Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

tlim wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
According to some theories, humans were descendants of Martians when Mars became uninhabitable.

Did they um.... destroy all the buildings on Mars or were they all somehow magically underground? How did the last rocket that took off not have its launch pad or supporting structures still in place? Why aren't there mining craters for minerals? Were they ant people and made it ultra efficient since their dawn of time?

Silly stuff...

All their structures are covered by space monkeys throwing their poop.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

This thread is evidence that any and everything will be debated on LG.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Space Changes your DNA

LarryCoon wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
Astronaut's DNA no longer matches his twin's after a year in space
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/astronaut-dna-no-longer-matches-twin-year-space-article-1.3875535

That article is vague and somewhat nonsensical, to the point that I'd guess that it's falling into the common media pitfall of completely misrepresenting what the science actually says. For example:

Quote:
Some changes — like the lengthening of Scott’s telomeres, or the endcaps of chromosomes that shorten over time — reversed once he was subject to Earth’s gravity again.

WTF do they mean by that? Telomeres are additional pieces of DNA that don't code for anything. The replication process is imperfect -- it doesn't replicate all the way to the end. It always stops slightly before. Having telomeres ensures that non-coding portions are left off after replication, rather than some of the important stuff. So if you think of it like this, with the DNA followed up by Telomeres:

DNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNATTTTT

Then each successive replication ends up leaving off some of the telomere:

DNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNATTTTT
DNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNATTTT
DNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNATTT
DNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNADNATT

So when they said his telomeres got longer, what do they mean? That more T's got added to the ends of them? What is the plausible mechanism for the same replication mechanism, which always stops a little short and therefore leaves off a little of the telomere, suddenly not only replicating all the way to the end, but adding additional telomere during a replication? Makes no sense. And then reverting back to normal once he's back to Earth? Again, makes no sense.

And how do they use this toward saying 7% of his DNA was altered? Again, makes no sense.

Another:

Quote:
But other changes persisted after six months. Researchers found a deficient amount of tissue oxygenation in Scott’s cells, and signs of stress to mitochondria, which transform nutrients into energy, along with increased inflammation.

Again, what's that got to do with DNA being altered?

lc, i posted the article so you guys could tear it apart for if nothing else being so vague. I saw that headline and was like what? Then i'm reading and I'm thinking..wait..thats not what the headline is implying. But its a fun headline to play with. I knew it was a bit strange that they never once spoke about actual DNA code.

The article had a cute headline but more or less talked about people being in space a long time and what it does to the body. which is something we've already known about for awhile now. I'm still waiting for the article to give me that ground breaking change in dna. I aint seeing it and it seems neither are you.

I found this from the fox news version of this article.
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/03/15/astronaut-scott-kelly-is-no-longer-identical-twin-how-year-in-space-altered-his-dna.html

Quote:
Scientists also identified significant changes in the telomeres found at the ends of the chromosomes in Scott Kelly’s white blood cells.

“The telomeres are the things that are in our chromosomes that are indications of our physical age, so as we age, they get shorter – mine got longer in space,” he told Fox News. “So it was a little bit like the fountain of youth – unfortunately when I got back down to Earth they went back down to where they were.”

finally found the real article from NASA.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-twins-study-confirms-preliminary-findings

just a snippet which is speaking on the same thing as the previous quote
Quote:
After returning to Earth, Scott started the process of readapting to Earth’s gravity. Most of the biological changes he experienced in space quickly returned to nearly his preflight status. Some changes returned to baseline within hours or days of landing, while a few persisted after six months.

Scott’s telomeres (endcaps of chromosomes that shorten as one ages) actually became significantly longer in space. While this finding was presented in 2017, the team verified this unexpected change with multiple assays and genomics testing. Additionally, a new finding is that the majority of those telomeres shortened within two days of Scott’s return to Earth.

Another interesting finding concerned what some call the “space gene”, which was alluded to in 2017. Researchers now know that 93% of Scott’s genes returned to normal after landing. However, the remaining 7% point to possible longer term changes in genes related to his immune system, DNA repair, bone formation networks, hypoxia, and hypercapnia.

Increasing mission duration from the typical six-month ISS mission to one year resulted in no significant decreases in Scott’s cognitive performance while inflight and relative to his twin brother Mark on the ground. However, a more pronounced decrease in speed and accuracy was reported postflight, possibly due to re-exposure and adjustment to Earth’s gravity, and the busy schedule that enveloped Scott after his mission.

and here's the real paper

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-twins-study-investigators-to-release-integrated-paper-in-2018
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
governator wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
tlim wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
According to some theories, humans were descendants of Martians when Mars became uninhabitable.

Did they um.... destroy all the buildings on Mars or were they all somehow magically underground? How did the last rocket that took off not have its launch pad or supporting structures still in place? Why aren't there mining craters for minerals? Were they ant people and made it ultra efficient since their dawn of time?

Silly stuff...

This wasn't a theory put by me. You can just google it. Anyways, when a planet loses its atmosphere and exposed to the vacuum of space, pretty much anything on the surface is irradiated, exposed to the elements of space, bombarded by meteors and asteroids. An asteroid striking a planet without an atmosphere is similar to a nuclear bomb, it will just vaporize everything in its wake. Add that this could possibly happen over thousands or even millions of years, there could be nothing left on the surface. By the way those manmade structures aren't so hardy even on Earth, if you see that nature usually takes over once the humans stop maintaining them.

Focusing on the lack of remnants on Mars completely misses the biggest flaw in this speculative nonsense (and as I said before, it's not a "theory"). It makes no possible sense that a society advanced enough to completely relocate via interplanetary travel and colonize a planet whose properties are vastly different in regards to life sustaining composition would be successful and yet completely regress to primitive beings who needed to go through the complete cycle of technological advancement from the ground up and leave absolutely no evidence of that previous advanced society.

Some say Mayan and Aztec carvings depicts ‘modern’ technologies

They are graphics that some have interpreted to possibly represent technological concepts. There is no evidence of the technology itself being manifested or existing. And still, ignores the problem of an extremely advanced society somehow regressing both biologically and intellectually to extremely primitive forms and somehow progressing back into sentient beings.

Is it conceivable that a technologically advanced society came to the plant millions of years ago and completely disappeared without a verifiable trace? Sure. But that wouldn't make them ascendants of the human race. There'd be no common lineage.

It’s a possibility that a technology advanced society wiped 99.9% of itself/live, something like a nuclear war. But for the theory to work then DNA must already contain every organisms required protein expressions and would be turned on with conducive environment thus as earth rebounded to condition conducive for a vertebrates/invertebrates to exist, the cycle continues but it takes millions years... and yes, I’m arguing a fantasy theory lol
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: