OFFICIAL BRANDON INGRAM THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1038, 1039, 1040 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
the first 3rd of the year, a lot of his progression was due to strength - he was attacking the basket relentlessly and finishing. But for the rest of the year, he didn't attack the basket nearly as much..played a lot of good 'floor game' , orchestrating, his jumper started to fall more, midrange included.
It's interesting watching these young guys progress. In the second year, you still only get consistency in facets for portions of a season. until next year, when he can put it all together more often.

Even athletically - as LakerSanity described his hopes for athletic improvement. I think his athletic improvement this year was hidden from view, because he was banged up most of the year. Seriously, go look at the injury report on rotowire - those injuries would linger for multiple games past those reports, as well - from the eye test. And when he would come back from time off - I'd say wow, ok, this is the athleticism that he actually has - but injuries have slowed him down. It's why he stopped attacking the basket so much. He didn't have the same explosion because he was banged up. Next year the athletic improvement should be even more startling because it was hidden this year. Athletic improvement isn't so common - but I think Ingram due to his lack of strength, is a case that can improve.

This is why I try to stay away from player comps with him.. He's so physically underdeveloped that it's hard to say where his ceiling is athletically. And I would agree that we didn't get to see a lot of bouncy Ingram this season. He's certainly a lot faster getting up the floor when he isn't hobbled.

https://3ball.io/plays?actt=5%2C6%2C40%2C41%2C42%2C43%2C44%2C71%2C72%2C73%2C74%2C75%2C76%2C97%2C98%2C99%2C100&evtt=1&p1id=1627742&playId=0021700312_40
look at him run up the court here. he does not look healthy, running kinda like a big guy - specifically look at him once he passes the 3pt line before catching, how upright - that's a sign of a guy who's not healthy. he still had 30 points this game. I'm telling you he was banged up 60% of the season, from the eye test

I’ve noticed this too. Also saw it in the game at Atlanta on the fastbreak when he got the and-1

I can see a clear difference between an injured and healthy Brandon Ingram... healthy Ingram is very hard to stop going downhill with momentum.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Let’s take a look at Brandon’s draft class... who’s outperforming him at this point?

Simmons. That’s it.

It’s Simmons & him from the 16 class. Murray 3rd.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Let’s take a look at Brandon’s draft class... who’s outperforming him at this point?

Simmons. That’s it.

Yea, Jamal Murray is pretty good. Don't completely discount Jaylen Brown either, even if he may not be in the same class as those three.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Yea, Jamal Murray is pretty good. Don't completely discount Jaylen Brown either, even if he may not be in the same class as those three.

Jamaal Murray would be exposed if it weren't for Jokic IMO. He makes Murray be able to focus on his primary skill. Scoring. He doesn't have to try and initiate. He really couldn't have fallen into a better situation. I'm a big fan of Jaylen. Kid is aggressive and knows how to play to his ability.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Jamaal Murray would be exposed if it weren't for Jokic IMO. He makes Murray be able to focus on his primary skill. Scoring. He doesn't have to try and initiate. He really couldn't have fallen into a better situation. I'm a big fan of Jaylen. Kid is aggressive and knows how to play to his ability.

Agreed.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Go put on a Celtics jersey then
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Go put on a Celtics jersey then

Damn Son... You went there!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Agreed.

You agree with the Murray take, Mike? Or just on the Brown take? Surprised if it is the former. Murray has skill. In the 7 games Jokic missed this year, he averaged 19/3/3 in 28 minutes per game (which includes one game where he only went 2/1/3 in 16 minutes).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Man I have an irrational hatred for Jaylen Brown at this point. All those hot takes about "Brown being 30 times better then Ingram" on r/nba last year made me lose my (bleep) mind.

I can tell Brown is a cool dude too by the (bleep) I see of him off the court, but my brain can't not root for the dude to have a bad game every time I check a box score. Only bright side to this situation is that he's a Celtic, which makes my irrational hatred a little more rational.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Agreed.

You agree with the Murray take, Mike? Or just on the Brown take? Surprised if it is the former. Murray has skill. In the 7 games Jokic missed this year, he averaged 19/3/3 in 28 minutes per game (which includes one game where he only went 2/1/3 in 16 minutes).

That's my point, he can flat out get buckets. But when it comes to making others better, defending. Rebounding. Doing things besides hitting jumpers and scoring. He offers little else. Not trying to knock him, I think he has a bright future. I'm just saying I think having jokic do all of the half court playmaking takes the part of his game he struggles with away from him and allows him to focus on his primary strength. He's a 2 getting away with playing PG because of the team he fell to. I'm just not sure hes as successful on a different team where he's either expected to run a half court offense or be a full time sg.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Agreed and I we all know that BI is younger and a late bloomer. Simmons is more of a early bloomer like Lebron... so in the end BI might catch up to Simmons, especially if he continues to shoot the ball so much better from distance.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:50 am    Post subject:

BI had a fine season and grew as the season went on. He has a lot to work on but he looks like a star in the making.

He gotta get stronger and be more available.
Work on the outside shot
Learn to drive and dish, keep you head up when driving to the hoop
Defense was good but can be great
Continue to become more explosive and athletic, good strength

While Simmons is clearly better BI is on a path to being great and he has the right attitude and work ethic to get there. He is also learning how to lead.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject:

The 16-5-4 average he finished the season with still puts him in good to historic company for a 20 year old player: https://i.imgur.com/j1LaR5E.png

Expecting him to up the ante next season.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BizLA wrote:

Simmons. That’s it.

Agreed.

Both, but the Murray take too. He's a shooter first, playmaker second, and the way the Nuggets run that offense with Jokic at the top of the key while Jamal Murray is running off of every screen, is exactly the playtype that facilitates his success.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/lwoslalakers/status/985235898689302528?s=21

This is great.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

I think BI has the most weight on his shoulders this off season.

He made good strides from year 1 to year 2, but this is a crucial year.

I know he came into the league young, but at some point he has to put it together ...year 3 is usually the deciding year for stars.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:

I know he came into the league young, but at some point he has to put it together ...year 3 is usually the deciding year for stars.

I don't think he's in the "needs to put it together" category, he just needs to continue to improve like has been since his rookie season.

He started off way behind the curve, but once we realized how far behind he started he didn't slow down. He keeps improving like this and we're looking at a 20 point guy next season
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

I don't think he's in the "needs to put it together" category, he just needs to continue to improve like has been since his rookie season.

He started off way behind the curve, but once we realized how far behind he started he didn't slow down. He keeps improving like this and we're looking at a 20 point guy next season

thats fair ..but i wont be the fan in year 6 holding out hope saying wait till he bulks up.

If hes going to be a star he should show glimpses of stardom next season.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

thats fair ..but i wont be the fan in year 6 holding out hope saying wait till he bulks up.

Dipo showed no signs of stardom until year 5.. and Ingram is a late bloomer. I want to see what he looks like in year 4..year 3 might not show many signs , he's got a long way to go
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
Endless3D wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

I mean if we're still waiting in year 6 then he probably stopped improving like he has been at some point.

But at the same time, if we're still waiting in year 6 then he's probably not a Laker.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

So BI showed no glimpses of stardom this year? Really?

Gotta love the analysis of folks who watch the games with their eyes closed.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject:

I’m very proud of Ingram’s progression as a shooter. His 3 point shooting largely increased and became much better as a catch and shoot player to go along with his iso mid range.

Admittedly after the end of last season and the first 10 or so games of this season, I was really skeptical of Ingram’s fit on this team. Tended to drive constantly with not much success, shot long mid ranges on a not so good percentage, etc. But that’s improved a lot.

I’m expecting that BIG step for him next season. Regardless what moves happen this offseason, I expect him being stronger and more efficient at the free throw line. Improves those two factors and then the rest falls into place as an all star in this league.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

oh shut up..he had some awesome moments, but at this point i would put the adds at 50-50 he becomes an all star.

I just hold him to a high standard considering he was a #2 pick

Im just saying by year three you can usually tell if a player is going to be a role player or actually turn into the star you hoped when you drafted them 2nd overall.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:

I don't think he did, doesn't mean I don't expect him to get there.
Reasonable minds can disagree, man
greek laker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

he needs to stay healthy at first. He needs to attempt at least 4 threes
per game.and he needs to be a 20 pts player at year 3. he is getting there i think
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1038, 1039, 1040 ... 1883, 1884, 1885  Next
Page 1039 of 1885
Jump to: