LiAngelo Ball is taking his talents to the NBA Draft.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: LiAngelo Ball is taking his talents to the NBA Draft.

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/03/27/liangelo-ball-nba-draft-declare-lithuania

How has he been doing in Lithuania? Has he been shooting lights out? Clamping down on D? Effecting the pace of the game and leading his team to a winning record?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

My guess is he'll remain in Lithuania.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

From Yahoo! article:
Quote:
Ball, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward, has established himself as a pro player this season in Lithuania. He’s averaging a league-leading 15.7 points and 2.9 rebounds and is shooting 45 percent from 3-point range in nine first-division Lithuanian league games. Ball has shown a two-way ability because of his size, strength and 3-point shooting, and has already emerged as one of the team leaders and positive voices for Vytautas.

From SI article:
Quote:
Even his father, LaVar, who is known for over-hyping his sons’ abilities, admitted LiAngelo isn’t likely an NBA prospect.

It could be part of Lavar's master plan to let him go undrafted so no team will have his draft rights then try and strong arm the Lakers into giving him a look in SPL playing with Zo.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

He should have waited because I'd imagine teams will only give you one decent look and he is going to waste it at a time when he is no possible way ready.
I wonder which one of these brothers will be the first to grow a pair and stop doing exactly what their dad tells them.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

Lonzo according to recent articles has his own place and he is the breadwinner of the family. So I would guess because of his age and status he is slowly becoming independent.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
From Yahoo! article:
Quote:
Ball, a 6-foot-5 guard/forward, has established himself as a pro player this season in Lithuania. He’s averaging a league-leading 15.7 points and 2.9 rebounds and is shooting 45 percent from 3-point range in nine first-division Lithuanian league games. Ball has shown a two-way ability because of his size, strength and 3-point shooting, and has already emerged as one of the team leaders and positive voices for Vytautas.

From SI article:
Quote:
Even his father, LaVar, who is known for over-hyping his sons’ abilities, admitted LiAngelo isn’t likely an NBA prospect.

It could be part of Lavar's master plan to let him go undrafted so no team will have his draft rights then try and strong arm the Lakers into giving him a look in SPL playing with Zo.

Mad genius. Just subtract the genius part.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

I'm not sure if the Lavar really has the ability to strong arm the Lakers. Unless Magic & Co, see him as a genuine prospect, which seems unlikely, they might well pass on the distraction of the Ball circus.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I'd play him in Vegas and the G-League. Lithuania is a different place to gauge level of talent and play.

If he's really a 6'5" dude and let's say he can shoot 40% 3pt on high volume, how does he not make it to at least the G-League?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Also, I've never seen LiAngelo this physically fit. Dude lost weight.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

He might have the quickest release in the league... I'd sign him to the Gleague team and see what he does. Only concern is feet on defense possibly having to guard SGs
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

if he was 6'9" and gave a crap on defense I could see him being potentially being a Travis Wear type player. but at 6'5" doesn't have enough guard skills or athleticism IMO. Best case is a Reddick/Korver type player but he doesn't seem to have that kind of motor
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject:

He reminds me of Jared Dudley.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
if he was 6'9" and gave a crap on defense I could see him being potentially being a Travis Wear type player. but at 6'5" doesn't have enough guard skills or athleticism IMO. Best case is a Reddick/Korver type player but he doesn't seem to have that kind of motor

Even if he were a borderline second round pick, would you really want to deal with his dad for a guy with little apparent upside?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I'd play him in Vegas and the G-League. Lithuania is a different place to gauge level of talent and play.

If he's really a 6'5" dude and let's say he can shoot 40% 3pt on high volume, how does he not make it to at least the G-League?

Yeah, I know he's not seen as a real prospect, but I wouldn't rule out anybody who can shoot 45% on 3s. I remember his shot looked much better than I expected in the one exhibition game he played for UCLA, better than when I saw him in high school.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Also, I've never seen LiAngelo this physically fit. Dude lost weight.

Perhaps this could be another Marc Gasol story. It's even got the same more talented older brother angle.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

45% against complete crap competition is not enough for teams to overlook other obvious lacking skills.
His best bet would have been staying 4 years at UCLA playing against better competition while molding himself into a D and 3 guard.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject:

I look forward to seeing what he can do on our G league team
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

if he gets a Summer League invite, it is best for all parties is if it is with one of the 29 teams not named the Lakers.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
45% against complete crap competition is not enough for teams to overlook other obvious lacking skills.
His best bet would have been staying 4 years at UCLA playing against better competition while molding himself into a D and 3 guard.

How does his competition compare to the competition in college? In Lithuania he plays against older, more experienced players. I would assume they have higher basketball IQs from all the extra years of playing. Big difference between playing against guys that aren’t even 21 (in many cases) yet and playing against players that are much older. Older players have more time to get stronger also.

He definitely could have changed opinions more though if he exceeded expectations at UCLA.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Hes not good enough and Lavar is his dad...

Had he not messed up at UCLA he could have maybe developed. Had his father not dreams of his own league, maybe this kid would join the g league.
I don't think European veteran after a ballers league stint.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject:

I too would also like to hereby announce my intention to enter the 2018 NBA Draft.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

How does his competition compare to the competition in college? In Lithuania he plays against older, more experienced players. I would assume they have higher basketball IQs from all the extra years of playing. Big difference between playing against guys that aren’t even 21 (in many cases) yet and playing against players that are much older. Older players have more time to get stronger also.

He definitely could have changed opinions more though if he exceeded expectations at UCLA.

yes more collective experience but I think NCAA clearly has better talent to play against to prepare him for the speed and athleticism of the NBA. And then the coaching and training would be light years better.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

yes more collective experience but I think NCAA clearly has better talent to play against to prepare him for the speed and athleticism of the NBA. And then the coaching and training would be light years better.

On top of that, he signed with a rinky-dink team that is letting his family treat them like their personal Harlem Globetrotters. I imagine NBA teams are wary of the self-indulgent environment.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
audioaxes wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

On top of that, he signed with a rinky-dink team that is letting his family treat them like their personal Harlem Globetrotters. I imagine NBA teams are wary of the self-indulgent environment.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/27/17169694/liangelo-ball-72-points-lavar-lithuania-nba-draft-declare

Well they certainly won't be impressed by him scoring on a bunch of kids....
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

The top competition he plays is inferior to college and he often plays teams full of guys college age or younger.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: