LG March Madness!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Why? Because we already know that OSU isn't good enough to contend for the national championship. OSU couldn't even finish at .500 in its conference. A tournament invitation shouldn't be a participation award. I'd rather see St. Mary's and MTSU, or any of the other little schools that get screwed because they play in little conferences.

This is why a lot of us got worked up when the NCAA tried to expand the tournament a few years back. It would have meant more mediocre big conference teams getting participation awards. I'd rather see more Princetons and George Masons and fewer Oklahomas and Arizona States. The powerhouses should have no problem with the minnows, but you never know. And that's the magic of the NCAA tournament.

as has been pointed out already, being in a little conference means that you need to schedule a tougher OOC schedule to prove yourself. St. Mary's opted not to do that. Middle Tennessee scheduled some OOC challenges, and lost them all.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Let's go PENN! We back in the tourney again.

looks like they might be turning the corner since that whole Sandusky thing

Wrong Penn baby!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
The selection committee apparently weighted the quadrant system very heavily.

was listening to ESPN radio this morning and it was said that they expect next year adjustments to be made to the quadrant system that either reduces or eliminates RPI....not sure what they would use to rank the teams, but I would like it to be some matrix of Kenpom, Sargarin and Massey Ratings.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

was listening to ESPN radio this morning and it was said that they expect next year adjustments to be made to the quadrant system that either reduces or eliminates RPI....not sure what they would use to rank the teams, but I would like it to be some matrix of Kenpom, Sargarin and Massey Ratings.

yeah just get rid of RPI entirely. quadrant system w/ a better rating system instead of RPI seems solid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

yeah just get rid of RPI entirely. quadrant system w/ a better rating system instead of RPI seems solid.

heard a lot of coaches hate on the quadrant system yesterday....but I am a fan....think it gives proper recognition to home, neutral and away games....and is pretty straightforward. I guess there is always the question of whats the real difference between a team rated 29 and a team rated 31....should that be two totally different Quadrants...but it would have to get much more complicated to take those things into consideration.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

heard a lot of coaches hate on the quadrant system yesterday....but I am a fan....think it gives proper recognition to home, neutral and away games....and is pretty straightforward. I guess there is always the question of whats the real difference between a team rated 29 and a team rated 31....should that be two totally different Quadrants...but it would have to get much more complicated to take those things into consideration.

Also interested to see if the Quadrant is based on end of season ratings or ratings at the time of the game. I think that's a big factor.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Also interested to see if the Quadrant is based on end of season ratings or ratings at the time of the game. I think that's a big factor.

any first round matchups catch your eye for a big upset (at least a 4 seed difference)? not asking you to name which games...just do you see any that you're for sure selecting?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

any first round matchups catch your eye for a big upset (at least a 4 seed difference)? not asking you to name which games...just do you see any that you're for sure selecting?

I’m considering:
South Dakota State > Ohio State
Loyola Chicago > Miami
UCLA > Florida

Not sure if I’ll pick all three though

And I have a couple 10>7s I like too but that doesn’t meet your definition of an upset so I won’t mention here
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Why? Because we already know that OSU isn't good enough to contend for the national championship. OSU couldn't even finish at .500 in its conference. A tournament invitation shouldn't be a participation award. I'd rather see St. Mary's and MTSU, or any of the other little schools that get screwed because they play in little conferences.

This is why a lot of us got worked up when the NCAA tried to expand the tournament a few years back. It would have meant more mediocre big conference teams getting participation awards. I'd rather see more Princetons and George Masons and fewer Oklahomas and Arizona States. The powerhouses should have no problem with the minnows, but you never know. And that's the magic of the NCAA tournament.

as has been pointed out already, being in a little conference means that you need to schedule a tougher OOC schedule to prove yourself. St. Mary's opted not to do that. Middle Tennessee scheduled some OOC challenges, and lost them all.

So? That's the logic of the big conferences. It becomes self-proving. You didn't play a schedule like ours, therefore you don't belong in the tournament. The metrics like RPI reinforce this because the little schools can't control their schedule. MTSU can't decide to play in the SEC next year. Oh, it can schedule some SEC teams (it beat two of them this year), but the rest of its schedule is going to be CUSA. The logic of the big programs is that you have to play us, usually at our arena in front of our fans, in order to prove that you're good enough. But if you're too good, well, we already have a full schedule. Sorry.

Even then, MTSU wound up with a higher RPI than a bunch of teams that got at-large bids, including UCLA, Alabama, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Syracuse. So the committee had to find some new excuse to keep them out. This results in a tournament full of mediocre big conference teams.

If that's what you want, great. Just don't take the logic of the big conferences at face value. The big conferences -- and their media partners -- have a motive to sell a narrative that may or may not really make a lot of sense. It's basically a football rationale applied to basketball. Every year, someone like George Mason, Princeton, or Butler shows everyone how hollow it is. This gets spun as an inspiring human interest story.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I’m considering:
Loyola Chicago > Miami
UCLA > Florida

And I have a couple 10>7s I like too but that doesn’t meet your definition of an upset so I won’t mention here

I am hearing people talk about the SF Austin / Texas Tech game....and SF Austin ruined my tournament just a couple years ago when WVU was a #3 seed and they were a #14 seed....I still get a little upset if someone brings up the name Thomas Walkup.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:

I’m considering:
Loyola Chicago > Miami
UCLA > Florida

I am hearing people talk about the SF Austin / Texas Tech game....and SF Austin ruined my tournament just a couple years ago when WVU was a #3 seed and they were a #14 seed....I still get a little upset if someone brings up the name Thomas Walkup.

Loyola-Chicago, for me.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

I have Arizona winning it all this year. Not a fan of Arizona at all. There recent games looked like they were on a mission.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Seeded too low

No. 5 West Virginia. The Mountaineers had 10 wins against the field, including one of just two conquests of No. 1 overall seed Virginia. How many victories did East No. 4 Wichita State earn against the field? Two. Oh, wait, let’s check that again: College of Charleston and South Dakota State. So it’s four. Yes, WVU got a lot of cracks at such victories, but reaching the Big 12 final with a second victory in the past two weeks against East No. 3 Texas Tech underscores the Mountaineers did not get a fair deal.

LINK
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wrong Penn baby!

that's the joke
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wrong Penn baby!

that's the joke

his Penn is where the current President learned his eloquent style and complex vocabulary.

Michael Milken, Steve Wynn, Peter Lynch, Elon Musk, Warren Buffett, Noam Chomsky, etc., etc.....so many great Alumni....but we all know who the most famous alumni is.....hence he is a representation of all alumni.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wrong Penn baby!

that's the joke

Bracket Girls!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

I feel like this is my year!

Am I the only one with San Diego State going to the Sweet 16?

Let's GO!
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

St. Bonaventure is shooting 30% from the field and 18% from 3, and has a 5 point lead on UCLA

I warned LG back in February.....

adkindo wrote:
I watched the #16 U of Rhode Island @ St. Bonaventure game last night....I had been waiting on the game for a couple weeks to watch St. Bonaventure PG Jaylen Adams....and the Bonnies are not on national television that often.

First, the game...it was honestly one of the better games I have watched in the last couple years. Both teams play hard on both sides of the ball, can shoot, score in transition and defend. Both squads have Senior back courts, and upper classman rosters. The entire game the spread seemed like it was 1 or 3 points....with over 20 lead changes....but St. Bonaventure scored the upset with a 77-74 win.
If your a college basketball fan....make a note when your picking your brackets and these two teams pop up....they are both mid major teams that will have the ability to knock off power conference programs. Jaylen Adams had one of the worst shooting nights of his college career, but I noticed two other players that impressed me....Adams back court partner Matt Mobley and Rhode Island guard Jared Terrell.

Jaylen Adams - 6'2" Senior PG (St. Bonaventure) Season Avg.'s 20 Points / 4 Rebounds / 6 Assists
-- as I previously said...he had a terrible shooting game and finished with 12 Points / 2 Rebounds / 8 Assists (2 of 12 FG, 0 of 4 3FG, and 6 of 6 FT). It was obviously an outlier game since coming into the game he was shooting over 50% from 3 on over 6 attempts a game! This guy gives off some smaller DLo vibes to his game. He is an average athlete with average burst/first step....but he needs very little room/time to get off his jumper, looks very comfortable in pick n roll, and is very crafty around the rim. Not a great defender, but plays smart and does not make many dumb mistakes. He has very good court vision from the top of the key, and off the dribble. If he is on the board in the 2nd Round, I think he would be a solid option for the Denver pick.

Matt Mobley - 6'3" Senior CG/SG (St. Bonaventure) Season Avg.'s 19 Points / 5 Rebounds / 3 Assists
-- guy had a huge game, and was the primary reason behind the win....finished with 26 Points / 9 Rebounds / 1 Assists (8 of 17 FG, 5 of 11 3FG, and 5 of 7 FT). Some of his 3's were from the 28-30 feet range, and the nets did not appear to move! He is a little better athlete than his teammate Adams, and is effective in scoring off the dribble and getting to the basket. He appeared decent on defense....or adequate. If Adams gave off vibes of Dlo....Mobley was more Jordan Clarkson. His role on an NBA roster clearly would be that scoring guard off the bench. I am not sure he is an NBA player, but he is worth monitoring....and definitely worth an undrafted FA SL signing.

Jared Terrell - 6'3" Senior SG (Rhode Island) Season Avg.'s 18 Points / 3 Rebounds / 2 Assists
-- he was the best player on the court for Rhode Island...finished with 23 Points / 2 Rebounds / 1 Assists (7 of 18 FG, 5 of 10 3FG, and 4 of 5 FT). Very strong solid frame...good athlete that can shoot (43% from 3 on season) and get to the rim. Takes some tough 2 point shots. He definitely appeared to be more SG than CG....but maybe he simply did not show the skills needed to be a CG in this game. Similar to Mobley, in the NBA his role will very likely be an athletic scoring guard off the bench....and he has the frame and athleticism to be a strong perimeter defender. I can see him being drafted later in the 2nd Round....but I would consider him a SL option if undrafted.

All three guys are worth checking out, but I definitely think Jaylen Adams has NBA level talent and skills, while Matt Mobley and Jared Terrell bring specific skills to the game that will likely give both a chance/look by NBA teams.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't be surprised if UCLA doesn't make it out of the play in game....Lavar Ball has the last laugh.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

And looks like UCLA is out.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
And looks like UCLA is out.

the Gators better not sleep on St. Bonaventure, or they will be joining the Bruins @ home. They are seniors and play smart. They did not even have a good night shooting....one of their worst, but only 6 Turnovers compared to 20 Turnovers for UCLA. St. Bonaventure does not beat themselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Do play in games count, am I too late?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

no...have until an hour before tip off of first game on Thursday morning.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

no...have until an hour before tip off of first game on Thursday morning.

Thanks, I will make sure I get in tomorrow
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I feel like this is my year!

Am I the only one with San Diego State going to the Sweet 16?

Let's GO!

Pretty much my pick for the socal team to make it the farthest in the NCAA this year. UCLA is already out so its between CSU Fullerton and San Diego State, and the Aztecs basketball program is a deeper program.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24
Jump to: