Los Angeles
50%
 50%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 36

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject:

I work and spend most of my time in the midcity/miracle mile area. As a conservative living in L.A. I hate it here. Hate it with a passion. Like there are days I have to convince myself in the morning to just somehow grit through another day. I am miserable and it's not just political. Too many reasons to get into.

I lived in San Diego a while back. Three years to attend UCSD and one more year after that. Personally, I thought of it as a smaller, slightly better version of L.A. Not as densely populated but still a diverse demographic. It has traffic, but not as bad as L.A. The beaches are nicer than L.A.'s nasty, smelly overrated beaches. I'm not the type that needs to go out every night, so I never felt like there wasn't anything to do when I was there. Between Gaslamp, downtown, PB, Balboa Park, I always had a great time. I didn't have much money in college, so I think I'd probably enjoy it a bit more now that I'm older.

I've visited San Francisco quite a few times because I have family there. Great place to visit but I'd hate to live there because of the density. Not my thing. The food is amazing, and probably the one thing I love the most about SF. Especially the Asian and Asian fusion restaurants.

I also used to go up to Vancouver at least once a year for more than 10 years. Great city. I could see myself living there, although I don't like their healthcare. It took my uncle who lives there over 6 months to get the knee surgery he needed. They've told me multiple stories like that. I'm not a fan of Obamacare - I'm paying way more than I used to for less coverage - but even that is better than what our neighbors up north have in terms of the quality of healthcare. I don't mind the cold winters there either. A few weeks of snow doesn't bother me. In fact I kind of like it. Also the scenery is beautiful and it's pretty clean overall. Their tap water tastes better than anything we can buy here. Really liked it there.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
For me, from about the midpoint of Orange County south, the political sensibilities make living there unsuitable.

Not even the mid-point. And it's not just the politics. It's just such a sterile (mostly) uninteresting place. La Jolla is great, but outside of that, it's really pretty uninteresting down the San Diego way. There's some great golf, and it's a great place to go out to sea on a fishing boat, but other than that . . .

La Jolla is great and the rest of San Diego is sterile and uninteresting? I went to UCSD for 4 1/2 years (for my BS and MS) and La Jolla was on par with Irvine (where I grew up) in terms of sterility. I mean okay La Jolla has gorgeous beaches and I guess Torrey Pines but I don't golf. There are small pockets of La Jolla I like but overall... eh.

Last edited by tox on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
SF's strengths are its dense urban layout, public transportation infrastructure, exciting topography, architecture, civic unity, and on these bases, it beats the crap out of the city of Los Angeles.

Greater Los Angeles is a giant resort with seemingly unlimited diversion and I don't think I will live anywhere else for extended periods of time.

Portland is a great (bleep) city but it's too wet and I need the sunshine.

ditto re: Seattle

Honestly what does unlimited diversion even mean?
I've never lived in LA and maybe I will at some point (I might end up at Westwood for my PhD), but in general I don't have anything good to say about it.
I'm moving to SF in a couple months and I'm much more excited for that than the prospects of Westwood. Just the dense urban layout is enough.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
SF's strengths are its dense urban layout, public transportation infrastructure, exciting topography, architecture, civic unity, and on these bases, it beats the crap out of the city of Los Angeles.

Greater Los Angeles is a giant resort with seemingly unlimited diversion and I don't think I will live anywhere else for extended periods of time.

The joke used to be that you could do everything you wanted to do here except go to an NFL game and build a snowman in your front yard.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I work and spend most of my time in the midcity/miracle mile area. As a conservative living in L.A. I hate it here. Hate it with a passion. Like there are days I have to convince myself in the morning to just somehow grit through another day. I am miserable and it's not just political. Too many reasons to get into.

I lived in San Diego a while back. Three years to attend UCSD and one more year after that. Personally, I thought of it as a smaller, slightly better version of L.A. Not as densely populated but still a diverse demographic. It has traffic, but not as bad as L.A. The beaches are nicer than L.A.'s nasty, smelly overrated beaches. I'm not the type that needs to go out every night, so I never felt like there wasn't anything to do when I was there. Between Gaslamp, downtown, PB, Balboa Park, I always had a great time. I didn't have much money in college, so I think I'd probably enjoy it a bit more now that I'm older.

I've visited San Francisco quite a few times because I have family there. Great place to visit but I'd hate to live there because of the density. Not my thing. The food is amazing, and probably the one thing I love the most about SF. Especially the Asian and Asian fusion restaurants.

I also used to go up to Vancouver at least once a year for more than 10 years. Great city. I could see myself living there, although I don't like their healthcare. It took my uncle who lives there over 6 months to get the knee surgery he needed. They've told me multiple stories like that. I'm not a fan of Obamacare - I'm paying way more than I used to for less coverage - but even that is better than what our neighbors up north have in terms of the quality of healthcare. I don't mind the cold winters there either. A few weeks of snow doesn't bother me. In fact I kind of like it. Also the scenery is beautiful and it's pretty clean overall. Their tap water tastes better than anything we can buy here. Really liked it there.

LA traffic will drive anybody nuts. Its all that wasted hours of your life doing nothing but sitting. That being said its pretty bad in the OC as well. Try going down to the 5 during the morning or evening commutes.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

I drove from Santa Clarita to Burbank today. There was heavy traffic even on the way back at noon.

I have no idea how/why people choose to commute from Santa Clarita (or anywhere, really) to Los Angeles on a daily basis. It's not just a waste of time, it's also tiring and dangerous (so many idiot drivers on the freeway).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Hard to say as they are all different.

I live in North County San Diego and enjoy it, but it would be too suburban for some.

LA is great, I grew up there and there is tons to do and hotties a plenty, but I hate traffic and get antsy driving there, so it isn't the right fit for me as I try to stay Zen.

San Francisco is a great city. I love it but it is too expensive and unfortunately very dirty and crime ridden as the homeless there are aggressive and unruly.

I think Seattle is really the hidden gem on the West Coast of the big cities, love to visit there. No way could I handle the gloomy weather full time, but it is a great city and surrounding area with tons of fun things to do and enjoy.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

The joke used to be that you could do everything you wanted to do here except go to an NFL game and build a snowman in your front yard.

Yeah I've heard that, but it's still pretty vague on what people can actually do living in LA versus other big cities...?
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah I've heard that, but it's still pretty vague on what people can actually do living in LA versus other big cities...?
I am not in LA (IE), but within an hour or so I can surf, snowboard, golf, ride dirt bikes, go boating, hike in Arrowhead, camp at Joshua Tree and be a fan of two teams in every major sport plus UCLA and USC. There are world class performing arts venues, concert halls and museums. Great restaurants and bars. The comedy clubs have actual comedians and the nightclubs feature actual bands. There is tremendous diversity of people, thought, culture, food, religion, language and everything human. And in three hours, I can be in San Diego, Palm Springs, Vegas, Havasu, Santa Barbara and Mammoth.

In all sincerity, it would be easier to list what you can't do in SoCal.
There must be something.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:

Just curious, are you of the opinion that all big cities provide the same collection and level of cultural and entertainment opportunities as any other?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
tox wrote:
tox wrote:

I am not in LA (IE), but within an hour or so I can surf, snowboard, golf, ride dirt bikes, go boating, hike in Arrowhead, camp at Joshua Tree and be a fan of two teams in every major sport plus UCLA and USC. There are world class performing arts venues, concert halls and museums. Great restaurants and bars. The comedy clubs have actual comedians and the nightclubs feature actual bands. There is tremendous diversity of people, thought, culture, food, religion, language and everything human. And in three hours, I can be in San Diego, Palm Springs, Vegas, Havasu, Santa Barbara and Mammoth.

There must be something.

In fairness to tox, he's not talking about SoCal versus other regions of the West Coast, he is talking about the two big cities in SoCal, San Diego and Los Angeles in respect to each other.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:
tox wrote:

Just curious, are you of the opinion that all big cities provide the same collection and level of cultural and entertainment opportunities as any other?

Of course not, I simply am interested in people substantiating what that difference is precisely. I've never lived in Los Angeles proper, but I very well might. So I want to know what people find special about LA so I can enjoy it whenever I return to SoCal (maybe even LA in particular).

So, for example, if someone would contrast what you can do in LA vs. in SF would be awesome for me since I'm about to live in SF for at least a year until my (potential) PhD.

(If it's not clear, my questions are not rhetorical. I am sincerely interested in what people find special about LA so I can try to experience it. Aside from the Lakers of course )
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
tox wrote:
tox wrote:

There must be something.

In fairness to tox, he's not talking about SoCal versus other regions of the West Coast, he is talking about the two big cities in SoCal, San Diego and Los Angeles in respect to each other.

Well I'm talking about just maybe LA vs other big cities, not just SD. JMK's post is actually interesting. But I am not arguing against the advantages of SoCal geographically (nearby beaches, mountains, hiking spots etc.). Certainly that affords LA (and SD to a lesser extent) flexibility in possible activities. But is that what people mean when they talk about how LA has so much to do (which implies that other big cities have less to do)? I've lived in SoCal so I'm familiar with that... I just don't think proximity to golf courses and (bad) snowboarding/skiing mountains is what people have in mind when they talk about how many activities there are in LA.

I will grant you sports and "entertainment" (comedy nights, bars, nightclubs, etc.), but something like "the tremendous diversity of people, thought, culture, food, religion, language and everything human" seems true of, say, SF as well. And if you add in activities 3 hours away, then most major cities have a wealth of options (I mean, Portland and Seattle are less than 3 hours away in good traffic so...).
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
tox wrote:
tox wrote:

There must be something.

Well I'm talking about just maybe LA vs other big cities, not just SD. JMK's post is actually interesting. But I am not arguing against the advantages of SoCal geographically (nearby beaches, mountains, hiking spots etc.). Certainly that affords LA (and SD to a lesser extent) flexibility in possible activities. But is that what people mean when they talk about how LA has so much to do (which implies that other big cities have less to do)? I've lived in SoCal so I'm familiar with that... I just don't think proximity to golf courses and (bad) snowboarding/skiing mountains is what people have in mind when they talk about how many activities there are in LA.

I will grant you sports and "entertainment" (comedy nights, bars, nightclubs, etc.), but something like "the tremendous diversity of people, thought, culture, food, religion, language and everything human" seems true of, say, SF as well. And if you add in activities 3 hours away, then most major cities have a wealth of options (I mean, Portland and Seattle are less than 3 hours away in good traffic so...).

My post is biased towards the things I enjoy, with a little bit of wishful thinking sprinkled in. In response to your question, it matters not what I (or anyone else) values. What are you looking for now, and how important is it to you to be exposed to things that you may find enjoyable in the future?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:

My post is biased towards the things I enjoy, with a little bit of wishful thinking sprinkled in. In response to your question, it matters not what I (or anyone else) values. What are you looking for now, and how important is it to you to be exposed to things that you may find enjoyable in the future?

I know what I like, and I know where I can get it. As you mentioned, I'm more interested in being exposed to things I might later on find enjoyable. The main reason I am asking these questions is because I'm legitimately interested in what interests people about LA, so I can see if I can get *into* those things. For example, you mentioned comedy clubs and I've never really tried to get into that. Maybe the next time I'm in LA I'll see if I can go to one, and test out if it's my style. Or try one in SF while I'm there although I don't doubt the quality is worse.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

While it's true the California topography and culture allows for such diverse lifestyles, I feel like many of these things are special events that aren't easily accessible due to traffic, cost and time.

One can surf every day, but you have to live near the beach. Going to the mountains to ski or snowboard is a rare thing each year. As is camping in Joshua Tree or driving out to Palm Springs for the weekend. Certainly someone from out of state can experience these things on a yearly trip to CA and enjoy the same amount of pleasure.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

Understand this completely. I had to do a stint in SD back in 2010 for about 11 months and must say I really did enjoy my time there. Felt like a cleaner LA with less traffic.

LA is a cesspool. I understand why people like it but I believe that has a lot to do with personalities. If you are a person to enjoy open spaces and not getting trapped in your car LA is unbearable. Unfortunately it's just getting more and more packed. If you want land (property) that's more than a few feet forget it. Nevermind how terribly rude people are generally. Nostalgia can be a fickle thing but I can say for certain things aren't headed in the right direction for people who enjoy friendly people, clean environment and the ability to actually get to the things you enjoy with no wanting to murder someone. I really do wish it was different but LA, as it is now, is a purgatory .

If you love it here, all the more power to you. I can acknowledge what doesn't work for me works for other people (even if I think you're crazy ) but definitely getting my family out of here in the next year or two.
PROPHET
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Santa Barbara, beautiful city or Carpenteria.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

PROPHET wrote:
Santa Barbara, beautiful city or Carpenteria.

Yes, but not quite a major city...
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

No love for San Jose?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
No love for San Jose?

Pretty much have to be a millionaire to live there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: