Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Here’s who the experts around the association have the Lakers picking in the NBA Draft:

Bleacher Report: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

ESPN: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

SB Nation: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State

Sports Illustrated: Mitchell Robinson, Chalmette HS

Mitchell Robinson is the only one I like in those mocks.

Robinson seems intriguing. He would probably need to spend most of the season in the G league, but so you think he will be available at 25?

I see him being gone by pick 20.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I would love for the Lakers to get some additional PG help.

Holiday is the guy I want.

If he is gone, I take Zhaire Smith if he is still on the board and hope for Brunson with the later pick.

No Hutchinson please. High bust potential.

Man if Zhaire is there at our pick, no way you pass on him for Holiday. As much as I like Aaron, you don't pass on Zhaire's Athleticism, motor, and defensive potential.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Not sure I have a "favorite" guard with the first round pick. Just want a player that can realistically take over the Caruso/Ennis role as backup PG.

Can any of the most mentioned contribute a quality 15-20mpg in year one? A Kuzma or Hart gem at PG with the pick? That would be my preference.

If not then they should be looking for a vet capable of doing so.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Love having no idea or recommendation for who we pick and complete confidence that we're going to nail it again.

With how good our scouting department is it makes Mitch giving away all our late round picks for so many years almost criminal for a GM to have done.

#BannersOverBillboards
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Moe Wagner declared, hiring agent...

https://twitter.com/moritz_weasley/status/985165014746222592
Scoffs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject:

The biggest holes we need to plug are a defensive big and a back-up pg. We lost many games in the 4th because of poor defensive rebounding. Instead of looking for a stretch 5, the FO should concentrate on rebounding and defensive 5s.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject:

maybe an idea of what to expect this year in regards to early declarations that have not hired agents...

Quote:
Jeff Goodman
‏@GoodmanESPN

There were 137 last year who declared — and 73 withdrew. My guess is it will be similar numbers this year. But a bunch of those kids who stayed in were not even D-1 kids.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject:

I assume we will use the the same criteria for our later picks last year (Kuz, Hart, TB)

High Character
Tough Minded
Fits in a transition style
Can Shoot
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Scoffs wrote:
The biggest holes we need to plug are a defensive big and a back-up pg. We lost many games in the 4th because of poor defensive rebounding. Instead of looking for a stretch 5, the FO should concentrate on rebounding and defensive 5s.

I'm having fun with this, but wouldn't Julius be the perfect defensive 5 if he was a legitimate 6'10 or 6'11?
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:

Man if Zhaire is there at our pick, no way you pass on him for Holiday. As much as I like Aaron, you don't pass on Zhaire's Athleticism, motor, and defensive potential.

I have said before that Zhaire Smith reminds me of a young Dwayne Wade.

Not to say he will have a HOF career like Wade, but he has a lot of potential to put it mildly.

If he somehow slides down the board, he would be a fantastic pick in my mind. I would love to get him or Holiday, but as others have said....I trust the Lakers front office to make the right pick as they see fit.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

If we keep the pick, I feel that we may do a draft and stash. We could use every penny possible to make room for Randle and two max free agents. This would also benefit Chicago, if we trade the pick to them, because they already have a lot of picks in the draft.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
I assume we will use the the same criteria for our later picks last year (Kuz, Hart, TB)

High Character
Tough Minded
Can Shoot

Brunson checks all those boxes.

I would also add "above average defender" to the wish list.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Isn't Zhaire supposed to be a top 15 pick? Possibly lottery?

That would take some extreme luck and GMs forgetting his existence in order for him to fall to 25.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

High Character
Tough Minded
Can Shoot

Brunson checks all those boxes.

I would also add "above average defender" to the wish list.

he's not gunna be the 1st round pick I don't think. Evans checks all of those boxes too
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

I was talking with a friend and he mentioned this possibility, so I'll throw this out there. Who would be OK with the Lakers trading this pick not as part of a Deng deal, but to get a higher draft pick in 2019? For example, what if another team has a player in mind at #25 that they really want to take, and they are willing to give up their 2019 1st rounder to do that? (And what if we just aren't in love with any of the players at 25?) What if it were the Suns, just as an example? They lost out on another 1st round pick this year when they lost the drawing that was done between Milwaukee and Miami. (They do get Miami's pick, but not Milwaukee's.) If Phoenix, a team that I believe will not be tanking next season, offers a top-10 protected pick in '19 for the #25, would anyone here like that idea? This would solve any issue of the Cleveland pick needing to come off the books to accommodate full max deals for LeBron and PG and also keeping Randle's cap hold, and it would mean that we'd have two 1st's at our disposal next season. We could use one of those to move Deng, or perhaps to move up in next year's draft, or we could simply have both picks to use as trade assets. Or, as the friend suggested, if we don't get either max player, perhaps we go the asset accumulation route and do something like absorb Faried and Arthur from the Nuggets, and get yet another 1st round pick from that. Then we might go into next year's draft with THREE 1st's, and then your flexibility is ratcheted up that much more.

Anyway, just a thought. Not my thought, but a thought!
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

HOF Rookie wrote:
Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:
Here’s who the experts around the association have the Lakers picking in the NBA Draft:

Bleacher Report: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

ESPN: Aaron Holiday, UCLA

SB Nation: Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State

Sports Illustrated: Mitchell Robinson, Chalmette HS

Mitchell Robinson is the only one I like in those mocks.

Robinson seems intriguing. He would probably need to spend most of the season in the G league, but so you think he will be available at 25?

I see him being gone by pick 20.

Yeah, if Robinson is there I think he’s a no brainer...though I’m not sure about his character, what even happened to him in college, he went to some small school for a minute and then just headed out after a couple of weeks and got suspended and never played anywhere? I guess I could look it up lol.

I like Robinson or Jontay Porter with our first pick, I don’t think Zu is going to pan out and we definitely need a young athletic project center to hopefully join our young core.

With our 2nd round pick, gotta go with a PG I think...our PG depth is terrible, GPII, Caruso? Lol. Devonte Graham is a great passer and a very very good shooter and is coming out as a senior, so may be more prepared to contribute.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I was talking with a friend and he mentioned this possibility, so I'll throw this out there. Who would be OK with the Lakers trading this pick not as part of a Deng deal, but to get a higher draft pick in 2019? For example, what if another team has a player in mind at #25 that they really want to take, and they are willing to give up their 2019 1st rounder to do that? (And what if we just aren't in love with any of the players at 25?) What if it were the Suns, just as an example? They lost out on another 1st round pick this year when they lost the drawing that was done between Milwaukee and Miami. (They do get Miami's pick, but not Milwaukee's.) If Phoenix, a team that I believe will not be tanking next season, offers a top-10 protected pick in '19 for the #25, would anyone here like that idea? This would solve any issue of the Cleveland pick needing to come off the books to accommodate full max deals for LeBron and PG and also keeping Randle's cap hold, and it would mean that we'd have two 1st's at our disposal next season. We could use one of those to move Deng, or perhaps to move up in next year's draft, or we could simply have both picks to use as trade assets. Or, as the friend suggested, if we don't get either max player, perhaps we go the asset accumulation route and do something like absorb Faried and Arthur from the Nuggets, and get yet another 1st round pick from that. Then we might go into next year's draft with THREE 1st's, and then your flexibility is ratcheted up that much more.

I really like this idea. Helps cap-wise .. then maybe we can pair our two late-teens picks next year for a late-lotto pick!
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:

I have said before that Zhaire Smith reminds me of a young Dwayne Wade.

Not to say he will have a HOF career like Wade, but he has a lot of potential to put it mildly.

If he somehow slides down the board, he would be a fantastic pick in my mind. I would love to get him or Holiday, but as others have said....I trust the Lakers front office to make the right pick as they see fit.

I can absolutely see the comparison. Both guys had high rebound rates and terrific motors. Strong frames with elite athleticism. Zhaire is the pick that a GM could really make his name by reaching and taking him a bit too high this year with the hopes he pays off down the road like a Wade/Russ.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

After watching the first three series of the playoffs... I'm more than ever convinced that we need to add more shooters than athletes.

No way we can beat teams like GSW and Philly with athleticism alone.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
After watching the first three series of the playoffs... I'm more than ever convinced that we need to add more shooters than athletes.

No way we can beat teams like GSW and Philly with athleticism alone.

We don’t even have athleticism over Philly though. We have slow lumbering centers like Lopez, Zubac and Bryant. And Randle who acts like a Center but he’s too short on both height and arms to play one and gets beat by bigger players. Without a jump shot, he’s not gonna serve much use as a serious option on a contending team.

Kuzma and Ingram are great gets for both on and off ball. Ingram especially has gotten a lot better shooting this year and off the catch and shoot. Kuzma being a scorer on any offense is huge for this team.

The Center position and the bench overall is gonna need a major overhaul. Hart fits like a glove assuming we get George in the offseason, but we gotta fix everything else.

Basically, we’re gonna need to really hit a home fun with gems in the draft again. Fix that Center for an athletic and rebounding one, especially if he can stretch the floor. Get that backup point guard and wing player that provide shooting and defense. We don’t need more guys that can hold the ball and iso, we need off ball shooters.

Shooters and an athletic Center is what we need in this draft. Zubac is done with this team and Bryant is also too slow. Hopefully someone like Mitchell Robinson will be available.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

High Character
Tough Minded
Can Shoot

No.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Isn't Zhaire supposed to be a top 15 pick? Possibly lottery?

That would take some extreme luck and GMs forgetting his existence in order for him to fall to 25.

Yup. Marion without as much reach or elite twitch.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

It's expected that 2019 is a weaker class than this season.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Even if that's the case, a pick just outside the top 10 has to be worth more than this year's 25th pick.

But I'll reverse the question: would you trade #25 and our 1st next year to move up into, say, the 15-20 range if it meant you could get Zhaire Smith?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Even if that's the case, a pick just outside the top 10 has to be worth more than this year's 25th pick.

But I'll reverse the question: would you trade #25 and our 1st next year to move up into, say, the 15-20 range if it meant you could get Zhaire Smith?

No. I get the hype behind Zhaire, but the dude has some ball-handling issues, the 3pt shot needs refinement. He's a PF in a SF-elite wing body, which is why I liken him to Marion so much.

Also, #10 in next season's draft may not warrant this year's #25. It seems logical that it would, but frankly, I'm not convinced of the depth at the top of the 2019 draft for it to matter.

Trading Deng + #25 won't get back a lottery pick. It may get a 2nd rounder, because you're essentially asking a team to pay $50mil as a remainder of Deng's contract for, free. So, why would a team hand back a lottery pick?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 92 of 494
Jump to: