Does Walton's coaching style cause more player injuries?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Does Walton's coaching style cause more player injuries?

Walton says he is much more comfortable and has more patience in his second year with a "clearer vision of where we are going." Is the pace of his offense and defense more injury prone? Having two superstars for Walton to coach, won't work if they are wearing Armani suits on the sideline. This year we missed the playoffs because of injuries. I really hope we improve in this department next year.

Last edited by Jellojigglin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

I don't think so
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Need to keep the mins down with this pace. Strength and conditioning should help
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject:

The only injury logs I see are off rotoworld which are not always accurate. I'm sure Nunez staff works around the clock in multiple disciplines to condition the team and clear players for game time. My thoughts are the pace we play is very fast and arguably risky for a marathon NBA season. I always admire coaches that protect the team going into the playoffs.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

I think playing less physically developed players heavy minutes is problematic....thought he played Ingram too heavy minutes during his rookie season, and thought he played Lonzo too many minutes this season. I said before the season, if Lonzo (with his frail frame) played heavy minutes, he would be injured by Christmas.....then in mid December, I admitted I was wrong....then by Christmas, the injuries started, and never ended. I do not think it is Luke's coaching style, but you simply cannot take underdeveloped 19 and 20 year olds that played less than 4o games the previous year against other 18-20 year olds, and throw them out there for 35 minutes a night against grown developed ultra athletes and expect their bodies to hold up for 82 games.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

NO...
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

If we hired coach Thibs maybe we'd see that happening
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

I heard a comment the last couple of days that injuries in the NBA are up 30% this year!?? That seems like an impossible jump, but it does seem like there have been a lot of injuries this year.

The weird thing about it is that the league took away alot of the contact that had been allowed before and also mostly shut down the paint. This was all done in the hope that it would increase scoring and lessen wear and tear on the players who have been complaining about the number of games they play.

It is beginning to look like the physical play in the paint, slowed the game down but may actually lessen injuries and that perhaps the injuries are more a result of the speed of the game, rather than the toughness of it.

Any thoughts?
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject:

the injuries probably seemed worse than they really were. I'm guessing these guys (Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma) would be playing if the Lakers were fighting for playoff position. Like its been said elsewhere, the Lakers were extra cautious given that the team was not in playoff contention.

They're young, they can handle the fast pace and didn't seem Luke was overplaying anyone.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Luke's coaching style didn't have anything to do with a hard illegal back screen to Lonzo and Justise Winslow punching Ingram in the Brandon's.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Nah. And nobody really even got injured for real. Just a sprain here, a bruise there. Typical stuff of going thru an 82 season grind.
tofulakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

No. There's no correlation.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:38 am    Post subject:

If you mean injuries due to splintered asses acquired from wonky line-ups and an overly cautious medical staff, then yes, Luke's system is proned to injury. Just ask Randle the first half of the season. I think he played a total of 12 mins, combined! 😬
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I think playing less physically developed players heavy minutes is problematic....thought he played Ingram too heavy minutes during his rookie season, and thought he played Lonzo too many minutes this season. I said before the season, if Lonzo (with his frail frame) played heavy minutes, he would be injured by Christmas.....then in mid December, I admitted I was wrong....then by Christmas, the injuries started, and never ended. I do not think it is Luke's coaching style, but you simply cannot take underdeveloped 19 and 20 year olds that played less than 4o games the previous year against other 18-20 year olds, and throw them out there for 35 minutes a night against grown developed ultra athletes and expect their bodies to hold up for 82 games.

But what was the alternative? When the goal was to develop the players AND build a winning culture (which means actually winning games) you have to have talent. We didn't exactly have a lot of depth behind the two guys who were most frequently missing (BI and Zo). I expect a better back depth at the point and 3 this coming year. Especially if you get a PG or LBJ knowing their versatility allows different types of units.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Luke's coaching style didn't have anything to do with a hard illegal back screen to Lonzo and Justise Winslow punching Ingram in the Brandon's.

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I heard a comment the last couple of days that injuries in the NBA are up 30% this year!?? That seems like an impossible jump, but it does seem like there have been a lot of injuries

That is crazy if true? It sure seems like injuries have been ticking upward, which seems likely when you go at 100mph vs 65mph for 30+mpg. Anyone got any info on that?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

I think we need to revamp our medical staff. They seem pretty incompetent and wonder if our players getting the right treatment and even diagnosis
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Wino wrote:
I heard a comment the last couple of days that injuries in the NBA are up 30% this year!?? That seems like an impossible jump, but it does seem like there have been a lot of injuries

That is crazy if true? It sure seems like injuries have been ticking upward, which seems likely when you go at 100mph vs 65mph for 30+mpg. Anyone got any info on that?

I remember Vitti actually making this argument a few years ago, right after MDA left.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject:

PayasoLoco wrote:
I think we need to revamp our medical staff. They seem pretty incompetent and wonder if our players getting the right treatment and even diagnosis

Any insight on what they’re doing wrong?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject:

Look at the bodies of Lonzo/BI. They're so underdeveloped compared to many NBA players. I think it's unique to their underdevelopment, not Luke's "style."
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

no...just more cautious now
Mege
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I heard a comment the last couple of days that injuries in the NBA are up 30% this year!?? That seems like an impossible jump, but it does seem like there have been a lot of injuries this year.

The weird thing about it is that the league took away alot of the contact that had been allowed before and also mostly shut down the paint. This was all done in the hope that it would increase scoring and lessen wear and tear on the players who have been complaining about the number of games they play.

It is beginning to look like the physical play in the paint, slowed the game down but may actually lessen injuries and that perhaps the injuries are more a result of the speed of the game, rather than the toughness of it.

Any thoughts?

I have a feeling that an increase that sharp is a result of the league's new rules towards resting players. Teams need to use injuries as excuses to sit people without facing possible penalties. Although, I think you're onto something about the pace of play being a factor.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject:

Yes I think it might be. But it’s how you win in the modern NBA and it’s why the best teams use depth in the regular season. Faster pace leads to more possessions and more fatigued players. That’s gonna lead to more injuries because of more opportunity and players being tired. Doesn’t mean he should change his style.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

No.

Players also didn't adjust well to the changes this season. That first week of the season where it started earlier than usual messed with a lot of teams early on.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
No.

Players also didn't adjust well to the changes this season. That first week of the season where it started earlier than usual messed with a lot of teams early on.

More possessions = more opportunity to be injured IMO
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: