OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

KCP is shooting a very respectable .431/.390/.753 on the season, for a .562 TS %. If you take away the month of December, when he served most of that jail sentence, he's shooting .450 from the floor, and .418 from 3-point range. And unlike Ingram, he's taking a healthy amount of 3's per game (about 5.6).

His defensive intensity can be spotty at times, just like his shot selection, but overall he's been a pretty good contributor for us. Of course he is probably kicking himself for turning down that reported 5 year, $80MM offer from the Pistons, but it will be interesting to see what his market is this summer if he finishes the season strong. He's never had a season close to 40% 3-point shooting before this one, but, then again, last season's 35% mark was his second-best of his career. Having just turned 25, maybe a team would feel like he's a still-improving player with the best yet to come.

I could see a team offering him $10+MM per year for 3 or 4 years, though I don't think he could get offers approaching $15MM annually. A ballpark figure of about $10MM annually feels right to me, but that's just a guess on my part. If we were able to land PG, I wouldn't have interest in bringing him back, but if we don't, he could be a consideration.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

I like KCP. He and Hart, Ball all play good defense and run good fastbreaks. We could keep him at $12-15m if we could not get both LBJ and PG.

Randle
LBJ, Kuzma
Ingram
KCP, Hart
Ball
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
DB's observation of KCP

Quote:
Dancing Barry wrote:

His three point shooting lately has been pretty insane. January he shot .456 from three. February was .451. So far in March it’s at .556.

Maybe its time to think about re-signing this guy?

The FO’s plan is obviously to sign two max players. If we strike out altogether, they’ll probably bring him back and match on Randle and let IT walk. I understand that this would cause a riot in the Lounge, but it’s a much more likely scenario than landing Bron and George. If we can’t land Bron, I would be happy with signing PG, letting IT and KCP walk, and matching on Randle. I know that’s not exactly a sexy summer, but it’s far more likely than landing Bron AND George.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
pio2u wrote:
DB's observation of KCP

Quote:
Dancing Barry wrote:

His three point shooting lately has been pretty insane. January he shot .456 from three. February was .451. So far in March it’s at .556.

Maybe its time to think about re-signing this guy?

The FO’s plan is obviously to sign two max players. If we strike out altogether, they’ll probably bring him back and match on Randle and let IT walk. I understand that this would cause a riot in the Lounge, but it’s a much more likely scenario than landing Bron and George. If we can’t land Bron, I would be happy with signing PG, letting IT and KCP walk, and matching on Randle. I know that’s not exactly a sexy summer, but it’s far more likely than landing Bron AND George.

Your body isn't ready, LM. That's OK. In time, you will see the light.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I’d rather give KCP another big placeholder deal over IT.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Dude is probably making a lot of Piston fans wonder why he wasn’t shooting this way when he was with Detroit.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Without a doubt. I wouldn’t care if our 2 big signings next offseason were KCP and Randle.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I'd be fine with a big one-year deal for either one. If we have to punt to summer 2019, these two allow us to punt in style.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

I like what he’s doing and his shot selection is better. But Hart can do a lot of it at a cheaper price.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Gotta hand it to KCP; the dude is slap out BALLING!!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I came in here to say the exact same thing...!
bertrome
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

Terrific March so far for KCP. 17 points on 52/53/80% shooting.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

KC-3 and D. He's been immense ever since the all-star break.

I really like a Lonzo, KCP, IT and Hart backcourt rotation going forward if KCP and IT aren't asking us to break the bank. If IT and KCP can be kept for approx 10m a year you do it, that is $30m or 30% of the cap for a versatile, skilled backcourt rotation.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

^ I'm in favor of offering KCP the lion's share and let IT take the leftovers
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject:

I've not been a fan of KCP and his hero ball for the better part of this season, but I have to admit that he's been playing very well lately.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

yup he's been playing great! Prison KCP was giving me nightmares for a cool month there haha
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject:

Can't play much better, IMO. He's stroking it and hasn't continued to force it after a couple of failed attempts. Maybe he's finally grasping a sense of his limitations? That always goes a long way.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

KCP is playing with no pressure is on him. Finally getting past his legal issues is literally like a weight being lifted off his shoulders.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

KCP is definitely growing on me. I still like the roster with George replacing him but as a fall back plan if George decides to stay in OKC , who knows. KCP is still young and developing as a player. Can he be consistent with his recent production? Improve on it? Something to consider.

I keep wondering how much this team continues to grow together if they were to keep the majority of the roster together for a couple years. Re-signing Randle? KCP?

Depending on the actual reality of contracts, would both KCP and IT be a better plan then George for the same $30M?
durden-tyler
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

http://bkref.com/tiny/4uKqm

He's playing under control and giving us decent/good defense. I like him, but there's no way he'll be there next year...
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

With the immense improvement of KCP, this team is so deep I don't think I have ever seen anything like it. Given enough minutes to share, the Lakers have eight guys - (Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart, KCP, IT, Lopez, Lonzo) who can average close to 20 point double doubles guys per game, and it's very possible, Zubac could even get there.

Is this better than having the two max sharing the majority of the points? I could argue that it is. Considering just one injury to the superstar players could devastate the whole works. If one or two players are having an off night bring in guys that could help lesson the blow with the deeper rotation option.

Is the one max player scenario becoming the better option? I think so.

Certainly, some big boy decisions have to be made.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

If we sign PG, we no longer need KCP
If we sign LeBron, we no longer need IT

It's about fit, not which player you prefer.

PG is an upgrade on a much improved KCP... if KCP could be signed cheaply maybe you'd sign him instead because of the value vs. production, but seeing as he refused 80 million he probably won't be.

In the case of IT, it's whether you find cover for Lonzo. LeBron can cover for Lonzo so in that situation you no longer need him. He's still valuable as a scorer but he becomes a luxury in that scenario. If you don't sign an LBJ, a Kemba, a Damien, at the absolute minimum Seth... then you must sign IT.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

KCP is hitting his stride right now. This is the guy we have been waiting to see.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If we sign PG, we no longer need KCP
If we sign LeBron, we no longer need IT

It's about fit, not which player you prefer.

PG is an upgrade on a much improved KCP... if KCP could be signed cheaply maybe you'd sign him instead because of the value vs. production, but seeing as he refused 80 million he probably won't be.

In the case of IT, it's whether you find cover for Lonzo. LeBron can cover for Lonzo so in that situation you no longer need him. He's still valuable as a scorer but he becomes a luxury in that scenario. If you don't sign an LBJ, a Kemba, a Damien, at the absolute minimum Seth... then you must sign IT.

If we can get PG we could still re-sign KCP and put out a lineup of:

Ball KCP Ingram PG Randle, it would give us shooters all over the court and we would have a nice young team to grow together

(KCP 16m, Randle 16m, PG max: or around those numbers)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
KCP is definitely growing on me. I still like the roster with George replacing him but as a fall back plan if George decides to stay in OKC , who knows. KCP is still young and developing as a player. Can he be consistent with his recent production? Improve on it? Something to consider.

I keep wondering how much this team continues to grow together if they were to keep the majority of the roster together for a couple years. Re-signing Randle? KCP?

Depending on the actual reality of contracts, would both KCP and IT be a better plan then George for the same $30M?

With about a 3 year age difference KCP fits this core better. I wouldn’t tell George no but would be fine if we invested in KCP instead.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 61 of 182
Jump to: