Can Lakers Land LeBron, Paul George and Keep Budding Star Julius Randle?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject:

again - that's presumptive

Rich Paul has a LOT of irons in a lot of fires - I'm not going to assume he directs LBJ to LA. He might, he might not
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Since Agents make a percentage of what theirs make, they have a vested interest in their players going to the highest bidder.

LeBron can make more endorsement money if he lived in LA and was on the Lakers, plus he is doing/wants to do more tv/movie/entertainment stuff and being in LA will help with that too, meaning taking $2 or $3mil less per season to get PG & Randle signed will be money he can easily make up on the back side...

That’s not really true, Lebron has all the endorsements he wants and a prime time TV show living in Cleveland. This is 2018, everything is connected.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
ericp6387 wrote:
Not sure I like the idea of keeping Randle with LeBron. Don' see it as a great fit. Obviously, if we land LeBron and PG, I'd love to sign and trade Randle, but not sure we can do that cap wise. Go for Lebron, go for PG. If you land both bye bye Julius. If you only land PG or neither, resign Julius. If you only get LeBron, I'd like to sign and trade Julius for a SG.

You, sir, have an intelligent basketball mind. Randle would (offensively) regress tremendously having to share the floor with James ... which could, in turn, hurt his defense, especially after he gets a fat new contract.

Again, I love the dude, but unless he comes on a huge discount, Noel is just a better fit, both financially and from an on court basketball perspective as well.

Replacing Randle with Noel may hurt people’s feelings because their in the process of falling in love with him, but if people suspend their emotions and look at it from a financial standpoint and, like you suggested, from a chemistry standpoint with James and George in tow, Noel is by far the better fit if healthy.

A very valid point.
I love Jules, and I was NOT on his bandwagon before this year, but I'm sold now.
Still, in the unlikely event we do get LBJ/PG, I see LBJ playing mostly 4 and even small ball 5 as he continues to age (the Dray Green role).
That is pretty much the role Jules now plays.
With Kuzma as mostly a 4, and a true center (like Brook/Dedmon/Noel) as a 20 mpg rim protector/starter, Jules may not be an ideal fit in that scenario.
So you keep him by maintaining his cap hold no matter what.
If we get no max's, we definitely want Jules.
If we get just PG, we definitely want Jules.
If we do get LBJ/PG, keep Jules, see how it works. Worse case we have a very valuable trade chip come the trade deadline, when guys like Kawhi, Butler etc may be dangled.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Eric, assuming we get lucky and sign James, George and Randle, what do ou think we do about the center position? What are the chances of Brook Lopez signing for the room exception?

Dewayne Dedmon could be a nice option for one of the exceptions. ~24MPG and a stretch center who's a decent defender, plus he's an LA guy.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Eric, assuming we get lucky and sign James, George and Randle, what do ou think we do about the center position? What are the chances of Brook Lopez signing for the room exception?

Dewayne Dedmon could be a nice option for one of the exceptions. ~24MPG and a stretch center who's a decent defender, plus he's an LA guy.

Which exceptions?
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Which exceptions?

One of the MLE or Room Exceptions, depending on our cap situation from what I understand.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject:

if Lakers are under the cap they have a room exception but no mle
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Which exceptions?

One of the MLE or Room Exceptions, depending on our cap situation from what I understand.

One exception and it is probably going to be the Room Exception since the goal appears to be signing at least one free agent into cap space.
JuliusRandall
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

People that come up with the Noel nonsense just don’t get it.

Julius is a bonafide 80s All Star Power Forward in the mold of Barkley and Malone.

You do not, I repeat, do not let such a great player at 23 walk away. He has the same stats as these guys at the same age.

And Honestly, Lebron and Paul George in their free agent meetings will not want to listen no Noel crap. They will ask about how the offense will work around themselves and Julius.

Would you trade Julius straight up for a power forward not named Anthony Davis?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I like him too. But, I feel like he would want more money than the room exception, which is about 5 million I think. We probably have a better shot at Lopez, who has already made a lot of money in his career, is already familiar with the team and is an L.A. guy. Lopez loves Disneyland. He could go there whenever he wants. Thats a plus. If he goes else where, it would be harder for him to get there during the season.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

JuliusRandall wrote:
People that come up with the Noel nonsense just don’t get it.

Julius is a bonafide 80s All Star Power Forward in the mold of Barkley and Malone.

You do not, I repeat, do not let such a great player at 23 walk away. He has the same stats as these guys at the same age.

And Honestly, Lebron and Paul George in their free agent meetings will not want to listen no Noel crap. They will ask about how the offense will work around themselves and Julius.

Would you trade Julius straight up for a power forward not named Anthony Davis?

I think what has to appeal to Lebron--and George--is that Randle can guard the guy they're supposed to guard. Gives either of them a lot of "free safety" minutes.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:

They also have the veterans minimum exception. so while.. it’s not a big thing it is once ring chasers come knocking at the doorstep after we land 2 max guys.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:

They also have the veterans minimum exception. so while.. it’s not a big thing it is once ring chasers come knocking at the doorstep after we land 2 max guys.

If we land 2 max guys or any for that matter. We could come up empty handed again this summer.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I like him too. But, I feel like he would want more money than the room exception, which is about 5 million I think. We probably have a better shot at Lopez, who has already made a lot of money in his career, is already familiar with the team and is an L.A. guy. Lopez loves Disneyland. He could go there whenever he wants. Thats a plus. If he goes else where, it would be harder for him to get there during the season.

Dedmon has a player option for $6.3 million and he might not have made enough in his career to come back to California and sign for a discount of $4.5 million.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

fontana3d wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
emplay wrote:

If we land 2 max guys or any for that matter. We could come up empty handed again this summer.

If we sign 2 max guys a lot FAs are gonna want to play here and might even be circumstances were they take a paycut to come here.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Dedmon has a player option for $6.3 million and he might not have made enough in his career to come back to California and sign for a discount of $4.5 million.

Yeah, I agree. I think he has to take the best offer, and I think he should be able to command a 3-year deal (at least a 2+1) this time around, and I'm guessing his market is around MLE money. I pegged Lopez's market value as 3 years and $24MM, so I'll guess that Dedmon's is in that same ballpark.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
scoobs wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I think he has to take the best offer, and I think he should be able to command a 3-year deal (at least a 2+1) this time around, and I'm guessing his market is around MLE money. I pegged Lopez's market value as 3 years and $24MM, so I'll guess that Dedmon's is in that same ballpark.

I went and looked at his NBA career earnings.

Dedmon

Code:

Season......Team.....................Lg.......Salary
2014-15....Orlando Magic.............NBA......$816,482
2015-16....Orlando Magic.............NBA......$947,278
2016-17....San Antonio Spurs.........NBA....$2,898,000
Career.....(may be incomplete)..............$4,661,760

Free Agent/Player/Team/Early Termination
Team..................2017-18...........2018-19
Atlanta Hawks........$6,000,000.......$6,300,000
2018-19 is player option.

Even if Dedmon makes the MLE ($8.6 million) next season, he still will have made less in his career than Lopez will make this season ($22.6 million).
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Can anyone verify if these numbers are correct?

1.Randle 12.40 cap hold
2.Ball 7.46
Ingram 5.76
Kuzma 1.69
Hart 1.66
Asik (stretched) 2.72
Minimum roster spot 0.81 X 6

Total salary 36.55 million
Salary cap 101 million
Difference 64.45 million

We end up being 1.15 million short to sign James and George. Does anyone know if two of minimum roster spots of 0.81 million count against our cap if we are going to fill those spots with a player? If thats the case, then that puts us just under the cap at 100.53 million. Which means we could trade Deng and Clevland pick for Asik and this would give us the space that is needed. In this case, Im rounding.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

It's like a threading the needle to pull this off.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
It's like a threading the needle to pull this off.
Yup, but they might be able to do it.
lakid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: This may be controversial but I think our number 1 objective this off-season

is resigning and locking up Julius Randle.
To me it is important because we now have a very clearly identified foundation of Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, and Ball. You have to keep that core together first and foremost. I am not in favor of losing Randle to get Lebron, George, or both of them mainly because even if we add Lebron and George we still can not beat the Warriors.
Lock up this core group we have and in about 3 years we have one of the most dangerous Nucleus in the NBA.
Ideal for me is locking up Randle and going after George, Lebron is not leaving the east, there's no way at this point in his career he is going to make his path to championships harder rather than easier. Keep the core intact, sign George and then go after Klay Thompson next season and you kill 2 birds with 1 stone by strengthening our team while enacting a direct strike into the GSW dynasty.
If we don't strike out on George, I'd lock Randle up and then give short term deals to KCP and Lopez and the playoff run we make next year will make us a much more desirable destination.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: This may be controversial but I think our number 1 objective this off-season

lakid wrote:

Ideal for me is locking up Randle and going after George, Lebron is not leaving the east, there's no way at this point in his career he is going to make his path to championships harder rather than easier. Keep the core intact, sign George and then go after Klay Thompson next season and you kill 2 birds with 1 stone by strengthening our team while enacting a direct strike into the GSW dynasty.

Yup, I've been hoping for this to happen for a while now. And I also agree that Lebron is going to stay away from the sharktank here in the West unless he can make his way onto the ready-made powerhouse in Houston.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Random question: can we sign Brook Lopez to the vet min for a year and still hold onto his bird rights?

I am not saying he agrees to it but is that theoretically possible?

Secondly, what team realistically offers him anything more than the MLE? Every team I can think of has at least 2 competent centers on their roster.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

more realistic is signing him to the room exception for 1 yr - and yes, they retain his rights. Even if they renounce him and sign him for 1 year
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Emplay. I'm just hoping that we can somehow use the room exception to address the backup point guard situation, assuming we are somehow able to attain Lebron and PG13 while keeping Randle.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: