OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 930, 931, 932 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

His lack of handles are laughable. When he’s on a fast break it’s hard to watch, he just runs the ball up with the same arm while holding off the defender, usually ends up passing, or blowing a layup. There was a 3 he missed badly when iggy was guarding him after he tried to shake and bake him lol. But I’m certain he’s gonna work on plenty like Ingram did.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject:

Free throw percentage is down to 46%. This is unacceptable. Hack a Lonzo is definitely coming if he doesn't improve over the summer.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
It's basically Lonzo running a 100m spring with a parka, construction boots on, and a 40 pound weighted vest and still clocks in at 10.07 seconds.

Put him on a treadmill on incline 10 in addition to that and he'll be training with Amoila
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
MJST wrote:
If Lonzo could improve his finishing(which will happen through strength training and being able to handle contact as he already has control) and his free throw shooting, he could be a 15-17 ppg player even without his jump shot being consistent as of yet.

No, his strength isn't the issue. Watch him closely when he drives, he releases the ball from below the rim the vast majority of the time. He jumps a little early and jumps forward without much explosion up. His shot is prone to getting swatted on drives. It's a super easy fix imo. I have zero doubt his finishing ability will increase dramatically next season.

Yeah his finishing technique needs to be improved a lot. Footwork and form are big issues. Dude is athletic but can't use that athleticism in the paint because he has bad footwork and technique.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Free throw percentage is down to 46%. This is unacceptable. Hack a Lonzo is definitely coming if he doesn't improve over the summer.

Embarrassing. Kid has alot of work to do on the offensive end. Otherwise, he'll be more of a Rondo than a JKidd.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

46% for free throws is unacceptable.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Year 1 is important for these kids to measure their game against the pros.

If he's not improving in years 2-3, then of course we have a problem. I think he got away with a lot of things that are now exposed at the NBA level. How he adjusts will determine a lot of things.
Fansince79
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

This.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Didn’t Magic say if his shooting doesn’t improve by the end of the season changes will be made to Lonzo’s shot?

I’d say 44%TS and 46% from the line definitely warrants a change of mechanics.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Didn’t Magic say if his shooting doesn’t improve by the end of the season changes will be made to Lonzo’s shot?

After the cautionary tale of Markelle Fultz I doubt they touch him on the release.
jg77
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject:

They really need to bring Kevin Martin in to work with his shot. I read an entire article about him talking about Lonzo's shot and he made some solid points. Might as well get someone with a similar shot who made it successful to work with him.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

jg77 wrote:
They really need to bring Kevin Martin in to work with his shot. I read an entire article about him talking about Lonzo's shot and he made some solid points. Might as well get someone with a similar shot who made it successful to work with him.

As far as the free throws, I wonder if he'd be more comfortable taking a few steps back a'la NVG.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

After the cautionary tale of Markelle Fultz I doubt they touch him on the release.

Did you see the video of him and Thomas shooting 3s in practice? He can’t even hit half of his attempts in shoot around. He will never be a consistent shooter with that form.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Did you see the video of him and Thomas shooting 3s in practice? He can’t even hit half of his attempts in shoot around. He will never be a consistent shooter with that form.

Yeah. Something's gotta give. Your PG in crunch time can't be afraid to go to the line. His shooting form is so inconsistent.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I heard about it, but have no way of knowing if that's indicative of most of his shoot-arounds. His FT issues to me seem more related to his timing and his knees (fully locked well before the release) than the stroke.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Ouch.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
danzag wrote:

Ouch.

Aside from the funky technique, I think a lot of it is mental. The media is getting to Lonzo's confidence. I get that his technique might make him too slow to get his shot off against nba level defenses, but that doesn't explain his lousy ft % with no one guarding him. He is letting the media get into his head.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Wasn't the problem with Fultz that the injury forced him to shoot in a different manner? I don't think its because Fultz tried to change his shot rather the fact that he sustained an injury which makes it impossible for him to shoot the way he used to.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
BizLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Wasn't the problem with Fultz that the injury forced him to shoot in a different manner? I don't think its because Fultz tried to change his shot rather the fact that he sustained an injury which makes it impossible for him to shoot the way he used to.

The prevailing theory is that he changed it before the injury with his personal trainer. It may have even caused the injury.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/what-has-really-been-going-markelle-fultz-shoulder-injury-broken-jump-shot/

The degree of the injury is even suspect.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
BizLA wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
BizLA wrote:

The prevailing theory is that he changed it before the injury with his personal trainer. It may have even caused the injury.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/what-has-really-been-going-markelle-fultz-shoulder-injury-broken-jump-shot/

The degree of the injury is even suspect.

Interesting, thanks!
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

first of all shooting eight (8) 3 point shots is way too much for Zo in a game ...
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Yet Zo is currently #1 among PG's playing more than 25 min a game in DRPM
Top rookie for SF is Tatum at #15 in ORPM
Top rookie for SG is Mitchell at #16 in ORPM
So like, congrats to the latter two for having a better Free throw stroke than Zo, they both get gold stars.
But does either of them lead THE ENTIRE LEAGUE as a rookie at their position offensively OR defensively ???
Absolutely not.
lordtrapula
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Did anyone notice Zo pushing Randle to his man?

Amazing on-court awareness
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

He needs to get to the rim a few more times a game and draw some fouls. Sure, his FT% sucks right now but he must work on that instead of only relying on 3's.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

55 wrote:
He needs to get to the rim a few more times a game and draw some fouls. Sure, his FT% sucks right now but he must work on that instead of only relying on 3's.

This is the part of his game that has disappointed me the most.

He doesn’t attack. Because of that it makes it harder for the rest of the team to score especially in the halfcourt.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 930, 931, 932 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 931 of 1688
Jump to: