ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
I want IT back, I love this dude. Don't even care that he's physically incapable of doing anything on defense, this team has taken on his (and Randle's of course) personality and its fantastic.

I can’t agree, him giving back what he takes isn’t a good thing. Even if no 2 max players, we have better options. This team’s identity is built on defense and he doesn’t fit in.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
I want IT back, I love this dude. Don't even care that he's physically incapable of doing anything on defense, this team has taken on his (and Randle's of course) personality and its fantastic.

I can’t agree, him giving back what he takes isn’t a good thing. Even if no 2 max players, we have better options. This team’s identity is built on defense and he doesn’t fit in.
This teams identity is not built on defense. it's built on being able to switch on defense and being able to out run guys because we're super young. we wont be super young forever. so all that out running will soon stop. we will still be an uptempo team. but that is usually reserved for the younger teams with athletic guys that NEED to get out and run because their half court game is suspect due to the lack of basketball IQ and consistency necessary to execute vs good defenses in the half court.

IT fits like a charm with our team off the bench in a 6th man roll. not as a starter. as long as he's down for that role and the pay that comes with it. he's a keeper. he can score to well and he is clutch, especially once he gets back to full strength. that is invaluable come playoff time/finals time.

So if we get the 2 superstars or not he's still very useful in that role.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

I love Lonzo and still have faith in his abilities... but last night shows the importance of IT if Ball gets hurt or is going through a cold streak.

IT can be the perfect player to ease Lonzo through the transition process of becoming a star point guard. He takes a lot of the media attention away, he can penetrate and score when he's playing alongside him... if Lonzo gets injured, he can cover for him. Lonzo could learn a lot by watching him.
He's also fearless which is a good example for all our youngsters.

I am concerned though that maybe IT's emergence is causing Lonzo to press and play nervously again. The game before when reporters were asking about IT, it seemed as though he was uncomfortable answering questions about him.
Maybe it was nothing, but it made me think that for the first time, Lonzo was looking over his shoulder a bit.

Hopefully it was nothing, hopefully Zo gets back on a hot streak tonight... but I really like having an all star quality backup who can carry the team if the young ones are nervous.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

IT brings a lot of the same things that Nick Young, Lou Williams, and Jordan Clarkson have brought in recent years. It's a nice luxury to have but not one you want to have a lot of salary invested in.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
AY2043 wrote:

This teams identity is not built on defense. it's built on being able to switch on defense and being able to out run guys because we're super young. we wont be super young forever. so all that out running will soon stop. we will still be an uptempo team. but that is usually reserved for the younger teams with athletic guys that NEED to get out and run because their half court game is suspect due to the lack of basketball IQ and consistency necessary to execute vs good defenses in the half court.

IT fits like a charm with our team off the bench in a 6th man roll. not as a starter. as long as he's down for that role and the pay that comes with it. he's a keeper. he can score to well and he is clutch, especially once he gets back to full strength. that is invaluable come playoff time/finals time.

So if we get the 2 superstars or not he's still very useful in that role.

Lonzo is 20
Brandon is 20
Randle is 23
Kuzma is 22
Hart is 23

We’re gonna be young for a lil while..
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
I love Lonzo and still have faith in his abilities... but last night shows the importance of IT if Ball gets hurt or is going through a cold streak.

IT can be the perfect player to ease Lonzo through the transition process of becoming a star point guard. He takes a lot of the media attention away, he can penetrate and score when he's playing alongside him... if Lonzo gets injured, he can cover for him. Lonzo could learn a lot by watching him.

I am concerned though that maybe IT's emergence is causing Lonzo to press and play nervously again. The game before when reporters were asking about IT, it seemed as though he was uncomfortable answering questions about him.
Maybe it was nothing, but it made me think that for the first time, Lonzo was looking over his shoulder a bit.

Hopefully it was nothing, hopefully Zo gets back on a hot streak tonight... but I really like having an all star quality backup who can carry the team if the young ones are nervous.

Big reach.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

I want him back too.

Ju
PG
IT
Brook

get a backup PG and SF with the leftovers and call it a summer for me.

We gain chemistry/continuity as well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
IT brings a lot of the same things that Nick Young, Lou Williams, and Jordan Clarkson have brought in recent years. It's a nice luxury to have but not one you want to have a lot of salary invested in.

If those three were elite playmakers who could run the offense when Lonzo was absent.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:

This is what we don't know. He's coming off a top 5 MVP voting season so it's not guaranteed that he'll:

1. take a bench role
2. take a commensurate paycut with said role.

Further, I don't think the Lakers are eschewing their 2 max FA goals for a 6th man, assuming he wants to be that.

I'd just enjoy IT for what he is this season. We have no idea if IT/KCP/Brook are back but they're playing well and I'm thankful we have them.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

If those three were elite playmakers who could run the offense when Lonzo was absent.

Lou and JC did.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Lou and JC did.

Those guys didn't run the offense.

They scored.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Big reach.

It is... complete 100% speculation on my part... but it struck me as odd because Lonzo never looks tense or shook talking about anyone and he looked the slightest bit uncomfortable.

I also saw IT going up to Zo and encouraging him during his two horrible free throw shots last night. I thought of commenting on that too... that it was a good sign that he was comforting Zo... but that also is a big reach.

I watch too much sports. Spent all day upset about Manchester United getting booted from a weaker team from the Champions League... and then our game really cheered me up.

Just giving my impression, nothing more.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Thomas’ ego is huge. Which makes me believe he will want the biggest long term contract from the team that’s willing to give it to him. Which leads me to believe he won’t be here next season.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

Lou and JC did.

Come on Ventura... our last conversation you said any backup point guard would do... but isn't it nice to have an accomplished backup when Lonzo is going through his growing pains? Surely you must see that?

They are good scorers, and JC was improving as a passer... but they are nothing compared to IT in the playmaking department.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Thomas’ ego is huge. Which makes me believe he will want the biggest long term contract from the team that’s willing to give it to him. Which leads me to believe he won’t be here next season.

I think that is a high possibility... but I also think if we gave him a fair market value offer that we'd have the inside track on signing him.

But yes, he might be playing himself out of our budget as we speak.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I think that is a high possibility... but I also think if we gave him a fair market value offer that we'd have the inside track on signing him.

But yes, he might be playing himself out of our budget as we speak.

And that’s fine. He’s been good for us, if he’s willing to stay on a reasonable short term deal then by all means I’d welcome him back.

If not, the Lakers’ future is not centered around 29 year old Isaiah Thomas but instead our 20 year olds.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

Accurate depiction

https://i.redd.it/vuon14x96pl01.jpg
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:

He is at the stage of his career where his next big contract might be his last. It sucks that the hip injury might have robbed him of a ton of money.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Hurt or healthy, Lonzo really needs to develop into a triple threat.

Someone in the game thread said it best: when Lonzo drives to the paint he's always looking to pass that he becomes so predictable to defenses. If he was playing rock-paper-scissor, opponents know he'll always be throwing rock 95% of the time. He needs to switch it up. When IT penetrates, opponents are on their toes not quite sure what he's going to do because IT has a pocket full of rocks, papers, and scissors. That's why he's been more effective as the ball handler when he and Lonzo are on the floor together.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Someone in the game thread said it best: when Lonzo drives to the paint he's always looking to pass that he becomes so predictable to defenses. If he was playing rock-paper-scissor, opponents know he'll always be throwing rock 95% of the time. He needs to switch it up. When IT penetrates, opponents are on their toes not quite sure what he's going to do because IT has a pocket full of rocks, papers, and scissors. That's why he's been more effective as the ball handler when he and Lonzo are on the floor together.

Sure, but maybe the fact that Lonzo is a rookie and IT is a seasoned vet who is 29 comes into play here too.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:

Disagree here. Clarkson's bball IQ was so low that IT is a revelation in comparison. He is not just a gunner, he is a passer and he sees the floor like a legit point guard. Also, even given IT's obvious physical limitations I am not seeing a big drop off in defensive effectiveness. I think this is mainly due to Clarkson's inability to use his tools on the defensive end for what ever reason.

IMO Lou Williams was real black hole on offense. Guy just looked for his own shot and his D was worse than IT's. Lou Williams made us worse.

Nick Young- well he was never really serious and would never put a team on his back like IT does.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Sure, but maybe the fact that Lonzo is a rookie and IT is a seasoned vet who is 29 comes into play here too.

Sure it does. Which is a good learning experience for Lonzo to be watching it first hand from IT, and why he really needs to add more arsenal to his game going forward to be an even better playmaker.

Lonzo mentioned last year that he was unfazed when Kobe asked him if he had a post-up game, saying all he just wants to is be a better point guard. Guess what young rookie? Having post-up moves might actually help you be a better point guard.

Last edited by Lonzo-Lite on Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

They are different players with different ceilings in different facets of the game... My only point is that Zo isn't ready to singlehandedly carry us for a playoff run and IT would be a nice partner with whom to share those duties.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:

I see Isaiah as more of a gunner than an elite playmaker.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Nashlight wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

They are different players with different ceilings in different facets of the game... My only point is that Zo isn't ready to singlehandedly carry us for a playoff run and IT would be a nice partner with whom to share those duties.

Isn't that why the Lakers are likely pursuing LBJ/PG13?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 62, 63, 64 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 63 of 102
Jump to: