2018 LA Angels Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm always going to bleed Dodger blue above all else in baseball, but I'm not ashamed to root for the Angels as well. They have a pretty solid history, even if they were star-crossed for so many years before finally winning a championship. And unlike, say, the Clippers, they had a beloved owner who was trying his best to bring a winner to the fans, in Gene Autry.

The reason I don't root for the Ducks any longer isn't because the Kings are my favorite team in sports, but it's because the Ducks have a bunch of detestable weasely players. I don't view the Angels like that at all.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I'm always going to bleed Dodger blue above all else in baseball, but I'm not ashamed to root for the Angels as well. They have a pretty solid history, even if they were star-crossed for so many years before finally winning a championship. And unlike, say, the Clippers, they had a beloved owner who was trying his best to bring a winner to the fans, in Gene Autry.

The reason I don't root for the Ducks any longer isn't because the Kings are my favorite team in sports, but it's because the Ducks have a bunch of detestable weasely players. I don't view the Angels like that at all.

Pretty much the way I feel. Plus it helped that in their WS win they denied Roider Bonds and the Vagiants. Ducks once had one of the classiest guys in all of hockey in Teemu Selanne. Perry and Kesler are on the opposite scale....

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

If the Angels ever build a new stadium, I would like to see them incorporate the facade of the old Wrigley Field (Los Angeles) into the new stadium.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Pretty much the way I feel. Plus it helped that in their WS win they denied Roider Bonds and the Vagiants. Ducks once had one of the classiest guys in all of hockey in Teemu Selanne. Perry and Kesler are on the opposite scale....

All facts. Teemu was the man.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If the Angels ever build a new stadium, I would like to see them incorporate the facade of the old Wrigley Field (Los Angeles) into the new stadium.

Good luck with Arte Moreno, he's a bit of a penny pincher. But that is a great idea.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Teemu is my favorite hockey player ever that never wore a Kings jersey. I became a fan of his during his magical rookie year with the Winnipeg Jets. Then when he became a Duck, I got to see him play all the time on TV, and besides being a great player, the man is all class. I was there at Honda Center for Game 7 when the Kings beat the Ducks in 2014, Teemu's last game, and it was an incredible sight to behold, when even the Kings stayed to pay their respects and when the crowd was on its feet for several minutes; remember, the building was packed with probably 65-70% Kings fans for that game.

As was noted above, now the Ducks have Perry and Kesler and even Getzlaf is a whiny yapper.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Teemu is my favorite hockey player ever that never wore a Kings jersey. I became a fan of his during his magical rookie year with the Winnipeg Jets. Then when he became a Duck, I got to see him play all the time on TV, and besides being a great player, the man is all class. I was there at Honda Center for Game 7 when the Kings beat the Ducks in 2014, Teemu's last game, and it was an incredible sight to behold, when even the Kings stayed to pay their respects and when the crowd was on its feet for several minutes; remember, the building was packed with probably 65-70% Kings fans for that game.

As was noted above, now the Ducks have Perry and Kesler and even Getzlaf is a whiny yapper.

Visit his restaurant. If he's there, he's possibly the most generous host you'll ever come across. You'd almost forget that he's a bonafide Hall of Famer. If I had more money, I'd eat there more often.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Visit his restaurant. If he's there, he's possibly the most generous host you'll ever come across. You'd almost forget that he's a bonafide Hall of Famer. If I had more money, I'd eat there more often.

Another reason I love Teemu is that he plays tennis. I have a good friend whose brother just recently got to play with him, and showed me the picture to prove it. I was pretty jealous.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Good luck with Arte Moreno, he's a bit of a penny pincher. But that is a great idea.

Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson, and Gary Matthews Jr. respectfully disagree.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, C.J. Wilson, and Gary Matthews Jr. respectfully disagree.

Yeah, I don't think Arte Moreno is cheap.....the problem is the front office gave too much money to guys whose best years were behind them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He's also refused to go into the luxury tax for years, even when clear upgrades around Trout were needed. Even this year, though they've definitely improved the team, the starting rotation is full of major question marks, every single one of them. Even Ohtani is pitching with a partially torn UCL, though they got him for so little money that it's a win for the organization no matter what. But if they were doing everything in their power to win, they would have signed a pitcher that is a good bet to pitch 180+ innings. Shoemaker is already hurt and if something happens to Richards, their rotation is probably F'd.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Ohtani 3 run bomb in his first home AB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Ohtani 3 run bomb in his first home AB

Just saw that. I am flipping between the Angel game, the Laker game, and I have the Dodger game on my laptop. That was a towering shot.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Impressive.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Remember those scouts that said he wasn't ready for the majors? Yeah.....
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He's also refused to go into the luxury tax for years, even when clear upgrades around Trout were needed. Even this year, though they've definitely improved the team, the starting rotation is full of major question marks, every single one of them. Even Ohtani is pitching with a partially torn UCL, though they got him for so little money that it's a win for the organization no matter what. But if they were doing everything in their power to win, they would have signed a pitcher that is a good bet to pitch 180+ innings. Shoemaker is already hurt and if something happens to Richards, their rotation is probably F'd.

Moreno was extravagant in the beginning but spent his money foolishly. Now that they actually have a superstar to build around, he suddenly tightens the purse-strings. Granted they still have the albatross contracts to work out but you gotta believe there's still enough leeway to get an actual starter. Richards is too glass, same with Shoemaker, Heaney, and Skaggs. Ohtani is a mystery. An innings eater like Lynn could've been had.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Moreno was extravagant in the beginning but spent his money foolishly. Now that they actually have a superstar to build around, he suddenly tightens the purse-strings. Granted they still have the albatross contracts to work out but you gotta believe there's still enough leeway to get an actual starter. Richards is too glass, same with Shoemaker, Heaney, and Skaggs. Ohtani is a mystery. An innings eater like Lynn could've been had.

And Shoemaker is already hurt again, possibly seriously, since it's the forearm. This is a big if, but if Richards and Ohtani can stay healthy and if they can get into the postseason, that would be a pretty decent 1-2 punch atop the rotation. But I question whether or not the Angel starters will be able to pitch enough innings, and that was always my biggest worry with them. They will have a decent offense and a great defense. The bullpen could still be an issue, especially if Parker doesn't get his issues ironed out, but in general I think they can be OK there. It's probably going to come down to the rotation.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think Arte Moreno is cheap.....the problem is the front office gave too much money to guys whose best years were behind them.

Ya lets quote signings 5 years old (and 6 in the case of GMJ) to prove a point
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

This

But lets all pause and revel in Ohtaniland for a night. Man he looked good!
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

First player since Babe Ruth to win a game pitching and then hit a home run in consecutive games
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

And Shoemaker is already hurt again, possibly seriously, since it's the forearm. This is a big if, but if Richards and Ohtani can stay healthy and if they can get into the postseason, that would be a pretty decent 1-2 punch atop the rotation. But I question whether or not the Angel starters will be able to pitch enough innings, and that was always my biggest worry with them. They will have a decent offense and a great defense. The bullpen could still be an issue, especially if Parker doesn't get his issues ironed out, but in general I think they can be OK there. It's probably going to come down to the rotation.

I agree with this.

I don't argue that Arte spent his money poorly. But it's hard to say someone is cheap when he dishes out multiple 5 and 6 figure contracts in a relatively short period of time.

The reason he went cheap afterwards is because he knew he dug himself in a hole. Hindsight is 20-20.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Got HR #2 today.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Makes me wonder if he was just studying the pitchers during spring training and sandbagging.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Makes me wonder if he was just studying the pitchers during spring training and sandbagging.

I don’t watch a ton of baseball but dude looks like he has a really smooth swing. Esp for a pitcher.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: