Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
I was talking with a friend and he mentioned this possibility, so I'll throw this out there. Who would be OK with the Lakers trading this pick not as part of a Deng deal, but to get a higher draft pick in 2019? For example, what if another team has a player in mind at #25 that they really want to take, and they are willing to give up their 2019 1st rounder to do that? (And what if we just aren't in love with any of the players at 25?) What if it were the Suns, just as an example? They lost out on another 1st round pick this year when they lost the drawing that was done between Milwaukee and Miami. (They do get Miami's pick, but not Milwaukee's.) If Phoenix, a team that I believe will not be tanking next season, offers a top-10 protected pick in '19 for the #25, would anyone here like that idea? This would solve any issue of the Cleveland pick needing to come off the books to accommodate full max deals for LeBron and PG and also keeping Randle's cap hold, and it would mean that we'd have two 1st's at our disposal next season. We could use one of those to move Deng, or perhaps to move up in next year's draft, or we could simply have both picks to use as trade assets. Or, as the friend suggested, if we don't get either max player, perhaps we go the asset accumulation route and do something like absorb Faried and Arthur from the Nuggets, and get yet another 1st round pick from that. Then we might go into next year's draft with THREE 1st's, and then your flexibility is ratcheted up that much more.

Anyway, just a thought. Not my thought, but a thought!

It's expected that 2019 is a weaker class than this season.

Even if that's the case, a pick just outside the top 10 has to be worth more than this year's 25th pick.

But I'll reverse the question: would you trade #25 and our 1st next year to move up into, say, the 15-20 range if it meant you could get Zhaire Smith?

No. I get the hype behind Zhaire, but the dude has some ball-handling issues, the 3pt shot needs refinement. He's a PF in a SF-elite wing body, which is why I liken him to Marion so much.

Also, #10 in next season's draft may not warrant this year's #25. It seems logical that it would, but frankly, I'm not convinced of the depth at the top of the 2019 draft for it to matter.

Trading Deng + #25 won't get back a lottery pick. It may get a 2nd rounder, because you're essentially asking a team to pay $50mil as a remainder of Deng's contract for, free. So, why would a team hand back a lottery pick?

I didn't say Deng. Just #25 and our 1st next year to move up to around 15 was basically what I was asking. Sounds like that's a no from you, but say someone you really loved was there at 15 that is semi-realistic to be there..

What if any of the following players were there at around #15, what say you:

Shai
Knox
both Bridges
Troy Brown
Robert Williams
Sexton
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject:

My bad I misread the second sentence.

In the short term, it makes sense because it helps open up caproom, even if it's just a little bit with the #25 pick guaranteed.

I'm just not as personally optimistic about next year's draft. The past two were ridiculously strong. Last draft was super PG heavy, where franchise type playmakers fell down to nearly 15.

This season, it's about all of the elite bigs within the Top 10.

Next season, it's RJ Barrett (legit), Zion (6'5" elite athlete 5?), Cam Reddish (lottery guy), Bol Bol (I don't even know what to do with him), Tre Jones (TBD), Simi (bleep), Nassar Little. Maybe Daniel Gafford.

It's weird, because someone like RJ Barrett is #1 in next year's draft, but vs the 2017 draft, Top 5. Someone like Mo Bamba who is a Top 10 in this year's draft may go Top 3 next year. I just don't see the strength of class enough for it to warrant true benefit against the Lakers. The Lakers would have to get VERY lucky to have a guy drop.

They were already superfortunate just to get #2 picks in multiple years, and 3 picks in the strongest draft class with depth in a long time. For whatever reason, the depth runs out.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

I really wouldn’t mind taking Mitchell Robinson or Jontay Porter at all .. gonna some cheap solid bigs . Once we load up wings.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
My bad I misread the second sentence.

In the short term, it makes sense because it helps open up caproom, even if it's just a little bit with the #25 pick guaranteed.

I'm just not as personally optimistic about next year's draft. The past two were ridiculously strong. Last draft was super PG heavy, where franchise type playmakers fell down to nearly 15.

This season, it's about all of the elite bigs within the Top 10.

Next season, it's RJ Barrett (legit), Zion (6'5" elite athlete 5?), Cam Reddish (lottery guy), Bol Bol (I don't even know what to do with him), Tre Jones (TBD), Simi (bleep), Nassar Little. Maybe Daniel Gafford.

It's weird, because someone like RJ Barrett is #1 in next year's draft, but vs the 2017 draft, Top 5. Someone like Mo Bamba who is a Top 10 in this year's draft may go Top 3 next year. I just don't see the strength of class enough for it to warrant true benefit against the Lakers. The Lakers would have to get VERY lucky to have a guy drop.

They were already superfortunate just to get #2 picks in multiple years, and 3 picks in the strongest draft class with depth in a long time. For whatever reason, the depth runs out.

Depth is relative to each quandrant of a round, though. You've said that this year's draft isn't close to as deep as last year's at the back end of the 1st..where Kuz, Hart and others were available even in the 2nd.
Next year's draft could have a low number of all-star potential players, but the teens could be filled with borderline starter guys, you never know. Much of that is dependent on college player development - solid CBB players may take leaps next season
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Depth is relative to each quandrant of a round, though. You've said that this year's draft isn't close to as deep as last year's at the back end of the 1st..where Kuz, Hart and others were available even in the 2nd.
Next year's draft could have a low number of all-star potential players, but the teens could be filled with borderline starter guys, you never know. Much of that is dependent on college player development - solid CBB players may take leaps next season

It could, but I don't think this is like the 2017 draft, where it seems there was one clear superstar (Fultz), but the talent into the late lottery had Kennard (which I expected) and pushed other guys down (Josh Hart, Thomas Bryant were both returns to their respective schools). I had a fair idea of what guys would be on the radar because they were returning back to school.

I don't have hope for Bolden at Duke, and both Duke and Kentucky turned into 1 and dones. Villanova (maybe) has Divincenzo back. Other guys may rise up, but the depth at the top helps push great talent into the late 1st. If we want #15 that bad, it's because we expect to get a "top 10" caliber guy at that spot.

We've had good feel for the past two drafts in regards to depth or talent at the top. It's not the same for the next upcoming season.

Terra4Gary
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

My wants in this order for the first round:

1. Troy Brown
2. Chandler Hutchison
3. Aaron Holiday
4. De'Anthony Melton
5. Jalen Brunson
6. Jacob Evans
7. Landry Shamet

If any of these guys would fall to us with our second round pick, I would likely pass out:

Bruno Fernando, Moritz Wagner, Hamidou Diallo, Chimezie Metu or Devonte' Graham
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

Im looking at all these draft sites and see the Lakers second round pick in various spots?? Does anybody know what number do we have? 25 and 47 I believe?????
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

lakerfanaticPT wrote:
Im looking at all these draft sites and see the Lakers second round pick in various spots?? Does anybody know what number do we have? 25 and 47 I believe?????

right...25 and 47...some have yet to update
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Would anyone trade the #25th pick to Atlanta for the #30th and #33rd picks?
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I don’t have such a positive view of the talent late in this draft. I think quality over quantity is best this year. Can we move up a few spots if we trade our 2nd rounder along with our first. I would find that more interesting.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

saw Anfernee Simons pulled out of Hoop Summit at the last minute.....speculation is his team is trying to hide him....expected to only do solo workouts for teams.....right now, I lean towards staying away from the kid in the 1st.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don’t have such a positive view of the talent late in this draft. I think quality over quantity is best this year. Can we move up a few spots if we trade our 2nd rounder along with our first. I would find that more interesting.

Maybe to #23, but probably to #24 is a more reasonable expectation. If the second round pick was in the 30's instead of the mid 40's it would be of more help in improving the first round pick.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
saw Anfernee Simons pulled out of Hoop Summit at the last minute.....speculation is his team is trying to hide him....expected to only do solo workouts for teams.....right now, I lean towards staying away from the kid in the 1st.

Such a gamble to draft him.. I don't think he aligns with our plans. He has the body of a 16year old..won't be good for 4-5 years
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Terra4Gary wrote:
My wants in this order for the first round:

1. Troy Brown
2. Chandler Hutchison
3. Aaron Holiday
4. De'Anthony Melton
5. Jalen Brunson
6. Jacob Evans
7. Landry Shamet

If any of these guys would fall to us with our second round pick, I would likely pass out:

Bruno Fernando, Moritz Wagner, Hamidou Diallo, Chimezie Metu or Devonte' Graham

For the 1st round pick, I want:

1) chandler Hutchison
2) Troy brown
3) Isaac Bonga
PartyMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Holiday could be a great 6 th man and backup to Ball. I like his potential defending the pg spot too.

I like Simons based purely on potential. For a late 1st maybe they could take that chance.

Jevon Carter if he’s there at 47 you take him, IMO, regardless of who you took in the 1st. He’s a different player than Fish, but I think he could have that kind of impact for 10+ years.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

What are the thoughts here on Issac Bonga?

Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Too rough around the edges. If he's staying overseas I guess, but even still to me he's more of a second Rd pick than first.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

He seems to do many things well, but nothing extra-ordinary. I'm most put off by his foot speed /athletic (in)ability. Rich man's Kyle Anderson to me..
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:

Does he have any scoring instinct? That jumpshot needs a total revamp. He gets away with a lot because of his physique at that position. Yes, he can handle and make the passes, but I've seen absolutely nothing of him in the interior taking advantage of players his size, or showing any dexterity along the perimeter with any individual shot creation.

I've seen multiple vids of him, which isn't much considering the coverage, but I'm highly concerned that he's dominating by size. Not really seeing the pocket pass in PnR. Shawn Marion follow through and he shoots outward unnecessarily. There's almost nothing of him showing real defensive impact. 1.5 stlpg isn't going to tell me much of anything considering size/wingspan at that position.

Yes, I get that Ben Simmons couldn't shoot, but at least he did play in the paint with some toughness and hang there, showed some rim protection, and ran the offense as well. Not everything was because of his outright size.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Snippet from Insider.

Quote:

Devon Hall
6'5", 6'9"
95th percentile C&S

Operating mostly out of spot ups and pindowns in college, it was useful to see Hall in more of a combo guard role in Portsmouth. While he’s an average athlete who lacks a degree of shiftiness, the former Cavalier is sure-handed with the ball and can make most basic ball-screen reads necessary to moonlight at point guard for stretches in the second unit. With a 3.06 assist-to-turnover ratio last season, Hall has vision and willingness to make the extra pass that allows him to slide into any system quite seamlessly.

adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Reminder: Key NBA Draft Dates....

May 15
NBA Draft Lottery (Chicago)

May 16-20
NBA Draft Combine 2018 (Chicago)

June 11
NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)

June 21
NBA Draft 2018
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Marc J. Spears

Duke center Wendell Carter is expected to announce his 2018 NBA Draft decision on Monday on his 19th birthday at 12 PM EST, sources told The Undefeated.

guessing there is a 99.9% chance he declares?
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakerfanaticPT wrote:

right...25 and 47...some have yet to update

Thank you
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Reminder: Key NBA Draft Dates....

May 15
NBA Draft Lottery (Chicago)

May 16-20
NBA Draft Combine 2018 (Chicago)

June 11
NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)

June 21
NBA Draft 2018

gonna be weird watching the draft lottery and not being scared to death about losing about our pick
lakerfanaticPT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Scared to death about moving into the top 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 93 of 494
Jump to: