Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject:

I would think the Spurs would be more interested in Randle. Seems like the perfect Pop guy. And Chip Engelland teaching him to shoot? Goodnight. They just got another two-way franchise player.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Spurs just fell out of the 8th seed, I gotta a feeling they might get lucky and end up with the first pick 1997 all over again
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Trier at 57? LAL should just buy the pick unless it interrupts their capspace plans.

I doubt he goes that low anyway.

I don't see Trier as an NBA prospect.

Undersized and limited athletically.

I'll just strongly disagree there. If anything I think he's underrated athletically because he has a very "average" wingspan for an NBA PG, but sub-average for an NBA 2/3.

Frankly, I don't understand how a guy that shoots 62% 2pt, 39% 3pt, and basically averages 20ppg, known prospect, doesn't even get a shot at the NBA level.

In all the games I have seen, he struggles to get to the basket in a half court set. He uses strength as an advantage, not quickness or length as an advantage in CBB, which won't work in the NBA.

How many undersized SGs, with below average length and average quickness make it to the NBA? It isn't like he really impacts the game in other areas and he will be defensive liability too.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I would think the Spurs would be more interested in Randle. Seems like the perfect Pop guy. And Chip Engelland teaching him to shoot? Goodnight. They just got another two-way franchise player.

like he taught Murray, Tony Parker, Jonathan Simmons, Kyle Anderson, Rudy Gay down 5% from SAC, Adlridge hasm't even become semi legit as a 3pt shooter...............
Sorry it's just my personal thing against shooting coaches..
But I do think Randle isn't far away from being a decent shooter, he makes jumpers when he doesn't twist his lower body (analytics have been done on that for different players across the league too)
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject:

Didn't he make a couple jumpers last game
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

TrekLife wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Megaton wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Megaton wrote:
I think Dallas will be a bigger problem if they get the 1st pick with Ayton.

Then they can just go all out on Randle and have their big 3 young core of Dennis Smith Jr, Julius Randle and DeAndre Ayton.

LOL.

If Dallas get Ayton, they aren't going to be going after Randle or any FA's. They will build through the draft.

How are they not able to do both?

There is no point to adding 10 wins with Randle and then having no cap-space to add to a true max player.

They are better off losing because they are young.

Pretty sure they would rather have a player as good as Randle over a fringe 10th pick next season.

If they have Ayton at the 5 and Barnes at the 4, do they pay Randle 15 million to back them up?

Barnes would play the 3 and Randle the 4. I don't know how often Barnes is playing the 4 this season, but he's better suited as a 3.

No. Barnes is now and has always been his best self as a 4.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

like he taught Murray, Tony Parker, Jonathan Simmons, Kyle Anderson, Rudy Gay down 5% from SAC, Adlridge hasm't even become semi legit as a 3pt shooter...............
But I do think Randle isn't far away from being a decent shooter, he makes jumpers when he doesn't twist his lower body (analytics have been done on that for different players across the league too)

You beat me to it KIROE. Chip has done well with turning guys like Kawhi and Danny green into shooters(if for only two years) and guys who could already shoot into very good shooters (Mills, belinelli) but there have been just as many if not more cases of failed shooters like the ones you listed above coming out of that system.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

You beat me to it KIROE. Chip has done well with turning guys like Kawhi and Danny green into shooters(if for only two years) and guys who could already shoot into very good shooters (Mills, belinelli) but there have been just as many if not more cases of failed shooters like the ones you listed above coming out of that system.

If they Spurs want Randle, they would have to try and pry him out of our hands. If the Spurs want Randle, you'd bet the Lakers would have something to say about that. At the very least, we would get a sign and trade, and there are some very good possibilities there (think Kawhi). But yes, Julius with a J is like a 80 percent of what Lebron is. Any player who is 80 percent Lebron is a perennial All-Star.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Yeaup.. he doesn't have the longest success sheet, most shooting coaches don't have a high success rate I don't think. Arguably the 2nd most important coach on the team though, hopefully we get a savant
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Yeaup.. he doesn't have the longest success sheet, most shooting coaches don't have a high success rate I don't think. Arguably the 2nd most important coach on the team though, hopefully we get a savant

Why do you think shooting coaches are not successful? My wild guess would be they instruct based on the way they shoot....and each person is different? Really, I have no idea....but how would a shooting coach help someone like Lonzo if he insists on maintaining unorthodox form? How would a coach have any idea how to improve that form?
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Why do you think shooting coaches are not successful? My wild guess would be they instruct based on the way they shoot....and each person is different? Really, I have no idea....but how would a shooting coach help someone like Lonzo if he insists on maintaining unorthodox form? How would a coach have any idea how to improve that form?

I think it's because NBA shooting coaches generally get involved too late in the player's career/development trajectory. To have an immediate and visible effect they have to be coached from the day they're developing their shooting mechanics as kids. By the time a player enters the league the shooting mechanics are by and large set and to make major tweaks would require the player devote hundreds of thousands of reps to rebuilding their shot from scratch. On top of that, for a player to agree to rebuild their shot from scratch takes a specific type of mentality that the vast majority of humans simply don't have.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Trier at 57? LAL should just buy the pick unless it interrupts their capspace plans.

I doubt he goes that low anyway.

I don't see Trier as an NBA prospect.

Undersized and limited athletically.

I'll just strongly disagree there. If anything I think he's underrated athletically because he has a very "average" wingspan for an NBA PG, but sub-average for an NBA 2/3.

Frankly, I don't understand how a guy that shoots 62% 2pt, 39% 3pt, and basically averages 20ppg, known prospect, doesn't even get a shot at the NBA level.

In all the games I have seen, he struggles to get to the basket in a half court set. He uses strength as an advantage, not quickness or length as an advantage in CBB, which won't work in the NBA.

How many undersized SGs, with below average length and average quickness make it to the NBA? It isn't like he really impacts the game in other areas and he will be defensive liability too.

I'm not the biggest fan of his wingspan measurements, but I'd argue that's part of the reason why he'd slip that far.

He's drawing a 43% foul rate too. Unfortunately I don't have a shot chart, but he's hitting a lot from the perimeter and not slashing as much because Ayton is in the middle. Combine that with the anything goes defense and lanes get clogged.

In an average draft, a guard with that kind of requisite athleticism and shooting is a late 1st.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
What's peoples thoughts on Chandler Hutchison?

That was my early favorite for the late 1st. Streaky shooter, straight line driver; euro step, footwork, NBA body with body control into contact. Finishes either hand. Comfortable being primary playmaker for Boise St. with drive/kicks.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I think it's because NBA shooting coaches generally get involved too late in the player's career/development trajectory. To have an immediate and visible effect they have to be coached from the day they're developing their shooting mechanics as kids. By the time a player enters the league the shooting mechanics are by and large set and to make major tweaks would require the player devote hundreds of thousands of reps to rebuilding their shot from scratch. On top of that, for a player to agree to rebuild their shot from scratch takes a specific type of mentality that the vast majority of humans simply don't have.

Yup. Really late to the biomechanics being settled in.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Latest USA Today mock. Has us taking Bates-Diop at 22 (noooooooo!) and has Holiday going one pick later. Lots of guys available after 22 here that have been discussed by us (Simons, Milton, Shamet)...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/03/13/2018-nba-mock-draft-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-headline-loaded-class/417675002/
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

So the draft is deep at the Cavs pick (which I assume will be traded) and Denver's 2nd? I think the 2nd is the more likely one.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

If we keep the pick and Shamet is still available I'd seriously lose it if we passed. Dude has seriously snuck up on me.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
If we keep the pick and Shamet is still available I'd seriously lose it if we passed. Dude has seriously snuck up on me.

Just googled him (have totally passed on NCAA ball this year). Whoa. Um, interesting looking dude.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Just googled him (have totally passed on NCAA ball this year). Whoa. Um, interesting looking dude.

He's another light-skinned assassin.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

Lmfaooo...that nose though
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Anyone know anything regarding Brian Bowen? I know he was a big-time recruit coming out of HAS but the whole Louisville scandal happened and it kind of dropped him off the radar. I believe he committed to the Game Cocks but didn't play. Any chance he bypasses playing a single game and decides to give the draft a chance? Dude has a pretty good jumper and some nice upside.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

plus I assume extreme confidence in the organization to support them through the process
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
Anyone know anything regarding Brian Bowen? I know he was a big-time recruit coming out of HAS but the whole Louisville scandal happened and it kind of dropped him off the radar. I believe he committed to the Game Cocks but didn't play. Any chance he bypasses playing a single game and decides to give the draft a chance? Dude has a pretty good jumper and some nice upside.

I thought he planned on returning to Columbia next season to play college ball....but not sure if I read/heard that, or just assumed.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
What's peoples thoughts on Chandler Hutchison?

That was my early favorite for the late 1st. Streaky shooter, straight line driver; euro step, footwork, NBA body with body control into contact. Finishes either hand. Comfortable being primary playmaker for Boise St. with drive/kicks.

Was? Who or what changed your mind on him?

I was looking at him like a guard version of Kuzma..

No one else in the 20's really captured my attention.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Latest USA Today mock. Has us taking Bates-Diop at 22 (noooooooo!) and has Holiday going one pick later. Lots of guys available after 22 here that have been discussed by us (Simons, Milton, Shamet)...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/03/13/2018-nba-mock-draft-deandre-ayton-luka-doncic-headline-loaded-class/417675002/

Over:

Aaron Holiday
Landry Shamet
Bruce Brown Jr.
Anfernee Simons
Jontay Porter
De'Anthony Melton

Oh hell no.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 58 of 494
Jump to: