Report: Jerry Sloan to Resign as Head Coach of the Jazz
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 16882
Location: The Garden Island

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Saw the video of him in the press conference. I felt Mr. Sloan was about to shed a tear. Great coach. He'll be miss in the NBA.



My favorite coach outside of Phil and Riles.


Always liked Sloan and Pop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30378

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Unless they get a good coach, I could see the Jazz going the way of the Grizzlies or T'Wolves, both small market franchises without anything attractive going for it. What Sloan brought to the franchise was stability, now they have neither.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Aug 2004
Posts: 19951

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject:

One source said Sloan had become tired of Williams “blaming everything on everyone else.”

Just pathetic... man up you spoiled baby.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 42642

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject:

1 losing season in 23 years. That's pretty amazing.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 51578

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject:

Don't know if this is all on Deron or not. I know Deron is a great player, but he is not a GOAT type or even a guy you are sure can lead you to rings.

Call me crazy, but I would have gone with Coach Sloan over Deron any day of the week.

If you moved Deron right now you would get a ton of value.

Without Sloan, Utah will lack the thing that always made them a tough team. Utah made a mistake. Say what you want about their ex loud mouth owner Miller, but I doubt if he were alive he would have let this happen.

I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Rz0TSprFc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2001
Posts: 15846

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:


I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.


Come on man, you've got this and this waiting in the wings. What could possibly go wrong?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kobe1kanobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Anyone hear the interview with Carl Malone during the Suns vs Jazz game? He basically said, the Sloan that he knows would never quit or give up, for him to leave like he did, there's something bigger happening.

My absolutely guess is that, the players disrespected Sloan, he wanted to punish them, owner did not allow it. He basically thought, 23 years as a coach here and no body is backing me up? Im out of here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Clutch44
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 2847

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Don't know if this is all on Deron or not. I know Deron is a great player, but he is not a GOAT type or even a guy you are sure can lead you to rings.

Call me crazy, but I would have gone with Coach Sloan over Deron any day of the week.

If you moved Deron right now you would get a ton of value.

Without Sloan, Utah will lack the thing that always made them a tough team. Utah made a mistake. Say what you want about their ex loud mouth owner Miller, but I doubt if he were alive he would have let this happen.

I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.


Interesting post.....

So if I understand you correctly, since Deron is not a GOAT type player you support coach Sloan, but when Kobe was a FA and demanded that the Lakers get rid of Phil and trade Shaq prior to resigning with the team that's perfectly fine since he's a GOAT type guy.

Wolf, I didn't know you're a man of such deep seeded convictions.
_________________
#InLukeWeTrust Semper Fi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30378

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject:

kobe1kanobe wrote:
Anyone hear the interview with Carl Malone during the Suns vs Jazz game? He basically said, the Sloan that he knows would never quit or give up, for him to leave like he did, there's something bigger happening.

My absolutely guess is that, the players disrespected Sloan, he wanted to punish them, owner did not allow it. He basically thought, 23 years as a coach here and no body is backing me up? Im out of here.


I'm guessing the Jazz in the front office are probably in a learning curve. Since Larry Miller passed away, his son is probably learning on the job and this is one of the things they might have bungled. Jerry Sloan probably realized that things are probably gonna be different from now on, and considering he is approaching 70 pretty soon, he had enough and called it a day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 51578

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject:

Clutch44 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Don't know if this is all on Deron or not. I know Deron is a great player, but he is not a GOAT type or even a guy you are sure can lead you to rings.

Call me crazy, but I would have gone with Coach Sloan over Deron any day of the week.

If you moved Deron right now you would get a ton of value.

Without Sloan, Utah will lack the thing that always made them a tough team. Utah made a mistake. Say what you want about their ex loud mouth owner Miller, but I doubt if he were alive he would have let this happen.

I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.


Interesting post.....

So if I understand you correctly, since Deron is not a GOAT type player you support coach Sloan, but when Kobe was a FA and demanded that the Lakers get rid of Phil and trade Shaq prior to resigning with the team that's perfectly fine since he's a GOAT type guy.

Wolf, I didn't know you're a man of such deep seeded convictions.

I'm referring to a few situations. It was well documented that Magic ran out his first NBA coach. Shaq? He ran out a couple. Kobe may have not directly ran out Phil but he certainly didn't help things back then. The difference in all those situations is that those guys are all-time greats and you couldn't let them go. Lebron has also ran out a coach or two. The level of player those guys are, it's impossible not to take their side.

Also, I think Sloan has a standing none of those coaches had with their teams at the time. Sloan is what Utah represents. If there were any coach who had a NCAA standing with his team, it was Sloan. The Jazz reflected his personality. Through and through.

For this to happen to Sloan is surprising. I don't blame Deron, I blame Utah management. They sat back and let this happen. I would never turn my back and support to Sloan. If he resigned, I'd just not accept it. There is clearly more to this than is being told. If you ask me I'd guess that Utah management wanted Sloan to leave knowing that it may cost them Deron down the road.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Rz0TSprFc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kobe1kanobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 749

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Clutch44 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Don't know if this is all on Deron or not. I know Deron is a great player, but he is not a GOAT type or even a guy you are sure can lead you to rings.

Call me crazy, but I would have gone with Coach Sloan over Deron any day of the week.

If you moved Deron right now you would get a ton of value.

Without Sloan, Utah will lack the thing that always made them a tough team. Utah made a mistake. Say what you want about their ex loud mouth owner Miller, but I doubt if he were alive he would have let this happen.

I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.


Interesting post.....

So if I understand you correctly, since Deron is not a GOAT type player you support coach Sloan, but when Kobe was a FA and demanded that the Lakers get rid of Phil and trade Shaq prior to resigning with the team that's perfectly fine since he's a GOAT type guy.

Wolf, I didn't know you're a man of such deep seeded convictions.

I'm referring to a few situations. It was well documented that Magic ran out his first NBA coach. Shaq? He ran out a couple. Kobe may have not directly ran out Phil but he certainly didn't help things back then. The difference in all those situations is that those guys are all-time greats and you couldn't let them go. Lebron has also ran out a coach or two. The level of player those guys are, it's impossible not to take their side.

Also, I think Sloan has a standing none of those coaches had with their teams at the time. Sloan is what Utah represents. If there were any coach who had a NCAA standing with his team, it was Sloan. The Jazz reflected his personality. Through and through.

For this to happen to Sloan is surprising. I don't blame Deron, I blame Utah management. They sat back and let this happen. I would never turn my back and support to Sloan. If he resigned, I'd just not accept it. There is clearly more to this than is being told. If you ask me I'd guess that Utah management wanted Sloan to leave knowing that it may cost them Deron down the road.


I agree, and would go further and say that it's also likely that they might have ignored his concerns about players and respect.

For Sloan to "resign" it must have been seriously bad conversation with management and owners. The sad part in all of this? Just like other superstars, changing the coach wont change their mind about leaving.

Following similar trends, there is a good chance Deron Williams will be gone. If not this season it will be next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 30387

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject:

kobe1kanobe wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Clutch44 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Don't know if this is all on Deron or not. I know Deron is a great player, but he is not a GOAT type or even a guy you are sure can lead you to rings.

Call me crazy, but I would have gone with Coach Sloan over Deron any day of the week.

If you moved Deron right now you would get a ton of value.

Without Sloan, Utah will lack the thing that always made them a tough team. Utah made a mistake. Say what you want about their ex loud mouth owner Miller, but I doubt if he were alive he would have let this happen.

I sometimes worry about the Lakers too once Dr. Buss is gone.


Interesting post.....

So if I understand you correctly, since Deron is not a GOAT type player you support coach Sloan, but when Kobe was a FA and demanded that the Lakers get rid of Phil and trade Shaq prior to resigning with the team that's perfectly fine since he's a GOAT type guy.

Wolf, I didn't know you're a man of such deep seeded convictions.

I'm referring to a few situations. It was well documented that Magic ran out his first NBA coach. Shaq? He ran out a couple. Kobe may have not directly ran out Phil but he certainly didn't help things back then. The difference in all those situations is that those guys are all-time greats and you couldn't let them go. Lebron has also ran out a coach or two. The level of player those guys are, it's impossible not to take their side.

Also, I think Sloan has a standing none of those coaches had with their teams at the time. Sloan is what Utah represents. If there were any coach who had a NCAA standing with his team, it was Sloan. The Jazz reflected his personality. Through and through.

For this to happen to Sloan is surprising. I don't blame Deron, I blame Utah management. They sat back and let this happen. I would never turn my back and support to Sloan. If he resigned, I'd just not accept it. There is clearly more to this than is being told. If you ask me I'd guess that Utah management wanted Sloan to leave knowing that it may cost them Deron down the road.


I agree, and would go further and say that it's also likely that they might have ignored his concerns about players and respect.

For Sloan to "resign" it must have been seriously bad conversation with management and owners. The sad part in all of this? Just like other superstars, changing the coach wont change their mind about leaving.

Following similar trends, there is a good chance Deron Williams will be gone. If not this season it will be next season.




I can't help but think that if Larry Miller was still around these guys could have worked something out.

No John Stockton
No Karl Malone
No Jerry Sloan
No Larry Miller

This just isn't the same Jazz franchise that I loved to hate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 22700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/04/08/raja-bell-tells-his-version-of-what-happened-night-jerry-sloan-quit-in-utah/

Quote:
Raja Bell tells his version of what happened night Jerry Sloan quit in Utah

It is the stuff of legend in Utah. Well, Sloan was already a legend there having coached the team for 22 seasons, through the John Stockton/Karl Malone years to two NBA Finals. He was a no-nonsense, intense, physical player and for a couple of decades his teams had followed in his footsteps.

The night Sloan quit in the middle of the season on Feb. 9, 2011 — having finally decided he was too old for this s*** with Deron Williams — is also of legend.

Veteran guard Raja Bell was on that team and recently told his version of the story.

View image on Twitter
View image on Twitter

moni
@monilogue
Raja Bell tells the story of what happened THAT night: (H/T @jfasioe)

9:15 PM - Apr 6, 2018
2,295
1,000 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
This followed reasonably closely to owner Greg Miller’s version of events.

Williams was a strong-willed player, something that was true throughout his career (let’s just say he was not the most popular player in any locker room he was in). Sloan had a very specific style and way he wanted the team to play, one that had worked for decades, but Williams was not a fan. It cramped his style. Williams continually defied Sloan and changed plays on him, the two had clashed many times before, but on that February night Sloan finally had enough. Sloan quit, Miller convinced him to sleep on it, but the next morning Sloan stuck with his plan and walked away from the team.

Two weeks later, Williams was traded to the New Jersey Nets.

It has taken until recent years for the Jazz to put something together that makes them a threat again — it required Quin Snyder’s coaching, the development of Rudy Gobert into a defensive force (and one of the game’s top centers), and, this season, the emergence of Donovan Mitchell to make up for Gordon Hayward bolting town. The Jazz are there now.

But they will not forget THAT night.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21005

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Here is a link to Raja Bell’s account:

Raja Bell account
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 18444
Location: La Jolla, San Diego

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

His ego got too big. Never been the same outside of Utah. DW vs CP3 used to be a debate around here with many taking Deron because he used to give CP3 the business in their match-ups. But I was never one of those who picked Deron. He lacked CP3's mid-range game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 22700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/18/deron-williams-and-jerry-sloan-finally-buried-the-hatchet/

Quote:
Deron Williams and Jerry Sloan finally buried the hatchet


Deron Williams or Chris Paul? That was the conversation in the NBA just a decade ago, a conversation that now seems practically ridiculous. I never personally thought it was very close between the two, being an adamant Paul supporter. Now, CP3 is with the Houston Rockets and Williams is out of the league, despite Paul being just 200 days younger than the former Utah Jazz star (but having played more games).

Williams was part of a two-man attack, along with Carlos Boozer, that helped fuel the Jazz during the first decade of this century as they churned through the Western Conference. But Williams played just five-and-a-half seasons in Salt Lake City, traded after a blow-up with former Jazz coach Jerry Sloan.

Things were unsteady between the two during the 2010-11 season, and Sloan famously decided to retire after a game in February of 2011 in which the Jazz lost to the Chicago Bulls. During halftime of that game, there was a disagreement between Sloan and Williams that apparently pushed the legendary head coach to his tipping point.

Sloan retired and Williams was traded on February 23rd.

Now, it appears that the two have at least made amends. In a story of appearing on UtahJazz.com, Williams recently went to Sloan’s house to talk about the divide between the two and what happened some seven years ago.

Via UtahJazz.com:

“He doesn’t forget a lot of things, instances where I pissed him off, things I did to upset him,” Williams said. “He definitely told me about that—and rightfully so. He was great about some other things. It was kind of typical Coach Sloan, really. If you know him, he’s never been one to shy away from telling you the truth and how he feels.”



“Eventually, I think Jerry came around,” [Jazz CEO Greg] Miller said. “He never really said, ‘Let’s put it behind us’ or anything, but maybe in Sloan speak he did.”

“Two strong men said what they needed to say, shook hands and are now moving forward,” [Jazz president Steve] Starks said.

Sloan, 76, is living with Parkinson’s and reportedly not in the best of health. It’s good to hear that Williams was remorseful about how he acted, and that the two great sportsmen were able to come together and at least see each other’s point of view as a sort of armistice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 14847
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

I saw this thread bumped And I had a heart attack that coach died.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4235
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

I think this shows how old school coaches like Sloan and Pat Riley can't really coach in today's NBA. Back in their day leadership was all about management and telling people to do what you wanted them to do. Nowadays there's been a shift towards leadership that's based on relationships and voluntary cooperation. The coaches and leaders who don't adapt and still have that my way or the highway attitude won't last in today's world.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19823

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I think this shows how old school coaches like Sloan and Pat Riley can't really coach in today's NBA. Back in their day leadership was all about management and telling people to do what you wanted them to do. Nowadays there's been a shift towards leadership that's based on relationships and voluntary cooperation. The coaches and leaders who don't adapt and still have that my way or the highway attitude won't last in today's world.


You have to manage Millennials differently
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 20831
Location: LA, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

Probably one of the best coaches in Sports not to win a ring, if he was still into coaching almost all the teams would be in line to hire him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4235
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:
slavavov wrote:
I think this shows how old school coaches like Sloan and Pat Riley can't really coach in today's NBA. Back in their day leadership was all about management and telling people to do what you wanted them to do. Nowadays there's been a shift towards leadership that's based on relationships and voluntary cooperation. The coaches and leaders who don't adapt and still have that my way or the highway attitude won't last in today's world.


You have to manage Millennials differently

This, there's nothing wrong with millennials (I'm in that age group), but times have changed. People in general want to be coached but they don't want to be bossed around.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB