Willingness to match an offer for JR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Assuming a 4 year standard increase deal, no options, how much of a starting offer for JR would you match this July?
The Max, $25 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
$22 Mill
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
$20 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 19 ]
$18 Mill
26%
 26%  [ 45 ]
$16 Mill
28%
 28%  [ 48 ]
$14 Mill
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
$12 Mill
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
Would not match any offer
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 167

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Spacing is certainly important. By making Randle your primary screener though you negate some of that so long as you have other people to space the floor. Now certainly if he doesn't develop a jumper it does mean you have to pair him with a player who can shoot. The Lakers already have two young big men and a vet who can provide that, it just means you have to build the team with that in mind.

He's improved immensely in both setting screens and as a roll man this season. Pairing him with Lopez definitely gives him more room to operate. Stretch bigs are not uncommon these days. The Lakers have Lopez, Frye, Bryant, and Kuzma on their roster alone which can fill that role.

Now certainly him developing his jump shot would help, but I don't think that's something you can bank on. He's been putting in the time but some guys never become good shooters. He's still young, he could turn that around and if he does he's going to be impossible to defend. Even if he doesn't though he's shown he can be very effective.

Stretch bigs like Brook have given Jules the space he needs to operate. He doesn't have 2 bigs at the rim as much as he did when Moz/Hibbert were the centers alongside him.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Spacing is certainly important. By making Randle your primary screener though you negate some of that so long as you have other people to space the floor. Now certainly if he doesn't develop a jumper it does mean you have to pair him with a player who can shoot. The Lakers already have two young big men and a vet who can provide that, it just means you have to build the team with that in mind.

He's improved immensely in both setting screens and as a roll man this season. Pairing him with Lopez definitely gives him more room to operate. Stretch bigs are not uncommon these days. The Lakers have Lopez, Frye, Bryant, and Kuzma on their roster alone which can fill that role.

Now certainly him developing his jump shot would help, but I don't think that's something you can bank on. He's been putting in the time but some guys never become good shooters. He's still young, he could turn that around and if he does he's going to be impossible to defend. Even if he doesn't though he's shown he can be very effective.

Stretch bigs like Brook have given Jules the space he needs to operate. He doesn't have 2 bigs at the rim as much as he did when Moz/Hibbert were the centers alongside him.

This is key for me. I want to hold onto Lopez because he's not only a good vet and has gotten more comfortable in the system, but he makes Randle a better player by opening the inside for him. He helps turn Randle into a PocketShaq.

I definitely want to retain Randle, but I also don't want us to focus on 2 MAX guys so that it frees up money to hold onto Lopez.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

This is key for me. I want to hold onto Lopez because he's not only a good vet and has gotten more comfortable in the system, but he makes Randle a better player by opening the inside for him. He helps turn Randle into a PocketShaq.

I definitely want to retain Randle, but I also don't want us to focus on 2 MAX guys so that it frees up money to hold onto Lopez.

Yes a million times! (bleep) the 2 max plan we need to keep who we got. We can pursue 1 max, not 2. Our team if healthy is capable of competing for homecourt already!

Last edited by Chronicle on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

So then we Sign Arron Gordon and put him next to JR. Problem solved
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

But that's not necessarily true yet. As discussed in the FA thread, there are a multitude of ways to get 2 max, keep Jules, and keep Brook.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Warriors - Pachulia
Cavs - Mozgov
Warriors - Bogut
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Bosh
Mavs - Chandler
Lakers - Bynum and Pau
Celtics - Garnett
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Shaq
Pistons - Ben Wallace
Lakers - Shaq
Bulls - Longley
Rockets - Admiral/Hakeem
Bulls - Cartwright
Pistons - Laimbeer

Moral of the story? To win a championship, you don't need a good 7 footer, but you need someone who is an elite rim protector or someone like Brook who at least creates an obstacle.

The only short center who had success was Ben Wallace and he was an elite shot blocker who averaged as many as 3.5 blocks per game.

The Aaron Gordon idea is intriguing... but it would be uncharted territory.
I think he can spread the floor just like Brook, he would be much better in terms of pace and running the break... but despite his athleticism he doesn't seem to block many shots. Maybe that is because he's not assigned to that job... but it seems risky to try two short centers. Who knows, maybe we'd run every team out of the arena... but I've just never seen it work before.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

I see little reason for ORL to not match any offers to Gordon. Waste of time.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Warriors - Pachulia
Cavs - Mozgov
Warriors - Bogut
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Bosh
Mavs - Chandler
Lakers - Bynum and Pau
Celtics - Garnett
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Shaq
Pistons - Ben Wallace
Lakers - Shaq
Bulls - Longley
Rockets - Admiral/Hakeem
Bulls - Cartwright
Pistons - Laimbeer

Moral of the story? To win a championship, you don't need a good 7 footer, but you need someone who is an elite rim protector or someone like Brook who at least creates an obstacle.

The only short center who had success was Ben Wallace and he was an elite shot blocker who averaged as many as 3.5 blocks per game.

I think he can spread the floor just like Brook, he would be much better in terms of pace and running the break... but despite his athleticism he doesn't seem to block many shots. Maybe that is because he's not assigned to that job... but it seems risky to try two short centers. Who knows, maybe we'd run every team out of the arena... but I've just never seen it work before.

I think you rotate JR and Gordon as a 5 depending on matchups'. At this time I cant think of a center that bested JR except for Embiid.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I wouldn’t disagree but Randle has been just as impressive when Lopez was out. Spacing helps but isn’t necessary.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

I wouldn’t disagree but Randle has been just as impressive when Lopez was out. Spacing helps but isn’t necessary.

Look at the Finals teams the past year. Each had a stretch big in Green/Love. Spacing matters. On offense, I'd argue Jules is more of a "center" than Lopez who's spacing for him. That means the center is out on the 3 point line giving Jules a ton of space to operate.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

True but they did just ship out Payton for a 2nd rounder
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

True but they did just ship out Payton for a 2nd rounder

But they like Gordon and he's probably a foundation piece for their future. If we're not letting Jules go, they're certainly not letting Gordon walk.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Warriors - Pachulia
Cavs - Mozgov
Warriors - Bogut
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Bosh
Mavs - Chandler
Lakers - Bynum and Pau
Celtics - Garnett
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Shaq
Pistons - Ben Wallace
Lakers - Shaq
Bulls - Longley
Rockets - Admiral/Hakeem
Bulls - Cartwright
Pistons - Laimbeer

I think you rotate JR and Gordon as a 5 depending on matchups'. At this time I cant think of a center that bested JR except for Embiid.

It's not a bad idea... it's just that Randle struggles with two tall centers even if they aren't good... and Brook compliments him in that respect. I'd be willing to try it, because I like that type of play but I've just never seen it work. Russell did but that was a different era... and he was an elite shot blocker... maybe the best of all time.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Warriors - Pachulia
Cavs - Mozgov
Warriors - Bogut
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Bosh
Mavs - Chandler
Lakers - Bynum and Pau
Celtics - Garnett
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Shaq
Pistons - Ben Wallace
Lakers - Shaq
Bulls - Longley
Rockets - Admiral/Hakeem
Bulls - Cartwright
Pistons - Laimbeer

Moral of the story? To win a championship, you don't need a good 7 footer, but you need someone who is an elite rim protector or someone like Brook who at least creates an obstacle. .

The style of the NBA has changed significantly in the past decade so I don't think the examples from the 80s, 90s or even the 2000s provide a model for what teams should do today. The pace of the game is faster than it's been in 25 years. The number of three pointers team take has increased by more than 50% over just the pasty 7 years.

The new style is so relatively new, I am not sure you can make sweeping generations about what teams need to win.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Warriors - Pachulia
Cavs - Mozgov
Warriors - Bogut
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Bosh
Mavs - Chandler
Lakers - Bynum and Pau
Celtics - Garnett
Spurs - Duncan
Heat - Shaq
Pistons - Ben Wallace
Lakers - Shaq
Bulls - Longley
Rockets - Admiral/Hakeem
Bulls - Cartwright
Pistons - Laimbeer

Moral of the story? To win a championship, you don't need a good 7 footer, but you need someone who is an elite rim protector or someone like Brook who at least creates an obstacle. .

The style of the NBA has changed significantly in the past decade so I don't think the examples from the 80s, 90s or even the 2000s provide a model for what teams should do today. The pace of the game is faster than it's been in 25 years. The number of three pointers team take has increased by more than 50% over just the pasty 7 years.

The new style is so relatively new, I am not sure you can make sweeping generations about what teams need to win.

If you read my posts I said exactly that. Uncharted territory.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I would be very wary of paying Randle 1/5th of our salary cap. Maybe around 15 million is a gamble worth taking. If we pay him and he doesn't improve he will be hard to move because he can't shoot. It's a tough one.
he can't shoot. Ok.

give me a reason he needs to be able to shoot 3's with his fg%?

WHo is he spacing the floor for? he's not a huge guy so even him in the post is still enough room for others to cut. he aint shaq.

People are so stuck on bigs shooting 3's. that they forget the purpose of them shooting was for to begin with. its to spread the floor. randle doesnt need to do that for others.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:

thats because Randle usually assumes the center spot with Kuzma at the 4 still giving space.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Willing and able.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Off Topic Reminder.....Everyone Welcome.....Be Sure to Complete Your NCAA Tournament Bracket!!

When can I complete my bracket?
--After the field is announced on Selection Sunday (March 11th) @ 3:00 PM (Pacific Time) on TBS.

When does my bracket have to be completed?
-- Edits can be made up to an hour before the fist game tips off on Thursday, March 15th @ 9:00 AM (Pacific Time).

How many brackets can I complete?
-- One

What is the Group link?
-- LINK to Yahoo Tourney Pick'em LakersGround page.

What is the Group password?
-- 8Kobe24

**Note**
When you're setting up your bracket, be sure to unselect the "show personal email" box, and make sure your bracket is listed under a username (prefer your LG ID), and not the name on your birth certificate.

Visit the LG Thread - http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=184446&start=0
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject:

And now the Mavs are out of the running.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject:

$12M why bid against yourself?
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Can Lakers match and then trade?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: