Is LeBron James the Right Target for the Los Angeles Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Is LeBron James the Right Target for the Los Angeles Lakers?

Hey all,

My latest at Bleacher Report:

Is LeBron James the Right Target for the Los Angeles Lakers?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2764014-is-lebron-james-the-right-target-for-the-los-angeles-lakers

It's more of a think piece - not entirely sure I agree with the argument against LeBron - I'm personally more pro but I voiced some of the cons.

Update:

Latest @hollywood_hoops Ep. 75: Jacob Calling LeBron to Los Angeles, Should the Lakers Pursue King James? w/@JacobEmrani and @JoshMartinNBA
https://www.almightyballer.com/hollywood-hoops-ep-75-jacob-emrani-lebron-james-to-los-angeles-billboards/

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited by emplay on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Yes he is.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

No question, you get LeBron and you also have a lot of vets looking to join by taking a paycut.
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

I’m one whose scared as hell in signing LBJ to a long term deal. Yes it’s great to have him but he’s one major injury away and we will be in the same situation as those final years of Kobe. Either way, I’m excited for the offseason.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Who knows how much LJ has left in the tank? Hes playing too many minutes this year and it will take its toll. I predict 2 more good years.

I think he goes to Houston anyways.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
Who knows how much LJ has left in the tank? Hes playing too many minutes this year and it will take its toll. I predict 2 more good years.

Good years? He’s having one of the best seasons at age 33 and is playing great, I don’t think you realize how good LeBron is.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Yes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Yes. Yes he is.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

PakaLOLO wrote:
I’m one whose scared as hell in signing LBJ to a long term deal. Yes it’s great to have him but he’s one major injury away and we will be in the same situation as those final years of Kobe. Either way, I’m excited for the offseason.

Not at all. Bc we would have Pg13 and our young core. Yes it would stink but nothing like that crap team we had for the KFT and his final years. Kaman? Hibbert? Boozer?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PakaLOLO wrote:

Not at all. Bc we would have Pg13 and our young core. Yes it would stink but nothing like that crap team we had for the KFT and his final years. Kaman? Hibbert? Boozer?

What about that starting lineup
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9iNTl4IgAMcFqP.png
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

No no and no.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

I would rather we bring in KCP and George. With Lonzo and Randle the defense would be sick.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

Good years? He’s having one of the best seasons at age 33 and is playing great, I don’t think you realize how good LeBron is.

Hes 33. How many years did Kobe have left? Yes, I know he had injuries but age takes its toll. I would rather sign PG and resign IT and JR and get Brook to take the mid level. Not enough money for KCP and Hart does some of the same things.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Hell no
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PakaLOLO wrote:

What about that starting lineup
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9iNTl4IgAMcFqP.png

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject:

When is the last time Lebron was injured? Has he ever had a serious injury while in the NBA? I don't think he has. That guy is a bit like Karl Malone in the fact that he has a massive NBA body type. Strong, big boned, thick frame. He can dish out a lot of physical punishment and take it back without a lot of effort. I have a feeling he will go strong until 38 and be solid until he is 40. The only thing is, he might get bored and want to do other stuff. On the other hand, if he is winning rings, he might stick around.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
When is the last time Lebron was injured? Has he ever had a serious injury while in the NBA? I don't think he has. That guy is a bit like Karl Malone in the fact that he has a massive NBA body type. Strong, big boned, thick frame. He can dish out a lot of physical punishment and take it back without a lot of effort. I have a feeling he will go strong until 38 and be solid until he is 40. The only thing is, he might get bored and want to do other stuff. On the other hand, if he is winning rings, he might stick around.

Yeah, I just think he's on another physical plane. Kobe was a warrior, but constantly nicked up in his career, though he played through a lot. But that took more of a toll on his body. Even with that, though, Kobe was still an awesome player at 34...right up until the moment he snapped his Achilles. As we know now, Kobe was never the same after that, because it was essentially a catastrophic injury. Had that never happened, Kobe would've still, in all likelihood, been able to play legit All Star-level ball for at least a couple more seasons, even if he had declined slightly. (And I know he actually did make All-Star teams afterward, but you know what I mean.)

I would offer to you that LeBron is on a much higher level, right now, than Kobe was at 34. Much higher. (LeBron turns 34 in December, just into the early part of next season.) And he won't be coming off a catastrophic inury if we signed him, presumably. If this guy is healthy and we sign him this summer, even with a gradual decline, he's going to be a great player. And with the gravity he brings to the court, and with the support he would have here from our other players and hopefully PG, I deeply believe it's a no-brainer to add him if we can, especially since I believe we will keep Randle if we do so.

I'm so ready for a closing lineup of Lonzo/PG/BI/LeBron/Randle. The athleticism, the length, the ability to switch everything, everyone can handle the ball...yeah, I believe in my sig.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject:

Just check my signature...

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

Too many variables with Lebron. His age, his mileage, his overbearing nature and need to play GM.

If we can keep our core including Randle and Lebron would be happy to play with the young guys, the yes he would be great. But I don't think anyone knows exactly what would happen if he would actually sign here.

I would rather keep all of our guys who are improving every day and add Paul George. If we could get Klay or KL the next season, all the better!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

If you have the opportunity to sign the best player in the NBA (or at least top 5), you go for it. Signing LeBron is a much better option than using that money to bring back KCP and others or waiting on the uncertainty of 2019. That being said, and I wouldn't have thought this a few months ago, this is under the assumption that the Lakers trade Deng and can thus afford a max like PG13, LeBron and Randle. If the Lakers can't find a taker for Deng and have have to stretch him instead (letting Julius go for nothing), there's a good argument to be made that they're better off longterm keeping the much younger Randle and the extra $23 million in cap space.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

At the "Right Price". One that includes the Lakers' ability to sign

- Randle
    - IT

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

81 wrote:
If you have the opportunity to sign the best player in the NBA (or at least top 5), you go for it. Signing LeBron is a much better option than using that money to bring back KCP and others or waiting on the uncertainty of 2019. That being said, and I wouldn't have thought this a few months ago, this is under the assumption that the Lakers trade Deng and can thus afford a max like PG13, LeBron and Randle. If the Lakers can't find a taker for Deng and have have to stretch him instead (letting Julius go for nothing), there's a good argument to be made that they're better off longterm keeping the much younger Randle and the extra $23 million in cap space.

Go for the win now. Playing the pat hand and waiting for the kids to mature seems like a sound strategy - but there's no guarantee that they will ever get over the top.

Many of those who are opposed to getting LBJ are afraid that we will lose Randle. Is losing 10 years of Randle worth getting 2 prime years of LeBron? My answer is yes - even if Randle becomes a 6X All-Star. Even in a "down" season, LeBron is playing at an MVP-caliber level and that is a critical piece to winning championships.

So for me, I go for LeBron because adding him (an another max player) puts us in the Championship conversation.

Could Randle be that other "max" player? IDK - that's a different discussion. Bottom line - if we can get LeBron, then get him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

lakerdynasty5.0 wrote:
At the "Right Price". One that includes the Lakers' ability to sign

- Randle
    - IT

Doubt IT is the reason the Lakers pass on LBJ.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Of course he is - he is arguably the GOAT
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: