ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
I have no issues with IT's arrogance and pissed off attitude. Reminds me of early afro Kobe. I actually think IT needs that arrogance and anger and its what enables him to play the way he does always with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove doubters not only he belongs but that he's an all-star.

Ok. Now tell a 29 year old afro Kobe that he's a 6th man behind a 20 year Lonzo and will be in that role if he stays with the Lakers. Don't think he'll stay then.

I don't think any rational fan actually expects IT to stay.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
I have no issues with IT's arrogance and pissed off attitude. Reminds me of early afro Kobe. I actually think IT needs that arrogance and anger and its what enables him to play the way he does always with a chip on his shoulder trying to prove doubters not only he belongs but that he's an all-star.

Ok. Now tell a 29 year old afro Kobe that he's a 6th man behind a 20 year Lonzo and will be in that role if he stays with the Lakers. Don't think he'll stay then.

If Lebron doesn't come, IT will be a Laker at least for next season. Can't promise anything after that.

I'm ok with 1 season. But he has to know that Lonzo will always be in his way. That'll eat him up.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Without IT last game, Randle doesn't achieve his career high.

He'd still be effective, but not nearly as much without IT feeding him.

In the postgame Randle called IT amazing 3 times in row. I've never seen Julius call anyone amazing... yet he did it three times for IT.

I think Magic and Rob were appreciating him too on the sidelines. Good thing they are making the decisions.

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

In the postgame Randle called IT amazing 3 times in row. I've never seen Julius call anyone amazing... yet he did it three times for IT.

I think Magic and Rob were appreciating him too on the sidelines. Good thing they are making the decisions.

It's a hedge move.

Clearly they're seeking 2 max FAs.

If not, IT would be an ideal 1 year punt deal. Magic/Pelinka have expanded the 2 max to include 2019 as well. For their troubles they even got a 1st rounder. It's really not that difficult.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It's a hedge move.

If not, IT would be an ideal 1 year punt deal. Magic/Pelinka have expanded the 2 max to include 2019 as well. For their troubles they even got a 1st rounder. It's really not that difficult.

If we can get him for one season... I'll be content with that... IT won't, but I will be. Hopefully he can prove people wrong and get a nice contract.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It's a hedge move.

If we can get him for one season... I'll be content with that... IT won't, but I will be. Hopefully he can prove people wrong and get a nice contract.

Long deal on the Lakers isn't really going to be likely for him if the Lakers are still wedded to 2 max players in 2018 through 2019. Magic/Pelinka have maintained CAPSTINENCE and likely won't flinch until 2019 FA passes.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

If Lebron doesn't come, IT will be a Laker at least for next season. Can't promise anything after that.

I'm ok with 1 season. But he has to know that Lonzo will always be in his way. That'll eat him up.

Lonzo and IT can work well together on the floor, good to have 2 playmakers, similar to CP3 and Harden.

IT will probably be the more dominant ball handler since Lonzo still has to develop a short to midrange shot otherwise he's not a threat inside the key and is too predictable driving to the paint. Defenders know that Lonzo will just pass 90% of the time, while 8% maybe going for a layup, and the other 2% a floater.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Lonzo and IT can work well together on the floor, good to have 2 playmakers, similar to CP3 and Harden.

IT will probably be the more dominant ball handler since Lonzo still has to develop a short to midrange shot otherwise he's not a threat inside the key and is too predictable driving to the paint. Defenders know that Lonzo will just pass 90% of the time, while 8% maybe going for a layup, and the other 2% a floater.

But we all agree about that chip on his shoulder and feelings of being passed over. Sublimating his starting role, all star aspirations, etc. to be Lonzo's backup and a 6th man may be something he's not ready to do yet.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

But we all agree about that chip on his shoulder and feelings of being passed over. Sublimating his starting role, all star aspirations, etc. to be Lonzo's backup and a 6th man may be something he's not ready to do yet.

IT's career looks to be a journey man unfortunately.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It's a hedge move.

Long deal on the Lakers isn't really going to be likely for him if the Lakers are still wedded to 2 max players in 2018 through 2019. Magic/Pelinka have maintained CAPSTINENCE and likely won't flinch until 2019 FA passes.

I get your strategy and it's a reasonable one... As we've discussed I think PG/LBJ is a realistic possibility in which case we don't sign him anyway.

However for 2019, I don't think Kawhi and Klay is very likely, so where you and I differ is that I would sign him three years where you only want to punt. Best case scenario... he balls out, then you can trade him if the small chance one of them decides to leave or just keep him. In the worst case, he can't even play next year in which case you are stuck in Mozdeng land.
Middle case, he plays mediocre and you are stuck with him for two years until you trade his expiring.

I'd sign him for one year, but I don't think he'll do it, so that means we'll lose him.

Obviously if you land KL or Klay it's a superior option in both shooting and defense (though not playmaking) but by far the best scenario.

But if you have a 90% chance of signing IT vs. a 5% chance of signing those guys... I'd go with the bird in the hand because he's a good fit for the team.

You are worried about whether he gets injured in the first year... but I think the odds of him getting hurt are as risky as punting and getting stuck with no one and wasting another year. I think both have their pros and cons.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

I agree about the utility of IT's game. We need a shot creator like him. Totally understand. But the overarching emphasis with our FO is transparently clear. They're not sacrificing "sacred" cap space long term but for max FAs. We can debate it all we want but that's the plan so unless IT is back on a 1 year deal, just don't see it.

until then I'm rooting him on and enjoy what he brings to our team. It's just our cap goals do not align with his contract status, and he probably aspires to start again. Understandable. He only has maybe 1-2 years of his prime left, assuming his hip injury doesn't sideline him again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

They don’t really work together, IT does what he wants with the ball and Lonzo stands in the corner. And that is totally ignoring defensive issues.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

They don’t really work together, IT does what he wants with the ball and Lonzo stands in the corner. And that is totally ignoring defensive issues.

Lonzo was having a deer in the headlights game symbolized by his shot off of the side of the backboard. If Lonzo was hot, IT would've been feeding him as much as Randle. When Lonzo gets cold, he sometimes shrinks from getting open. He needs to learn IT's or Kuzma's fearlessness and keep shooting when he's open. Not force shots, but keep going forward when given the shot.
gaogi
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

It could go wrong... it could not blend with certain personalities... People have already worried about whether he and Kuzma are getting along.
But I think whether you are talking about Rodman... Sheed... Draymond... most championship teams... have that prickly character whose singular talents sometimes make that risk worth taking.

As long as he can produce and elevate talent the way he did the other night... I'm cool with him being a dick to a certain degree.

May be Kuz being political, but he appreciates IT:

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kyle-kuzma-yelled-at-appreciates-isaiah-thomas-leadership-experience/2018/03/13/
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Only way IT will stay is if he chops his ego and salary demand down by about half. So, count me in the rational side of camp.

I'd like it if he would stay as a spark-plug/ PG mentor off the bench - but only at a 3-4 year, $8-10M per year level. And since it's HIGHLY unlikely he'd accept a Honda Accord kind of deal over a Brinks truck deal... well, it was nice having him around, and I hope he does well for himself.

If and when IT goes, I wouldn't mind throwing some money to a Tyreke Evans or a veteran combo guard like that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:

Only way IT will stay is if he chops his ego and salary demand down by about half. So, count me in the rational side of camp.

I'd like it if he would stay as a spark-plug/ PG mentor off the bench - but only at a 3-4 year, $8-10M per year level. And since it's HIGHLY unlikely he'd accept a Honda Accord kind of deal over a Brinks truck deal... well, it was nice having him around, and I hope he does well for himself.

If and when IT goes, I wouldn't mind throwing some money to a Tyreke Evans or a veteran combo guard like that.

Problem is a 8-10m multi year deal eats into the FO's explicit "we want 2 max FA" plan. That's why it's unlikely to happen.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

gaogi wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

It could go wrong... it could not blend with certain personalities... People have already worried about whether he and Kuzma are getting along.
But I think whether you are talking about Rodman... Sheed... Draymond... most championship teams... have that prickly character whose singular talents sometimes make that risk worth taking.

As long as he can produce and elevate talent the way he did the other night... I'm cool with him being a dick to a certain degree.

May be Kuz being political, but he appreciates IT:

https://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kyle-kuzma-yelled-at-appreciates-isaiah-thomas-leadership-experience/2018/03/13/

Thanks for that... good sign for Kuzma. I think a lot of young people aren't used to being yelled at... Obviously Lonzo has been yelled at his whole life by LaVar... if he can survive that experience then I don't think a vet yelling at him will faze him in the slightest. I'm not saying LaVar's not a loving father... I'm just saying that Lonzo wouldn't have difficulty adjusting to that type of personality. I think Ingram coming from a big, extended family in the South would also allow him to deal with many strong personalities.

I'm not saying I want IT to be the team leader... I'm more pointing out that our young players seem like the types who can blend with anyone... whether its LeBron or IT or any vet who comes to play with them.
Hellspawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
I keep hearing how IT's net rating for on/off court is worse even when he is very productive on offense due to terrible defense. Is this accurate? Looking at last year's advanced stats for the C's it looks like he has a healthy positive differential when he is on the court vs. off...

http://stats.nba.com/team/1610612738/onoffcourt-advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Any thoughts on this?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Hellspawn wrote:
Hellspawn wrote:
I keep hearing how IT's net rating for on/off court is worse even when he is very productive on offense due to terrible defense. Is this accurate? Looking at last year's advanced stats for the C's it looks like he has a healthy positive differential when he is on the court vs. off...

http://stats.nba.com/team/1610612738/onoffcourt-advanced/?sort=NET_RATING&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

Any thoughts on this?

People are dumb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

IT!
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

We might need to keep IT if Lebron the flirt is wasting Maginka's time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Nice game
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Love this guy. He's a winner.

Resign him Magic
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

He was our co-MVP tonight. He and Kuz turned the game around for us when our energy was low. What he provided for us tonight isn't really in the box score.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

How good is this guy? And he tries hard on defense, despite his lack of size. Hope he can regain that speed for "us" next season. 😁
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 60 of 102
Jump to: