MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-28-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-28-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Home Stretch… The Lakers close the season with a string of games at home and hope to pile up some W’s in the process.

Despite Brandon Ingram’s return, it was a lackluster first half and the Lakers trailed by a point at halftime. They came out flat again in the second half and fell back by 13 points. The Mavs have given them issues this season, but there’s no excuse to cough up a loss to them while they are in full tank mode.

They came to life late in the third quarter. A 16-0 run sparked by some Julius Randle energy and the second unit got the team the lead heading into the fourth.

They held the Mavs to 12 points in the fourth and took the 103-93 win.

Randle -- -- One of those perfect examples of how this has really become his team. When he elevated his game in the third quarter, that lifted the entire team. He led the charge and the game changed. Very efficient 20-10 game tonight. He picked up a couple fouls in the first half and that limited him a little, but he still got his usual production (9 points on 4-5 shooting and 4 boards). He combined that speed and power to finish around the rim or draw FTs. Defensively, Dirk was shooting right over Randle on a number of occasions. He struggled a little with that. But he did have a defensive sequence that led to a shotclock violation that seemed to help change the momentum. I love when guards try to iso against him on the dribble and get smothered. They think they’ve got an advantage and end up getting in trouble instead because of Randle’s foot speed. The Stats: He scored 20 points on 7-10 shooting (6-9 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 33 minutes. He was a +0. The Action: He hit Ingram cutting for a dunk. He faced up in the post and muscled Barnes easily for an And-1 layup, he made the FT. He attacked baseline and lost the ball. Bad kickout, then he didn’t hustle after the loose ball and it led to a dunk the other way. He dunked in transition off the advance pass from Lonzo. He missed a jumphook off glass. He scored a layup on the putback of a missed jumper. He iso’d, spun and scored a layup to his left. Second Half: He missed a runner in the middle of the paint. He drew FTs in transition, he missed both. He smothered a guard on iso D to force a shotclock violation. On the other end, he dumped a defender in the post, took the post entry and was fouled by a help defender, he made one FT. He attacked the offensive zone with speed and scored over multiple help defenders. He came weak to strong, sealed his man, took the post entry pass and scored the layup easily. Quick first step baseline and he drew FTs, he made both. He attacked from the wing, got contact and scored off glass. Nice challenge on D on the other end to force a miss and ignite the break. Off the mark on a pass to Kuzma cutting. He took a pass, missed the layup, got it back and drew FTs on the second attempt, he made both.

Ball -- -- He iced up his knee in the third quarter after taking a bump to the back of it on a backscreen and came up hobbling. That cut his night short. He said he’s not concerned about it, but will get an MRI. I want to see all our young guys out there to close the season. Luke mentioned he’s going to keep the minutes lower so that guys can don’t come up hurting and having an injury slow down their offseason. So, we’ll see how they treat this. In the game, he sank a three, had a dunk on the break and hit a midrange jumper. The Stats: He scored 8 points on 3-7 shooting (1-3 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 5 assists, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 24 minutes. He was a -11. The Action: He swished a wing three on a swing pass. He hit Julius with the advance pass for a dunk on the break. He missed a short one in the paint but got it back. He missed a layup on the break. He missed a wing three on a kickout. Hack-a-Zo with 3:25 left, he made one FT. Second Half: He missed a corner three. He leaked out, took the long pass and dunked. He fumbled away a dribble on a probe across the lane. He sank a 19-footer when left open.

Ingram -- -- After about a month off, BI finally returned. “I didn’t even know he was on the team still,” Kuzma said of Ingram. He was on a minutes restriction and played 23. He was irked about getting pulled out of the game with the restrictions. While in, he was aggressive. He was able to get to the line, attacking the paint. He didn’t hesitate to take any jumper that was available to him. He and Randle were producing consistently just before BI went down with the injury. I want to see that return to close the season. They should also be our one-two punch in crunch time to develop for next season. Late in the game, we had him back at the PG spot with Lonzo sitting. Defensively, he got knocked around a little bit. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 4-10 shooting (1-3 from three, 4-6 from the line) to go with 6 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 3 turnovers and 2 fouls in 23 minutes. He was a -7. The Action: He dunked off the feed from Randle in the post, picking up where they left off with that play. He posted up and kicked to Lopez for a three. He threw a kickout away, layup the other way. He sank a pull-up jumper from 17 feet out working off the screen. He got caught in the air and traveled. He was fouled on a putback attempt in transition, he missed both FTs. He missed a turnaround. He sank a three off a swing pass. He attacked baseline and threw it away. Second Half: He sank a wing jumper with his toe on the three line. He crossed over his man badly and drew FTs on the drive, he made both. He missed a three on a kickout. He missed a long pull-up jumper. He missed a wing three. He overpassed, kicking out instead of trying to finish a drive. He attacked from the wing and missed the layup, but drew FTs, he made both. He missed a pull-up 18-footer. He missed a 17-footer next time down. He lobbed to Kuzma on the break for a score.

Lopez -- -- We didn’t start with him working the post out of the gates like we did the last time we faced the Mavs. Eventually, we started milking that. He had 17 points in the first half on 6-11 shooting. He’s just tough to handle with that touch in the paint. If you throw smaller defenders on him, look out. He’d score 5 in the second half. He was drawing instant doubles in the post. He had 4 assists, but we probably could have worked that a little better as it instantly scrambled the defense. “We were a little stagnant watching the big guys,” Ingram said. Good job on the glass tonight, too. The Stats: He scored 22 points on 8-16 shooting (2-5 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 4 assists, 1 steal, 1 block and 4 fouls in 39 minutes. He was a +4. The Action: He sank a three on a kickout. He missed a wing three. He hit the 10-footer in the post after knocking a defender back. We went to him in the post out of a timeout and he scored a layup. He faced up, spun to the middle of the paint and hit the short jumper next time down. He hit an easy jumphook on a drop-step baseline. He hit a sweeping hook across the middle of the lane. He took a pass in transition (surprised by it), spun and drew FTs, he made both. He threw up an off-balance jumphook expecting a call and missed. He missed a wing three. He drew FTs in the post, he made both. Second Half: He missed a fade in the post. He blocked a drive. Way off on a wide open corner three. He swished a wing three in transition. He muscled his way past his man in the post and scored the layup. Excellent entry pass to Randle coming weak to strong for the easy score. He rushed and missed a turnaround.

Caldwell-Pope -- -- He struggled with the shot, but also had some awful turnovers (4 tonight). Just not a good night. He at least battled on the glass, which we’ve been seeing a lot of in the past month. I imagine if Hart was back in this game, he might have finished this game instead of KCP. The Stats: He scored 7 points on 2-8 shooting (0-4 from three, 3-3 from the line) to go with 9 boards, 2 assists, 1 steal, 4 turnovers and no fouls in 35 minutes. He was a +6. The Action: He attacked off the three line and scored a layup to start the game. He missed a three on the wing when we had numbers. He missed a wing three off a swing pass. He moved in off the three line and missed the jumper. He drew FTs on a drive, he made both. He fumbled away an interior pass. He pushed off and stepped on the sideline, turnover. Second Half: Lazy pass on the perimeter, dunk the other way. He threw a bounce pass out of bounds. He took a bump in transition and then a dribble and scored an And-1 layup (should not have been an And-1), he made the FT. He gambled for a steal, came up empty and it led to FTs. He missed a sideline chuck from three, not close. He couldn’t box out and gave up a putback. He attacked missed on the other end. He missed a corner three.

Kuzma -- -- With Brandon back, we moved Kuzma back to the bench and could reduce some minutes a little more. He still got 34 off the bench. The shot was off tonight, even freethrows (1-4) were looking bad early on. He kept at, hitting a couple of threes, scoring on a lob on the break and finished with a decent scoring night despite some of those struggles. He had 18 points on 50% shooting despite not a great game. That’s the kind of thing you usually see out of vet players, not your rookies. Vets find a way to produce and fight through off nights. Kid is a baller and on a cost controlled contract. That’s going to be huge for this team going forward. Some moments defensively with a nice shotblock and some good rotations/challenges. He’s been progressing well on that end the last couple of months now. “I want to be a complete player,” Kuzma said. He said playing the SF has made him a more alert defender. The Stats: He scored 18 points on 7-14 shooting (3-10 from three, 1-4 from the line) to go with 4 boards, 3 assists, 1 block, 2 turnovers and 2 fouls in 34 minutes. He was a +23. The Action: He spun, attacked and hit the running hook. Great read spotting Ennis open under the hoop for a layup instead of taking the open three. He sank a wing three off a swing pass. Wide left on a three next time down on a kickout. He was fouled on a turnaround jumper with a second left in the quarter, he missed both FTs, however. He missed a step-back sideline three. He fumbled away a bounce pass. He traveled dribbling into the help D. Not close on a three from the top of the arc. He attacked in transition and scored a layup. Second Half: He missed an open wing three. Way off on a three in transition. He attacked the paint and drew FTs, he made one. He found Caruso open in transition for a layup. He iso’d and missed a long three. He rejected a drive on the other end then he hit Ennis in transition for a three out of that. He sank a wing three off a swing pass. He missed a three on a kickout. He attacked in transition, bumped his man backward and scored the layup over him. He stood in on help D and drew a charge in the middle of the paint. He scored a layup on the lob from Ingram on the break. He ran clock and swished a pull-up three.

Wear -- -- He sank a couple of shots in the first half, both more from an iso nature where he faced up defenders. Haven’t seen much of that. I love that we ran an all Summer League unit out there for one stretch. Wear’s given some very serviceable minutes. We may need players on minimum contacts this offseason depending on how free agency goes and he’s definitely earning his roster spot right now. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-3 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 2 boards, 1 assist and 1 foul in 15 minutes. He was a +11. The Action: He missed a sideline three. He faced up on the wing and hit the three on iso. He faced up in the post against a smaller defender and swished the baseline jumper. Second Half: Swing pass to Kuzma for a three.

Caruso -- -- Man, he had a bad stretch in the fourth that reminded me of Jordan Farmar, who used to compound mistakes and misses two or three times in a row sometimes. Not what you want you’re a PG. He struggled with his shot, missing four attempts from behind the arc. Still, he competed defensively, including a nasty block on McDermott. I’ll take that over Ennis minutes. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 1-6 shooting (0-4 from three, 3-4 from the line) to go with 1 board, 3 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 16 minutes. He was a +11. The Action: He knocked a loose ball free to a teammate. He recovered and rejected McDermott badly to get a stop. He missed a wing three. Second Half: He drew FTs on a drive, he made one. He drew FTs in transition, he made both. He missed an open three at the end of the quarter. He pushed out the break and lost the dribble. He missed a three in transition next time down. He missed a reverse next time down. Sloppy slap pass as an outlet and it went to the Mavs. Finally, he had a layup goaltended on the break on the next trip down for a score. He missed a wing three on a kickout.

Zubac -- -- A couple of nice blocks from Zubac in the fourth quarter. That’s what I’ve been wanting to see out of him. Need more of Zublocka to close the season. That helped set the tone for the 12-point fourth quarter that they held the Mavs to. No scoring, but I’ll take the defense presence over that. The Stats: He didn’t score or shoot, had 3 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 2 blocks and 1 foul in 9 minutes. He was a +5. The Action: Nothing to report. Second Half: He blocked a perimeter jumper. He tracked down a guard on a drive and swatted it off glass.

Ennis -- -- Well, in the first half he had an awful turnover as he tried to run clock and make a move on iso at the end of the quarter. That led to easy points the other way. He always makes me nervous when he’s trying to create something. Second half, better minutes with a couple of plays on D and hitting a corner three. Still, kind of surprised he got minutes in the first half with BI’s return and Caruso on the roster. The Stats: He scored 5 points on 2-3 shooting (1-2 from three) to go with 3 boards, 1 steal, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 11 minutes. He was a +8. The Action: He scored a layup off the great feed from Kuzma. Running clock, he sized up his man, went behind the back on the dribble right to a Maverick who took it for a dunk the other way, sheesh. Second Half: He missed an open wing three on a kickout. He sank a corner three in transition.

Walton -- -- Happy 38th birthday, coach… The Lakers led 15-12 when the timeout came midway through the quarter… Atrocious defense again and Luke called a timeout down 22-17 with 5 minutes left in the quarter… Kuzma in at the SF for Ingram out of that… Randle picked up his second and sat for Wear, Lakers down 5. Ennis in for Ball… They took back a 1-point lead going to Lopez in the post… Caruso in for KCP. Why are we even running Ennis if we have Caruso?… The Lakers trailed 34-32 after the first quarter… He started a Zubac, Wear, Kuzma, Caruso, Ennis lineup. Take out Ennis and replace with Ball and we have the Summer League squad… BI and Ball in for Ennis and Caruso. So we do have game one of the summer league roster out there now… Lopez and Randle back in for Wear and Zubac shortly later… All starters in now, score tied… BI out for Kuzma… The Lakers trailed 56-55 at the half. The Lakers had 10 turnovers… Lakers quickly trailed by 6 points giving up scores every time down… Luke called a timeout down 7… They fell back by 10 and Kuzma came in for BI… The lead extended to 13 before the Lakers cut it to 8 and forced a timeout… They sat Lonzo for Caruso. Randle sparking the Lakers to life… A 16-0 run had a 3-point lead… The Lakers led 82-81 after the third… He started a Zubac, Wear, Kuzma, KCP and Caruso lineup… Ennis quickly in for KCP, Lakers down 1 after a minute… Lopez and Ingram in for Zubac and Caruso… Starters in with Ingram at PG instead of Ball up 6 with 5 minutes to go when Luke called a timeout… They pushed it to a 10-point lead and forced a timeout with a couple minutes left…
Christopher Walken
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

BOOM, first!
thanks DB.

Last edited by Christopher Walken on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Any win is a good win! go lakers!
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Very blatant tanking, but I guess I can't blame the Mavs. Bottom 2 - 7 is pretty close together, maybe just a couple of games.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! I hope your back and neck are feeling better!

I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day!

Hope Lonzo's OK. Just a bruise? Hope so.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hart out there soon!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't think I've seen another team double Randle, or almost anyone this season, as much or as hard as they did this game. You don't really see hard doubles these days... you do see what I would call soft doubles as part of the hybrid zone defenses teams use now. However, there were many occasions tonight where Randle got the ball and the game plan was to get the ball out of his hands. I'm not sure how effective that was, but I will say that as the doubles stopped, that's when Randle's scoring picked up and we made our come back. Maybe the game wouldn't have been as close had the Mavs not doubled him as they did in the first half and first part of the 3rd, and maybe the game would have been even closer had they continued with it in the 4th quarter.

It still shows how Randle still can work on his recognition a bit. He should have had a lot more assists this game, but he didn't on many occasions simply because it took him too long to recognize the double and determine what the right pass was.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

+1 on the entire post.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. The Lakers clearly didn’t have it tonight...good thing it was against the blatant tanking mavs. I’ll take #33, on to the Bucks who will be flying in from Oakland, back to back situation.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB and hope you are feeling better.

Nice to see the young core minus Hart all play in the same game.

Kuzma has now been consistently good for a while now. Really nice to see him finish strong.

Randle just keeps going. 20/10 is now a hoe hum type of night.

BI is back did okay and hopefully can finish the season strong.

Hope Ball is okay as I had hope that he would get on a roll.

Maybe Hart comes back in the next game.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:

+1 on the entire post.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:47 am    Post subject:

Yep, thanks DB !!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject:

WIN!

Thanks, DB!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Glad that the great DB is now on the “Game day Decision” list!!

Julius (The Punisher) Randle provides us with a definite presence in the paint as he has learn to be effective against larger opponents, along with being here longer than Ball/Kuzma/BI and being healthy, that is greatly needed

Even with LBR and PG13 on the team next season, they will still need a definite low post presence in the paint offensively/defensively from somewhere and Lopez is a complimentary piece
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject:

Quick recovery DB and already back to form.

Pretty lackluster game. It seemed like the starters were jetlagged or exhausted due to playing extended minutes because of all the injuries. Luckily, the Mavs took the foot off the gas pedal in the 4th.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Thank you so much for all the hard work you put in!!!!!

Coach Wooden
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

For the record, Lakers games from SL to Finals are now synonymous with DB's T&R.

Glad you're back, manye.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: