Keeping one of the vets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which of these vets would you like to see return?
Brook Lopez
57%
 57%  [ 37 ]
Isiah Thomas
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
KCP
20%
 20%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 64

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
KCP, love the defense and he is under 30 so he fits the timeline of the team better.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

IT (if we don't get LBJ).

A dynamic scorer is invaluable in late game situations.

Otherwise, BroLo (if he comes cheap). I think he can be very productive in this system, especially as the young'uns get more comfortable.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
When KCP went to jail, there was relatively little effect on the team... when Lonzo got injured, it caused the 9 game losing streak.

Ball played the first two games and the last game in the 9-game winning streak. We were playing badly then and lost with him both in and out of the lineup.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Keeping one of the vets

Gomur wrote:
We know Julius, Paul George, and Bron have deservedly gotten the lion's share of attention. Just curious which of our key veterans you'd like (or wouldn't mind) see return.

1 year deals?
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Lopez
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

Lopez at the room would be nice

IT on a 1 year deal if we don't get 2 max guys

KCP on another 1 year potentially
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Brook is the only one who would likely take a room exception. IT/KCP won't.

YEP. And even then, there's no guarantee that Lopez will.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I'm assuming if we somehow added Bron and PG 13 AND kept Brook there is no way we could keep Randle....obviously if it was possible you would keep Randle AND have those 3, but I'm not sure that's possible...from a $ perspective

I think for that to happen Lopez would need to sign for the vet minimum.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
av3773 wrote:
I'm assuming if we somehow added Bron and PG 13 AND kept Brook there is no way we could keep Randle....obviously if it was possible you would keep Randle AND have those 3, but I'm not sure that's possible...from a $ perspective

room exception
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
activeverb wrote:
av3773 wrote:

room exception

You're probably right though for Lopez I don't think the room is much more than the vet minimum.

I always assume players are going to go for the maximum salary, but we'll see what happens
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
activeverb wrote:
av3773 wrote:

room exception

You're probably right though for Lopez I don't think the room is much more than the vet minimum.

I always assume players are going to go for the maximum salary, but we'll see what happens

It's mid 4m compared to what, 1.7m or something like that? I think the stigma of being a vet's minimum compared to room exception MLE makes it a bit easier to swallow. Then on the other side of the year his bird rights are intact for 2019 and they can re-sign him over the cap.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
activeverb wrote:
av3773 wrote:

room exception

It's mid 4m compared to what, 1.7m or something like that? I think the stigma of being a vet's minimum compared to room exception MLE makes it a bit easier to swallow. Then on the other side of the year his bird rights are intact for 2019 and they can re-sign him over the cap.

I don't believe it works that way. I think we would need to renounce Lopez (and lose his Bird rights) to create space to sign two max free agents. Then we could sign Lopez for the room, but we wouldn't have his Bird rights and couldn't offer him a big contract the following year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
activeverb wrote:
av3773 wrote:

room exception

I don't believe it works that way. I think we would need to renounce Lopez (and lose his Bird rights) to create space to sign two max free agents. Then we could sign Lopez for the room, but we wouldn't have his Bird rights and couldn't offer him a big contract the following year.

It does. Eric Pincus explained the CBA quirks. I can't find it right now but it is a strange loophole in the CBA.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if this is Pincus or from Larry Coon's CBA FAQ:

Quote:
If a team renounces a player (see question number 39), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him. However, if that team then re-signs the player by some other means (for example, with cap room), the team reclaims its Bird rights.

LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Who fits with this group: Lonzo / Hart / PG / BI / F.A. / Randle ?

Kcp - Nope
IT - Maybe if he will accept 3rd guard.
Lopez - Yes
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

As far as who I’d like to see return. I know Brook has had some good games this year, but I think he’d be better off somewhere else. He doesn’t fit into our offense and he is only going to get slower. Really REALLY nice guy though.

IT’s gotta go. He can hit some shots and I do think he’s help us win, but he is just too short to play defense and make a lot of bad judgements calls out there. I’m a fan, just not a fan...ya know?

KCP is the only player I’d consider bringing back. He seems to me to be a guy who isn’t at all interested in things like Free Agent meetings, or speaking to people in general. I think he’d love a long term home where he could conceivably just live in a nice place and be left alone and never have to talk to anybody except for his friends. If he’d accept a long term, short money deal I’d bring him back. 4 years $48m, player opt out after 2, no trade clause. If he wants big money he can go somewhere else though, he’s not worth much more than that.

As far as who do I THINK is coming back, possibly lopez on an exception to back up Randle at the 5, where I think he’ll be playing next season.
evilpimp972
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
When KCP went to jail, there was relatively little effect on the team... when Lonzo got injured, it caused the 9 game losing streak.

Unless we sign LeBron, we must keep IT because he is the only one who can adequately cover for him for prolonged periods (Ingram was decent at point forward)

KCP has definitely done well and is very valuable shooting the 3 at close to 40%

Brook, if he plays like he has the last three games, is also worth signing as he spreads the floor plus he can protect the rim.

But simply because of the importance of a point guard... IT is the most valuable unless we sign LeBron, Kemba, or Seth to replace him.

Not sure why youre saying that when Ball is the PG of the team and I want to see him take the next step and handle the ball more. IT for now looks good, but do we really need him to take away touches from Lonzo next year?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

evilpimp972 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Unless we sign LeBron, we must keep IT because he is the only one who can adequately cover for him for prolonged periods (Ingram was decent at point forward)

KCP has definitely done well and is very valuable shooting the 3 at close to 40%

Brook, if he plays like he has the last three games, is also worth signing as he spreads the floor plus he can protect the rim.

But simply because of the importance of a point guard... IT is the most valuable unless we sign LeBron, Kemba, or Seth to replace him.

Not sure why youre saying that when Ball is the PG of the team and I want to see him take the next step and handle the ball more. IT for now looks good, but do we really need him to take away touches from Lonzo next year?

Lonzo is our main guy... but he's proven to be fragile. IT would be the perfect cover/backup that would play behind him or along side him until he's proven to be durable enough to play 82 games.

Randle was super happy with him last night... I don't know why so many of you are fighting this if he's willing to play that role.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the FO grand slam scenario is having a starting lineup of...
C-Lopez
PF - Bron
SF - BI
SG - PG13
PG - Ball

Sorry, but I don't like it!

Would much rather see:
C - Lopez
PF - Randle
SF - LeBron
SG - Ingram
PG - Ball
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd be fine without any of them, but preference, in order:

Lopez
(Any of these guys would have to take significant pay cuts, and Lopez most of all. What he is weak at - rebounding - is exactly what everybody knew he is weak at. You can work around it with team rebounding. Plus, he blocks shots, so he's not just standing out there. (I do wish he rebounded more, though.) But what he's good at - scoring in the post - he is VERY good at. That's a reliable go-to when you need a basket against half-court defense. But I like Zubac, so if they need to pinch pennies... do what you gotta do.

KCP
(Only as a sub. When I view him as a potential sub, then his inconsistency is not a big deal, and he looks like a major plus. But he probably wouldn't accept bench player money - less than eight figures - considering his demands last summer.)

Thomas
(Not at all, really. Even in his "good" games, he dribbles himself into trouble and illustrates why his lack of height can be a problem on the offensive end, too.)

I want Randle back more than I want any of these guys. Secure him first, and then there's wiggle room to decide about each of the rest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: