30 wins for the first time since Kobe!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject:

Proud of our players. They have gone through a long way for this achievement, including a injuries of Ball, Ingram and Hart......
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject:

Wow. I think Vegas and ESPN predicted we win 30 games? no? SOmebody must have made money.
Arbitrary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
Wow. I think Vegas and ESPN predicted we win 30 games? no? SOmebody must have made money.

I think it was 32 wins.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

For the first time in a long time, I expect the Lakers to win any game on any given night. There is no more of the “no chance” type games.

The Lakers are coming and with a few tweaks, they will re-emerge at the top of the league.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

Awesome.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

I've got to give a lot of credit to Luke - this team has had a lot of changes and is way down in 2 through 4 depth without Ingram, Hart, Brewer, Nance, and Clarkson, yet we've found a way to pull IT and Kuz into these spaces to help fill the gaps, pull Wear up from G league to fill a couple more, and we're still playing competitive ball. If anything, we're getting better and better at communicating on defense, and Luke is getting much more vocal when anyone screws up on the defensive end. He's also getting better at spotting the mismatches we have in the middle and going to it hard to press the advantage.

Before summer league, I thought 30 wins was our ceiling. After summer league, I thought I was optimistic saying 35 wins, maybe 38 or so if we're healthy all year. At this stage it's clear we were hit by a lot of injuries, and in spite of that we've still got a decent shot at 40. Big kudos to the Lakers, particularly Randle, continually improving their games, and kudos for Luke for setting the right tone for this team no matter the roster.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

Prior to Kobe's torn Achilles, which was the last time we were a playoff team, our worst L.A. season was 30-52 in 1974-75. That was the low-water mark for almost 40 years until these last abysmal five seasons, including this one. Only ONCE during all those decades did the Lakers miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons (74-75 and 75-76), prior to Kobe's Achilles blowing out.

Happy the team has shown improvement of late, and am hopeful for the upcoming offseason in terms of getting some all-star talent in here. Unless we keep rolling and finish off this season in strong fashion, we will still be a sub-.500 team by the finish, and with lots of important decisions to make this summer (and those decisions face us no matter what our final record is).

The play of late has been very nice to see. But the players and coaches have to keep improving going forward, and the FO has to get it done this summer. Barring an unbelievable miracle, this will be our FIFTH consecutive season out of the playoffs, simply unprecedented in the long and proud L.A. history of this franchise.

Lakers fans have proven to be a loyal and sturdy lot. It's time for ownership/management to do their jobs and reward the loyalty of their fans and ticket buyers.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
ingle wrote:

For the first time in a long time, I am enjoying watching Lakers basketball once again. I enjoyed the Kobe farewell tour for other reasons, but it wasn't due to the basketball that was being played.

Credit to Luke, and the new front office for a great job in the last year.

I like the offensive pace. 21 straight 100s. That's a modern mini-miracle for this franchise. Last team to do more was 35 straight in 1988. That's the final 3 Magic-lead teams, the LakeShow, and the potent 2009 team that haven't done that. Should be mentioned more. Can you remember back to Mike Brown when they were scoring 85 points? That ball was painful to watch. Felt like 90s Knicks without the defense and winning. Remember Duh-Wight? Ugh.
soooo basically this years knicks?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
Prior to Kobe's torn Achilles, which was the last time we were a playoff team, our worst L.A. season was 30-52 in 1974-75. That was the low-water mark for almost 40 years until these last abysmal five seasons, including this one. Only ONCE during all those decades did the Lakers miss the playoffs in consecutive seasons (74-75 and 75-76), prior to Kobe's Achilles blowing out.

Happy the team has shown improvement of late, and am hopeful for the upcoming offseason in terms of getting some all-star talent in here. Unless we keep rolling and finish off this season in strong fashion, we will still be a sub-.500 team by the finish, and with lots of important decisions to make this summer (and those decisions face us no matter what our final record is).

The play of late has been very nice to see. But the players and coaches have to keep improving going forward, and the FO has to get it done this summer. Barring an unbelievable miracle, this will be our FIFTH consecutive season out of the playoffs, simply unprecedented in the long and proud L.A. history of this franchise.

Lakers fans have proven to be a loyal and sturdy lot. It's time for ownership/management to do their jobs and reward the loyalty of their fans and ticket buyers.

CC- the league has changed a lot since then. Mainly, changes to the free agency process and the salary cap have made constructing a roster like we used to a lot harder. The way to win now is to tank to get lotto picks then develop your talent. So we tanked and now we are developing our talent. We could have jump started the process by not giving Kobe that last 2 year deal, but we did and that just prolonged the rebuild period.

Assuming we don't do anything stupid like trading our young guys for win now vets/Lebron we should be in contention for the next 10 years or so. I love our core and I think they will do great things!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Very happy with 30 wins. More importantly, if we only sign our own FAs I think we are a playoff team next season.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject:

Thirty wins are OK, and there remain six high potential chances for getting more:

L: denver, GS, NO, indy, detroit, milwaukee, SA, minn, utah, hou
W: miami, memphis, dallas, sac, utah, LA

Finish 36-46 ? Yeah. Sigh, would feel good in a way and a relief at the same time. It feels like just about what 80%+ of LG predicted for the year. One step at a time. The future feels, ummm, ripe for improvement.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject:

Wilkes52 wrote:
Thirty wins are OK, and there remain six high potential chances for getting more:

Finish 36-46 ? Yeah. Sigh, would feel good in a way and a relief at the same time. It feels like just about what 80%+ of LG predicted for the year. One step at a time. The future feels, ummm, ripe for improvement.

Outside of GS and HOU who should be playing to win for the #1seed... all those other teams, we have a chance (realistic chance) of winning
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Outside of GS and HOU who should be playing to win for the #1seed... all those other teams, we have a chance (realistic chance) of winning
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject:

^

Of course, the chance will exist for any team to win on a given night. I sure don't discount what Denver is trying to obtain, nor what Minnie, Indy, NO, DET and Utah are trying to sustain either. Frankly, I see GS and HOU as the teams most likely to rest vets in rotation at this time of year.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

CC- the league has changed a lot since then. Mainly, changes to the free agency process and the salary cap have made constructing a roster like we used to a lot harder. The way to win now is to tank to get lotto picks then develop your talent. So we tanked and now we are developing our talent. We could have jump started the process by not giving Kobe that last 2 year deal, but we did and that just prolonged the rebuild period.

Assuming we don't do anything stupid like trading our young guys for win now vets/Lebron we should be in contention for the next 10 years or so. I love our core and I think they will do great things!

I agree in general with you, but we really weren't even in the running for prime FAs the past few years basically because the Buss family and FO were in such obvious public chaos. Can't calculate how much that cost us in terms of our appeal (or lack thereof), and how the org was being perceived around the league.

Things seem more settled now so that's good. But the proof will still be in the pudding. These last 5 years have been tough. This Laker fan is looking for results going forward. Having a better season with a still sub-.500 record isn't anything to write home about.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So proud of this team especially since we are without a franchise player and a very solid player

?? What does this mean??
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
So proud of this team especially since we are without a franchise player and a very solid player

?? What does this mean??

It's just IG. Nothing he says makes any sense
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

?? What does this mean??

It's just IG. Nothing he says makes any sense

BI and Hart injured, that's what you meant right?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: