Ray Allen: Rajon Rondo told Celtics he carried them to 2008 championship

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Ray Allen: Rajon Rondo told Celtics he carried them to 2008 championship

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/12/ray-allen-rajon-rondo-told-celtics-he-carried-them-to-2008-championship/

Quote:
Ray Allen: Rajon Rondo told Celtics he carried them to 2008 championship

Ray Allen fell out of favor with the Celtics when he signed with the Heat in 2012. His relationship with Rajon Rondo, poor already, became especially dismal.

Allen said the issue stems from him trying to have Rondo stop a trade of the pair to the Suns in 2009.

Sean Deveney of Sporting News:

It came up again during the 2010-11 season. In a team meeting, Allen writes, Rondo told his teammates, “I carried all of you to the championship in 2008.”

Allen continued: “The rest of the team, almost in unison, responded, ‘You what?’” Rondo said everyone on the team had problems with him, and when Allen told him, “None of us had issues with you,” Rondo said to him, “You did, too. You told me I was the reason we were going to be traded.”

Allen describes Rondo as a player who expected that he would be treated as a leader without having done the work to deserve the role, and describes the Celtics as an organization that could not figure out how to handle Rondo. Coach Doc Rivers asked Garnett and Allen to “let [Rondo] into the circle,” but Allen told Rivers, “We can’t make him a leader, Doc. He has to earn it.”

Allen details the famed incident during the Celtics’ playoff series against Miami in 2011, when Rivers was going over film with the team and pointing out some of the errors made during their losses in the first two games. Rondo “put his head down and turned his chair toward the lockers.” Rivers implored him to watch the film.

“F— that film,” Rondo said, according to Allen, hurling a water bottle at the screen and breaking it. Rivers ordered Rondo out. Garnett followed him and said, “Young fella, you need to get your s— together.”

Keep in mind: This is Allen’s perspective, detailed in a new book. Rondo might describe things differently.

Though even Rondo admits he can be difficult.

Rondo didn’t receive enough credit at the time for Boston’s 2008 title. So much of the praise was heaped on stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Allen. Rondo, just a second-year player, was also very good and hadn’t yet been recognized for his production.

But that’s not close to saying he carried the Celtics to the championship. He was still their fourth-best player.

And telling his Boston teammates he carried them would be a whole other level. Allen revealing this will probably take his feud with Rondo up a notch, too.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I’ve never liked Ray Allen.

He’s been running his mouth a lot lately defending his decision to leave Boston for Miami.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Which is silly because it was a great decision.

Well the Spurs might disagree
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm inclined to believe Allen on this. Between the two of them, Rondo definitely seems like the arrogant prick type.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject:

Eff them both. And eff Doc and all the Celtics and their fans too.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Eff them both. And eff Doc and all the Celtics and their fans too.

Well (bleep) said.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Does anybody ever talk about the 2011 one time champ Dallas Mavs? Man, these guys get talked about all the time for one stinking title.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Does anybody ever talk about the 2011 one time champ Dallas Mavs? Man, these guys get talked about all the time for one stinking title.

Yeah, it's pretty unimpressive that the then-greatest shooter of all time, a top 10 all-time Small Forward, and a top 5 All-Time PF were only able to win one title.

Though if Garnett hadn't injured his knee in 2009 (he was never the same), then they may have three-peated.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject:

If both decide to beat each other to a pulp, I would be supportive.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Mavs had a good postseason run but I don't think they really did anything memorable the regular season to make themselves stand out.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

Ray Allen shot something like 8% from 3 for the first 3 rounds of those playoffs.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/rajon-rondo-on-ray-allens-book-he-just-wants-attention/

Quote:
Rajon Rondo on Ray Allen’s book: ‘He just wants attention’

Ray Allen wrote a book that spills a lot of dirt on Rajon Rondo – how Rondo told Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Allen and other Celtics he carried them to the 2008 title, how Rondo clashed with Doc Rivers.

Rondo, via Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe:

“He just wants attention,” Rondo said. “I need actually some sales from [the book], only [publicity] it’s been getting is from my name. I need some percentage or something.”

“Obviously, that man is hurting,” Rondo said of Allen. “I don’t know if it’s financially, I don’t know if it’s mentally. He wants to stay relevant. I am who I am. I don’t try to be something I’m not. I can’t say the same for him. He’s looking for attention. I’m a better human being than that. I take accountability for my actions. Certain [stuff] happens in my life, I man up. But he has a whole other agenda.”

“He’s been retired for whatever years, and now he comes out with a book,” Rondo said of Allen. “People do that in that situation they need money. He should have hit me up and asked me for a loan or something. It’s no hard feelings.”

Obviously, Allen wants attention. He’s promoting a book.

But that doesn’t make the stories in the book inaccurate.

Allen and Rondo, now with the Pelicans, have feuded for a while. Neither is completely reliable about the other. Both are too colored by their dislike for each other.

I doubt Rondo knows about Allen’s financial situation. Rondo is just trying to dig at Allen, like Allen dug at Rondo in the book. Famous people write books for many reasons. Financial gain isn’t necessarily Allen’s primary motivation. Allen has a lot of time in retirement.

I’d rather hear Rondo address the book’s claims. He’s extremely forthright, even admitting he’s difficult to coach. He might corroborate the stories involving himself and Rivers. Telling Garnett, Pierce and Allen he led them to the championship? I’d like to know Rondo’s side of that story.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Mavs had a good postseason run but I don't think they really did anything memorable the regular season to make themselves stand out.

Dirk & Co beat Kobe's Lakers, KD/WB/Harden/Ibaka OKC and Lebron/DWade/Bosh Heat... all of them in their prime, one hell of a post season run
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Dirk & Co beat Kobe's Lakers, KD/WB/Harden/Ibaka OKC and Lebron/DWade/Bosh Heat... all of them in their prime, one hell of a post season run

One of the biggest flukes in NBA history.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Rondo was a much better player in 2010 than in 2008. In 08 he was just an average average player. In 2010 he was an elite player. Sounds like Rondo/KG/Pierce/Allen are acting like a bunch of spoiled schoolboy brats.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

(bleep) james posey and that 3 pointer
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
governator wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

One of the biggest flukes in NBA history.

I would take 2011 dirk over prime pau gasol any day
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

i hope this all this in-fighting, betrayal, and backstabbing is becomes their defining legacy.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
i hope this all this in-fighting, betrayal, and backstabbing is becomes their defining legacy.

They're a 1 hit wonder, just like 2000s Pistons (I guess R.Allen could shoved his 2nd ring to his 'teammates' faces lol)
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

Another Ray Allen feud

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/gary-damato/2018/04/17/damato-ray-allen-havent-talked-george-karl-15-years/522477002/
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: