The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1398, 1399, 1400 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

I didn't watch last night's game. I noticed against Miami, Randle took more than a few plays off defensively. How was he against Indiana? I sometimes feel that Randle gets too caught up in offense that he has to reminded his greatest impact can be found on D.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I didn't watch last night's game. I noticed against Miami, Randle took more than a few plays off defensively. How was he against Indiana? I sometimes feel that Randle gets too caught up in offense that he has to reminded his greatest impact can be found on D.

True, but offense is what gets a guy paid, and Randle is looking to be paid.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

It's hard to believe watching him this second half of the season he's the same player who had a questionable motor last season to enable him to play both ends for a full game. To me, he's always been one of those guys who plays harder on defense when is offense is rolling. I wish all of these guys had the mindsets of KCP and Hart who play hard on defense regardless of how their offense is going.
CRoost
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

It's hard to believe watching him this second half of the season he's the same player who had a questionable motor last season to enable him to play both ends for a full game. To me, he's always been one of those guys who plays harder on defense when is offense is rolling. I wish all of these guys had the mindsets of KCP and Hart who play hard on defense regardless of how their offense is going.

Lol it’s hard to play at both ends when you take heavy load offensively. It’s quite taxing to run the offense and be everywhere on defense.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Earlier in his career, he sucked on D. Lately he has had some ups and downs but shows a huge improvement. To the point that we can all pretty much see that he can be very effective, when he is motivated and paying attention.

Thing is, when Randle skates, he can still be a 20/10 guy, when he pays attention and hustles on D, he has it in him to be almost elite. Short of a consistent outside shot, he has it in him to be the man at the basket going for 20/10 with a couple of steals, a couple of blocks and a punisher. He is a nice piece to the puzzle, I hope we can keep him. I wasn't saying that at the beginning of the season.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

I expect Randle to be able to do both consistently. Raised expectations. What you do with a good, evolving player.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Pretty crazy comparing this version of Julius to his conditioning now.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, he is our most consistent player now. Must Keep Randle
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Last 6 for JR: 25.5PPG/11.3RPG ....On 60-97FG's (62%)

Playing himself into MAX country....

Perhaps play him less the rest of the way, keep the beast down a bit, let him go wild next season after we sign him....
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Double-double (23 & 10) but it was not enough as the entire team crumbled in the 4th.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject:

That block on the one end followed by him getting the rebound, running the court, crossing up past two people and dunking the ball in the fast break was a scary dose of reality of what Jules could continue to become...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
That block on the one end followed by him getting the rebound, running the court, crossing up past two people and dunking the ball in the fast break was a scary dose of reality of what Jules could continue to become...

I had to stop the game and rewatch that one multiple times. People used to gripe about him pushing the ball out in his first couple of years. But you don't get better at it without making mistakes and learning from those. He's gotten increasingly better at navigating defenders.

There are times when he's a freight train and just blows through everyone in transition. This was a bit different. He mixed in a some sports car.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
MJST wrote:

I had to stop the game and rewatch that one multiple times. People used to gripe about him pushing the ball out in his first couple of years. But you don't get better at it without making mistakes and learning from those. He's gotten increasingly better at navigating defenders.

There are times when he's a freight train and just blows through everyone in transition. This was a bit different. He mixed in a some sports car.

There will be a better version out soon, but here's the dunk for any who missed it

I had faith he'd continue to learn and get better. I hope he's having more fun out there.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject:

He does seem to have some defensive lapses where he could leave his man and try and stop a guy who gets loose going to the hoop. It seems he should be switch more in those situations.

Of course the bigger problem may be that we have too many guys getting loose and going freely to the basket.

Put him out there with PG`13 and Lebron and I think his defense goes to another level. Also they are not going to double JR with those other 2 guys on the team. JR in a one on one is a sure bet to score 60-70% of the time. Heck right now he has been scoring over 20 ppg and he doesn't need a lot of shots to get there.

He can go coast to coast on a full out sprint or he can change speeds like he did last night.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject:

BEAST
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Last 6 for JR: 25.5PPG/11.3RPG ....On 60-97FG's (62%)

Playing himself into MAX country....

Perhaps play him less the rest of the way, keep the beast down a bit, let him go wild next season after we sign him....

When you get to the point you expect Randle to drop 20/10/4 that you take it for granted, like you expected Kobe to drop 30 every single night that you kind of go "eh just Kobe being Kobe" and forget to grasp how difficult and uncommon it was till he's not playing at that level anymore. You just gotta sit back and be really happy that the Lakers didn't do something stupid at the deadline when it came to Randle.

Any 23 year old you just come to 'expect' 20/10/4 from on a nightly basis is special.

I think Randle's proven by this point that when the Lakers talk about a 1-2 punch right now, that one member of that 1-2 punch is Julius Randle. He is unquestiobaly right now the best player on the team and it's most consistent.

Like I said I think a season ago, Randle's the kind of player that under the radar becomes the best player on the team while fans are focused on everyone else.

Thus far this season, he has been.

Had he been playing the starting minutes from the beginning of the season, I think he'd be up for MiP this year.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

23/9 over 11 games this month.

This guy better be a Laker next year. BI, Randle and Kuz is a great front court.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
23/9 over 11 games this month.

This guy better be a Laker next year. BI, Randle and Kuz is a great front court.
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
MJST wrote:

There will be a better version out soon, but here's the dunk for any who missed it

I had faith he'd continue to learn and get better. I hope he's having more fun out there.

Reminded me of Randle's old HS mixtapes
awntawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

LakersDC wrote:
Roon wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
MJST wrote:

Reminded me of Randle's old HS mixtapes

I don't understand how anyone can look at plays like this, look at his impressive statistical improvements, and be like

"Meh, I still don't think he can be that good"

There are not a lot of guys with that combination of size, speed, and skill, and the ones that do are all special.
HAL 9000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Lakers plan the first half of the season was the way to go, I mean, since were outa the playoffs. By taming the beast, the Lakers were looking at a cap friendly contract.

Now that's shot to hell. Way to go Luke.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

HAL 9000 wrote:
Maybe the Lakers plan the first half of the season was the way to go, I mean, since were outa the playoffs. By taming the beast, the Lakers were looking at a cap friendly contract.

The Lakers turned down a cap friendly deal.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Julius has become (and still becoming) exactly what you want the 7th pick in his draft to become. Aaron Gordon, picked in the same draft, in Orlando is making the same strides.

These are the guys you've invested a lot of patience, coaching, and relationship building into. I don't care whom we get . Virtually any future scenario that does not include him will be really difficult to accept.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
HAL 9000 wrote:

The Lakers turned down a cap friendly deal.

Yes it was reported that he was willing to take a 4? year deal for his caphold 12.4 million.

I don't necessarily blame them for not taking that offer, but it's definitely a blunder.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

I'd have taken that deal, but in terms of cap friendliness, signing him for $ 12,M or $ 20M is the same, as it comes to 2018 FA season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1398, 1399, 1400 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1399 of 1536
Jump to: