OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 936, 937, 938 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Needs this whole summer to work on his offensive game.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Few weeks ago , he's was super efficient and future allstar . I don't know what happened to him mentally in the last few weeks. Just falling apart offensively.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

4pts 7assists and 2 rebs for a starting PG is garbage
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Injury+ long nba season+ minimal offensive skills = his play of late
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

we play 4 on 5 on offense when hes out there
derek94
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

You know how espn keeps tabs of your last five games. His shooting stats are appalling.

23% shooting while playing 37.4 mpg?

Bright side he's got 12 games to pick it up.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

He gives the ball up too much. No confidence in himself.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Offseason, do we look to trade him or change his shot or ride it out with him for a few more years and hope somehow his shots start falling?

Decisions, decisions, decisions...
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I agree with Bill.

Bill Oram
@billoram
Lonzo Ball is getting great penetration but not looking for his own shot at all. I'm no coach, but seems like he needs to try to finish some of those plays rather than always kick out as first option.

He's playing scared right now. Has a calm exterior, but the dude is a mess mentally right now. Needs a sports psychologist or something.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ZO should just flail his way to the basket like BI last year. Hes got more than enough athleticism and length to get lucky and score or draw a foul.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

Darren collision is like Allen iverson compared to this guy on offense. Tough when your PG is so offensively challenged. He’s a rookie but his offensive game looks like crap.

It’s a shame because the Lakers front court is excellent.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I agree with Bill.

Bill Oram
@billoram
Lonzo Ball is getting great penetration but not looking for his own shot at all. I'm no coach, but seems like he needs to try to finish some of those plays rather than always kick out as first option.

Well, last game, he did try to finish one penetration with a layup but got rejected by the rim. I think that made him lose a lot of confidence. When you don't have the athleticism, you just can't do it. Lonzo Ball is not an athletic guy. He's smart but not athletic. He could be like Jason Kidd smart with his passing and playing good defense and rebounding but at the end of the day, he has to make his jumpshot. There's no way around it.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
ZO should just flail his way to the basket like BI last year. Hes got more than enough athleticism and length to get lucky and score or draw a foul.

Well, BI has always been mentally tough and not afraid to try to take it to the hole. His big problem is his lack of physical strength, especially last year. Once his physical strength catches up to the toughness, he'll be great. Zo, on the other hand, wants no part of any contact or the free throw line. He'll need to get both physically stronger and mentally tougher.

Last edited by LandsbergerRules on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:

If there's anything that he probably fears the most and looks the worst at....it's freethrows

That's probably why he doesn't drive to the paint to begin with.

The kid is a genius in how sees the ball, but he's horrible on offense. No sugar coating it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo has had a lot going on this past 12 months. Mother has serious medical issues, highly scrutinized draft pick trying to cash checks his father wrote, girlfriend gets pregnant, brother arrested in China, father beefing with Trump, Luke and subtly putting some of his teammates on blast, filming a reality TV show, launching a shoe brand and a rap career.

I'm surprised he's not huddled in a dark room somewhere whispering to a hand puppet.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
32 wrote:
I agree with Bill.

Bill Oram
@billoram

Well, last game, he did try to finish one penetration with a layup but got rejected by the rim. I think that made him lose a lot of confidence. When you don't have the athleticism, you just can't do it. Lonzo Ball is not an athletic guy. He's smart but not athletic. He could be like Jason Kidd smart with his passing and playing good defense and rebounding but at the end of the day, he has to make his jumpshot. There's no way around it.

His issue is not athleticism. It's technique.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
32 wrote:
I agree with Bill.

Bill Oram
@billoram

Are you... serious?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Well, BI has always been mentally tough and not afraid to try to take it to the hole. His big problem is his lack of physical strength, especially last year. Once his physical strength catches up to the toughness, he'll be great. Zo, on the other hand, wants no part of any contact or the free throw line. He'll need to get both physically stronger and mentally tougher.

Yeah, I wish someone on the coaching staff or even Lavar encourage him to attack the rim. I feel like he is afraid of making bad plays. At this point we shouldn't been concerned with wins. BI didnt look promising until we fully committed to tanking if I recall correctly.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject:

What Ball needed his rookie season was a scoring option at the 2 so he couldn't be counted on to be a scorer more than he should be in his first year.

We have KCP instead whom thinks he's a scoring option but is more or less a role player that refuses to accept that.

Lonzo has to work on his finishing this off-season and his free throws. Work on those two things and I can be patient with the 3 point shot coming along. I think it will.

But right now he needs to work on his finishing and his free throw shooting.

Remember, it's a problem when your shot isn't falling, and you can't make free throws it. It means your strength of getting to the basket is nullified the moment you get fouled.

Same problem we all saw Mudiay having. Difference is Ball is a better defender and basketball savant with his IQ. But offensively he and Mudiay share a similar problem. Both can get to the basket, both can't hit free throws and both have a shaky jumper.

I expect Lonzo's jumper to come around. But he'd add 5+ points to his average if he became a 75% free throw shooter and worked on his finishing.

chantruong wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
chantruong wrote:

Yeah, I wish someone on the coaching staff or even Lavar encourage him to attack the rim. I feel like he is afraid of making bad plays. At this point we shouldn't been concerned with wins. BI didnt look promising until we fully committed to tanking if I recall correctly.

LaVar DOES encourage him to attack more. Or rather he does, whenever they get the chance to talk nowadays.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

To anybody saying Zo isn't athletic enough, I'll have to disagree. He's a solid athlete. It's the fact that he seems to have gotten poor coaching growing up when it comes to ways to score other than jacking up threes. He also seems fragile mentally. Both of those are on Lavar.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Granted that I've only watched highlights and a few UCLA games, but lonzo appeared more aggressive.

Personally, I think his issues are mental first and mechanical a close second.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Granted that I've only watched highlights and a few UCLA games, but lonzo appeared more aggressive.

Personally, I think his issues are mental first and mechanical a close second.

Agreed.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
What Ball needed his rookie season was a scoring option at the 2 so he couldn't be counted on to be a scorer more than he should be in his first year.

We have KCP instead whom thinks he's a scoring option but is more or less a role player that refuses to accept that.

Lonzo has to work on his finishing this off-season and his free throws. Work on those two things and I can be patient with the 3 point shot coming along. I think it will.

But right now he needs to work on his finishing and his free throw shooting.

Remember, it's a problem when your shot isn't falling, and you can't make free throws it. It means your strength of getting to the basket is nullified the moment you get fouled.

Same problem we all saw Mudiay having. Difference is Ball is a better defender and basketball savant with his IQ. But offensively he and Mudiay share a similar problem. Both can get to the basket, both can't hit free throws and both have a shaky jumper.

I expect Lonzo's jumper to come around. But he'd add 5+ points to his average if he became a 75% free throw shooter and worked on his finishing.

chantruong wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
chantruong wrote:

LaVar DOES encourage him to attack more. Or rather he does, whenever they get the chance to talk nowadays.

What Ball needs is to play smart basketball. While people praise his IQ...its strange that they ignore what HE needs to do to help his team be successful. Yes he passes...and i'm very pleased with his defense....yet his offense is extremely anemic. He...along with D'angelo was sold on us fans as something he is not.
TheGoat1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

He does some really nice things at times and the idea of him at the top of his game is very tantalizing, but the kid is just soft at this point. Physically, there's no reason why he can't finish a semi-open layup or go up strong for once in his laker career. It's mental.

Worst case he is Ricky Rubio, which isn't a bad player, but no what we were hoping for at the #2 overall pick in a stacked draft.

For his sake and ours, hopefully he grows out of the softness.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Zo either needs to gain confidence in his existing shot or change his mechanics. Hope it happens soon. I agree, Lavar sure didn't do him any favors growing up.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 936, 937, 938 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 937 of 1688
Jump to: