Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago
Goto page Previous  1, 2

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?

If a LBJ, PG13, BI, Ball and Kuzma (with a depleted bench because of salary and players dump), will they be the fav - since they do not have a rim protector and low post presence

With LBJ probably on a 1+1 contract, who knows how long he will stay. If FO was having problems with LaVar - imagine dealing with LaVar and LBJ at the same time with expectations of winning a ring now given Lebron’s age and need to win rings before he retires. How the Cavs are playing gives a strong indication of the success with him playing with young players

D12/Pau/Kobe/Nash and Shaq/Black Mamba/Mailman/The Glove teams didn’t win. Building a Team around young players (Magic, Coop, Big Game, AC, Rambo’s and BScott) got multiple rings with the addition of key vets (Cap, Mychal, McAdoo)


Magic looked absolutely giddy watching Jules and It take over in the 2nd half...when they moved Larry it was to give Jules more minutes as much as it was to acquire the extra pick...that told me right there they're going to match and with Wes Matthews going down, no way he opts out of his contract and he's untradable, so I don't think Dallas is going to be able to offer anything we're not prepared to match.

Jules will be a Laker for years to come...and I think it will be PG added...KCP subtracted...IT on a 1 year plus 2nd player option so he can make his money somewhere else...and I'd love to figure out how to keep Brook.

What Magic and Rob have done in just 1 year has almost completely healed the mistakes of jimbo...I also think we stretch Deng so we'll have money to really take our roster to the next level thanks to Zo, BI, Kuz, Hart being on rookie deals.

We're poised to make some noise next year and being championship caliber in 2 years on this trajectory.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


They're both tall, black, and surly...and even though Jules is more mini-Shaq and Dray more facilitator, 3 ball...most people can't see past the melanin it seems.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 8952

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


They're both tall, black, and surly...and even though Jules is more mini-Shaq and Dray more facilitator, 3 ball...most people can't see past the melanin it seems.


A lot of people do see BI's game close to Kirilenko maybe melanin not it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26557

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


That's just because the Warriors are the best team right now, so everyone wants to dream we will become them. If this were the late 90s, people would be saying how our young players are all remarkable similar to the Bulls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 12 Oct 2017
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

calistrtballr wrote:
Just bring George home, and retain the Beast. Have brook back too at mega discount. Next year stretch out deng, sign kawhi/klay and we ready to roll


Easy peasy.... Do it Mitch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Posts: 1867

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


They're both tall, black, and surly...and even though Jules is more mini-Shaq and Dray more facilitator, 3 ball...most people can't see past the melanin it seems.


A lot of people do see BI's game close to Kirilenko maybe melanin not it


The exact same people that think the Punisher is Dray?

And for as swiss army knife as Kirilenko was...he never had BI's handles or ability to drive...and BI doesn't yet have a wife that lets her husband cheat 1 day each year either.
_________________
"This game's in the refrigerator. The door is closed, the lights are out. the eggs are coolin', the butter's gettin' hard and the jello's jigglin'."
- Chick, the One & Only
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 8952

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
governator wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


They're both tall, black, and surly...and even though Jules is more mini-Shaq and Dray more facilitator, 3 ball...most people can't see past the melanin it seems.


A lot of people do see BI's game close to Kirilenko maybe melanin not it


The exact same people that think the Punisher is Dray?

And for as swiss army knife as Kirilenko was...he never had BI's handles or ability to drive...and BI doesn't yet have a wife that lets her husband cheat 1 day each year either.


lol, that's a tall tall tall tall order (she's a model too)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 5512
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
No comparison. Our players are much different than theirs. Maybe the "This is my (bleep)!" season opener vs the Rockets last season was a better comp. Brandon & Julius have emerged into a wonderful front-court tandem. They will give teams issues for years to come. Ball is a smaller Lebron, less scoring but similar concept. Hart & Kuz are players you'd expect to see in a Spurs uniform.


Lebron could get to the cup at will and is a generational athlete. Please stop.


Similar concept I said. Zo's willingness to make his teammates better is most likely a trait he picked up from watching Lebron. Just as much as Lebron's willingness to make his teammates better a trait he picked up from Magic. If you can't see that then I cannot help you.


Similar concept is saying Kendall Marshall is similar to Lonzo Ball. Sure, he's a pass first player, that's where the comparisons stop.


You have to admit very few players have the ability to control the pace of the game and make average players the best versions of themselves. Very few people in history have that ability. Magic, Michael, Lebron come to mind. Nash & Kidd to a lesser extent. And Simmons & Ball are well in their way. Zo's favorite player is Lebron, and I don't know if you can remember back this far, but Zo & Lebron got the same attention coming into the league. Lebron didn't care about scoring in HS, he just wanted his teammates to score and have them attend college on a basketball scholarship. They take the same criticism for not looking for their own shot enough. There are plenty similarities in Zo & Bron's game. Their BBIQ's are off the charts. Zo's hands on defense and ability to make steals, blocks, and reads are remenicent to a younger Lebron. Lebron is a way better passer, but Zo hopefully will be there someday.


Responding to myself, but add chase down block to Zo's repertoire. The one on Gary Harris was very Lebron-like.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26557

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
No comparison. Our players are much different than theirs. Maybe the "This is my (bleep)!" season opener vs the Rockets last season was a better comp. Brandon & Julius have emerged into a wonderful front-court tandem. They will give teams issues for years to come. Ball is a smaller Lebron, less scoring but similar concept. Hart & Kuz are players you'd expect to see in a Spurs uniform.


Lebron could get to the cup at will and is a generational athlete. Please stop.


Similar concept I said. Zo's willingness to make his teammates better is most likely a trait he picked up from watching Lebron. Just as much as Lebron's willingness to make his teammates better a trait he picked up from Magic. If you can't see that then I cannot help you.


Similar concept is saying Kendall Marshall is similar to Lonzo Ball. Sure, he's a pass first player, that's where the comparisons stop.


You have to admit very few players have the ability to control the pace of the game and make average players the best versions of themselves. Very few people in history have that ability. Magic, Michael, Lebron come to mind. Nash & Kidd to a lesser extent. And Simmons & Ball are well in their way. Zo's favorite player is Lebron, and I don't know if you can remember back this far, but Zo & Lebron got the same attention coming into the league. Lebron didn't care about scoring in HS, he just wanted his teammates to score and have them attend college on a basketball scholarship. They take the same criticism for not looking for their own shot enough. There are plenty similarities in Zo & Bron's game. Their BBIQ's are off the charts. Zo's hands on defense and ability to make steals, blocks, and reads are remenicent to a younger Lebron. Lebron is a way better passer, but Zo hopefully will be there someday.


Lebron was a big scorer in high school. As a senior he averaged 32-10-5. He is a passer, but he's always stuffed every column in the stat sheet.

Lebron left high school as one of the most hyped prospects of all time.

Lo really didn't get anywhere near the attention coming into the league as Lebron did, and honestly a lot of Lo's attention was because of his dad's antics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jan 2002
Posts: 6641
Location: Los Angeles/Barcelona

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject:

HAL 9000 wrote:
calistrtballr wrote:
Just bring George home, and retain the Beast. Have brook back too at mega discount. Next year stretch out deng, sign kawhi/klay and we ready to roll


Easy peasy.... Do it Mitch


Do it long and do it hard, Mitchell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
Randle is never gonna get rid of that draymond green lable huh


They're both tall, black, and surly...and even though Jules is more mini-Shaq and Dray more facilitator, 3 ball...most people can't see past the melanin it seems.
Maybe a version of Larry Johnson meeting Sir Charles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?
It's not really a useful comparison. Players careers and development don't follow some standard trajectory. For example, Kuz was better as a rookie than Green was, but that doesn't tell you anything about what Kuz will be like three years from now.

No matter what the Lakers do with free agents, you can find examples of teams in the past that did similar things that both worked out spectacularly and didn't work out at all.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all model with this stuff, because the players are all different.
Original question is comparing the potential of start of the present Warriors’ current team reign to our Lakers' promise. The potential of both rosters appear to be very comparable, how the future turns out could be wildly different or the same.

If the potential and possible future of our young players are very promising with possible superstars already in our midst while in the process of developing chemistry (like the Warriors), maybe staying with the core is the best move.

Curry is now a transformative player, but he wasn’t perceived as that in the beginning.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/04/how-stephen-curry-went-from-overlooked-recruit-to-nba-mvp/?utm_term=.b3500136752a

Anybody think that Klay would be the player he is now
-
Weaknesses: An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defenders ... Recevied a one game suspension due to a marijuana possession charge, but scouts don't seem too concerned about that therefore it hasn't affected his stock much ... Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble"
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/klay-thompson

How many undersized players (Draymond Green)could match his success except in a system designed by Kerr with Splash Brothers
-
Weaknesses: One of those great college basketball players that doesn't excel in any one particular area ... Tweener, undersized for a physical forward yet lacks the athleticism of a wing ... Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter ... Could stand to drop some weight ...

Overall: The Big-Ten Player of the Year, Green has a number of likeable qualities, but not one specific skill that a team may be seeking ... He's a low-risk/low-reward pick considering his role-player potential and ability to fit in ... His ceiling dances around the mid-20s, where a playoff can use him right away to compliment its better players
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/draymond-green

Their chemistry is a big part of their success, as seen by the way they play defense. Given the obvious chemistry seen with our young players, maybe the need is just one superstar (IT, PG13) is needed.

Assuming that LBJ will want a 1+1 contract, how will that be good for the Lakers since they will not win a ring in the first year and might be gone after that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 26557

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?
It's not really a useful comparison. Players careers and development don't follow some standard trajectory. For example, Kuz was better as a rookie than Green was, but that doesn't tell you anything about what Kuz will be like three years from now.

No matter what the Lakers do with free agents, you can find examples of teams in the past that did similar things that both worked out spectacularly and didn't work out at all.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all model with this stuff, because the players are all different.
Original question is comparing the potential of start of the present Warriors’ current team reign to our Lakers' promise. The potential of both rosters appear to be very comparable, how the future turns out could be wildly different or the same.

If the potential and possible future of our young players are very promising with possible superstars already in our midst while in the process of developing chemistry (like the Warriors), maybe staying with the core is the best move.

Curry is now a transformative player, but he wasn’t perceived as that in the beginning.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/04/how-stephen-curry-went-from-overlooked-recruit-to-nba-mvp/?utm_term=.b3500136752a

Anybody think that Klay would be the player he is now
-
Weaknesses: An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defenders ... Recevied a one game suspension due to a marijuana possession charge, but scouts don't seem too concerned about that therefore it hasn't affected his stock much ... Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble"
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/klay-thompson

How many undersized players (Draymond Green)could match his success except in a system designed by Kerr with Splash Brothers
-
Weaknesses: One of those great college basketball players that doesn't excel in any one particular area ... Tweener, undersized for a physical forward yet lacks the athleticism of a wing ... Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter ... Could stand to drop some weight ...

Overall: The Big-Ten Player of the Year, Green has a number of likeable qualities, but not one specific skill that a team may be seeking ... He's a low-risk/low-reward pick considering his role-player potential and ability to fit in ... His ceiling dances around the mid-20s, where a playoff can use him right away to compliment its better players
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/draymond-green

Their chemistry is a big part of their success, as seen by the way they play defense. Given the obvious chemistry seen with our young players, maybe the need is just one superstar (IT, PG13) is needed.

Assuming that LBJ will want a 1+1 contract, how will that be good for the Lakers since they will not win a ring in the first year and might be gone after that



Again, if you think the Lakers should keep their young guys and let them develop, that's fine with me.

If your justification for your opinion is that the Warriors did that and were successful, I can only shrug, because as I said how their players developed says nothing about how our players will develop. The notion that, say, Balll will become an MVP because Curry became an MVP is nothing but magical thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2016
Posts: 2909

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
I'm a big fan of BI but comparing him to Klay right now?

Klay scored 37 points in a quarter, totaling 52 points. He guards the other team's best perimeter player every single night. BI has a long way to go.
and he did that only probably mostly catch and shoot and run outs. what does this mean? it means he didnt create a majority of those points himself. someone else set him up.

BI doesnt have to be setup to score. thats a huge difference in Klay and BI.

Klay is to me the perfect Third guy on a ring team. Because you're not really asking your 3rd star to do a bunch of dribbling or great moves to score. but because his shot is so money. he can put up a lot of points quickly by just getting to his spots and allowing others to create for him.

BI can run point, klay can't. Bi can break a full court press from an elite defensive team. Klay can't. Bi Can score off the dribble in various ways, not so much with klay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Comparison Between Lakers Youth to Warriors’ Players Few Year’s Ago

activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
activeverb wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
How does Ball, Randle, Kuzma and Hart compare to the Warriors’ players when they were younger - Curry, Thompson and Green?
It's not really a useful comparison. Players careers and development don't follow some standard trajectory. For example, Kuz was better as a rookie than Green was, but that doesn't tell you anything about what Kuz will be like three years from now.

No matter what the Lakers do with free agents, you can find examples of teams in the past that did similar things that both worked out spectacularly and didn't work out at all.

There isn't a one-size-fits-all model with this stuff, because the players are all different.
Original question is comparing the potential of start of the present Warriors’ current team reign to our Lakers' promise. The potential of both rosters appear to be very comparable, how the future turns out could be wildly different or the same.

If the potential and possible future of our young players are very promising with possible superstars already in our midst while in the process of developing chemistry (like the Warriors), maybe staying with the core is the best move.

Curry is now a transformative player, but he wasn’t perceived as that in the beginning.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/05/04/how-stephen-curry-went-from-overlooked-recruit-to-nba-mvp/?utm_term=.b3500136752a

Anybody think that Klay would be the player he is now
-
Weaknesses: An average athlete who plays below the rim ... He's a "momentum athlete" in the sense that he shows solid athleticism when he has momentum moving towards the rim ... Much better in the half court than in the open floor. His lack of elite athleticism gets exposed in the transition game ... Lacks great foot speed which inhibits his ability to take the ball off the dribble against quick defenders ... Recevied a one game suspension due to a marijuana possession charge, but scouts don't seem too concerned about that therefore it hasn't affected his stock much ... Long, athletic defenders can give him trouble"
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/klay-thompson

How many undersized players (Draymond Green)could match his success except in a system designed by Kerr with Splash Brothers
-
Weaknesses: One of those great college basketball players that doesn't excel in any one particular area ... Tweener, undersized for a physical forward yet lacks the athleticism of a wing ... Lacks explosiveness, agility, elusiveness and quickness off the bounce ... Under the rim finisher, which is troublesome when you consider his size ... Not a threat to shake his defender off the dribble ... Minimal upside ... Vulnerable defending quicker guards on the perimeter ... Could stand to drop some weight ...

Overall: The Big-Ten Player of the Year, Green has a number of likeable qualities, but not one specific skill that a team may be seeking ... He's a low-risk/low-reward pick considering his role-player potential and ability to fit in ... His ceiling dances around the mid-20s, where a playoff can use him right away to compliment its better players
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/draymond-green

Their chemistry is a big part of their success, as seen by the way they play defense. Given the obvious chemistry seen with our young players, maybe the need is just one superstar (IT, PG13) is needed.

Assuming that LBJ will want a 1+1 contract, how will that be good for the Lakers since they will not win a ring in the first year and might be gone after that
Again, if you think the Lakers should keep their young guys and let them develop, that's fine with me.

If your justification for your opinion is that the Warriors did that and were successful, I can only shrug, because as I said how their players developed says nothing about how our players will develop. The notion that, say, Balll will become an MVP because Curry became an MVP is nothing but magical thinking.
As shared, nobody knows the future

Our young players have shown the talent, drive and chemistry that provides tangible signs that these Lakers deserve the opportunity to be the foundation for multiple rings in the future.

Ball has displayed his IQ

Randle has shown signs that he will be a star

Kuzma already has wowed NBA pundits

BI comparisons to Kwahi are legitimate

Their need is one superstar clutch gunslinger. Maybe IT on a 1+1 contract with PG13 or Lebron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 14919

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I really wish people would stop pretending our guys compare to Steph and Klay. We have good players with lots of potential but that's all at this point.
Agree.
_________________
Music is my medicine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
defense wrote:
I really wish people would stop pretending our guys compare to Steph and Klay. We have good players with lots of potential but that's all at this point.
Agree.
The point of this thread is that our young players have shown the potential, talent, drive and chemistry displayed by this Warriors team when they first arrived

It is stating the very obvious that the present Warriors have players that are better than all the rest - including the Lakers to the Rockets

Hopefully future comments will focus on the potential comparison(s). As we have seen with the TWolves, 76ers, Bucks and other examples - the road to success has many paths and schedule with management/coaching being the strategic factors. In my biased opinion - Luke, Magic and Rob are the right people as noted by their team development (on and off the court)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Posts: 5981
Location: virginia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
No comparison. Our players are much different than theirs. Maybe the "This is my (bleep)!" season opener vs the Rockets last season was a better comp. Brandon & Julius have emerged into a wonderful front-court tandem. They will give teams issues for years to come. Ball is a smaller Lebron, less scoring but similar concept. Hart & Kuz are players you'd expect to see in a Spurs uniform.


Lebron could get to the cup at will and is a generational athlete. Please stop.


Similar concept I said. Zo's willingness to make his teammates better is most likely a trait he picked up from watching Lebron. Just as much as Lebron's willingness to make his teammates better a trait he picked up from Magic. If you can't see that then I cannot help you.


Similar concept is saying Kendall Marshall is similar to Lonzo Ball. Sure, he's a pass first player, that's where the comparisons stop.


You have to admit very few players have the ability to control the pace of the game and make average players the best versions of themselves. Very few people in history have that ability. Magic, Michael, Lebron come to mind. Nash & Kidd to a lesser extent. And Simmons & Ball are well in their way. Zo's favorite player is Lebron, and I don't know if you can remember back this far, but Zo & Lebron got the same attention coming into the league. Lebron didn't care about scoring in HS, he just wanted his teammates to score and have them attend college on a basketball scholarship. They take the same criticism for not looking for their own shot enough. There are plenty similarities in Zo & Bron's game. Their BBIQ's are off the charts. Zo's hands on defense and ability to make steals, blocks, and reads are remenicent to a younger Lebron. Lebron is a way better passer, but Zo hopefully will be there someday.


Who has Jordan and Lebron made people the best versions of themselves??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 10825

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
defense wrote:
I really wish people would stop pretending our guys compare to Steph and Klay. We have good players with lots of potential but that's all at this point.
Agree.

" Don't talk to me bout no Steph and Klay. Wake me up when Steph and Klay become the next LonZo and Brandon " Lavar Voice
_________________
Coach: Luuuuuuuuuuuke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
unleasHell
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 9164
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I hope we only go after 1 max free agent so that we can keep our entire core intact. Our team is very good when healthy. If we get a young star like Paul George then we can compete for a very long time. If we get someone well into their thirties then the window is too short and it comes at the expense of developing the core.


The Randle/Ball/Ingram core with Hart/Kuzma/Bryant/Caruso role-players is a very good young team that can match up with any other team in the league.


Agree 101%

Don't Do It Magic...!
_________________
Lakers Rebirth: 2018-19
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Staccatos
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 16 Jul 2002
Posts: 798

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

No comparison.

You don't get to be splash brothers without the shooting. Curry/Thompson probably the best 2 shooters on the same team of all time.

No sense in drawing any similarities to a young Golden State team when the Lakers don't have anywhere near that type of shooting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
No comparison.

You don't get to be splash brothers without the shooting. Curry/Thompson probably the best 2 shooters on the same team of all time.

No sense in drawing any similarities to a young Golden State team when the Lakers don't have anywhere near that type of shooting.
As you have shared, rarely has there been two great shooters on one team. They should be included as one of the best NBA backcourts of all time
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/guard-50-greatest-backcourts-nba-history-alan-goldsher/

This thread is about comparing talent potential and drive. Klay's greatest talent is defense (ala Michael Cooper) and Curry's is best known for redefining the range of shooting (though opponents can take advantage of him on defense) - but they are known as winners like the others mentioned above in the link.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bishop*
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 01 Nov 2016
Posts: 60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
You don't really need an elite player for a rim protector, just a guy who gets the job done. Don't forget the Warriors had a nearly washed up Andrew Bogut doing the job.

We do need to add shooting to the equation though. That's the big missing piece for our young core.


What we lack in shoot we make up for in paint scoring. Klay is one off the worse finishers at the rim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
OC Lakerfan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 Jul 2008
Posts: 2401

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I'm a big fan of BI but comparing him to Klay right now?

Klay scored 37 points in a quarter, totaling 52 points. He guards the other team's best perimeter player every single night. BI has a long way to go.
and he did that only probably mostly catch and shoot and run outs. what does this mean? it means he didnt create a majority of those points himself. someone else set him up.

BI doesnt have to be setup to score. thats a huge difference in Klay and BI.

Klay is to me the perfect Third guy on a ring team. Because you're not really asking your 3rd star to do a bunch of dribbling or great moves to score. but because his shot is so money. he can put up a lot of points quickly by just getting to his spots and allowing others to create for him.

BI can run point, klay can't. Bi can break a full court press from an elite defensive team. Klay can't. Bi Can score off the dribble in various ways, not so much with klay.


Klay does a few things at an EXCEPTIONAL level. BI has the potential, but he's not exceptional anywhere yet.

Right now you are comparing a Jack of All Trades and Master of None to one of the best shooters and better scorers in recent memory. Also, Klay's motor is ridiculous. It's a fun discussion, I think BI has potential, but a long way to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

OC Lakerfan wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
I'm a big fan of BI but comparing him to Klay right now?

Klay scored 37 points in a quarter, totaling 52 points. He guards the other team's best perimeter player every single night. BI has a long way to go.
and he did that only probably mostly catch and shoot and run outs. what does this mean? it means he didnt create a majority of those points himself. someone else set him up.

BI doesnt have to be setup to score. thats a huge difference in Klay and BI.

Klay is to me the perfect Third guy on a ring team. Because you're not really asking your 3rd star to do a bunch of dribbling or great moves to score. but because his shot is so money. he can put up a lot of points quickly by just getting to his spots and allowing others to create for him.

BI can run point, klay can't. Bi can break a full court press from an elite defensive team. Klay can't. Bi Can score off the dribble in various ways, not so much with klay.
Klay does a few things at an EXCEPTIONAL level. BI has the potential, but he's not exceptional anywhere yet.

Right now you are comparing a Jack of All Trades and Master of None to one of the best shooters and better scorers in recent memory. Also, Klay's motor is ridiculous. It's a fun discussion, I think BI has potential, but a long way to go.
You are correct that it is ridiculous comparing an established star on a championship team to a player many years younger that have not had the time to refine his great potential and physical gifts

It is appropriate to acknowledge that BI has exceptional talents and shown various flashes that he will be a player that will achieve great success

Same can be said of Kuzma, Randle and Hart

Lakers will be in the playoffs next year

In 2-3 years, they will be serious contenders because they have finally bought in that playing great D is the key to winning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB