Willingness to match an offer for JR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming a 4 year standard increase deal, no options, how much of a starting offer for JR would you match this July?
The Max, $25 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
$22 Mill
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
$20 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
$18 Mill
26%
 26%  [ 45 ]
$16 Mill
28%
 28%  [ 48 ]
$14 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
$12 Mill
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Would not match any offer
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 167

Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
I've mentioned 18 mill as the key number to keeping Randle and still having space for PG in 2018 and another max in 2019. So I'll go with 18 mill.

4 years, $20 million per structured as 20/18.4/20/21.6 also works.

Oh you, that's interesting information.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject:

I think Julius is actually a better fit for us relatively speaking than PG, in that he brings more skills that we can't replace.

What PG will bring at an elite level (3 point shooting, size at the wing, switchability), is just an extension of what we have but at a higher level. But I'll just say I don't think we'll be #1 in points in the paint next season if we replace Julius with PG.
LawyerShawn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject:

Randle's play style is only working because we have a stretch center in Brook Lopez.

Without Brook in the mix, Randle just doesn't fit today's NBA.

I would be very concerned with spending our cap on him.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject:

LawyerShawn wrote:
Randle's play style is only working because we have a stretch center in Brook Lopez.

That is true, however these days a 7 footer with a jumpshot is easier to find than a bully balling double double machine who is actually a good perimeter defender. Just saying
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
I think Julius is actually a better fit for us relatively speaking than PG, in that he brings more skills that we can't replace.

What PG will bring at an elite level (3 point shooting, size at the wing, switchability), is just an extension of what we have but at a higher level. But I'll just say I don't think we'll be #1 in points in the paint next season if we replace Julius with PG.

I disagree. PG gives us a legit #1 triple-threat option... we need that more than a PF who can barrel into the paint and score.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
ingle wrote:

I disagree. PG gives us a legit #1 triple-threat option... we need that more than a PF who can barrel into the paint and score.

So no Lebron then.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Julius has been putting up 20 ppg on 55% shooting.

At what point do people stop underrating his scoring ability? As well as how efficient it has been. The man just dropped 36 points on 77% from the field.. and been 20 ppg on 61% scoring in games over 30 Min and since ASB been 20 ppg on 59% field goal..

I think one of the most underrated aspects of Randle's game as of late tbh has actually been his offense.

As JC wrote earlier

Randle's numbers as a starter: 18.4 points (57.3% fg, 74.9% ft), 9.1 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.5 blocks in 29.3 minutes over 33 games.

Randle's numbers since the ASB: 20.7 points (59% fg, 73.7% ft), 9.8 rebounds, 4.3 assists, 1 steal, 0.7 blocks in 32.9 minutes over 9 games.

That kind of scoring with that kind of efficiency is VERY uncommon in today's NBA.

If you look at 20 ppg on 55% scoring and are still saying "he's not an efficient scorer till he gets that jump shot." then I don't know what to tell you.

It's not that he'll be unstoppable once he gets a jump shot, he's unstoppable now. The jump shot would just be immediate gravy that would put at close to superstar potential.

Some people think Julius Randle and "Superstar" doesn't fit their immediate definition, but again, 20/10/4 on 55% from the field BEFORE he has a jump shot... what else would you call him if he had the consistent three ya'll want him to? I don't think you could call what that would be much less than a Superstar potential tbh.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

Letting Randle walk over money would be along the same lines of OKC letting Harden go. A colossal mistake.

Like I always say, how many 20,10 & 5 guys that can guard all 5 positions are there in the league? How many of those guys are under 25? And how many of those guys would be available because their current team can be outbid for their services?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Letting Randle walk over money would be along the same lines of OKC letting Harden go. A colossal mistake.

Like I always say, how many 20,10 & 5 guys that can guard all 5 positions are there in the league? How many of those guys are under 25? And how many of those guys would be available because their current team can be outbid for their services?

I think people want him to shoot 3's like Dray Green before they're sold on him.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

I think people want him to shoot 3's like Dray Green before they're sold on him.

No he would still have too short arms
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

That is true, however these days a 7 footer with a jumpshot is easier to find than a bully balling double double machine who is actually a good perimeter defender. Just saying

Randle has the jumper, it has looked good lately.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

No he would still have too short arms

And Green is shooting 29%.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

29%?

It's amazing how people call Draymond a shooter when it's really only been that one career year but he's shot 29-30% since then.

People may remember that one great season Draymond had shooting but it's only been THAT ONE season.
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Randle may have proven me wrong in some aspects but I've always maintained (since he was in college) that the only way Randle would thrive would be playing alongside a center than can both protect the rim and space the floor since he can't do either (which is why I was praying we'd end up with Towns the following year.) Brook is one of the few players in the league that can do that. Remove that type of player and I don't think Randle can flourish in today's NBA.

I'd be very hesitant to pay max money to a PF who can't shoot nor defend the rim consistently.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

Towns
Embiid
Dirk
Brook
Marc

Who else? The real why those bully ball players don't exist is because the 90s are over. Forwards need to be able to shoot. Randle's perimeter defense is VERY valuable but rim protection and pick and roll defense is more valuable at the 4 spot.

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Did you forget Julius played half the season w/o being next to brook? He was still effective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Gomur wrote:
If we're lucky, PG13 signs with the Lakers on Day 1. Same day other teams make their offers for Randle. This gives the "King" a 72-hour decision window. if he's noncommittal at that point, re-sign Randle.

48-hour clock on matching doesn't start until July 6th at noon EST once moratorium is lifted. Lebron will have more than a week to make his decision before we have to make ours on Randle.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

Towns
Embiid
Dirk
Brook
Marc

Who else? The real why those bully ball players don't exist is because the 90s are over. Forwards need to be able to shoot. Randle's perimeter defense is VERY valuable but rim protection and pick and roll defense is more valuable at the 4 spot.

I would argue that the reason they dont exist is not because the 90s are over. But rather, the shooting big was evolved as a counter to bully ball.

Now, having a physical force inside may allow you an advantage against many teams because they cant stop it. Its like in football. For years, it was the wide receiver who dominated the game and so really good corners evolved at the expense of run defense. And so this year, we saw an emergence in the running game for the first time in a while.

I think there is value in having something few others have. If you didnt have shaq, it made sense to space the floor to neutralize him a bit rather than just try to go big. Same here. Everyone is softer now so it makes sense to have a punisher to take advantage.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

We have thomas bryant who can be a stretch 5
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

Towns
Embiid
Dirk
Brook
Marc

I would argue that the reason they dont exist is not because the 90s are over. But rather, the shooting big was evolved as a counter to bully ball.

Now, having a physical force inside may allow you an advantage against many teams because they cant stop it. Its like in football. For years, it was the wide receiver who dominated the game and so really good corners evolved at the expense of run defense. And so this year, we saw an emergence in the running game for the first time in a while.

I think there is value in having something few others have. If you didnt have shaq, it made sense to space the floor to neutralize him a bit rather than just try to go big. Same here. Everyone is softer now so it makes sense to have a punisher to take advantage.

No, the shift was made because teams were starting to realize that spacing is the most crucial element of an efficient offense. What "bully" player was terrorizing the league before the Warriors lit up NBA defenses?

Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

BynumForThree wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
BynumForThree wrote:
ingle wrote:
LawyerShawn wrote:

Towns
Embiid
Dirk
Brook
Marc

No, the shift was made because teams were starting to realize that spacing is the most crucial element of an efficient offense. What "bully" player was terrorizing the league before the Warriors lit up NBA defenses?

Lebron.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

Spacing is certainly important. By making Randle your primary screener though you negate some of that so long as you have other people to space the floor. Now certainly if he doesn't develop a jumper it does mean you have to pair him with a player who can shoot. The Lakers already have two young big men and a vet who can provide that, it just means you have to build the team with that in mind.

He's improved immensely in both setting screens and as a roll man this season. Pairing him with Lopez definitely gives him more room to operate. Stretch bigs are not uncommon these days. The Lakers have Lopez, Frye, Bryant, and Kuzma on their roster alone which can fill that role.

Now certainly him developing his jump shot would help, but I don't think that's something you can bank on. He's been putting in the time but some guys never become good shooters. He's still young, he could turn that around and if he does he's going to be impossible to defend. Even if he doesn't though he's shown he can be very effective.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject:

Randle is so valuable in a fast paced offense. When you have to run back to guard the perimeter that is one thing, but playing against the fastest paced team in the NBA and constantly having to get back to protect the paint against someone who wants to come bully you is exhausting.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Randle is so valuable in a fast paced offense. When you have to run back to guard the perimeter that is one thing, but playing against the fastest paced team in the NBA and constantly having to get back to protect the paint against someone who wants to come bully you is exhausting.

Just imagine it in a 7 game playoff series!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 am    Post subject:

LeBron vs Randle:
47 Poss
70.1% OffMup
10 Pts 4/11 FG 2/6 3PT 0 FTA 7 Ast 2 TO

LeBron vs Everyone else:
20 Poss
29.9% OffMup
14 Pts 5/9 FG 0/2 3PT 4 FTM 0 Ast 0 TO
https://twitter.com/bj_metta/status/973468702476677120?s=19

LBJ and PG13 have both played against JR. I'm certain they believe in him as a yoiung up and coming player. I'd even be willing to bet that they both take slightly less than the max to ensure JR is re-signed. At least that's my hope.

I don't want to ever see JR in another uniform.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: