OFFICIAL KYLE got traded for westbrook KUZMA THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 878, 879, 880  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I don't see Jamison really being that close to Kuzma. Maybe the same ballpark, sure, but there are much better comps out there. Kuzma is more of a wing/SF than Jamison ever was, IMO. Kuzma may play at the 4 most of his career because of current trends in basketball, but that doesn't mean they are that close of a comp.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I don't see Jamison really being that close to Kuzma. Maybe the same ballpark, sure, but there are much better comps out there. Kuzma is more of a wing/SF than Jamison ever was, IMO. Kuzma may play at the 4 most of his career because of current trends in basketball, but that doesn't mean they are that close of a comp.

I think the main similarity is that they both can manufacture shots in tight spaces. Flips, hooks, quickly throw it up. When I saw how clever Kuz was in getting rid of a shot, immediately It just reminded me of Antawn because he was a bit like that. Most players have a set of go-to moves and they don't deviate it from it if one of those moves are not available. Kuz isn't afraid to look a little quirky as long as the shot gets off. Not many mixes of AJ on youtube, mostly Him vs Kobe videos. But here's a video that shows some of those quirky shots Antawn used to get off. Mostly threes in the mix, but you can see some of the circus shots at the 2:02 mark, so I start it there:

But I mean quirky in a good way, you gotta have footwork to get off these shots, and Kuz has displayed footwork as well.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I think the main similarity is that they both can manufacture shots in tight spaces. Flips, hooks, quickly throw it up. When I saw how clever Kuz was in getting rid of a shot, immediately It just reminded me of Antawn because he was a bit like that. Most players have a set of go-to moves and they don't deviate it from it if one of those moves are not available. Kuz isn't afraid to look a little quirky as long as the shot gets off. Not many mixes of AJ on youtube, mostly Him vs Kobe videos. But here's a video that shows some of those quirky shots Antawn used to get off. Mostly threes in the mix, but you can see some of the circus shots at the 2:02 mark, so I start it there:

But I mean quirky in a good way, you gotta have footwork to get off these shots, and Kuz has displayed footwork as well.

I agree with both of you.. Kuz has a perimeter aspect to his game that is superior to Jamison's. With that being said he has exhibited the quick release flip shots in traffic that we would see from Jamison.

The reason why many of these comps are off is because there's a new breed of talent entering the league that are creating their own molds. Kuz, is his own thing, Ingram, and Randle as well.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

Post All-Star break comp:

18.2/7.6/2.1/2.6threes/46%/39%/72%/57.3TS% —> Kuzma

19.1/6.6/4.1/2.1threes/37%/29%/86%/50.1TS%
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject:

I see the Jamison comparison, stylistically. But if you take Jamison, add a reliable 3-ball and with the way Kuz is wired differently from most guys (I never saw Antawn as someone who wanted to be the alpha dog as badly as this kid does), you have a completely different player with a higher ceiling IMO. I think the crazy competitiveness and #1 mentality make a world of difference, and though he'd still be lucky to have a career like Jamison did, his true potential is likely higher than that (and I like his chances of reaching it ). I can see both sides of the argument.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:

I'm proud to have guessed correctly the first time on the second player

So to be clear, you're saying we don't need to sign PG13 this summer...?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
governator wrote:

I'm proud to have guessed correctly the first time on the second player

So to be clear, you're saying we don't need to sign PG13 this summer...?

Hah! Just showing how good Kuzma has been

PG13 is numero uno priority... PG/KUZMA/BI/LONZO would be lengthy 1-4
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
He’s a tall lanky scorer who reminds me of a young Horry, Durant, Manning, Tayshaun etc

He was reminding me of LO last game with the height, arm band and untucked jersey.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Kuzma's poise is honestly Kobe like

He clearly studies him the same way Kobe studied MJ. His mannerisms and interviews have been extremely Kobesque lately and he's even started rocking the arm band. Caught him sucking the sweat off his jersey a few games back.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."

Last edited by manlisten on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

I just hope he plays better D than Jamison
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
governator wrote:

He clearly studies him the same way Kobe studied MJ. His mannerisms and interviews have been extremely Kobesque lately and he's even started rocking the arm band. Caught him sucking the sweat off his jersey a few games back.

Yea, if u watch Kobe’s old games on YouTube when he was 20-21 ish, same exact mannerism, confidence borderline cockiness... Kuzma has ‘it’, never a hesitation in his moves
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
manlisten wrote:
governator wrote:

Yea, if u watch Kobe’s old games on YouTube when he was 20-21 ish, same exact mannerism, confidence borderline cockiness... Kuzma has ‘it’, never a hesitation in his moves

I remember Kuz saying something about feeling no pressure in the NBA because of his upbringing from Flint, Michigan. Love the mentality.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

I might be misremembering, but I feel like Jamison was more of an opportunistic player, a guy who would score by being in the right place at the right time for putbacks and open shots, kind of similar to Cedric Ceballos. I don't recall him coming off screens or creating off the dribble the way Kuz does. I think Kuz is more of a guy who can be deliberately featured in an offense.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Jamison had amazing footwork. Definitely created his own shot and could shoot. IIRC though, he didn't develop his 3pt shot as much until the end of his career. He was also much more of a post player than Kuzma. I don't recall him ever having a pull up jumper off the dribble in his too bag either, where as that appears to be a big part of Kuzma's game.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Never watched Antawn Jamison before he became a Laker but when he was here no one executed a back cut to precision like him.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

So you guys are saying when Jamison and Kuzma pass each other at the Lakers facility they do the Spider-Man finger pointing Meme?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Shame Kuzma wont be able to break the Lakers rookie double-digit scoring streak, he was just 1 game shy.

May not play Sunday as well.

Guess playing all those 40 min games took a toll on his ankle.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Shame Kuzma wont be able to break the Lakers rookie double-digit scoring streak, he was just 1 game shy.

May not play Sunday as well.

Guess playing all those 40 min games took a toll on his ankle.

He’s only missed 2 games as a rookie, that is solid.
incontrol__
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

No comparison is going to be one-for-one. I think a lot of past players would be much different in today's NBA.

The kind of skills and abilities that Kuzma has lines up really well with Jamison, IMO. Runway8 mentioned his work around the rim, and that's where he most reminds me of Jamison, too. Also the body control. Gallinari doesn't have that. Kuzma does, much like Jamison.

No need to put Kuzma in a box, but his skillset is incredible, and he has so many impressive things to his game. Glad we've graduated away from the Brian Cook comparisons getting any kind of credence.

He's an exciting prospect for sure, and IMO, he's been really well coached. Luke and the staff have been on him all season long about shot selection, and defence. They've encouraged him, and given him the grounding he needs to get him to take those next steps to becoming an all-star level player in this league, and to his credit he's taking it all in and has shown extreme growth through the season.

Kuzma, Ingram, Ball, Hart, and Randle, have all shown enough potential and intrigue this season that even if we strike out in Free Agency this offseason I'm going to be incredibly excited to see the team next season.
GODBE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject:

It's amazing how efficient he's been for the types of shots that he takes.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Kyle needs to work on his conditioning this offseason. Not a bad thing tho. His game is already very polished offensively
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Andy Larsen: Kyle Kuzma and Lonzo Ball are both questionable for tomorrow’s game against the Jazz. Ingram still out. Brook Lopez probable. 3 hours ago – via Twitter andyblarsen
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Kyle needs to work on his conditioning this offseason. Not a bad thing tho. His game is already very polished offensively
bro hes been playing almost 40mpg
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
BizLA wrote:

I know. Just saying I’ve seen many games where he looks gassed and has no legs under his shot. This was before the stretch of playing heavy minutes
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject:

watchME wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Yeah I think he leads the league, or close to it, in MPG since ASB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 285, 286, 287 ... 878, 879, 880  Next
Page 286 of 880
Jump to: