2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
The Colts traded the #3 pick for the Jets #6 pick along with 3 other draft picks.

The Colts doin work. They don't need a QB, and it's quite likely that at least 3 of the picks before they now select at #6 will be a QB. And they picked up two 2nd's this year and a 2nd next year.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I think that what the Ravens did to Ryan Grant is really shady. They gave him what looked like an overpay and they were widely panned for it. Then the Raiders release Michael Crabtree, and within an hour, Grant's deal gets voided because of a failed physical? Because of a minor foot issue from Week 17?

I'll put it another way: they thought enough of him to give him that "overpay" in the first place. He's going to be healed well, well in advance of Week 1 this year, unless I'm missing something. So because he might not be 100% right this moment, they designate it as a failed physical? They saw an opportunity to get a "better" WR, and they did it, and it feels cheap as hell. The timing of how this all went down is far too suspicious.

If Grant really doesn't have a serious injury, I hope he files and wins a grievance. Now the dude is out in the cold in free agency, where most teams have spent most of their money already. Sure, he'll still get a deal somewhere, but nowhere close to what he thought he got from the Ravens. There's a reason that a lot of people hate the Ravens, and it's because they've always toed the line of trying to get a competitive advantage.

That was a clear overpay. Must've been that transition from Ozzie Newsome to his protege.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Tampa Bay gets Vinny Curry. Could be a big get for them. He was due $9MM from the Eagles, and in this deal, it's a "3-year, $27MM deal", with $11.5MM in guarantees. Lands on his feet.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Lot of good value deals going on. Sheldon Richardson to the Vikes. Tahir Whitehead to the Raiders for just $2 mil a year. He'll improve the Raiders run D.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Jimmy Garoppolo has yet to lose a game as a NFL starter.

Watch out for the 49ers as the Seahawks are rebuilding, Arizona is rebuilding and the Rams overachieved last season and will play a much tougher schedule this season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Jimmy Garoppolo has yet to lose a game as a NFL starter.

Watch out for the 49ers as the Seahawks are rebuilding, Arizona is rebuilding and the Rams overachieved last season and will play a much tougher schedule this season.

At the outset of free agency, the 49ers were 15-1 to win the Super Bowl and the Rams were 17-1. Now the Rams are 15-1 and the 49ers are 20-1. I guess Vegas likes what the Rams did in the secondary.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
The Colts traded the #3 pick for the Jets #6 pick along with 3 other draft picks.

The Colts doin work. They don't need a QB, and it's quite likely that at least 3 of the picks before they now select at #6 will be a QB. And they picked up two 2nd's this year and a 2nd next year.

That's quite a haul for moving down three spots. Don't know if there any OTs worth taking at #6 but sure hope they get someone to protect Luck this season. AFC needs some better competition than just Pats/Steelers and even that one isn't much in doubt about whose better.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:

That's quite a haul for moving down three spots. Don't know if there any OTs worth taking at #6 but sure hope they get someone to protect Luck this season. AFC needs some better competition than just Pats/Steelers and even that one isn't much in doubt about whose better.

Colts need a lot of help. Good trade to stock up on picks and get some guys to help Luck.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers are preparing for life without Ryan Shazier.

Pittsburgh agreed to terms on Sunday with free-agent linebacker Jon Bostic on a two-year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921956/article/roundup-steelers-sign-jon-bostic-to-twoyear-deal
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers are preparing for life without Ryan Shazier.

Pittsburgh agreed to terms on Sunday with free-agent linebacker Jon Bostic on a two-year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921956/article/roundup-steelers-sign-jon-bostic-to-twoyear-deal

They could still utilize Ryan Shazier later. It's only a 2 year deal. Vince Williams, the other ILB, is a decent rusher but is an average tackler and subpar in run support.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Chargers sign K Caleb Sturgis. Will he finally be the answer? He's a pedestrian kicker and was so for my Phins. He won't kick boomers but he won't muff too many gimmies.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Someone in the NFL FO must hate Minnesota. Get smacked in the NFCCG by the Eagles, Watch the Eagles win it all in their stadium and this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/19/report-vikings-eagles-will-open-the-2018-nfl-season/

Quote:

Report: Vikings-Eagles will open the 2018 NFL season

The NFL schedule hasn’t been released yet, but the first game has reportedly been decided.

The Vikings will visit Philadelphia to take on the Eagles in the annual Thursday night opener in the Super Bowl champion’s host stadium, according to longtime Philadelphia media member Howard Eskin.

Philadelphia’s slate of home opponents in 2018 is a good one, so the NFL really couldn’t have stepped wrong: In addition to the three NFC East opponents and the Vikings, the Eagles also play the Falcons, Panthers, Texans and Colts at home.

But the Vikings game is probably the marquee game on the Eagles’ home schedule, both because it’s an NFC Championship Game rematch and because the Vikings caught the biggest fish in free agency, Kirk Cousins.

After a season dominated by news of falling television ratings, the NFL undoubtedly wanted to put a big ratings draw in the opening Thursday night slot, and the league sees Vikings-Eagles as a big one.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject:

I had a lot of fun doing a 1st round mock draft last year, and I will do so again this year. It's too early to gather strong conclusions right now and offer up picks, but in reading some tea leaves, I do have some thoughts already, as it relates to this year's draft...

--If the Browns do take a QB at #1, I think they will go with Darnold. GM John Dorsey has been in the front offices of the Packers and, most recently, as GM of the Chiefs, and between Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers and Alex Smith, I think he will have an affinity for a QB that has size and the mobility to make plays out of the pocket, all while offering some sort of accuracy. I think Darnold fits that bill, while Josh Allen doesn't offer enough accuracy, Josh Rosen doesn't offer enough mobility, and Baker Mayfield doesn't offer the size Dorsey probably likes at the position.

--I think that it's going to be awfully hard for Dave Gettleman to pass on trading out of the #2 spot. With the Jets now at 3 and the Browns at 4, QB-needy teams know that if they don't move up to #2, they risk losing out on the QB that they really want. The Bills need a QB and have the ammo to move up, so that could be a match. But there might be pressure on Gettleman to try and win now with an aging Eli, so maybe they would take Barkley and try to set the Giants up long-term on offense with Beckham, Barkley, Engram, and Shepard. I don't get the sense that the Giants are going to take a QB at #2 if they do keep this pick.

--My gut is that the Giants trade out of #2 for a bounty of picks, that it's the Bills who are the trade partner, and that the Bills take Josh Allen. The front office pair of Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott are familiar with big, strong-armed QB's that have accuracy issues, and I think they will want a big-armed QB for those outdoor, cold-weather games in the second half of the season.

--I think that if a QB-needy team does trade up to #2 overall, the Browns will be doing cartwheels, because it means that Barkley will likely fall to them at #4, and he's probably the best player in this draft. In other words, the Browns could simply take a QB at 1 and then just wait for Barkley, since they would know that picks 2 and 3 would also be QB's.

--Since the Saints did such a great job in last year's draft and filled a lot of holes, and with Drew Brees nearing the end of his career, I would not be surprised in the least if they move up to grab a QB. They apparently really liked Mahomes last year, and KC traded up ahead of them and nabbed him. I could see them move up for Lamar Jackson. If they liked Mahomes, I could certainly see how they might like Jackson. He could get coached up for a couple of years by Sean Payton and learn from Drew Brees. Not a bad gig.

--I think the Chargers are in good position at #17, now that they don't have to address their offensive line, which going into last season looked awful. I suppose they could still take a look at Mike McGlinchey if they felt that the value was too strong to pass up--this is a team that took Mike Williams last year, after all--but I would suspect that they would be heavily in play for either Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne (D linemen), or Roquan Smith at LB (he could fall slightly since some medical issues came up at the Combine), or another LB like Rashaan Evans. They could come out of this draft with a very deep roster.

--Marcus Davenport, out of UT-San Antonio, could be this year's smaller-school pass rusher that rises up draft boards and into the top half of the first round, kind of like Haason Redick of Temple last year.

--I feel like the Dolphins will have strong interest in Baker Mayfield, and that they could trade up from #11 to get him, should Mayfield not get chosen in the top 4 selections. I'm just connecting dots here, but Adam Gase really liked Tannehill as his QB before he got injured, and Tannehill at his best was an athletic, mobile guy, like Mayfield. But Gase has also liked gunslingers, as evidenced by turning to Jay Cutler yet again last season after Tannehill got hurt (and Cutler could move a bit, too). Mayfield could be considered an athletic, mobile gunslinger, and I just see this as a match. I will note that if Mayfield does slide into the mid-teens, I could see the Saints try to trade up for him instead of Jackson.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/espn-hires-john-fox-as-studio-analyst/

Quote:
ESPN hires John Fox as studio analyst

Former Bears, Broncos and Panthers head coach John Fox probably won’t roam an NFL sideline again, but he has another job.

Fox was hired by ESPN as a studio analyst, Richard Deitsch of The Athletic reports.

Although he wasn’t known as the most media-friendly coach during his days in the NFL, the 63-year-old Fox will now move into an analyst role that has previously been filled by former coaches like Herm Edwards and Bill Parcells.

The most prominent job on ESPN, Monday Night Football analyst, remains unfilled.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Giants trading Jason Pierre-Paul to Bucs

Quote:
The New York Giants are trading defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

LINK

Bucs are looking like their defensive front will be much stronger this season....Vinny Curry, Gerald McCoy and Jason Pierre-Paul.

Does that mean Chubb will now come off the board with the 2nd pick?

Last edited by adkindo on Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
The New York Giants are trading defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and a 2018 fourth-round pick to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a 2018 third-round pick and a fourth-round pick, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

LINK

Bucs are looking like their defensive front will be much stronger this season....Vinny Curry, Gerald McCoy and Jason Pierre-Paul

Did JPP give this trade a thumbs up or thumbs down ?
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

Bucs are looking like their defensive front will be much stronger this season....Vinny Curry, Gerald McCoy and Jason Pierre-Paul.

With Kwon Alexander and Lavonte David behind them they should wreak havoc. I try not to get my hopes up anymore but I am cautiously optimistic, especially considering that the rest of the division isn't as good as a few years ago.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/20/espn-hires-john-fox-as-studio-analyst/

Quote:
ESPN hires John Fox as studio analyst

Former Bears, Broncos and Panthers head coach John Fox probably won’t roam an NFL sideline again, but he has another job.

Fox was hired by ESPN as a studio analyst, Richard Deitsch of The Athletic reports.

Although he wasn’t known as the most media-friendly coach during his days in the NFL, the 63-year-old Fox will now move into an analyst role that has previously been filled by former coaches like Herm Edwards and Bill Parcells.

The most prominent job on ESPN, Monday Night Football analyst, remains unfilled.

So basically the staff curmudgeon.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

Did JPP give this trade a thumbs up or thumbs down ?

I think the Bucs got shorted a few fingers in that trade.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Chargers sign K Caleb Sturgis. Will he finally be the answer? He's a pedestrian kicker and was so for my Phins. He won't kick boomers but he won't muff too many gimmies.

FFS that's all I'm asking for...
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
rwongega wrote:

FFS that's all I'm asking for...

It's the Chargers. We'll see him miss 19 yard field goals soon.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:

LINK

I really wonder what the Giants are going to do at 2 now, given this trade. Trading JPP unquestionably weakens their team this season, so if the goal was to put as good of a team--immediately--around Eli as possible, this would seem to counter that idea. Sure, they could take Chubb as JPP's replacement, but the odds are that he won't be as good, at least not as a rookie. If they aren't going all-out to field as good of a team around Eli as possible, there's logic for either trading out of the #2 spot and gaining value (like getting a ton of those Bills picks), or just taking a QB at #2. They may not have another chance to pick a top-tier QB like this for a while.

I'm assuming Darnold is going #1, so if the Giants did go QB at #2, I'm guessing that Rosen would be the choice. He's the best pure passer in this year's class, and I think that would appeal to Pat Shurmur.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Frank Gore signs with his hometown team for 1 year and will only count 600k towards the cap. I like this depth move. He'll spell Drake, who hasn't been counted on as a full time back since high school and be a mentor to the young RB.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22885911/eagles-defensive-end-michael-bennett-indicted-injury-elderly-paraplegic-incident-super-bowl

Quote:
A warrant has been issued for the arrest of Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Michael Bennett after a grand jury indicted him on a felony charge of injury to the elderly related to an incident at NRG Stadium following Super Bowl LI, according to the office of the district attorney of Harris County, Texas.

A release from the district attorney's office states that Bennett was a spectator and in town to watch his brother, Martellus, a player for the New England Patriots, on Feb. 5, 2017. After the game, Bennett allegedly shoved his way on to the field, where players were gathering to celebrate, according to the district attorney's office. NRG security personnel, including a 66-year-old paraplegic woman, told Bennett he had to use a different entrance for field access, but Bennett pushed through them, including the woman.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Corey Liuget suspended four games for PED violation.

Dolphins sign Brock Osweiler to a 1 year deal. I guess it's time for the team to become the Miami Broncphins.

Panthers sign ex-Giants CB Ross Cockrell. I think that's a good move. He's a solid #2 CB.

Eagles sign WR Mike Wallace to replace Torrey Smith as the aging speedster role.

Aldon Smith gets arrested again....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 8 of 106
Jump to: