Westbrook needs 16 rebounds tonight to average a triple double for the season again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Westbrook needs 16 rebounds tonight to average a triple double for the season again

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/10/russell-westbrook-oklahoma-city-thunder-closing-triple-double-average-again

Can he do it? Or I guess the real question is, will he even go out of his way to try?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

No one on OKC will get more than 3 rebounds tonight. Book it. He'll get 16 rebounds.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
No one on OKC will get more than 3 rebounds tonight. Book it. He'll get 16 rebounds.

This. He would be the only guy do to it twice, no? I know Oscar missed doing it a second time in the same scenario--finished at 9.9 rebounds per game. Just to put that historical feather in his proverbial cap is incentive enough. He may never get the ring but he'll be the guy who averaged a legit triple double twice in his career.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

This. He would be the only guy do to it twice, no? I know Oscar missed doing it a second time in the same scenario--finished at 9.9 rebounds per game. Just to put that historical feather in his proverbial cap is incentive enough. He may never get the ring but he'll be the guy who averaged a legit triple double twice in his career.

Yup. And may always be the case. Insane #s, no rings.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wouldn't it make him look selfish and petty to blatantly try to get 16 tonight? Sort of like Ricky Davis shooting at his own basket and rebounding it to try to get a triple double.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Wouldn't it make him look selfish and petty to blatantly try to get 16 tonight? Sort of like Ricky Davis shooting at his own basket and rebounding it to try to get a triple double.

OKC is in a battle for playoff seed: This game could determine whether they are in the 4th or 7th spot. Westbrook would look bad if he just goes after rebounds and they lose.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject:

The more interesting game will be Denver/Sota

(bleep) Westbrook!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Mans I hope he gets 15
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Westbrook would look bad if he just goes after rebounds and they lose.

I'm not sure that he has that much self awareness.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Erik Horne: Carmelo Anthony admits Russell Westbrook steals rebounds, but says team doesn’t think twice about it, says people can put a wrong perspective on Westbrook. “At the end of the day, his main focus is to win.”

Last edited by governator on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

No more selfish that he's looked over the past two seasons. He doesn't care and neither do the masses. He will get it unless the Grizz pull stops to make that their #1 priority, and I don't see them doing that. If he were paying the Spurs then I could see Pop going out of his way to make sure it didn't happen.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Did you watch last season? Teammates were part of it, totally leaving rebounds for him to chase. He lost it when one of his teammates missed a bunny layup and deprived him of a triple double.

It's impressive, but belies some fundamental flaws in his game.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Quote:
Erik Horne: Carmelo Anthony admits Russell Westbrook steals rebounds, but says team doesn’t think twice about it, says people can put a wrong perspective on Westbrook. “At the end of the day, his main focus is to win.”

Quote:
“Everybody wants to be talking, I’m tired of hearing the same old rebound this, stealing rebounds, all this [expletive],” Westbrook said. “I take pride in what I do. I come out and play, and I get the ball faster than somebody else gets to it. That’s what it is. If you don’t want it, I’m gonna get it. Simple as that.”
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Westbrook with 3 points, 17 rebounds, and 14 assists.

audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

embarrassing
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
embarrassing

Oh, lots of NBA statistical records are a little embarrassing if you look under the hook. Wilt's 100 game was a farce, for example. Over time. people forget that and are amazed by the numbers. Same thing will happen with Westbrook.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Westbrook is a knucklehead, but given that it was a home game, I'm glad he did it. The fans wanted to see him get the triple double. The rest of us can roll our eyes, but the people who paid money for tickets were happy.

Westbrook has managed to demystify the triple-double. I've been saying for years that it is an overrated stat (which makes some people hysterical), but Westbrook has illustrated my point pretty well.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Westbrook is a knucklehead, but given that it was a home game, I'm glad he did it. The fans wanted to see him get the triple double. The rest of us can roll our eyes, but the people who paid money for tickets were happy.

Westbrook has managed to demystify the triple-double. I've been saying for years that it is an overrated stat (which makes some people hysterical), but Westbrook has illustrated my point pretty well.

Bingo. It puts a ribbon on an otherwise unflattering season. Even if PG13 goes, their "ring" will be the elusive 3rd consecutive triple double and they'll celebrate him and that feat.

It's pretty amazing he did it, but does it actually win rings the way he does it? Dubious.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I've been saying for years that it is an overrated stat (which makes some people hysterical), but Westbrook has illustrated my point pretty well.

I'd say Westbrook has also definitively knocked Oscar Robertson off the top 10 list. Oscar is a name you will hear less and less because his big claim to fame was the triple-double season.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Westbrook has single handedly diminished the career of Oscar Robertson. What once seemed to be an astonishing hallmark - averaging a triple double - now seems doable through trivial stat stuffing. Is there any doubt that that Jordan. Kobe and Lebron could average a triple double if they wanted to?

Magic could have easily done that too if he wanted. But he valued winning and sharing the ball (and no, just racking up raw assists numbers isn't that).

If anything, if I'm PG13, that should tell you where WB's mindset is.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

Oscar had an amazing career, and was just as impactful off the court as one it: He was the key figure in the anti-trust suit against the league and first president of the Player's Association. That ushered in free agency and changed the lives of players for the better.

However, few people remember that stuff or know anything about his game. Over time, players get reduced to their stats -- Oscar became nothing more than the Triple Double Guy.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Magic could have easily done that too if he wanted. But he valued winning and sharing the ball

Dude stop.

Magic tried. He admitted he tried. But he fell short, and he gave Robertson props for his accomplishment In his sophomore and third seasons Magic tried to average a triple double. He came close in 81-82 where he fell 0.4 Rebounds and 0.5 Assists short.

He said he talked to Oscar after and said he had no idea how tough his accomplishment was, till he(Magic) tried it.

So don't try to come with the "Magic could have if he wanted to but was too unselfish." to try to diminish what Westbrook did and build up the 'ease' Magic could have done it.

Magic tried. He fell short. Westbrook did it two seasons in a row. Give credit where it's due instead of trying to find excuses why it didn't happen for players you like.

That's like the Skip Bayless take where he said MJ would never help up an opposing player, and then someone linked a video of Jordan helping a Piston to their feet

But it seems you're trying to convince yourself that Paul George is gonna go "Wow Westbrook averaged a Triple Double in his 2nd straight season..... omg so selfish! Ima go to the Lakers!!"

Paul George has already expressed his admiration for it, and said it shows how bad Westbrook wants to win and how people don't seem to understand that.

If George left, it wouldn't be because Westbrook just accomplished something historic that no other NBA player has before.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Magic could have easily done that too if he wanted. But he valued winning and sharing the ball

Dude stop.

Magic tried. He admitted he tried. But he fell short, and he gave Robertson props for his accomplishment In his sophomore and third seasons Magic tried to average a triple double. He came close in 81-82 where he fell 0.4 Rebounds and 0.5 Assists short.

He said he talked to Oscar after and said he had no idea how tough his accomplishment was, till he(Magic) tried it.

So don't try to come with the "Magic could have if he wanted to but was too unselfish." to try to diminish what Westbrook did and build up the 'ease' Magic could have done it.

Magic tried. He fell short. Westbrook did it two seasons in a row. Give credit where it's due instead of trying to find excuses why it didn't happen for players you like.

That's like the Skip Bayless take where he said MJ would never help up an opposing player, and then someone linked a video of Jordan helping a Piston to their feet

But it seems you're trying to convince yourself that Paul George is gonna go "Wow Westbrook averaged a Triple Double in his 2nd straight season..... omg so selfish! Ima go to the Lakers!!"

Paul George has already expressed his admiration for it, and said it shows how bad Westbrook wants to win and how people don't seem to understand that.

If George left, it wouldn't be because Westbrook just accomplished something historic that no other NBA player has before.

You think if he told KAJ/Worthy, et. al. that he wanted to get a triple double, they'd agree to box out for him so he can get rebounds? Of course not, b/c they wouldn't take part in such an indulgent thing.

Did you see the countless YouTube videos that showed how blatantly OKC has supported him in this crusade?

I've said it's an incredible personal accomplishment.

But I still stand that it won't ever lead to rings b/c he has shown what he prioritizes.

I hope PG13 isn't enamored by the veneer of that and comes to his sense.

And no, I didn't say PG13 is leaving b/c WB averaged a triple double alone. There are numerous other factors we've discussed at length.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Dude stop.

You think if he told KAJ/Worthy, et. al. that he wanted to get a triple double, they'd agree to box out for him so he can get rebounds? Of course not, b/c they wouldn't take part in such an indulgent thing.

Did you see the countless YouTube videos that showed how blatantly OKC has supported him in this crusade?

And if social media was around back in the day along with youtube I'm sure people could put together clips of rebounds that Magic got from other people, or ways to try to discredit his accomplishments, and the many times Jordan supposedly traveled, and there'd be a million view video showing off how the Utah Jazz "set up assists" for John Stockton so that he'd be the all time leader which was a small controversy back in the day too.

Magic was also the person the Lakers WANTED to get rebounds because then he would lead the fast break. But you didn't take that into account I gather?

But someone on youtube back in the day could have easily put together a video and go "See? They let Magic get rebounds" and then Lakers fans would show up and go "duh..we want him leading the fast break."

Magic and LeBron have never averaged a Triple Double. Westbrook has done it two seasons in a row. If it was that easy as "oh the team just lets him." it would have been done by now. It hasn't been since Robertson. Westbrook's done it twice. Two seasons in a row. Stop hating on it and give credit to where it's due.

Last edited by MJST on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: