2018 Masters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
That’s where tiger went wrong. When the physical issues and the off course issues intruded, he lost his mental advantage, and he’s never gotten his legendary intimidating laser focus back. It’s what separated him from guys like Michelson, who actually has a better bag of shots but never had the ability to just dial in and go predator.

Phil does have all the shots, but I equate Phil to someone like Arnold Palmer, while Tiger was more like Nicklaus. Phil has always been more of a gambler on the golf course. It's just who he is. He goes for shots and tries to make birdies (and eagles), and sometimes this costs him dearly. We've seen that pop up in ugly ways, probably none more obvious than that US Open at Winged Foot on the 72nd hole, basically handing that championship to Geoff Ogilvy. I do think that Phil has reigned this in a bit as he's gotten older, but it's still absolutely in his golfing DNA.

As for Tiger, he played like Jack, and almost how Spieth plays...very calculating around the golf course. Not attacking tough pin placements, keeping the ball below the hole on most par 4's, being willing to hit irons or 3-woods off the tee to get into position, and murdering the par 5's (when he was in his prime). And while Phil is certainly a good putter, he's had issues at times with short putts (kind of like my favorite non-Jack player ever, Fred Couples). Tiger, for the most part, has been money from 5 feet and in during his career, especially in the majors.

I can't believe how many times Fred and Phil have broken my heart with missed short putts or errant shots over the years. Fred always seemed to hit a self-destructive shot every time he got into contention at the Masters. Heck, even the one time he won it in 1992, he got lucky that his ball stayed on the bank on 12. I remember a year where he hit it into the woods on 13, was able to get it back into the fairway, and then hit his 3rd shot into Rae's Creek and made 7. Then he made eagle on the 15th; just Freddy being Freddy. There was another year, I think maybe when he was around 50, where he was in contention and had a very short birdie putt on 14 to pull to within one, and he ended up three-putting to basically end his chances.

I know I got off on a tangent, but hey, I love the Masters.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Greatest golf tourney in the world.

Leaders are coming back to Tiger early today. Watch out
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Tiger looks like he will make the cut at this point, Spieth has responded nicely from a bad start today to look good at the moment.

The field is quite even at the top, don’t think Reed will stay there, but hopefully DJ & Spieth are up there on the final day, would be good watching.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Tiger looks like he will make the cut at this point, Spieth has responded nicely from a bad start today to look good at the moment.

The field is quite even at the top, don’t think Reed will stay there, but hopefully DJ & Spieth are up there on the final day, would be good watching.

The field stayed closer than I thought it would. So that 4 strokes that I figured Tiger would have to stay ahead of looks like it will work if he can keep his current pace.

Right now, 20 guys are within 4 of the leader. If they can stay bunched like that, Saturday and Sunday should be an interesting roller coaster on the leaderboard
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Tiger +5. Front 9, 2 bogies, no birdies.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Actually a double and a bogey. He looks awful. 6/7 fairways to then hit 2/9 greens? From arguably the greatest iron player ever that is just never gonna cut it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Tiger hit it into the water on 12, and the shot wasn't even close, and the swing looked awful. He's spraying balls all over the place today. Looks terrible.

Not that he's the only one. Phil had a 79 today and will miss the cut.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject:

His margin of error is nil now, and he’s not hitting well. He and Phil will likely be watching together this weekend.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

There are a lot of really bad shots and swings happening right now. Hoffman just hit it halfway into the pond on 12. Then Reed went way long and into the back bunker on the same hole. This after Reed 3-putted on 11.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Eldrick +4 projected cut +5. Not much room for error. He's been sporadic.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Tiger really played pretty solid those last 6 holes or so. Birdies and potential Eagles have lead to him probably being safe for the weekend.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Captain America with a 66 and a 2 shot lead.

He must think it is the Ryder Cup, going to be an insane weekend.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Tiger involvement is most likely the reason for the viewer increase.

Ratings Roundup: ESPN’s Masters First Round Viewership Up 40%; NBCSN Notches Best Quarter Ever

LINK

Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

Pretty good tournament so far, it's building into what should be a really good ending, still a lot of players in contention, should make for an awesome final day if it's still close at the top after today.

Going out for a morning round of golf now, I'm ready for the inevitable disappointment when I replicate all the bad shots from TV yesterday but none of the good ones

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Yep, when I think of a premier golf course I think of Augusta....remember a couple of years ago when they held the US Open at Chambers Bay? That place was a dump, there were no trees, and there was a freaking train running thru the place...

It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

It's a links course like St. Andrews (which also has a rail line passing through as I recall) . . . It's the type of course that is the origin of golf. Hardly a "dump".

That was the type of golf course it was modeled after. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with the course design and it was pretty much criticized throughout the 2015 US Open tournament by numerous PGA players.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Reed having a pretty amazing time so far. Great day for McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm too. Fleetwood close behind too.

Gonna be a decent last day man

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Tommy Fleetwood looks like a hippie.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Reed having a pretty amazing time so far. Great day for McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm too. Fleetwood close behind too.

If he plays decently tomorrow, it is essentially Reed's tournament to lose. It's realistically down to just 5, maybe 8, guys.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Tommy Fleetwood looks like a hippie.

Haver you been outside since 1970?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

That was the type of golf course it was modeled after. Unfortunately, they did a terrible job with the course design and it was pretty much criticized throughout the 2015 US Open tournament by numerous PGA players.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The course just didn't come off as expected. They basically built the course in a rock quarry, and it just lacked the typical ambience you'd expect. But beyond that, the greens were dreadful and you had no idea what the ball was going to do on even a 3 foot putt. Dustin Johnson missed a 2 and a half footer to get into a playoff with Spieth and you saw the ball just wobble almost instantly off his putter. I don't think any big championships will be contested there anytime soon.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree with you. The course just didn't come off as expected. They basically built the course in a rock quarry, and it just lacked the typical ambience you'd expect. But beyond that, the greens were dreadful and you had no idea what the ball was going to do on even a 3 foot putt. Dustin Johnson missed a 2 and a half footer to get into a playoff with Spieth and you saw the ball just wobble almost instantly off his putter. I don't think any big championships will be contested there anytime soon.

Conditions aside, my point was that the style of treeless links course is the root of the game.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Moses wrote:

If he plays decently tomorrow, it is essentially Reed's tournament to lose. It's realistically down to just 5, maybe 8, guys.

Reed, Rory and Stenson are the only ones (in realistic contention) to go under all three rounds. Reed is the only one whose rounds have all been in the 60's.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject:

Generally, Masters Champions come out of the final two groups almost exclusively.

That puts it down to Reed, McIlroy, Fowler and Rahm.

Fowler and Rahm being 5 and 6 shots behind would mean that both Reed and McIlroy would have to both play poorly for them to have any shot.

It really is a two horse race at this point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: