ISAIAH THOMAS Official Thread (Shams: Lakers plan to sign 10-Day)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 100, 101, 102  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo still struggled with his shot next season, and IT regained close to his previous form... wouldn't you begin to at least consider letting IT start some games?

As much as I love Lonzo... this is still a meritocracy and I'm not going to lock any player as the starter forever if they can't hit their shots.

Maybe IT just has confidence he can win the job. It's what he's done everywhere he's been his whole life. Best case scenario... Lonzo balls out and we have a two way elite point guard and an elite backup in IT... middle case scenario... one of them struggles but the other flourishes... worst case scenario... Lonzo doesn't fix his shot, IT never recovers and we play our new first round pick (Shamet/Brunson) with Caruso as backup.

I like the plan because it gives us more options.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
If he comes back it would need to be a 1 year deal. Needs to show more recovery from his hip injury and a bench player mindset first before anything longer than 1 year. This is all assuming we miss out on pg/lbj.

Maybe he wants to be apart of the super team the FO might built? I mean if he gets payed it won’t be from a contender so maybe he’s willing to come back on a cheap deal to prove he’s 100% next year.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject:

Lonzo will continue to suck until he gets with a shooting coach and fixes that broken ugly shot of his. His free throw shooting alone is a cause for major concern. My god, should slap the dumb enablers that thought his current ugly form was ok. Yuck....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/taniaganguli/status/976314117333094401?s=21

Well then...now he’s cool with 6th man role?

Look who is the first in comments

seriously? How can people not see through what he is doing? It is better for all parties to part ways this summer.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

seriously? How can people not see through what he is doing? It is better for all parties to part ways this summer.

If you mean that he’s playing nice so that he doesn’t further damage his FA options, I get it.

Imo still 95% chance he is gone anyway. 5% chance he is back if the market rejects him and he has to take that MLE or 1+1 deal. Maybe his agent is tellling him it’s not looking good right now and that there might be limited options.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
If Lonzo still struggled with his shot next season, and IT regained close to his previous form... wouldn't you begin to at least consider letting IT start some games?

NO

You do not. I repeat. You Do not start a guy that small. Dont do it. It will pretty much never work. A guy like IT even at full strength is best served as your 6th man.

First off Zo is going to struggle with his shot next season. count on it. It's going to take a good 3 seasons to 5 for him to perfect his jumpshot. It took Jkidd almost his entire career to finally start taking the shots then knocking them down at a good clip.

If you just can't take the Zo bricks. then I would say think about moving him for another PG. but I aint starting IT period. Not if you're actually trying to win it all. now if you want to win more games during the season...sure.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

If you mean that he’s playing nice so that he doesn’t further damage his FA options, I get it.

Imo still 95% chance he is gone anyway. 5% chance he is back if the market rejects him and he has to take that MLE or 1+1 deal. Maybe his agent is tellling him it’s not looking good right now and that there might be limited options.

he will be happy backing up a 20/21 year old Lonzo in the same way a Bull is happy while being castrated. Luke already plays him a little more minutes than he should trying to manage his ego, and we simply do not need that next season. The potential reward is not worth the risk.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

He scored over 20 points 71 out of 76 games last year. He scored more 20 point games than our entire starting lineup has this season and many of those games were over 30. No one ever thought he would be happy with being a 6th man and he still won't be. But that's what you want from a player... competitive fire. Not some passive dude who accepts being second best. The fact that he's willing to admit it publicly tells you that he's accepted the reality of the situation. Doesn't mean he has to like it.

Management needs to look at his medical charts... they need to offer him a fair but not over priced deal, and lock him down if it is reasonable.

If the Knicks want to give him a huge contract... fair play to them... and goodbye IT... but if he wants to sign here at a discount, I welcome him with open arms and he can provide veteran cover for Lonzo as well as hopefully someone like Shamet or Brunson.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

adkindo wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah his agent/PR team doing some damage control bc other teams may look at him as a 6th man too.
Fansince79
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

I would love to IT stay with the Lakers for next few years until Ball give us some more confidence. Either one can be 6th man.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

Fansince79 wrote:
I would love to IT stay with the Lakers for next few years until Ball give us some more confidence. Either one can be 6th man.

Ball will never be a 6th man as long as Magic is in control.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Lonzo will continue to suck until he gets with a shooting coach and fixes that broken ugly shot of his. His free throw shooting alone is a cause for major concern. My god, should slap the dumb enablers that thought his current ugly form was ok. Yuck....

Once the Lakers get another scorer next to JR everyone will forget about Ball shooting. His defense and rebounding make up for his shooting.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject:

Given the cap hold we have on IT.

He'd be our best as well as likely cheapest option to sign this off-season as a super 6th man role.

Keep in mind

1) We have his Bird's Rights
2) His cap hold is cheaper than Clarkson's contract
3) at 80% what he was he's a better player than Clarkson

So it would be very advantageous for us to re-sign him this off-season. Like I said, it will come down to whether or not he can handle being a Super 6th man that plays 25-27 MPG.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject:

Isaiah Thomas considers Kobe "The best player to ever play."

He said this when he was on the Cavs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

As much as I love Lonzo... this is still a meritocracy and I'm not going to lock any player as the starter forever if they can't hit their shots.

Maybe IT just has confidence he can win the job. It's what he's done everywhere he's been his whole life. Best case scenario... Lonzo balls out and we have a two way elite point guard and an elite backup in IT... middle case scenario... one of them struggles but the other flourishes... worst case scenario... Lonzo doesn't fix his shot, IT never recovers and we play our new first round pick (Shamet/Brunson) with Caruso as backup.

No. Defense is the calling card of this team, so much that they spent almost the entire training camp working on defense, figuring that the offense would come later. Starting IT over Ball would be a big step backwards.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

No. Defense is the calling card of this team, so much that they spent almost the entire training camp working on defense, figuring that the offense would come later. Starting IT over Ball would be a big step backwards.

IT shouldn't start unless he's 29 PPG Boston IT... AND Lonzo can't shoot.
He can be our new LouWill... except one who can pass. As long as Lonzo can shoot 40%... he's worth starting because of his passing, defense and rebounds.

All I've said is that he's an incredible player to have for cover. We all should be grateful if we can get him as our backup. If the fans show him love, maybe we get him at a discount. If we all call him garbage... why wouldn't he go somewhere where he was wanted?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

He can be our new LouWill... except one who can pass. As long as Lonzo can shoot 40%... he's worth starting because of his passing, defense and rebounds.

All I've said is that he's an incredible player to have for cover. We all should be grateful if we can get him as our backup. If the fans show him love, maybe we get him at a discount. If we all call him garbage... why wouldn't he go somewhere where he was wanted?

Do you think fans' view on IT really has any bearing on whether IT/Lakers give him another year?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Do you think fans' view on IT really has any bearing on whether IT/Lakers give him another year?

Sure if he sees a poll where 1500 to 67 people want him back in Boston and half the fans here make fun of him... if he has to choose a backup role for the same salary... he might pick the place where he was appreciated.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Sure if he sees a poll where 1500 to 67 people want him back in Boston and half the fans here make fun of him... if he has to choose a backup role for the same salary... he might pick the place where he was appreciated.

How would he pick another place if there isn't a poll where 1500 people are talking about him?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

How would he pick another place if there isn't a poll where 1500 people are talking about him?

He was on Twitter doing a Q and A... so he saw that he got 1500 likes from fans in Boston wanting him back. Only 67 liked the one that said they didn't want him back. This isn't a theoretical... he saw that love. I'm saying if we were smart we should be doing the same instead of acting like he's too low to be our sixth man.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

So Boston is offering a MLE at best for him to back up Irving?

(assuming IT can even beat out Rozier for that backup spot).
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
So Boston is offering a MLE at best for him to back up Irving?

(assuming IT can even beat out Rozier for that backup spot).

I'm cool with IT going to the Knicks if we sign PG/LBJ... but I'd be pissed if he signed with Boston. Agree Rozier's been good but it would eat me up seeing Boston get what we could have had.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

I think for IT's sake (and not even coming from a Lakers fan), it's good if he truly came to the realization that he is more likely a Lou Will/Crawford scoring guard off the bench. It would allow him to have a longer career IMO and teams would be more interested in that over someone who claims he needs to start.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

Does Sacramento have cap space? I could see them throwing a decent sized short-term deal his way. He has a connection to the team, they're terrible and need to drum up interest somehow (not to mention that they can afford to take the risk since they're going nowhere anyway), and they'll justify it by calling him a "mentor" to Fox. A better managed team would recognize that Fox needs more minutes and the ball in his hands to be successful, both of which will be issues with IT on board, but these are the Vivek Ranadive-era Kings. Perfect fit.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Does Sacramento have cap space? I could see them throwing a decent sized short-term deal his way. He has a connection to the team, they're terrible and need to drum up interest somehow (not to mention that they can afford to take the risk since they're going nowhere anyway), and they'll justify it by calling him a "mentor" to Fox. A better managed team would recognize that Fox needs more minutes and the ball in his hands to be successful, both of which will be issues with IT on board, but these are the Vivek Ranadive-era Kings. Perfect fit.

Fox is their starter for the foreseeable future. Will IT be ok being at his original team, not as a star, but a backup to the team's future PG? I Don't see it.

Knicks I'm telling you for a MLE. Something short.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 100, 101, 102  Next
Page 78 of 102
Jump to: