Question about Moving away for a Job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Question about Moving away for a Job

I'm a recent Computer Science graduate - I've been looking for a software engineering job for the past 4 months. I haven't had the best luck (probably due to lack of experience) with companies in L.A. or even just companies in California, but have been getting a lot of callbacks from companies in other states like Colorado, Wisconsin, etc (I don't want to get specific with company names).

I feel like I should take a good job and move, if it ends up being offered to me, but am at the same time conflicted about leaving Los Angeles...Specifically because of the great weather, food and because my entire family is here.

I'm sure many on here have had to move/moved for a job. Even if you didn't... Wondering what your thoughts are?
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

I work in Quality Assurance and get a competitive wage but as soon as a position in Colorado opens and works with the timing my wife and I are out of here. Lived in LA over 30 years and I know it's time to get out. I barely want to leave my house and enjoy the sunshine because 80% of the time everything is too crowded and/or terrible traffic.

I've just soured on living here and it kills me cause this is where I was born. I don't mind a city, I just can't take a city with millions of people with very little connection to each others (except the Lakers)
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Take the job most equitable, salary and company solidity. Gain experience, build a work ethic and resume. If something opens up in Los Angeles after you've established yourself, come on home.

EDIT: Are you married with children? In a serious relationship? That should be a part of the equation.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject:

So you don't have family in other parts of the country?

That could help if you have a cousin somewhere.

However while I mostly stayed in the same state myself my parents came from the other side of the world. If they can do that you can go anywhere in the country.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

We are thinking about moving too, for similar reasons.

My thoughts are, at least I have family here whom I can visit, so trips back should NOT have expensive hotel costs. That is a plus.

I want to move because we could pay cash for a house in a whole lot of places I would enjoy living, and never have a house payment again. If we stay here, we need to move and will be in debt to our home for the rest of our lives. I'm just not into it. My wife has family in Atlanta, but none of them can put us up anymore when we visit. It makes more sense to be closer to them and travel to here, than the other way around.

It's a bummer to leave but other places are good too.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Moving away for a Job

leor_77 wrote:
I'm a recent Computer Science graduate - I've been looking for a software engineering job for the past 4 months. I haven't had the best luck (probably due to lack of experience) with companies in L.A. or even just companies in California, but have been getting a lot of callbacks from companies in other states like Colorado, Wisconsin, etc (I don't want to get specific with company names).

I feel like I should take a good job and move, if it ends up being offered to me, but am at the same time conflicted about leaving Los Angeles...Specifically because of the great weather, food and because my entire family is here.

I'm sure many on here have had to move/moved for a job. Even if you didn't... Wondering what your thoughts are?

Don't sell Colorado short. I'm So Cal through and through but I've visited some friends that relocated to the Denver area. Low key, it's one of the dopest cities in the country. Real estate prices have been trtending upwards but it's still a good chunk of change cheaper than living in So Cal that's for sure.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I was born and raised in Orange County. I lived there my whole life until September 2014 when I moved out to the current desert wasteland in which I reside for my current job.

For me, it is totally worth it and then some because the job is a once in a lifetime opportunity that fell into my lap because I knew the right person at the right time.

It's only 2.5 - 3 hours from LA/OC where a lot of my friends and family are so it's an easy day trip on weekends. Plus with the job that I'm at, I work a "flex" or "9/80" schedule. Mon - Thurs I work 9 hours and Fridays alternate between an 8 hour workday and a day off, so every other weekend is a 3-day weekend. That makes it a lot more convenient to go out of town for a day and then still have 2 days to do whatever.

Plus since the town I live in is a complete (bleep)-hole that is over 80 miles away from the nearest In 'N Out Burger, it's REALLY cheap. I rent a 2-story condo that has 2 master bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, and a garage. My monthly rent is $800.00 and I live alone.

I should also mention that I'm single and have no kids, so my situation wouldn't work for everyone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Have family and friends in Denver. It’s a (bleep) hole.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Go up north. Bay Area.

Best place in the country for software engineers IMO.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Too bad you will probably live out of your car with the ridiculous housing prices in the Bay Area.....
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Too bad you will probably live out of your car with the ridiculous housing prices in the Bay Area.....

Ehhh, he’s fresh out of school. Living out of your car builds character =) haha
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

The PNW is an option
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Moving away for a Job

leor_77 wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, and I understand the reticence of leaving California. I took a job in the Bay Area mostly because that's where the best companies are, but staying in California played a role as well. That said, I feel like a diversity of experiences is a good thing. Let's say you move to Denver and it sucks. With a year of experience under your belt, you can re-apply to LA-based companies. Or to the Bay Area where most of the jobs are.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about Moving away for a Job

tox wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, and I understand the reticence of leaving California. I took a job in the Bay Area mostly because that's where the best companies are, but staying in California played a role as well. That said, I feel like a diversity of experiences is a good thing. Let's say you move to Denver and it sucks. With a year of experience under your belt, you can re-apply to LA-based companies. Or to the Bay Area where most of the jobs are.

These were my thoughts as well, but I'll give anyone looking for a job another tip:

Go here: https://www.usajobs.gov/

Type in a keyword for your desired job, ie: "Quality", "IT" "Nursing", etc and your zip code and you will see jobs nearby. Yes, they are Govt. jobs where you may not get rich, but you will have a long term job that is not subject to the financial BS associated with jobs out in "industry"...
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Question about Moving away for a Job

unleasHell wrote:
tox wrote:

These were my thoughts as well, but I'll give anyone looking for a job another tip:

Go here: https://www.usajobs.gov/

Type in a keyword for your desired job, ie: "Quality", "IT" "Nursing", etc and your zip code and you will see jobs nearby. Yes, they are Govt. jobs where you may not get rich, but you will have a long term job that is not subject to the financial BS associated with jobs out in "industry"...

Not to mention health care for the rest of your life and most GS positions still have a pension plan and a really good savings plan with partial matching funds.

Almost hate to say it but if I was under 35, I would consider joining the military. If you can get in as an officer while in your 20's, you can get a full retirement pension after 20 years. You can get out of the military with excellent training in your 40's, go get another job and kick ass. I've known a few people who have done this, then end out with really good jobs after they retire from the Navy and get another 6-7 grand a month in retirement. They got retirement made in the shade because they get their military retirement, ssi and perhaps another pension plan if they can work another job for 10 years or more after they retire from the military. SSI for them will be 2.2-3.5 grand a month, on top of their 6-7 grand. I would do it in a heart beat, if I had the chance again and my same brain. LOL
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

Getting your foot in the door in the professional world is the biggest thing. Once you have some experience, finding a new job is a heck of a lot easier. You can always move back to California after a year or two if you're not happy wherever you move.

Plus, you just graduated, try some new things before you have a family to tie you down.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

I grew up in the Midwest, moved to the South after college and eventually to the West Coast. I have enjoyed everywhere I have lived, there is something positive about every city I have lived in. There is happiness everywhere, you just have to find it.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I grew up in the Midwest, moved to the South after college and eventually to the West Coast. I have enjoyed everywhere I have lived, there is something positive about every city I have lived in. There is happiness everywhere, you just have to find it.

Agree w this.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject:

My own personal experience, moving away for a job was one of the best things I’ve ever done. I moved to the Northeast and learned to appreciate some of the differences there vs here, and also appreciate what I took for granted about SoCal. I learned a lot about who I am, what I like, and where I wanted to live by moving away. In my case, I returned to SoCal with a new sense of appreciation of the weather, the people, the diversity, the freedom, the food, and the culture. Highly recommend this for everyone.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

SoCal is one of the biggest job markets for IT. I wouldnt leave unless there was job I just could not turn down.
Have you done any internships? In many cases a place will give you a offer if you do a good job, and worse case you got something else to put on your resume to separate yourself from all the other new grads.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

I grew up in SoCal but by the time I was in my early 30s I knew it was time for me to get out. Think of it this way...you've done it, experienced life in SoCal, don't be afraid of new experiences. Personally I wanted to live somewhere that was quieter, less crowded, and more affordable, so I moved to New Hampshire. But if you like big city life, there are plenty of other cities across the country that can offer that as well. And if it's being away from family, you can always fly back and see them. I visit SoCal pretty regularly. I enjoy my visits. It's like now I have a place to go on vacation that I'm totally familiar with. But I can't deal with the traffic and the crowds on a daily basis.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

I've always wanted to return to SoCal. I just can't do it. I would be renting and living a quality of life much lower than I could have even in a city like Toronto. LA is just so expensive..if I just had a home there it would be a no brainer.

I have a lot of family in LA and they have homes and a pretty good life. Difference is if they sold their properties and moved to Texas or Denver they'd be kings. But they always say "Rather live in a shack in Cali than a mansion in Texas!"
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Go for it. You're young and have nothing tying you down - it's a great time to experience life. When I was in my early twenties I moved out of California to a different state where I didn't know anyone (for a job as well). It forces you to go out and meet new people and try new things while seeing things from a new perspective. Scoring a good job before you move definitely makes it easier. Plus, there's nothing saying you can't move back after awhile (I did), with an even more attractive resume.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

well you dont have to live in LA. You can get much better housing value just outside and still be a short drive away from LA, San Diego, OC. I have a pretty nice house in a pretty nice gated community in the IE... I dont think theres anything within a 10 minute radius that would be considered ratchet.
I also have property in Texas so I know alittle bit about real estate out there and last I checked all the properties of comparable value in Houston/Austin/Dallas is not "that much" better than my SoCal home.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: