The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Vic5150 wrote:
al242 wrote:
Magic really is walking a thin line, he is seen talking with Lebron’s agent in the link below, I wonder what they’re discussing

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/11/magic-johnson-meets-with-lebrons-associates-during-cavs-loss-to-lakers/

He’s KCP’s agent as well.

Correct. This will not be a problem unless someone specifically heard them talking about LeBron and has proof of that.

There was a problem with Magic saying Giannis will bring a championship to Milwaukee, while people like Jerry West can openly praise all the star players on the warriors. The lakers and magic Johnson are held to a different standard with the NBA, it’s complete nonsense
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:
Magic really is walking a thin line, he is seen talking with Lebron’s agent in the link below, I wonder what they’re discussing

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2018/03/11/magic-johnson-meets-with-lebrons-associates-during-cavs-loss-to-lakers/

Except he can claim to be talking about KCP who is an upcoming Lakers free agent.

Maverick Carter is also seen in the picture talking Magic, if you didn’t know that is Lebron’s business manager.....they definitely aren’t talking about KCP

See a better picture below if you had any doubts

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_amick/status/973031570972991488

Is Magic supposed to ignore Maverick when talking to Rich?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

Except he can claim to be talking about KCP who is an upcoming Lakers free agent.

Maverick Carter is also seen in the picture talking Magic, if you didn’t know that is Lebron’s business manager.....they definitely aren’t talking about KCP

No, but it's proven the NBA front office (bleep) will get after Magic for the smallest of gestures.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

Lol I can see I’m going down a logic-less argument with you on this topic, I concede
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

Can you prove they aren't talking about the weather?
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

No, but it's proven the NBA front office (bleep) will get after Magic for the smallest of gestures.

Sure when Magic’s been public about his comments.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:

I doubt anyone has an issue with that.
George W Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject:

After this game, I am very sure that LeBron will leave. Cavs has nothing left to offer. I even feel that LeBron's body language tells that he does not really care anymore.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject:

That should be nothing wrong about it: Rich Paul represents a Laker player heading to FA and he can talk to Maverick Carter as much as he wants; he doesn't represent LeBron when it comes to the NBA.

But, considering how much of an a**hole Adam Silver has been lately, I'd avoid that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
That should be nothing wrong about it: Rich Paul represents a Laker player heading to FA and he can talk to Maverick Carter as much as he wants; he doesn't represent LeBron when it comes to the NBA.

But, considering how much of an a**hole Adam Silver has been lately, I'd avoid that.

This is interesting.

Are you saying the tampering rules only preclude the Lakers from speaking with LeBron or Rich Paul?

So Magic can call LeBron's wife and start recruiting LeBron through her?

Quote:
"Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

Its like people forget that Magic kept tampering so much he had to resign his VP gig less than 2 years ago. He has a history of doing this kind of stuff, and thats why he gets more scrutiny
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Are you saying the tampering rules only preclude the Lakers from speaking with LeBron or Rich Paul?

Quote:
"Article 35A of the NBA Constitution states that it's a violation of the league's anti-tampering rule for any person affiliated with an NBA team to directly or indirectly (i) entice, induce, or persuade, or attempt to entice, induce or persuade, any player, coach, GM or other person under contract to any other NBA team to enter into negotiations for or relating to that person's services or to negotiate or contract for such services, or (ii) otherwise interfere with the employment relationship between that employee and the other NBA team."

Other than being "seen" together, doesn't there have to be evidence of actual enticing/inducing/persuading, etc.?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

Then you should prove he's "enticing, inducing or persuading". If Magic calls LeBron's family, there is no other reason, most likely. Carter, FWIW, is managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer. There's a lot anyone can talk to him about, unlike LeBron's wife.

So, yes, it's different.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

Then you should prove he's "enticing, inducing or persuading". If Magic calls LeBron's family, there is no other reason, most likely. Carter, FWIW, is managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer. There's a lot anyone can talk to him about, unlike LeBron's wife.

So, yes, it's different.

It isn’t and the Lakers are 3 time losers so the league office has little sympathy for them.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

So, yes, it's different.

It isn’t and the Lakers are 3 time losers so the league office has little sympathy for them.

I wouldn't expect you to see the difference.

League office has little sympathy, I agree, hence my comment above.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Lonzo
George
Ingram
LeBron
Randle

would be siiiiiiiiick lol.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

iimarshon wrote:
Lonzo
George
Ingram
LeBron
Randle

Probably the best lineup on the entire league. that defense tho
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
Its like people forget that Magic kept tampering so much he had to resign his VP gig less than 2 years ago. He has a history of doing this kind of stuff, and thats why he gets more scrutiny

That's a pretty lazy perspective to take. Magic's VP title back then was just an honorary thing. It had no functional ramifications within the org itself. The problem was that, though honorary, the VP tag was still listed as an official position. So his comments on Twitter about who the Lakers should sign, which were no different than what we fans do on social media, technically qualified as tampering. Things are different now because his VP of Basketball Ops title isn't just an honorary thing. It's a legit position.

Technically, what he said about Giannis is the only time he's gotten the Lakers fined for tampering, and even when that happened the general consensus was that the fine was unwarranted.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
al242 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
al242 wrote:

Can you prove they aren't talking about the weather?

Magic: "Rich, you know the weather here is SOOOOOO much better than those small east coast cities some of your clients live in. I mean all our players keep mentioning how lucky they are to play in a city with weather like this. If *wink* KCP *wink* is looking for a long term deal, just mention how the weather here is so much better than anywhere else. Did I mention playing for the Lakers practically guarantees you great weather all year round?"

See, no tampering.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

Weather = mood of LBJ. So, "Magic, it's so HOT outside today."

Curious George = Paul George. "Magic, I love watching Curious George on PBS."

And Jules = TRex. "Magic, I wish the TRex never became extinct."

All together, here's the convo b/w Magic, Paul, Carter.

Paul: "Hi Magic, it's HOT outside today in Los Angeles. By the way, did your kids ever watch Curious George? It's amazing! And how about them dinosaurs? I wish the TRex does not become extinct again if they were ever to come back on the Earth. Nice talk Magic. Tell Cookie I said hi."
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
Lonzo
George
Ingram
LeBron
Randle

Probably the best lineup on the entire league. that defense tho

Also an amazing defense.

Lonzo is already the best defensive point guard in the league. George and Randle being capable of shutting down any player. Ingram just needs to add a few pounds and he will be a nightmare for opposing players, and a rejunivated and more rested LeBron that doesn't need to play as many minutes will be solid.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

So, yes, it's different.

Oh, I thought you said that the Lakers could talk to Carter as much as they want because "he doesn't represent LeBron when it comes to the NBA"

Are you now saying they can talk to Carter as much as they want because he's a "managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer."?

But if LeBron's wife was a "managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer" would they be able to talk to her as well?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

So, yes, it's different.

Oh, I thought you said that the Lakers could talk to Carter as much as they want because "he doesn't represent LeBron when it comes to the NBA"

Are you now saying they can talk to Carter as much as they want because he's a "managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer."?

But if LeBron's wife was a "managing partner of a Sports Marketing agency and a Movie Producer" would they be able to talk to her as well?

Is there a reason to talk to LeBron's wife? It's just like Danny Ainge sitting besides Kevin Durant's mother during the NCAA tournament. If there's no good reason for that, other than tampering, than you consider it tampering.

There are reasons to talk to Carter other than recruiting LeBron, especially because he's not his agent. Maybe you are aware Jeannie Buss reportedly met him during the offseason. In that case, one should prove that there was tampering. It's something one can't infer.

I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

This is interesting.

Quote:

So, yes, it's different.

Is there a reason to talk to LeBron's wife? It's just like Danny Ainge sitting besides Kevin Durant's mother during the NCAA tournament. If there's no good reason for that, other than tampering, than you consider it tampering.

There are reasons to talk to Carter other than recruiting LeBron, especially because he's not his agent. Maybe you are aware Jeannie Buss reportedly met him during the offseason. In that case, one should prove that there was tampering. It's something one can't infer.

I don't know how I can be any clearer than that.

I didn't know tampering rules got that specific on who you can talk to and why

business w/ Maverick Carter = ok
saying hello and catching up with LeBron's wife = automatic inference of tampering

So what you're saying is, in that picture of Magic talking to Maverick Carter and Rich Paul, if LeBron's wife was also in that picture, there would be a strong inference of tampering?

And your Danny Ainge example was a violation of another rule, not tampering. Whereas tampering requires "enticing, inducing or persuading", this other rule only requires mere contact to be in violation.

Quote:
The Boston Celtics confirmed Sunday that the team had been fined $30,000 by the NBA for excessive contact with the family of Texas star freshman and likely lottery draft pick Kevin Durant.

General manager Danny Ainge sat next to Durant's mother during the Big 12 tournament. The league said Ainge violated rules demanding that contact be kept to a minimum between team executives and potential NBA draft picks, until college players officially declare for the draft.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:

You certainly have no clue on the difference of a casual meeting and an intentional contact. And yes, there's a difference on what you talk to whom. So, why wasn't Jeannie investigated for, reportedly, meeting three times with Maverick Carter? And that was after Magic's "winking interview".

I know the difference of the Danny Ainge case, especially because Durant was in College (how would he tamper?). But it's the closest example I can give of what would happen if you "called LeBron's wife" in you unreal example. There's no case of tampering of some FO member calling any player's family for catching up. And there's a reason for that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 163, 164, 165 ... 2077, 2078, 2079  Next
Page 164 of 2079
Jump to: