GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
With Lakers depth issues on the wing, Luke Walton said team revisited possibility of minutes for Luol Deng. However, after conversations with “several people,” including Deng, they decided to keep him where he is.

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/975083447587782656

Real interesting. That does shed some light. A lot, in fact. Thanks.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:
With Lakers depth issues on the wing, Luke Walton said team revisited possibility of minutes for Luol Deng. However, after conversations with “several people,” including Deng, they decided to keep him where he is.

Sounds like everyone has moved on.

On his end, I think Deng probably has too much pride to be used as Derek Williams.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject:

Kinda sad article on the Deng situation :/

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Sounds like everyone has moved on.

On his end, I think Deng probably has too much pride to be used as Derek Williams.

Maybe. But if you notice it only says they conversed with him, not that he agreed.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

Hmmm...I don't get it. How does it benefit Deng or the organization by not playing him?

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-deng-plaschke-20180210-story.html

This stands out to me:

"The current freeze was finalized before the season in a meeting with Deng and Lakers officials. It was mutually decided that, instead of playing Deng just a few minutes of garbage time each night, he would just sit out entirely so younger players could get the minutes.

Said Deng: "How am I going to help the team going out there two minutes? If you're trying to get younger, and you're not using me to win games, just fill in those minutes with those young guys.""

It seems he was told: "We will only play you in garbage time." He responded: "Don't bother."

Would love to know who reached out recently about possibly playing. If it was the Lakers, Deng said no. If it was Deng, the Lakers said no. Which was it? Someone started the conversation and the other party ended it.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
trablos wrote:

This stands out to me:

"The current freeze was finalized before the season in a meeting with Deng and Lakers officials. It was mutually decided that, instead of playing Deng just a few minutes of garbage time each night, he would just sit out entirely so younger players could get the minutes.

Said Deng: "How am I going to help the team going out there two minutes? If you're trying to get younger, and you're not using me to win games, just fill in those minutes with those young guys.""

It seems he was told: "We will only play you in garbage time." He responded: "Don't bother."

Would love to know who reached out recently about possibly playing. If it was the Lakers, Deng said no. If it was Deng, the Lakers said no. Which was it? Someone started the conversation and the other party ended it.

I don’t feel one bit bad for him. He accepted a huge contract, after the Mosgov contract knowing full well that those two huge contracts and the youth we had was going nowhere. He then came into his first season terribly out of shape, he couldn’t jump high enough so his jumpers were all short. He did it to himself. I don’t blame him for taking a ridiculous contract and getting paid, but he should have known what that contract was doing to the franchise and at the very least...be in the best shape of his life and put his best foot forward. Instead, he took the money and didn’t live up to his end of the bargain.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject:

I wonder what kind of buyout he would accept. He is currently owed $36,810,000 over the last two years of his (yikes). Obviously if he is only willing to give up a small amount it won’t help the Lakers much. Any chance he would give up a lot to try to revive his NBA career? He is still only 32 years old.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject:

Come on, he sure has some clause in his contract that says he can not refuse to play. And if he does then... What then? Would that be the way out of his contract?

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

Deng sounds really bitter. Can't blame him. But he does not help his own cause by not playing when the team finally needs him.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I wonder what kind of buyout he would accept. He is currently owed $36,810,000 over the last two years of his (yikes). Obviously if he is only willing to give up a small amount it won’t help the Lakers much. Any chance he would give up a lot to try to revive his NBA career? He is still only 32 years old.

Hmmm...is it possible Luke and the FO don't let Deng play so it convinces him to take a buyout and get actual playing time with another team instead of rotting on our bench for two more years?
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject:

Can players flat out refuse to play? Surely that's a breach of contract or something right?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
trablos wrote:

This stands out to me:

Yeah, I'm really interested in how this played out. Was it Deng pouting about being a garbage time player now or the FO trying to convince him he'll rot on the bench until the end of his contract unless he takes a buyout?

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject:

NBAPA Leadership

Chris Paul
President

LeBron James
First Vice President

Andre Iguodala
Vice President

Carmelo Anthony
Vice President

Stephen Curry
Vice President

Garrett Temple
Vice President

Pau Gasol
Vice President

C.J. McCollum
Vice President

Anthony Tolliver
Secretary-Treasurer

Since the intentions of the FO are to go after max free agent types, they are going to be careful how they treat a veteran that is of the same generation of many in the NBAPA leadership structure.

Playing hardball with Deng would work against the image management thing of Magic & Pelinka being able to connect with players.

Last edited by Bard207 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject:

Same question here LandsbergerRules. I see a lot of comments from Luke and other Lakers that Luol Deng is very positive on the practice floor and around teammates, from the mentorship and attitude angle of this, not bitter.

On the other hand, I see Luke insinuating that Deng, or at least his agent, appears to be in agreement that he not play, rather than play a bit role, in spite of this being a time when the Lakers could use Deng (or at least an in-shape Luol Deng) with BI and Hart both down with injuries.

I do not expect Luol to budge on his $36M enough to make a meaningful difference with regards to cap relief. One more year and that remaining number becomes an expiring at $18M. Much less expensive to unload or stretch.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject:

Wonder if his role would increase significantly if the 2 max plan happens and the Lakers become a "win now" team instead of a "play the young players" mindset?

Is he capable to provide vet play off the bench on a presumably competitive team? Could be an interesting twist to this saga.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

Reading the article about how he watches the game from the locker room and simulates playing while doing so doesn’t at all seem the behavior of a guy when agrees not to play.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Reading the article about how he watches the game from the locker room and simulates playing while doing so doesn’t at all seem the behavior of a guy when agrees not to play.

From the sound of it, he wants to play what he feels are meaningful, competitive minutes. Probably doesn't want to risk injury for this team if all he'll be getting are "token veteran" minutes. He's staying in shape for his next stop or if Luke decides to start him. Just my humble opinion.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

From the sound of it, he wants to play what he feels are meaningful, competitive minutes. Probably doesn't want to risk injury for this team if all he'll be getting are "token veteran" minutes. He's staying in shape for his next stop or if Luke decides to start him. Just my humble opinion.

Which goes directly to my question of his ability to contribute on a more veteran "contender " team.

Assume for a moment that the Lakers are able to sign James and George. But lose Randle to a high offer they don't match. Potentially works with only one max signing too.

Instead of using assets to move Deng or stretching him, would they play him? Would he contribute?

I'm thinking 15-20mpg. Thinking of bench contributors like Jeff Green, Mbah a Moute or David West on contending teams. Contracts not in line with them but role could be. His potential stats line up nicely with those players.

Not my favorite plan but I could see it working as a counter-balance to all the young players. Thoughts?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Could be, although I wouldn't expect he expects to start. It would seem logical with a raft of injuries that there would be a solid stretch of minutes a vet would be ready to help out with.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Deng is the equivalent of getting a solid .270 hitter in baseball who ends up hitting .200 for an entire season after getting signed for 72 million for 4 years.

He seems like a good man, but he's hardly the victim here. You cannot afford to play a forward who shoots 39% from the field when you have Randle, Ingram, Kuzma, and Brewer (at the time) in front of him. It would be like playing a farewell tour version of Kobe but without the 20 years of history to justify the move.

I hope he has a rich successful life post basketball but it's unreasonable to expect to play when you perform that poorly.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

why are there seven vice presidents
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

They all probably have separate areas of responsibilities.
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

Remember when Deng was going to be our Andre Iguodala?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

They all probably have separate areas of responsibilities.

Or are they useless figurehead positions?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 101 of 157
Jump to: