OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

It's kind of funny that we tend to look at KCP as this veteran player and hold him to higher standards, but dude just turned 25. He could practically be considered another member of the young core if things don't turn out well with PG this summer. He wasn't a finished product by any means when he signed with us, and his ongoing development is clearly on display right now with the improved play and numbers compared to his Piston years. Trending up, with room still to grow...
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Quietly having his best season as a pro. He's shooting over 45% from three since January. Still takes some ill-advised shots and gets lost on screens at times but he's been good overall.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

I like kcp but he's just too inconsistent in the fourth
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
It's kind of funny that we tend to look at KCP as this veteran player and hold him to higher standards, but dude just turned 25. He could practically be considered another member of the young core if things don't turn out well with PG this summer. He wasn't a finished product by any means when he signed with us, and his ongoing development is clearly on display right now with the improved play and numbers compared to his Piston years. Trending up, with room still to grow...

Piston fans probably don’t regret in him leaving but it’s quite obvious that Pope has outplayed Bradley for most of the season
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If everything falls apart in FA, KCP for < 15 would be OK.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:

Piston fans probably don’t regret in him leaving but it’s quite obvious that Pope has outplayed Bradley for most of the season

I like the YouTube videos of him "the Curry Stopper" Dude has some nice play vs Curry
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

KCP is about to earn himself a respectable new contract. Not likely with the Lakers as the two-max project seems to be carved in stone.

I like players who play good defence. Hence I like KCP a lot and IT despite his offensive aptitude not so much.

Keep Randle, go hard after PG and find a good backup point guard. Let this team grow together and continue to develop. We are already a 0.6–0.7 team. That makes us almost a contender.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I want him back. The last month and a half he is about 15 points, 7 rebounds, 49 % from 3, and tremendous D. Can you imagine two pit bulls on D if KCP and PG played together. We would have the best defensive team in the league.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
I want him back. The last month and a half he is about 15 points, 7 rebounds, 49 % from 3, and tremendous D. Can you imagine two pit bulls on D if KCP and PG played together. We would have the best defensive team in the league.
I hope he is open to the hometown discount because if this team stays somewhat intact we will have a legit playoff contender.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
RI Laker wrote:
I hope he is open to the hometown discount because if this team stays somewhat intact we will have a legit playoff contender.

He's from georgia
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

If the Lakers don't land George I think they should bring him back. If they land George then you have to think PG or Ingram are going to be getting most of the minutes at shooting guard. In that scenario I think you have to let either KCP or IT go even if you don't land Lebron. There just won't be enough minutes to keep both of them happy. I probably prefer KCP in that scenario, because of his defense.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

Keeping KCP over IT is an easy choice
Gepetto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
KCP is about to earn himself a respectable new contract. Not likely with the Lakers as the two-max project seems to be carved in stone.

I like players who play good defence. Hence I like KCP a lot and IT despite his offensive aptitude not so much.

Keep Randle, go hard after PG and find a good backup point guard. Let this team grow together and continue to develop. We are already a 0.6–0.7 team. That makes us almost a contender.

With the current state of cap-space in the league, if the LeBron/PG plan doesn't work out, something around 8-10 mil/year for 3 years is better than KCP can probably get anywhere else. An eminently tradeable contract at any point (barring injury). He could be a positive part of a package for a disgruntled star, or flipped for a non-lottery first round pick (you know, like the ones used on Nance, Kuzma & Hart) down the line. Solid contributor no matter what his fate-and I do not discount the idea one star comes and the rest comes from internal development.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

If we get George but don't get Lebron, I'd throw every cent we have at one year deals for KCP and Lopez, and then re-sign Randle. We don't need another back up PG with this team if we get George. Hart, Randle, Ball, George and Ingram can all bare the ball handling responsibilities if need be.

The problem though is we'd only have $18 million in space to spend on a 1 year deal, which, unless Lopez and KCP are each willing to take sever paycuts, that we'll only be able to re-sign one. With the notion that we want to be players for a max guy in 2019 in that scernario, that KCP would be looking for a long-term deal, that George and KCP are somewhat redundant, and that Lopez, who is not redundant, would likely be willing to take a pay cut in the future, I'd probably go with Lopez on a 1 year, $18 million deal under the assumption that Lopez would take a sever paycut as a 33 year old in 2019.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
If we get George but don't get Lebron, I'd throw every cent we have at one year deals for KCP and Lopez, and then re-sign Randle. We don't need another back up PG with this team if we get George. Hart, Randle, Ball, George and Ingram can all bare the ball handling responsibilities if need be.

The problem though is we'd only have $18 million in space to spend on a 1 year deal, which, unless Lopez and KCP are each willing to take sever paycuts, that we'll only be able to re-sign one. With the notion that we want to be players for a max guy in 2019 in that scernario, that KCP would be looking for a long-term deal, that George and KCP are somewhat redundant, and that Lopez, who is not redundant, would likely be willing to take a pay cut in the future, I'd probably go with Lopez on a 1 year, $18 million deal under the assumption that Lopez would take a sever paycut as a 33 year old in 2019.

Do you think its worth it to stretch Deng to create an additional 11 for Lopez and KCP? At first sight it does seem to be a waste, but if we win more in 2018, might be easier to convince another max FA to complement george?

I'm leaning towards no but I don't think the answer is that clear cut.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Do you think its worth it to stretch Deng to create an additional 11 for Lopez and KCP? At first sight it does seem to be a waste, but if we win more in 2018, might be easier to convince another max FA to complement george?

I'm leaning towards no but I don't think the answer is that clear cut.

No way.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

I think each player will look for money first then situation second and will make the decision based on what they value the most and makes them happy just like everyone else. I don’t think KCP and IT will take paycuts but Lopez might do it.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

CRoost wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I think each player will look for money first then situation second and will make the decision based on what they value the most and makes them happy just like everyone else. I don’t think KCP and IT will take paycuts but Lopez might do it.

Reading this, just makes me think how bad a decision KCP made by turning down the Detroit extension. He accepted a deal for less money with us to play himself to a big contract. Yet, no matter how well he does/did this year, very few teams can pay what he thinks he is worth because of the cap situation.

He should really have fired his agent.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

With how KCP has played in 2018, he could command close to a max deal. Wing player shooting 47% from 3 on high attempts and can guard the other teams best player every night? That's very hard to find.

To put it in perspective, Klay is shooting 43% from 3 over the same time period and I think a higher percentage of his looks are open.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Hmm I really don't think he is warranting a max deal with his current performance. I can see him getting 15-18m offers. What team offers more than that?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
With how KCP has played in 2018, he could command close to a max deal. Wing player shooting 47% from 3 on high attempts and can guard the other teams best player every night? That's very hard to find.

To put it in perspective, Klay is shooting 43% from 3 over the same time period and I think a higher percentage of his looks are open.

No way. He's not getting 25m from any team. KCP is way more inconsistent than Klay on both sides of the ball, ergo a reason why one is maxed out and the other isn't.

I'd say KCP's value is probably 10-12m/year tops.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He'll definitely get more than that. 2-way wing with over 40% three point shooters get good contracts.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

No way. He's not getting 25m from any team. KCP is way more inconsistent than Klay on both sides of the ball, ergo a reason why one is maxed out and the other isn't.

He won't get anything close to a max IMO because he hasn't proven that this is really who he is but I was just meaning that his recent play warrants it. I know they were intentionally overpaying him to sign the one year deal but when all is said and done, I think he has earned that money.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He'll definitely get more than that. 2-way wing with over 40% three point shooters get good contracts.

KCP's play aside, won't his value be largely determined by 2 factors outside of his control. First, the fact that only a handful of teams are projected to have cap room in 2018 and second the amount of big name FAs that are going to be available in 2018 and 2019 offseasons.

Would a team max KCP in 2018 and preclude itself from participating in the max FA sweepstakes in 2019?
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

KCP's play aside, won't his value be largely determined by 2 factors outside of his control. First, the fact that only a handful of teams are projected to have cap room in 2018 and second the amount of big name FAs that are going to be available in 2018/2019.

Would a team max KCP in 2018 and preclude itself from participating in the max FA sweepstakes in 2019?

A lot of teams know they can't participate in the max FA sweepstakes. The small market teams can't woo Paul George or LeBron so they have to throw big money at the 2nd tier players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 62 of 182
Jump to: