2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Corey Liuget suspended four games for PED violation.

Dolphins sign Brock Osweiler to a 1 year deal. I guess it's time for the team to become the Miami Broncphins.

Panthers sign ex-Giants CB Ross Cockrell. I think that's a good move. He's a solid #2 CB.

Eagles sign WR Mike Wallace to replace Torrey Smith as the aging speedster role.

Aldon Smith gets arrested again....

If the Chargers do take Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne at #17, I could see them cutting Liuget.

I have a feeling the Dolphins are going to be bad again, and it's almost like Gase knows it, and I think they are going to take a QB with their 1st pick.

I love the Eagles' move to get Wallace, who is a lot better than Torrey Smith. Now they don't even necessarily need Mack Hollins to emerge, and he might anyway.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Dolphins sign Brock Osweiler to a 1 year deal. I guess it's time for the team to become the Miami Broncphins.

Panthers sign ex-Giants CB Ross Cockrell. I think that's a good move. He's a solid #2 CB.

Eagles sign WR Mike Wallace to replace Torrey Smith as the aging speedster role.

If the Chargers do take Vita Vea or Da'Ron Payne at #17, I could see them cutting Liuget.

I have a feeling the Dolphins are going to be bad again, and it's almost like Gase knows it, and I think they are going to take a QB with their 1st pick.

I love the Eagles' move to get Wallace, who is a lot better than Torrey Smith. Now they don't even necessarily need Mack Hollins to emerge, and he might anyway.

I think that's a strong possibility. It'd open up 6 mil in cap space, and would only be 3 mil in dead $$. Plus, in addition to the fact that they'll probably prioritize interior DL in the draft, you could make the case Darius Philon has been better than Liuget as of late anyways.

He's been a good player for most of his career, but cutting him almost makes too much sense
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:

The only thing that would make it funnier is if Manning came out of retirement to replace Osweiler.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject:

https://www.inc.com/darren-heitner/how-peyton-mannings-decision-to-sign-with-broncos-led-to-a-sports-ticket-startup.html

Quote:
How Peyton Manning Signing with the Broncos Led to the Creation of a Sports Ticket Startup
Sam Sherman's Broker Genius is projected to price over $1 billion worth of tickets in 2018.

6 years ago, Sam Sherman came up with the idea for Broker Genius right around the time that Peyton Manning was deciding which team he would play for next. Sherman's gut told him that Manning was going to play for the Broncos. He made some calls to determine what ticket inventory he could buy, trying to position himself ahead of the coming demand. But the only tickets left were pricey premium club seats.

Once Sherman discovered that it was just about a done deal that Manning was headed to the Broncos, he maxed out his credit cards by buying those Broncos club seats. It turned out to be a wise move, as Sherman sold those tickets for high profits.

Noticing inefficiencies with ticket pricing through the Manning scenario and thereafter, Sherman decided to create an automated ticket pricing tool that takes into account variables like market size, weather and standings to predict the optimal value of a ticket before it goes to market. I recently spoke to Sherman about that startup and how it has grown to date.

Who are the clients of the company and what is the structure of the relationship?

​Sherman: Our clients are our ticker resellers (ticket brokers). We have 2 different offerings. One is our license product that they can use to set pricing rules to automatically adjust their prices. The other is a full service pricing solution where our team of pricing analysts manage their pricing for them.

WATCH VIDEO
Want to Be a Better Leader? Listen to These Podcasts
More:
Need a Vacation? Here Are 3 Simple Steps to Make Your Next Trip Tax Deductible
7 Healthy Sounding Articles that Normalize Being Unhealthy
Disney InstituteView
How Disney Leaders Motivate Their Teams
The 5 Rules of Effective Collaboration
Want a 300 Percent Return on Investment? Try This Problem-Solving Practice
What were and are the difficulties in breaking into the hyper-competitive secondary ticket marketplace?

​​Sherman: When we first introduced the concept of dynamic auto pricing back in 2013, many brokers were afraid that it would cause the markets to crash. They all wanted the technology if they could be the only ones to have it. In addition to their initial fears, the marketplaces we were using to power our technology were not giving us API access. That meant we had to scrape, which caused the product to constantly get shut down in the early days. It was a huge uphill battle until we became an integral part of brokers' businesses.

What are the biggest challenges that ticket sellers face in the near future?

Sherman: ​​Content rights holders are rethinking their approach to pricing as well as how they want to handle distribution. With more consolidation, brokers will need to be able to find other ways to source inventory. They will also need to have more powerful and rich data tools to better understand risk.

How much revenue is Broker Genius receiving on an annual basis? What are its projections?

​Sherman: We would want to keep this information private; however, we are projected to price over $1 billion worth of tickets in 2018, and our clients represent over $2 billion of tickets sold per year.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Likely, but I dunno if Vea would drop to #17.

They've been making a lot of moves towards Mayfield. I prefer Rosen but unless Kiper is a genius (which he isn't) or if we don't trade up, Mayfield's the likely one to fall there.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Former Rams/Bills CB EJ Gaines signs a 1 year deal with the Browns.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/23/broncos-evan-mathis-mickey-mantle-card-auction/

Quote:
Former Broncos G Evan Mathis is auctioning off a 1952 Mickey Mantle card that will smash sales records
Heritage Auctions believes Mathis’ card could get $3.5 million. A Colorado collector belives he could get much more.

More than a year after retiring from the NFL, former Broncos guard Evan Mathis is on the brink of landing a big pay day.

An avid memorabilia collector, Mathis is selling a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA Mint 9 card through Heritage Auctions’ inaugural Sports Card Auction. Heritage estimates the card to be worth $3.5 million, which would set a record for the most expensive price ever paid at auction for a baseball card. The current record is $3.12 million, for Honus Wagner’s 1909-11 T206 that sold in 2016.

A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA Mint 9 owned by former Broncos guard Evan Mathis.

“Since the last auction offering of a PSA Mint 9 example over 10 years ago, the 1952 Topps Mantle rookie card has exploded in popularity and identified itself as the hobby’s ultimate blue chip stock,” said Chris Ivy, the director of Sports Auctions at Heritage, said in a release.

But Marshall Fogel, a memorabilia collector in Colorado whose collection will be unveiled at the Colorado History Museum in April, believes Mathis’ 1952 Mantle card is worth even more.

“Over $5 million. Easy,” Fogel said. “A ’52 Mantle card by Topps baseball company is a second-year card of Mickey Mantle. The first-year card is not as beautiful, nor is it as desirable, though it is important. It’s made by a different company and it more looks like a painting than a photograph. The ’52 Mantle is the King of King cards. If it’s a 9 or a 10 (grade), you’ve got something that is investment quality and it’s very desirable.

“That’s a big deal that sale.”

Though the 1952 Mantle card itself isn’t rare, Fogel said, finding one in perfect condition is like “finding a diamond in the rough.”

“You can have 10,000 Mantle cards, but to find the Holy Grail — 80 years and in perfect condition?” Fogel said. “It’s not a 10, but it’s a 9.”

Fogel does have the Holy Grail: a grade 10 1952 Mantle card that he’s been asked to sell many times. The value?

“I can tell you this,” he said, “It’s worth a lot of money.”

When Mathis likely sets a an auction record for his card, he’ll also be the first consignor at Heritage Auctions to accept cryptocurrency as payment. The auction will close through online extended bidding on April 19 at 9 p.m. MT.

Mathis joined the Broncos for their Super Bowl 50 season and played all 16 regular-season games, starting 12. In his 10 previous seasons, Mathis spent time Carolina, Cincinnati, Miami and Philadelphia. Following one year in Denver, Mathis headed to Arizona where he finished out his career. He announced his retirement from the NFL in January 2017.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/25/bill-belichick-talked-josh-mcdaniels-into-staying/

Quote:
Bill Belichick talked Josh McDaniels into staying

Bill Belichick did not have a detailed discussion with Josh McDaniels about his future until after the Super Bowl, the Patriots head coach said Sunday.

“Once that game ended, I think that really gave Josh and I a chance to sit down and talk more directly about the situation, as opposed to, ‘We really want to talk about the game and what we need to do to try to compete in that game.’ That’s basically what happened,” Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPN. “Before the game, I’d say we had minimal discussions. I’d say we had much deeper and longer and more in-depth and more constructive discussions immediately after the game.”

McDaniels backed out of his commitment to become the Colts’ head coach after the team announced his hiring. He opted instead to stay in New England as the Patriots’ offensive coordinator.

“[When] we got back from Minnesota, I had an opportunity to talk to Josh, and we were able to work some things out,” Belichick said. “I’m thrilled he’s still with us and is going to continue in his role. I think he’s a top offensive coordinator in the league. He’s done a great job for me for a long time in a lot of different roles. I’m very glad, based on the meeting we had — there were a number of things that happened — that we were able to work that out and keep him with us.”
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

Jets rescind their offer to Suh which was reported to be the largest in terms of money. Rumors are Rams are the frontrunners.

Quote:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
From @GMFB, on the Ndamukong Suh free agency: The #Rams appear to be the front-runner for his services. Suh hasn’t ruled the #Titans or #Saints out, and those close to him say he’s still open-minded. But Los Angeles has emerged as the team to beat in his protracted saga.

rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Jets rescind their offer to Suh which was reported to be the largest in terms of money. Rumors are Rams are the frontrunners.

Quote:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
From @GMFB, on the Ndamukong Suh free agency: The #Rams appear to be the front-runner for his services. Suh hasn’t ruled the #Titans or #Saints out, and those close to him say he’s still open-minded. But Los Angeles has emerged as the team to beat in his protracted saga.

Titans can offer more and have the benefit of his former position coach (plus less taxes). Let's not forget they advanced further in the playoffs than the Rams did.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22933185/seattle-seahawks-release-trevone-boykin-wake-report?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks have released backup quarterback Trevone Boykin in the wake of a report that he's under investigation for alleged domestic violence.

The Seahawks announced Boykin's release Tuesday morning. The move came less than two hours after WFAA-TV in Dallas reported on its website that police in Mansfield, Texas are investigating Boykin following allegations from his girlfriend, Shabrika Bailey.

The woman told WFAA that Boykin attempted to choke her and broke her jaw in two places during an incident that occurred at his home last week. She said she blacked out while Boykin was attempting to choke her and then came to in a "puddle of blood on the kitchen floor."

The woman said Boykin drove her to Dallas Regional Medical Center in Mesquite, Texas and that he fled when hospital staff began questioning the two separately. The woman was airlifted to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas for further treatment because she was having trouble breathing and spent three days there, according to the report.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/29/bears-matriarch-a-big-fan-of-sister-jean/#comments

Quote:
Bears matriarch a big fan of Sister Jean

Chicago’s nonagenarian sports icons don’t know each other personally, but there’s clearly some respect.

Bears owner Virginia McCaskey, 95, is a huge fan of Loyola-Chicago’s 98-year-old Sister Jean Dolores Schmidt, and has made it a point to alter her schedule to keep up with the college basketball sensation.

Via Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune, McCaskey’s son George said his mother changed her dinner plans Sunday at the owners meetings so she could see Loyola’s unlikely advance to the Final Four with a win over Kansas State.

“I said, ‘Mom, dinner is at 5:30,’” George McCaskey said. “And she said, ‘Hmmm, tip off is at 6:09, so I think I’m going to get room service.”

There’s a campus recreation center at Loyola named after George Halas Jr. (Virginia McCaskey’s brother), but Virginia hasn’t met Sister Jean personally.

“Well, Mom is a little shier than Sister Jean is,” George joked. “I think she’d be happy to defer to Sister Jean.”
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

He's not wrong but I remember him ditching the Colts interview because he didn't want to be here(for that I thank him)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/31/ryan-leaf-top-qb-should-pull-an-eli-manning-to-avoid-the-browns/

Quote:
Ryan Leaf: Top QB should pull an Eli Manning to avoid the Browns

Ryan Leaf knows something about being a draft bust, and he thinks the key to avoid being a bust is to avoid going to the wrong place. And in Leaf’s mind, that means avoiding Cleveland.

Leaf said on FS1 that he would urge a top quarterback like USC’s Sam Darnold to tell his agent, “We can’t end up in Cleveland,” and then figure out a way to keep the Browns from drafting him first overall.

“I don’t want anybody to be a bust,” Leaf said. “I want them to be successful. And there is no evidence to show me that Cleveland is going to be successful. It’s a place where quarterbacks go to die. How many quarterbacks — 27 quarterbacks in the last 10 years? If I were Sam Darnold and I have this leverage right now and I know I’m going to be the first pick in the NFL Draft, I’m going to my agent and saying, ‘Figure out a way for me to not to go Cleveland. Eli Manning this for me.’”

Leaf said John Elway with the Colts in 1983 and Eli Manning with the Chargers in 2004 had the right idea: Simply refuse to play for a team you don’t think will represent your best interests.

“Do something like John Elway or Eli Manning did,” Leaf said. “What if he plays five years there and is mediocre because they never win?”

There’s been no indication that Darnold, Josh Rosen, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield or any of the other top players in this year’s draft would actually go so far as declaring that they wouldn’t play for the Browns. But Leaf thinks they should.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/02/report-fox-now-wants-joe-buck-troy-aikman-to-handle-thursday-nights/

Quote:
Report: FOX now wants Joe Buck, Troy Aikman to handle Thursday nights

After trying and failing to hire Peyton Manning, FOX now wants to do on Thursday Night Football what CBS and NBC did previously: Give double duty to the network’s top Sunday crew.

That would be Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, whom FOX is asking to handle Thursday nights, according to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post.

It’s not clear yet whether Buck and Aikman will accept that offer. They’ll obviously want more money for more work, and they might object to the schedule. Buck, in particular, already has a busy schedule in the fall because he handles baseball postseason games for FOX. The network might need to give the pair some Sundays off to avoid burning them out.

FOX made a major five-year investment in Thursday nights and wants to find the right broadcast team. Other potential analysts whose names have surfaced include the recently retired Joe Thomas and Carson Palmer.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Never heard of Jared apparently... really Drew spending that much on jewelry?! He's making our alumnus look bad here..

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/03/drew-brees-filed-multi-million-dollar-jewelry-lawsuit/#comments

Quote:
Drew Brees filed multi-million-dollar jewelry lawsuit

Saints quarterback Drew Brees has made many millions on the football field. He’ll now try to make millions more in the courtroom.

Via TMZ, Brees has sued Vahid Moradi of CJ Charles Jewelry in San Diego. Brees claims that he has purchased roughly $15 million worth of jewelry, and that it was independently appraised at being worth $9 million less than the price Brees paid for the items.

One of the items — a diamond ring for which Brees paid $8.18 million — allegedly appraised for only $3.75 million.

Moradi’s lawyer contends that nothing improper occurred.

“Drew Brees aggressively purchased multi-million dollar pieces of jewelry,” Eric M. George told TMZ. “Years later, claiming to suffer ‘cash flow problems,’ he tried to bully my client into undoing the transactions. . . . Mr. Brees’s behavior and his belief that he was wronged because the jewelry did not appreciate in value as quickly as he hoped both demonstrate a lack of integrity and contradict basic principles of both economics and the law.”

Brees can spend his money however he sees fit, and if he regards jewelry as some sort of investment, that’s his prerogative. Given the manner in which jewelers routinely (and dramatically) mark up their merchandise, however, it’s probably a good idea to get the independent appraisal before buying it, not after.

That said, there’s a chance that Brees did, and there’s a chance that there’s a lot more to this story. Absent a settlement, it’s a story that we’ll know about every step of the way, since it will be playing out via public filings, hearings, and ultimately a trial.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject:

Another attempt by me to read tea leaves before the draft...

It's pretty obvious that the Bills want to trade up for a QB. I also think, as I've previously posted, that the Dolphins would really love to draft Baker Mayfield. Mayfield quite possibly won't last to #11, however, and the Dolphins have to know that the Bills are in good position to move up in front of them. Some reports have surfaced that the only QB the Giants really love is Darnold. If that's true, and if Darnold goes 1st, perhaps the Giants would feel compelled to trade with the Bills, who could offer both of their 1st round picks, and quite possibly more, to move up to #2. If the Bills moved up to #2, I don't think they would take Mayfield.

At that point, the Dolphins would have to hope that Denver didn't take Mayfield at 5. The Broncos have spent considerable time with Mayfield during this process, both at the Senior Bowl and elsewhere. Still, it might be hard for Denver to pass on Chubb or Nelson, if available.

You know Indy wouldn't take a QB at 6, but if the Bills haven't traded up yet, here's a spot where Chris Ballard could trade down yet again and continue the stockpiling...and if the Bills did move up to 6, and if Darnold/Rosen/Allen did all happen to be gone, it's possible that Mayfield could go there.

Basically, if Mayfield is considered to be the 4th-best QB, and if the top 3 all go before Denver at #5, and if Buffalo hasn't gotten a QB yet...Miami is probably SOL on Mayfield, assuming that Buffalo likes him more than, say, Lamar Jackson. But if Buffalo gets one of the top 3 QB's, and if Mayfield isn't taken by Denver at 5, and if Indy doesn't trade down, I think you could see Miami try to move up to the 7-10 range to secure Mayfield, knowing that another team could try to leapfrog them at 11 in pursuit of the same thing. And hey, maybe Buffalo does like Lamar Jackson more than Mayfield. You just never know. Which brings up another question: could the Dolphins just go ahead and take Lamar Jackson at 11 if Mayfield is already gone, assuming Miami couldn't trade up for him? I'm guessing that answer is no, based on the type of offense that Gase runs, but it's still fun to think about.

Damn, I love the NFL Draft.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

The NFL Draft is just over 3 weeks away, so why not take a stab at predicting how the first round will unfold? A lot of information will come out between now and draft day, so this will assuredly change, but here's my first draft (pun intended)...

1. Browns--Sam Darnold, QB, USC
I think it's down to Darnold or Josh Allen, and I'm sticking with my gut that the pick will be Darnold.

2. Bills--Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA
I hate projecting trades, but I'm doing it here. I just don't think the Giants are all-in on trying to win this season, as evidenced by the JPP trade, and if they only like Darnold among the QB's, I think the chance to get a bounty from the Bills is just too good to pass up. The Bills move up and have their choice of Rosen or Allen, and I'm going to guess that Rosen appeals to their regime slightly more than Allen.

3. Jets--Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming
Mike Maccagnan likes big, strong-armed QB's, and it's quite possible that Allen is the top QB on their board. This is a case where they wouldn't have to overthink anything.

4. Browns--Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn St.
It might be tempting to pair Myles Garrett with Bradley Chubb, so this pick likely comes down to those two players. You could make the argument that Chubb holds more value than Barkley, should both players hit, and I know the Browns signed Carlos Hyde and still have Duke Johnson. Still, Hyde is not a long-term solution, and I think that Barkley will give the Browns offense another dimension for the next 5-7 years. As the safest player in the draft, I just don't think the Browns pass on Barkley here.

5. Broncos--Quenton Nelson, OL, Notre Dame
Chubb could go here also, as the thought of him with Von Miller is intriguing. I'm also not 100% convinced that Miller will be with the Broncos in a year or two. Having said that, Nelson is the best offensive lineman in this class by a mile, and I believe that John Elway thinks that Denver can get back to the playoffs next season with Case Keenum and a strong defense. In order to do that, they need better offensive line play, and Garrett Bolles last season and Nelson with this pick will help immensely.

6. Colts--Bradley Chubb, DE, NC St.
If the draft falls like this, barring a team offering a king's ransom to try to move up, I think they would rush to the podium with the card for Chubb. He's the BPA and also a great fit. The Colts probably would have taken him at #3, before the trade with the Jets. They'll still need to get Andrew Luck some offensive line help, but they will have picks in the 2nd round to address that issue. Note that if the Broncos do opt for Chubb at 5, I think the Colts could take Nelson.

7. Buccaneers--Derwin James, S, Florida St.
I think this is a really interesting spot for the Bucs, if the draft falls this way in the top 6. I think we can rule out the top LB's here, so if they stay put, I think this pick is between the top safeties (James or Minkah Fitzpatrick), or whomever the Bucs deem to be the top CB. If TB thinks there isn't much of a difference between these players, I could absolutely see them trade down just a few spots if it means they could nab a 2019 1st rounder out of the deal. Along those lines, I could see a trade with the Dolphins here, so Miami secures Mayfield. However, I think TB really likes James, and will take him.

8. Bears--Tremaine Edmunds, LB, Virginia Tech
This could be another spot where Miami could try to trade up for sure, if the draft falls this way. It would make a lot of sense for Chicago to trade back to 11 if they could pick up Miami's 2019 1st rounder. In any case, if the Bears keep this pick, I think Edmunds would be a great fit for Vic Fangio's defense, and I think he's solidified his status as the draft's top linebacker.

9. 49ers--Denzel Ward, CB, Ohio St.
The Rams and 49ers could be in an arms race over the next couple of years for NFC West supremacy. As such, the 49ers might be thinking of players that could help thwart that Rams offense. Yes, they signed Richard Sherman, but he is not a long-term solution. They are woefully thin with their CB depth, and even though they could also use a top safety prospect like Fitzpatrick, my best guess is that they would prioritize the first CB taken in this draft, and I'm guessing it will be Ward.

10. Raiders--Vita Vea, DL, Washington
The Raiders desperately need a big body along their defensive line that can help with run defense and also get pressure into the backfield, and Vea fits the bill perfectly. Da'Ron Payne would make sense here too, but I think Vea might be rated a bit higher.

11. Dolphins--Baker Mayfield, QB, Miami
rwongega gets his guy! Seriously though, I feel like Miami probably will have to trade up between 7-10 to get him, but I think they will end up with him. Even if they have to give up their '19 1st rounder, I think Adam Gase really wants him.

12. Giants--Mike McGlinchey, OL, Notre Dame
This is from the projected trade with the Bills, and the first of 2 picks for the Giants in the 1st round. Dave Gettleman believes in building up the trenches. Yes, they signed Nate Solder to play left tackle. But Ereck Flowers has been an unmitigated disaster, and expecting him to play well at right tackle is not advisable. McGlinchey can immediate slide in at right tackle, and offer an insurance policy at left tackle in case Solder gets injured again.

13. Redskins--Minkah Fitzpatrick, S/CB, Alabama
The versatile Alabama DB should slot right into an important role in the Redskins secondary, and they could use the talent infusion. Josh Norman can't cover everyone by himself.

14. Packers--Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Already super-thin in their secondary, Green Bay went ahead and traded its best DB, Damarious Randall, to Cleveland this offseason. They almost have to take a CB here, and although Alexander dealt with injuries at Louisville, he had a stellar Combine, and I think his game tape and measurables will appeal to the win-now Packers.

15. Cardinals--Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville
Back-to-back Louisville players! As we all know, Sam Bradford is not a long-term answer. There are reports that some teams have Jackson as a top-2 QB in this class, and new coach Steve Wilks, though he's a defensive guy, is familiar with dual threat QB Cam Newton from his time with the Panthers. A potential backfield of Jackson and David Johnson would be explosive. If the Cards pass on Jackson here, I could see another team try to trade up for him somewhere in the next few picks.

16. Ravens--Da'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama
The Alabama-to-Baltimore pipeline strikes again. In this case, the Ravens nab a big-time defensive line prospect; he looked unstoppable during the College Football Playoff.

17. Chargers--Roquan Smith, LB, Georgia
While there might be some concerns about his shoulder, I was even more impressed with Smith during the CFP than I was with Payne. He's just everywhere on the field. The Chargers don't have anyone at linebacker that is even close to his level, and, if healthy, he would be a...wait for it...lightning bolt to their defense. I will also note that this could be a possible landing spot for Lamar Jackson if he's still on the board, with Rivers being 36 and not likely to play 3-4 more years.

18. Seahawks--Joshua Jackson, CB, Iowa
The Legion of Boom is no more, and there may not be a single member of it left after this coming season. They need to replenish their secondary, and the Iowa CB is a good place to start. They could choose to address their woeful offensive line instead, but there might not be an offensive lineman worthy of this selection, with a good CB available.

19. Cowboys--Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU
Dallas and Dez Bryant are headed for a divorce; it's just a matter of whether it's this season or next. Dez's separation skills and speed have been sapped as a result of his injuries, and the Cowboys simply have to add another dimension to their pass offense. Sutton is a big-bodied WR with good speed, and, once again, it can't be stressed enough how awful Dallas' pass-catchers were at creating separation last season.

20. Lions--Leighton Vander Esch, LB, Boise St.
This is a tough one to call. The Lions could use help at CB (of course they have Darius Slay, but Teez Tabor struggled as a rookie), TE (no more Eric Ebron), offensive line, and even RB. I'll guess that Matt Patricia would feel like Vander Esch is a good fit for his defense, as he can cover, tackle, and also disrupt the QB.

21. Bengals--Isaiah Wynn, OL, Georgia
Yes, Cincy traded for Cordy Glenn, but as pathetic as their O line was last season, more reinforcements are needed. Enter Wynn, another Georgia product who would be an immediate plug-and-play starter.

22. Giants--Marcus Davenport, DE/LB, UT-San Antonio
Davenport is a riser in the draft process, and the edge rusher could go a bit higher than this. With the second of their 1st round picks in the proposed trade with the Bills, and after taking McGlinchey, here the Giants take their JPP replacement.

23. Patriots--Rashaan Evans, LB, Alabama
While it's possible that the Pats could use this pick as part of a trade up for a QB or something else, they very well could use all these picks to replenish a defense that has been getting gashed of late against good offenses. They need pass rushers and linebackers, and Evans would fit the bill. As an added bonus, the Pats could be blocking the Steelers here, who have a clear need at linebacker in the wake of the unfortunate Ryan Shazier injury, and this is probably a player that they had their eyes on at #28.

24. Panthers--Harold Landry, DE/LB, Boston College
I considered a WR like Calvin Ridley or DJ Moore here, but the Panthers desperately need more pass rush, and Julius Peppers, while still good in a situational role, is obviously near the end. Landry lacks refinement in certain aspects, but the Boston College edge rusher can really get after the QB.

25. Titans--Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio St.
Hubbard is a talented Ohio State defensive end who underwhelmed at times for the Buckeyes, but there is no doubt about the upside he has. In connecting some dots, not only does this team have some aging edge rushers like Brian Arakpo, but new coach Mike Vrabel was a part of the Ohio State coaching staff when Hubbard was being recruited. Seems like a strong fit here.

26. Falcons--Taven Bryan, DL, Florida
A site that I put a lot of stock into for mock drafts has reported that the Falcons have their eye on defensive tackles with this pick, as it's a huge need for the team. Since Michigan's Maurice Hurst was sent home from the Combine due to a heart condition that came up, Bryan might be the safer choice here. (Hurst could still be a first rounder, but it's not close to a given at this point.)

27. Saints--Hayden Hurst, TE, South Carolina
If they don't trade up for Lamar Jackson--I think both the Saints and Steelers are candidates for this--the Saints are in a position to address a need here at TE. Ben Watson is not a long-term answer, and Coby Fleener has flopped, perhaps predictably. Hurst is an interesting case because he will turn 25 during his rookie season (he played minor league baseball for a while), but if anything, he might help sooner than a typical rookie tight end because of that age. He's arguably the top TE in the draft, though some teams might not think so due to his age.

28. Steelers--Justin Reid, S, Stanford
The need for an inside linebacker is obvious here, but I don't think there's one worth taking at this spot for the Steelers. They need a replacement at safety for Mike Mitchell, so Reid or perhaps Ronnie Harrison (another Alabama product) could be the choice.

29. Jaguars--Billy Price, OL, Ohio St.
Price tore a pec at the Combine, so he could potentially fall out of the 1st round. Still, it's an injury that shouldn't be much of a long-term issue, and with the Jaguars still needing help along the offensive line, I think Tom Coughlin could see the value in a potential stud guard, even if he gets off to a slow start and misses OTA's. (Or even if he isn't quite ready in Week 1.)

30. Vikings--Will Hernandez, OL, UTEP
Hernandez is a mauling guard who would help Minnesota's offensive line immediately. They happen to have a hole for one starting spot at guard, so this is an ideal fit to solidify what was a pretty strong unit last season.

31. Buccaneers--Derrius Guice, RB, LSU
The Patriots are scheduled to pick at 31, but I can't resist predicting another trade. We've seen the Pats trade out of the 1st round so many times, and with an earlier pick at 23, I think it makes even more sense to do so here; they would only move back to 38 (TB's scheduled 2nd round pick), and they would get back more from the Bucs as well. The Pats could use an offensive tackle to replace Solder, but there isn't much of a difference among the best that are left (likely Kolton Miller, Orlando Brown, Connor Williams, and Brian O'Neill), and the Pats could still grab one of those players at 38. As for the Bucs, I see Guice as the second-best RB in this class, and they have a clear need for a playmaker at the position. Let's just hope Jason Licht isn't trading up to draft a kicker!

32. Eagles--Kolton Miller, OL, UCLA
The Super Bowl champs don't have a lot of holes on their roster, so there's a number of different ways that they can go. You could argue that they need a 2nd TE, since Trey Burton left, but I think they can find one in another round. You could argue that they could take Ridley or Moore at WR, but I think they are pretty stacked there, and this is another weak WR class as it is. With Jason Peters near the end of the line and oft-injured, I could see the Eagles take a stab at the UCLA tackle here, who is not a finished product but who could shine over time. He wouldn't have to start right away, so this is an ideal setup.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Last year, the Ravens wanted quarterback Robert Griffin III, but Griffin opted not to sign with the team. This year, the offer apparently stands — and the acceptance could be coming.

We’re told that Griffin will soon be signing with the Ravens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/ravens-could-soon-be-signing-robert-griffin/
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Quote:
Last year, the Ravens wanted quarterback Robert Griffin III, but Griffin opted not to sign with the team. This year, the offer apparently stands — and the acceptance could be coming.

We’re told that Griffin will soon be signing with the Ravens.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/ravens-could-soon-be-signing-robert-griffin/

Ravens would be in bad shape if he hits the field.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I've soured on Mayfield of late. If he drops to 11 fine (or if we drop further down to pick up some draft picks). But I wouldn't trade up for him. If Rosen manages to get to #4 and below, I think I would trade up for him. Otherwise, I'd be happy with Roquan Smith or Tremaine Edmunds, maybe even Vita Vea.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/04/04/von-miller-catches-shark-faces-investigation/#comments

Quote:
Von Miller catches shark, faces investigation

Von Miller on Instagram

Broncos outside linebacker Von Miller posted pictures of himself on social media with a shark he caught on a Florida fishing trip. That may have been unwise.

Miller is now being investigated after People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals accused Miller of illegally catching and killing the shark.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission confirmed to TMZ that it is “looking into whether or not a violation occurred in this incident.”

Florida has bans on catching certain types of sharks, and restrictions on catching other types, and Miller could face legal consequences if his fishing trip violated state law.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

News is circulating that Jordan Howard has deleted all his Bears related posts on Instagram. Possible move?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
News is circulating that Jordan Howard has deleted all his Bears related posts on Instagram. Possible move?

Interesting.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Interesting.

Bears are denying it but the vultures have been circling for some time this offseason. It'd be wise for them to get any value for him seeing as he's not the best fit for them.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Interesting.

Bears are denying it but the vultures have been circling for some time this offseason. It'd be wise for them to get any value for him seeing as he's not the best fit for them.

I'm trying to think of teams that would be good fits. Tampa does need a legit starting RB, which is why I have them trading up to 31 with the Patriots to get Guice in my mock. But if they could get Howard for, say, a 3rd rounder, they might prefer that. What about the Panthers? Christian McCaffrey cannot handle a full workload between the tackles, and I doubt that they are that high on Cameron Artis-Payne. The Redskins? That might not be a bad tandem, with Chris Thompson as the pass-catcher. I think the Giants are in rebuild mode, so I doubt they'd give up a pick at this stage of their plans. Denver? Indy? Patriots? Perhaps White stays as the strict passing down guy, and Howard and Burkhead can split the rest of the work.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 9 of 106
Jump to: