s that simple.

I think you can discount the "path to ownership" angle in the decision making process. Ownership cannot be part of a player's contract. And it's not as if players who become owners necessarily end their careers, or play at all, with the team they end up owning. See Michael Jordan. Or Derek Jeter.

For some reason, Lebron has always struck me as an East Coast guy. (His home in LA regardless.) And your point about having an easier path to the finals in the East is well-taken.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Magic really is walking a thin line, he is seen talking with Lebron’s agent in the link below, I wonder what they’re discussing

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/11/magic-johnson-meets-with-lebrons-associates-during-cavs-loss-to-lakers/
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
Magic really is walking a thin line, he is seen talking with Lebron’s agent in the link below, I wonder what they’re discussing

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/11/magic-johnson-meets-with-lebrons-associates-during-cavs-loss-to-lakers/

Get that checkbook out, Magic. Big fine incoming.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:

Except he can claim to be talking about KCP who is an upcoming Lakers free agent.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:

He’s KCP’s agent as well.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

Except he can claim to be talking about KCP who is an upcoming Lakers free agent.

Maverick Carter is also seen in the picture talking Magic, if you didn’t know that is Lebron’s business manager.....they definitely aren’t talking about KCP

See a better picture below if you had any doubts

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_amick/status/973031570972991488
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
al242 wrote:

He’s KCP’s agent as well.

Correct. This will not be a problem unless someone specifically heard them talking about LeBron and has proof of that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Magic has to watch the Wire again and learn how to beat that NBA police.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 162, 163, 164 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 163 of 2079
Jump to: