Los Angeles Lakers' Top 2018 Free-Agency and NBA Draft Targets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
No space for Randle if they sign PG/LBJ and stretch Deng - need to trade Deng to keep Randel and get those 2. Math shifts if it's not LBJ obviously

When I run the numbers I see us having about 60 million in cap space including Randle's cap hold, minimum cap holds, and the Cavs pick (if we stretch Deng). So theoretically we could keep Randle and sign George and James to 30 million each, with James taking 5 million less to allow us to keep Randle. Is my math/thinking off???
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
emplay wrote:
No space for Randle if they sign PG/LBJ and stretch Deng - need to trade Deng to keep Randel and get those 2. Math shifts if it's not LBJ obviously

When I run the numbers I see us having about 60 million in cap space including Randle's cap hold, minimum cap holds, and the Cavs pick (if we stretch Deng). So theoretically we could keep Randle and sign George and James to 30 million each, with James taking 5 million less to allow us to keep Randle. Is my math/thinking off???

Well, easier said than done to ask LBJ to just take 5m off. Would likely mean asking both PG13/LBJ to take a few million off. But if we can trade Deng (possible IMO), then we can keep Jules + 2 max.
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers can dump Deng and have to sacrifice this year's picks, I say do it. They have a ton of young talent already. Re-sign Randle, which gives PG and even LBJ a better reason to come.

Then re-sign guys like KCP and Brook to 1-year deals if they're willing to ring-chase for less.

I'd be happy with that, anyway. That would be a really fun team to watch next year.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

Here is a dream scenario that I think is feasible:

1. Trade this year's Cavs pick and a future 2nd round pick along with Luol Deng to the Nets for Demarre Carolle. Demarre expires at the end of the 2019 season.

2. Sign Paul George to the max (30.3m)

3. Split the available cap space, which I presume would be around 17m, by giving one year deals to Seth Curry (9m) and Brook Lopez (8m). If Seth Curry does not agree, a fall-back option would be Tyreke Evans. If Tyreke does not agree, only then would I settle for Isaiah Thomas (he's too much of a liability on defense).

4. Bring back Frye for the vet min and re-sign Carusso

5. Re-sign Randle, hopefully for no more than about $17m/year

2018 Lakers:

Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
Randle, Kuzma, C Frye
Ingram, Carolle (exp)
PG13, J Hart, 2nd round pick
Ball, Seth Curry, Carusso

5. In 2019, target Kawhi Leonard. If he does not come or signs the extension with the Spurs, here are your fallback options, in this order: Klay, Butler, Kyrie, Kevin Love

6. Re-sign solid backup point guard for room exception ($4.7m). First option is Seth Curry. Other options are Darren Collison, Cory Joseph, Patrick Beverly, among many others

2019 Lakers:

Randle, Zubac, Bryant
Kawhi, Kuzma
Ingram, Vet Min (Wesley Matthews), 2019 1st round pick
PG13, Hart
Ball, Seth Curry

2020 - Dynasty begins..
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

LakerBaker wrote:
emplay wrote:

I’m confused some media outlets are saying we will have as much as 70M in cap space and Windhorst said we can have 80M... obviously it depends on what we do with players under contract but I think a lot of people are cutting off our real cap room number....
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:

1. Trade this year's Cavs pick and a future 2nd round pick along with Luol Deng to the Nets for Demarre Carolle. Demarre expires at the end of the 2019 season.

3. Split the available cap space, which I presume would be around 17m, by giving one year deals to Seth Curry (9m) and Brook Lopez (8m). If Seth Curry does not agree, a fall-back option would be Tyreke Evans. If Tyreke does not agree, only then would I settle for Isaiah Thomas (he's too much of a liability on defense).

2018 Lakers:

Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
Randle, Kuzma, C Frye
Ingram, Carolle (exp)

5. In 2019, target Kawhi Leonard. If he does not come or signs the extension with the Spurs, here are your fallback options, in this order: Klay, Butler, Kyrie, Kevin Love

6. Re-sign solid backup point guard for room exception ($4.7m). First option is Seth Curry. Other options are Darren Collison, Cory Joseph, Patrick Beverly, among many others

2019 Lakers:

Randle, Zubac, Bryant
Kawhi, Kuzma
PG13, Hart
Ball, Seth Curry

2020 - Dynasty begins..

This is what I mean by making a reasonable proposal, instead of just trashing IT. The poster clearly points out a plan that would put safeguards in place for the point guard position as well as keeping our rim protector without putting our team at high risk.

I think getting any of Seth/Tyreke/Brook for one year will be a challenge at those prices... but it's a solid plan with a logic flow that's easy to understand.

I welcome reading any well thought out plans like this... however, just saying let's get rid of player A,B or C without any clear alternatives, drives me nuts. It's why we didn't make the playoffs this season and how you end up with Ennis as the backup point.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
emplay wrote:

I’m confused some media outlets are saying we will have as much as 70M in cap space and Windhorst said we can have 80M... obviously it depends on what we do with players under contract but I think a lot of people are cutting off our real cap room number....

Randle 12.4 (cap hold)
Ball 7.5
Deng 7.4 (stretched)
Ingram 5.8
Kuzma 1.7
Hart 1.7
Cavs 1st will be around 1.5
Minimum Cap Holds (5 total if we sign 2 players with cap space) = 4.2

Assuming 101 million salary cap = about 59 million in cap space

***IF the Lakers could pull off a Deng and Cavs 1st for Asik trade we could stretch Asik at 2.9 million per year and we would also save an additional 700k by NOT having the 1st round pick (with an additional minimum cap hold in its place). At that point we would have just over 64 million in cap space... (almost enough to max out both LeBron and George)
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Zubolo wrote:

2018 Lakers:

Lopez, Zubac, T Bryant
Randle, Kuzma, C Frye
Ingram, Carolle (exp)

2019 Lakers:

Randle, Zubac, Bryant
Kawhi, Kuzma
PG13, Hart
Ball, Seth Curry

2020 - Dynasty begins..

This is what I mean by making a reasonable proposal, instead of just trashing IT. The poster clearly points out a plan that would put safeguards in place for the point guard position as well as keeping our rim protector without putting our team at high risk.

I think getting any of Seth/Tyreke/Brook for one year will be a challenge at those prices... but it's a solid plan with a logic flow that's easy to understand.

I welcome reading any well thought out plans like this... however, just saying let's get rid of player A,B or C without any clear alternatives, drives me nuts. It's why we didn't make the playoffs this season and how you end up with Ennis as the backup point.

Thanks SM. Of course all this is assuming we don't do what it takes to get Lebron. Not that I would mind having Lebron on the squad but a part of me is concerned that it puts us on a 3 year clock and suffocates the organic growth of our nucleus.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerBaker wrote:
emplay wrote:

Well, easier said than done to ask LBJ to just take 5m off. Would likely mean asking both PG13/LBJ to take a few million off. But if we can trade Deng (possible IMO), then we can keep Jules + 2 max.

Sure would be nice to keep those valuable assets it would require to move Deng though (likely 2 first rounders).
Would also make it a lot easier to improve the team via trades keeping those 2 picks).
Maybe that's part of the pitch to LBJ?
Take 5 mil less (or, as you suggest, he and PG split it somehow).
We'd have assets to go after Kawhi or AD?
Even though LBJ doesn't need the marketing help, he actually will get it by being a Laker (imagine an LBJ Laker jersey and the sales of that).
Plus, the KD move (taking less) might influence his decision a bit.
IMO, that would be the best case scenario.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

ok... I have crunched these numbers over and over again tonight and if we just keep our guys (including Randle's cap hold) and stretch Deng we will still be 5.5 million short of being able to sign Geprge and LeBron to max deals.

However, if we could trade Deng and the Cavs pick for Asik then we would be just 900k short of being able to max out both those guys and keep Randle. If George and LeBron agreed to split the 900k difference thy would be looking at pay cuts of around just 450k each (I Think they could go for that, especially since we would be keeping Randle in the process).

If we couldn't pull off a deal like that, either LeBron would have to take a 5 million pay cut (from 35 to 30), or we just hope to get George signed and then defer to the following summer with Kawhi, Klay, Butler, etc.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure it's worth signing Geprge to the max - is he any good? Haven't seen him play, lol
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
I'm not sure it's worth signing Geprge to the max - is he any good? Haven't seen him play, lol
What do you think of this draft day trade?

Lakers get: Alan Williams

Bulls get: Deng, 2018 Cavs 1st and 2019 Bulls 2nd

Suns get: Asik and 2020 Lakers 1st

Wiliams is unguarenteed, so Lakers simply waive him and they end up with about 65 million in cap space, enough to max James, George and bring back Randle. Not sure if the Suns do this though, but just an idea to create the room on draft day.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Illegal re the Suns, doesn't work that way any more with non-guaranteed salary
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
emplay wrote:

Wiliams is unguarenteed, so Lakers simply waive him and they end up with about 65 million in cap space, enough to max James, George and bring back Randle. Not sure if the Suns do this though, but just an idea to create the room on draft day.

Why not just trade directly with the Bulls and forget about the Suns?

Lakers get: Asik and trade exception from Bulls

Simple.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
scoobs wrote:
emplay wrote:

Simple.
Because if we just do the Asik trade, we are still 300,000 short if being able to give the max to both James and George, while signing Randle. I guess we could do the Asik trade, then look to trade Asik in July along with our 2020 1st. Maybe that would be easier than waiting till July to trade Deng and two 1st to a team with cap space?
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Zubolo wrote:
scoobs wrote:
emplay wrote:

Simple.
Because if we just do the Asik trade, we are still 300,000 short if being able to give the max to both James and George, while signing Randle. I guess we could do the Asik trade, then look to trade Asik in July along with our 2020 1st. Maybe that would be easier than waiting till July to trade Deng and two 1st to a team with cap space?

My guess is that Lebron and PG13 won't cry over splitting 300K if it comes down to it.

I might even take it a step further and see if we can trade Ingram, Asik, Zubac and 2020 1st round pick to the Spurs for Kawhi. Not saying the Spurs would agree but if all signs point to that Kawhi is on his way out in 2019 they might oblige.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Looks like LeBron here may be a done deal, especially when the Cav's lose in the playoffs. Just found this:

Bron’s agent, Rich Paul just bought a $3 million home in Beverly Hills. Marketing point man Maverick Carter bought one in the Hollywood Hills for $3.5 million. Befitting his status as “The King,’ Bron bought one in Brentwood in December for $23 million.

So the only question to ask is if PG comes too????
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Looks like LeBron here may be a done deal, especially when the Cav's lose in the playoffs. Just found this:

Bron’s agent, Rich Paul just bought a $3 million home in Beverly Hills. Marketing point man Maverick Carter bought one in the Hollywood Hills for $3.5 million. Befitting his status as “The King,’ Bron bought one in Brentwood in December for $23 million.

So the only question to ask is if PG comes too????

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: