Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets

Hey all,

Here's my latest at @BleacherReport Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767422-los-angeles-lakers-top-2018-free-agency-and-nba-draft-targets

Cheers,

EP
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks emplay

How many wins next year if we get LeBron and PG?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

Your article just reminded me I went to the last playoff game the Lakers played (which was an epic Dwight meltdown game). It has been so long I hadnt even remembered.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Your article just reminded me I went to the last playoff game the Lakers played (which was an epic Dwight meltdown game). It has been so long I hadnt even remembered.

The last playoff appearance will be a forgone conclusion if we get star FAs and we end up becoming a dynasty these last few years will be forgotten if we have a great summer.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Man you are up on your game; keep up the good work!

Good stuff
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Will Derrick Favors be a possible target if Lopez bolts in FA?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Man, Im starting to think if Dallas offers Randle a max offer sheet, we should match it.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Man, Im starting to think if Dallas offers Randle a max offer sheet, we should match it.

Julius is playing at an all star level and is our best player. We should keep him end of story.

There is no way we should not match any offer Julius gets. At a minimum we should work out a sign and trade. Dallas’s top pick would be a good consolation prize but only if we are assured of signing PG and Lebron.

Even with that said I am for trading Deng even if it costs the Cleveland 1st rounder and Hart so that we can keep JR with PG and Lebron.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

My stance is still this: I want George, not Lebron.

Yes Lebron is still playing great ball at 33 but Father Time is undefeated and I really don’t want us gutting our roster to appease him 1 year at a time till he leaves or retires.

Our biggest problem this year (aside from questionable coaching mistakes) has been - we suck at closing quarters/games. PG13 has experience and can be that leader/closer for us.

Get George. Get a C that isn’t a corpse, and get us some guts who can shoot the 3 and make free-throws (hell even Deng could help is there)

FA who can rebound / Zubac
Randle / Kuzma
Ingram / 3&D FA
George / Hart
Ball / Veteran shooter FA

We can easily compete for 6th with a roster like that. Then 2019 bring in Klay
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
My stance is still this: I want George, not Lebron.

Yes Lebron is still playing great ball at 33 but Father Time is undefeated and I really don’t want us gutting our roster to appease him 1 year at a time till he leaves or retires.

Our biggest problem this year (aside from questionable coaching mistakes) has been - we suck at closing quarters/games. PG13 has experience and can be that leader/closer for us.

Get George. Get a C that isn’t a corpse, and get us some guts who can shoot the 3 and make free-throws (hell even Deng could help is there)

FA who can rebound / Zubac
Randle / Kuzma
Ingram / 3&D FA
George / Hart
Ball / Veteran shooter FA

We can easily compete for 6th with a roster like that. Then 2019 bring in Klay

I'm with you on this one.

Let PG and Randle be our two stars next season. Add one/two more solid second-tier vet(s) to the wing and/or C. Let BI, Lonzo, Kuzma and the rest grow into their roles. In a season or two BI and Kuzma might well be star players themselves. This team has nice chemistry going. Build on it.

And then see what happens in the 2019 free agency.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject:

So what I am wondering right now, would you trade Randle and this years first round draft pick to SA for Kawhi??

Sounds like he is going to bail. Things are not good there, something has to give.

Assuming he is good to go, is this a trade both sides should consider?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Cavs pick? Taken in June when they can't negotiate until July?

Also Kawhi going to get more imo than Randle
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
So what I am wondering right now, would you trade Randle and this years first round draft pick to SA for Kawhi??

Sounds like he is going to bail. Things are not good there, something has to give.

Assuming he is good to go, is this a trade both sides should consider?

Three sides, the third being Randle.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Cavs pick? Taken in June when they can't negotiate until July?

Also Kawhi going to get more imo than Randle

But he will have some say won't he? What if he pulls the LA or bust, and say he won't sign anywhere else they trade him?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't matter - the timing doesn't work - the pick is made in June - they can't negotiate with Randle until July. If you want a future pick, sure but that pick, no.

And Lakers aren't going to be able to draft for the Spurs because there won't be a deal ahead of July
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
Doesn't matter - the timing doesn't work - the pick is made in June - they can't negotiate with Randle until July. If you want a future pick, sure but that pick, no.

And Lakers aren't going to be able to draft for the Spurs because there won't be a deal ahead of July

OK, darn was not thinking too deeply about it.
SGVL1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:

Sorry but heeeeeeeeeeeeck no.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets

emplay wrote:
Hey all,

Here's my latest at @BleacherReport Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2767422-los-angeles-lakers-top-2018-free-agency-and-nba-draft-targets

Cheers,

EP

Hey Eric, in the article you mentioned 63.5 million in cap space if we stretch Deng and renounce free agents/non-guaranteed contracts, but does that number include Randle's 12.4 million cap hold or is it assuming we renounce him as well to have that cap space?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

No space for Randle if they sign PG/LBJ and stretch Deng - need to trade Deng to keep Randel and get those 2. Math shifts if it's not LBJ obviously
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
No space for Randle if they sign PG/LBJ and stretch Deng - need to trade Deng to keep Randel and get those 2. Math shifts if it's not LBJ obviously
What are your thoughts on who the Lakers should sign with the room exception?
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Lopez
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Successful off-season:

Sign PG13
Re-sign Randle
Re-sign Lopez to room exception

also offer 1 year deal to Thomas, similar to the KCP deal.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
Successful off-season:

Sign PG13
Re-sign Randle
Re-sign Lopez to room exception

also offer 1 year deal to Thomas, similar to the KCP deal.

These are my thoughts as well. Keep our young core together and let them develop. I think Kuz will be an all star in a few years and Ingram could be there too. We just need to sign PG13 or a closer to help us win those close games, keep Randle, and keep Lopez.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

If Randle would accept a sign-and-trade to the Spurs, I wonder if a trade of BI and Randle for Kawhi works for both sides. I'm assuming Randle would get roughly $15MM per year, somewhere in that ballpark. And I'm assuming that the Lakers would only consider this if they signed both LeBron and PG, thus creating an immediate 3-4 year window for a championship run IMO. If the Lakers trade Deng with no money coming back, they would have the ability to not only sign both LeBron and PG, but to also keep Randle's cap hold on the books. At that point, I believe they could trade BI and Randle for Kawhi (again, so long as Randle agrees to it).

I believe 100% that the Lakers' top goal is to sign LeBron and PG this offseason. If that's the case and if they can pull that off, keep in mind that there's really no other way to add Kawhi to those 2 players without pulling it off this summer or during next season, when Kawhi's salary is still around $20MM. I don't see how they could add him onto their books in the summer of 2019 when he'll get getting more than $30MM.

As for why Randle might agree to such a deal, I have a few thoughts on the matter. We've seen the previously reported Dallas interest in him, and to me, the Spurs make a lot more sense. Not only is San Antonio also in Randle's home state of Texas, but it's a better team, a better organization, with better pieces, and with an all-time great coach. A coach who has spoken effusively of Randle in the past, by the way. If he goes there, he's not starting from scratch again with a horrible team, like Dallas is. If he goes there along with Ingram, he'll be a part of a re-tooling, but not a rebuilding. There's no state income tax there, so $15MM annually there is worth a little bit more than it would be here.

And there's also the Blake Griffin factor. The Lakers still control Randle's RFA rights, and can match any offer. Yes, he could potentially screw up the Lakers' summer plans by signing an offer sheet. But I could see Aaron Mintz selling him on this, as a place where he has a better chance to star (since his role would be relegated here on a team with LeBron and PG), and Mintz might remind him that the Lakers could just match an offer and then trade him after December 15 to a location where he really doesn't want to be...a la the Clippers shipping Griffin to Detroit. If the money were fair to he and Mintz, I could really see this happening, at least rationally speaking. And from the Spurs' perspective, they would be trading one year of Kawhi for what amounts to ten, count 'em, ten years of BI and Randle, with the logic being that once Ingram hits RFA in 2 years, you can basically control keeping him for 4 more years after that. Unless Boston is offering Tatum, I don't think another team would offer as much, especially if Kawhi tried to steer his way here, like I believe PG was trying to do last summer.

Please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong logistically, but I believe this scenario is at least theoretically possible.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject:

If we do keep the pick, Aaron Holiday would be a great choice. That could be a cheaper option than re-signing IT, plus the benefits of having him on a rookie contract.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: