2018 HOF Ballot

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: 2018 HOF Ballot

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/12/21/hall-of-fame-policy-change-puts-steve-nash-ray-allen-chauncey-billups-on-2018-ballot/

Quote:
Hall of Fame policy change puts Steve Nash, Ray Allen, Chauncey Billups on 2018 ballot

Jason Kidd was expected to headline the Basketball Hall of Fame’s 2018 class.

He’ll likely have company.

After recently reducing the waiting period for eligibility from five years to four years after retirement, the Hall of Fame dropped it to three years. That means the former NBA players who are 2018 first-time nominees are, in order of likelihood of enshrinement:

Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Ray Allen
Grant Hill
Chauncey Billups
Bob Dandridge
Richard Hamilton
Kidd, Nash and Allen are locks. There will be time to celebrate their basketball accomplishments. It’s futile to debate their worthiness.

Hill makes an interesting case considering he was elite at his peak then, after all the injuries, still wound up playing more games than numerous Hall of Famers, including Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Jerry West and David Robinson. Hill’s late-career resurgence could add the necessary longevity for inclusion, though his prime might have been too short. The Hall of Fame will also consider his distinguished career at Duke. But I don’t care how a potential Hall of Famer played at a lower level.

Billups could be the rare Finals MVP not in or headed to the Hall of Fame. He made only one All-NBA second team, two All-NBA third teams and five All-Star teams. His peak just wasn’t quite high or long enough for me.

I’m not sure how Dandridge, who retired in 1982, suddenly got nominated for the first time. He had a nice career, but the Hall was fine for decades leaving him out. There’s no need to change that.

Hamilton made just three All-Star teams and no All-NBA teams. He was very good, but that’s not the same as Hall of Fame worthy.

That said, the Basketball Hall of Fame is convoluted, and it’s difficult to predict what it will do. To that end, here are NBA players who’ve been re-nominated, again in my projected order of likelihood of enshrinement:

Tim Hardaway
Maurice Cheeks
Ben Wallace
Sidney Moncrief
Chris Webber
Muggsy Bogues
Hardaway should get in, as well as maybe a few others. But Kidd, Allen and Nash will come first. The rest is up for discussion.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject:

^^^I think Grant Hill and Chris Webber should be in....both were elite for years.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^I think Grant Hill and Chris Webber should be in....both were elite for years.

agreed. actually would be great if they got in the same year given the history.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Kidd, Nash, and Allen make it. So does Mo Cheeks, who will be this year's WTF induction. I guess he somehow became HOF worthy over the last 25 years of being ignored.
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

HoF criteria question: obviously what they did in the nba, I know they take into account overseas careers as well. That said, do they take into account a college career also?

For example, Grant Hill. On his NBA career alone, borderline HoFer. Add in his Duke days, I think that should put him over the top. Same for Pau, but with his international career.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

PartyMan wrote:
HoF criteria question: obviously what they did in the nba, I know they take into account overseas careers as well. That said, do they take into account a college career also?

For example, Grant Hill. On his NBA career alone, borderline HoFer. Add in his Duke days, I think that should put him over the top. Same for Pau, but with his international career.

The Hall covers professional, international, and college careers, but no one really knows what they take into account when it comes to particular inductees. The Hall is mysterious about its induction process. It has a bunch of different committees that can put people in, but it doesn't say who is on the committee or how they voted.

If Hill gets voted in some people will guess that the Hall took into consideration both his college and pro career, but it's really just a guess. Would Pau get in for his NBA career if he had no international resume? People will debate this, but there's no way of ever knowing because the Hall voters never give the reasoning for their votes, as, say, the baseball hall of fame voters often do.

Cheeks might have gotten in after 25 years for no other reason than a committee changed and added some of his former teammates who lobbied for him. I get the impression that the basketball hall is very political with a lot of logrolling.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

My prior post had an error. I wrote Nash, Kidd, and Allen, but it should have been Nash, Kidd, and Hill. Grant did make it. Apparently Allen did not make it, but there has been no official announcement.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
My prior post had an error. I wrote Nash, Kidd, and Allen, but it should have been Nash, Kidd, and Hill. Grant did make it. Apparently Allen did not make it, but there has been no official announcement.

I'm surprised. I thought Ray Allen would be a first ballot lock
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Ray Allen didn't officially retire until recently right?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

"After recently reducing the waiting period for eligibility from five years to four years after retirement, the Hall of Fame dropped it to three years."

From the article you linked . Think Jesus Shuttlesworth retired after 2014 right?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
PartyMan wrote:

The Hall covers professional, international, and college careers, but no one really knows what they take into account when it comes to particular inductees. The Hall is mysterious about its induction process. It has a bunch of different committees that can put people in, but it doesn't say who is on the committee or how they voted.

If Hill gets voted in some people will guess that the Hall took into consideration both his college and pro career, but it's really just a guess. Would Pau get in for his NBA career if he had no international resume? People will debate this, but there's no way of ever knowing because the Hall voters never give the reasoning for their votes, as, say, the baseball hall of fame voters often do.

Cheeks might have gotten in after 25 years for no other reason than a committee changed and added some of his former teammates who lobbied for him. I get the impression that the basketball hall is very political with a lot of logrolling.

Yes. There will always be the automatic guys, but I definitely think Hall induction is becoming more and more about guys getting their buddies in.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:

It doesn't matter when or if a player declares he's retired; he's eligible as soon as three years pass without him playing a game, and Allen has played since 2013-14.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Awaiting Adam Morrison's induction.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

3 years removed seems like so little time. What's the rush?
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

I think Chris Webber is stunned. I remember an open court panel a few years ago where the players present were discussing the 10 day best players not on the Top 50 players list that was made a little over 20 years ago. Reggie Miller took himself out of consideration, rightly so of course. Webber, on the other hand, truly felt that he should be part of this next 10. For him, to not be elected in his first 2 opportunities is a bit of a gut punch for him.

Personally, I think he should be in the HOF. Whether he should have been in on the first or second ballot is tough to determine since the basketball HOF is so weird.

Last edited by Vishnu on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
Yes. There will always be the automatic guys, but I definitely think Hall induction is becoming more and more about guys getting their buddies in.

It seems like we get one of these legacy inductees every year or two: Cheeks, Jo Jo White, George McGinnis, Jamaal Wilkes, and so forth. I can't say that any of them have been outright undeserving, but why are these guys getting in 25 years later? There must be some sort of official or unofficial veterans committee in the process.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bol wrote:

It seems like we get one of these legacy inductees every year or two: Cheeks, Jo Jo White, George McGinnis, Jamaal Wilkes, and so forth. I can't say that any of them have been outright undeserving, but why are these guys getting in 25 years later? There must be some sort of official or unofficial veterans committee in the process.

They open the floodgates and let in pretty much every borderline candidate. The new border line is probably guys like Tim Hardaway and Jack sikma
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bol wrote:

They open the floodgates and let in pretty much every borderline candidate. The new border line is probably guys like Tim Hardaway and Jack sikma

I have always thought the Baseball HOF was overly selective with their arbitrary barriers, but I do agree the basketball hof does often seem like the threshold is lower than it should be.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Ray Allen made it after all.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Steve Nash was my favorite non-Laker growing up.

Just imagine if he actually played with the Lakers while Kobe was on the team
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/22/at-hall-of-fame-reggie-miller-will-present-ray-allen-gary-payton-will-present-jason-kidd/

Quote:
At Hall of Fame, Reggie Miller will present Ray Allen, Gary Payton will present Jason Kidd

On Sept. 7, the NBA world will gather in Springfield, Mass., for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony. It’s an impressive class with Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, Dino Radja, and Ray Allen, among others.

Now we are starting to learn who will present some of those stars as they enter the Hall.

Dwain Price

@DwainPrice
At the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on Sept. 8 in Springfield, MA, former #Mavs coach Don Nelson will present Steve Nash, and Gary Payton will present Jason Kidd. @dallasmavs

1:29 PM - Aug 22, 2018 · Plano, TX
See Dwain Price's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Scott Agness

@ScottAgness
Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony set for Fri., Sept 7th.

Larry Bird will present Dino Radja, a former Celtic.

Reggie Miller will present Ray Allen.

2:25 PM - Aug 22, 2018
See Scott Agness's other Tweets
Twitter Ads info and privacy
I love that Reggie is welcoming in the guy who topped his three-point record. (Does this mean Allen has to welcome in Stephen Curry some day?)

Larry Bird and Don Nelson? That’s some star power.

Also being inducted this year are Maurice Cheeks, women players are Tina Thompson, Katie Smith and Ora Mae Washington, executives Rick Welts and Rod Thorn, and coach Lefty Driesell. (Remember this is not an NBA Hall of Fame, it covers the entire sport. There should be an NBA one, but that’s another discussion.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: